The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 December 2020, 07:46 AM   #1
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rhodium to Slate just name change?

I know this has popped up on a couple of other threads, but I didn’t want to hijack them.
Can anyone confirm that this is just a name change? I’ll be getting a ‘Rhodium’ YM in a couple of weeks and I want to verify that the color (shade) is the same in the newly named Slate.
I know there was some discussion as to whether Rolex actually used Rhodium dust in the paint, but I don’t really care about that as much as the actual color.
I know the Daytona ‘Slate’ is definitely a different hue than the various Rhodium references.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 07:50 AM   #2
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
following
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 11:32 AM   #3
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
I believe name change. Same Dial
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 11:56 AM   #4
daysky1
"TRF" Member

Rhodium, Slate, Grey, I have heard all 3. And then "the Winbledom"...without mention of color...I am of the opinion they are all the same...at least on the Datejust anyway..don't know for sure about the YM, nice watch for sure.
daysky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 02:46 PM   #5
RolexOBGYN
"TRF" Member

Slate is definitely much darker than rhodium. Totally a different colour.
RolexOBGYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 08:31 PM   #6
Max 66
Banned

I followed with interest the YM Rhodium dial and in the last 6 months I got a chance to see it on several different occasions. I visited my AD right 3 days ago, with the intention to buy the YM, but they had available only the 37 mm case in Rhodium dial; they told me that in a few weeks they will procure the watch for me and they did not mention anything about any change of dial color. I am 100% sure that the 37 mm they showed me is the Rhodium tone. Anyway I will go to the AD next week and I will further investigate whether it is only, as I believe, a change in the name or if it is a new color dial.
Max 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 09:02 PM   #7
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622
Personally I think there is something going on here and there must be a reason for the name change. The entire range of rhodium dials on Rolex's website has been changed.

A really good review of the YM40 on an AD website has been pulled:
https://mamic.hr/2019/10/09/rolex-ya...autical-watch/

This review stated that the YM40 dial was plated in rhodium. This is also what I was told when buying my YM. I do believe it because of the way the dial behaves in sunlight - it absorbs the light in a way that other dials don't. could this review have been pulled because it is no longer accurate with the new slate dials? Its a shame because it some of the best pictures of the YM out there!

Also, the steep rise in precious metal prices, this year (rhodium has gone from 6k-16k), along with volatility, makes it much more expensive to produce dials with rhodium (over $500 per gram) at scale.

I think we won't know for certain until someone buys a new YM40 with hang tags etc stating 'slate' and compare them but my guess is that the dials either contain less or no rhodium now due to the price increase so that is the reason for the change.
Old 5 December 2020, 09:17 PM   #8
Jimmy66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose 104 View Post
Personally I think there is something going on here and there must be a reason for the name change. The entire range of rhodium dials on Rolex's website has been changed.

This review stated that the YM40 dial was plated in rhodium. This is also what I was told when buying my YM. I do believe it because of the way the dial behaves in sunlight - it absorbs the light in a way that other dials don't. could this review have been pulled because it is no longer accurate with the new slate dials? Its a shame because it some of the best pictures of the YM out there!

Also, the steep rise in precious metal prices, this year (rhodium has gone from 6k-16k), along with volatility, makes it much more expensive to produce dials with rhodium (over $500 per gram) at scale.

I think we won't know for certain until someone buys a new YM40 with hang tags etc stating 'slate' and compare them but my guess is that the dials either contain less or no rhodium now due to the price increase so that is the reason for the change.
My AD has earmarked the first YM40 (Rhodium/Slate) of 2021 for myself, so I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. You are partially to blame for this impulse buy, btw......your pics are superb

I suspect you could be correct - pertaining to the price of rhodium, and Rolex no longer using it.
Jimmy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 09:29 PM   #9
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy66 View Post
My AD has earmarked the first YM40 (Rhodium/Slate) of 2021 for myself, so I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. You are partially to blame for this impulse buy, btw......your pics are superb

I suspect you could be correct - pertaining to the price of rhodium, and Rolex no longer using it.
Thanks Jimmy - that's very kind of you The watch is very photogenic!

Great news that you are allocated a piece. Keen to see your pictures and hear how you get on. I suspect that any changes to the dial will take a while to filter through so my guess is that your piece will say rhodium on the hang tag.
Old 5 December 2020, 09:38 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

The Rhodium dials do not contain any precious metal all they are is just paint on a brass dial .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 09:41 PM   #11
MisterG12
"TRF" Member

Not sure if you followed my topic posted earlier this year DJ41 dark rhodium turning purple. I am wondering if it is just a name change or possibly a manufacturing issue with rhodium dials. RSC swapped my dial no questions asked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MisterG12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 09:45 PM   #12
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The Rhodium dials do not contain any precious metal all they are is just paint on a brass dial .
Interesting - thanks. There seems to be contradictory information in reviews etc., including from folks like Tim Mosso. Can I ask where your information is from? Is there any way we can find out definitively from Rolex? The review on mamics website (AD) claimed it was rhodium plated and other reviews talk about rhodium dust being used in paint etc.
Old 5 December 2020, 10:09 PM   #13
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterG12 View Post
Not sure if you followed my topic posted earlier this year DJ41 dark rhodium turning purple. I am wondering if it is just a name change or possibly a manufacturing issue with rhodium dials. RSC swapped my dial no questions asked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wow, never seen that before. Looks like the paint was applied too thinly and/or the metal underneath was oxidised? I would have wanted it changed too but would also want to keep that unique dial. I will keep an eye on mine!
Old 5 December 2020, 10:22 PM   #14
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexOBGYN View Post
Slate is definitely much darker than rhodium. Totally a different colour.
Not so certain...

Below are both. Not too certain about the change. Next time I'm at the AD I'll inquire; last time they were still calling the YM Dark Rhodium!!! Seems like they may have changed the name as it suggested the dial was PM and it's not. Perhaps there could be Slate and Dark Slate in the future.

Slate dial

Dark Rhodium (YM):

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 10:41 PM   #15
MisterG12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow, never seen that before. Looks like the paint was applied too thinly and/or the metal underneath was oxidised? I would have wanted it changed too but would also want to keep that unique dial. I will keep an eye on mine!

No way RSC was sending their mistake back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MisterG12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 11:02 PM   #16
JSol1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Thanks for all the replies. I am in a bit of a unique situation (a good one). There is a YM Rhodium/Slate sitting under our Xmas tree as we speak. My AD knew I was interested in this piece and I knew my wife was looking to gift me a watch. I told him yes and to text my wife as if I don’t know.
Since I now know I will get one and can’t see it until the 25th, it’s killing me. As I said I really fell in love with the watches color shade and I only care that the ‘Slate’ presents the same as the dark rhodium.
Although the AD called it a Rhodium, that just because he’s used to the older description.
JSol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 11:08 PM   #17
Wingslogo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller

My card says dark rhodium, slate is going to be different. Just like the variants in blue.

Dark Rhodium is tough to beat!!

Wingslogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 11:18 PM   #18
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Think is probably just a change in name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 12:30 AM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Interesting - thanks. There seems to be contradictory information in reviews etc., including from folks like Tim Mosso. Can I ask where your information is from? Is there any way we can find out definitively from Rolex? The review on mamics website (AD) claimed it was rhodium plated and other reviews talk about rhodium dust being used in paint etc.
You can believe what you want to believe, I only deal in facts and not fantasy that someone on the net or AD said. Likewise the champagne dials can assure you are not mixed with champagne it's just the colour.They quote the words Platinum and Gold on the ceramic inserts but in the real world it's just a thin PVD coating microns thick.But using the words gold Rhodium and platinum makes it sound expensive.Now the dial on the 116610 LV ,that at one time was quoted by Rolex as being green gold claim was removed from the Rolex site.The dial is a mainly a Aluminum disc they apply a mixture of gold powder and aluminium powder to get the shade of green its very similar to PVD coating its not solid gold, if it was it would have to have a assay mark.Even some of the solid gold Rolex watches the dials are not gold but painted brass.I once read on the net they sprinkle all dials with magic Foo Foo dust and as we all know if its on the net on the likes of Youtube it must be true I dont think.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 6 December 2020, 12:33 AM   #20
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Think is probably just a change in name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DavidSW has one of each for sale right now. Maybe he will see this thread and weigh in.

Roger Lococco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 04:05 AM   #21
solomon23
"TRF" Member

Curious about this too as I just got one of these beauties yesterday. The dealer called it Rhodium but nowhere on my hang tag of any Rolex paperwork does it say a color that I can see. The receipt they printed for the sale does say Dark Rhodium on it
solomon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 04:18 AM   #22
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You can believe what you want to believe, I only deal in facts and not fantasy that someone on the net or AD said. Likewise the champagne dials can assure you are not mixed with champagne it's just the colour.They quote the words Platinum and Gold on the ceramic inserts but in the real world it's just a thin PVD coating microns thick.But using the words gold Rhodium and platinum makes it sound expensive.Now the dial on the 116610 LV ,that at one time was quoted by Rolex as being green gold claim was removed from the Rolex site.The dial is a mainly a Aluminum disc they apply a mixture of gold powder and aluminium powder to get the shade of green its very similar to PVD coating its not solid gold, if it was it would have to have a assay mark.Even some of the solid gold Rolex watches the dials are not gold but painted brass.I once read on the net they sprinkle all dials with magic Foo Foo dust and as we all know if its on the net on the likes of Youtube it must be true I dont think.
The YM with the platinum dial has a dial made out of platinum.

RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 04:24 AM   #23
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
The YM with the platinum dial has a dial made out of platinum.

Quite true and hallmarked 950 for Platinum, but the Rhodium dials are just paint on brass.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 6 December 2020, 04:43 AM   #24
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
I am pretty sure the older YMs actually had platinum in the dials
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 04:51 AM   #25
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon23 View Post
Curious about this too as I just got one of these beauties yesterday. The dealer called it Rhodium but nowhere on my hang tag of any Rolex paperwork does it say a color that I can see. The receipt they printed for the sale does say Dark Rhodium on it
That's strange my hang tag says rhodium
Old 6 December 2020, 05:23 AM   #26
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
I am pretty sure the older YMs actually had platinum in the dials
Yes the dial and bezel was made from platinum,don't you think I would know that already .

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 6 December 2020, 05:29 AM   #27
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Rhodium to Slate just name change?

I heard the 116619lb dials are made of crushed Keebler elves. Is this true? Very unethical by Rolex.
Old 6 December 2020, 05:56 AM   #28
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I have a slate DJ and it looks lighter than dark rhodium to me, on a DJ that is. The colors should be the same no matter the model or am I missing something.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 07:08 AM   #29
HansSolo
"TRF" Member

I'm thinking it's just a name change - the colors of the pieces still look the same. The 'Wimbledon' Slate is a light grey while the Datejust 41 'new slate' is the exact same as the Dark Rhodium - same color also of the YM 40/37.

The Datejust 31 in rose/steel is now called slate, but DJ 31 gold/steel and steel is still called Dark Grey! Someone on the Rolex website has begun a descent into madness..
HansSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 09:29 AM   #30
Max 66
Banned

I do not believe that cost is an issue for Rolex. If the dark rhodium dial would be more precious than other dials they could have simply priced higher as they do for mother of pearl or meteorite for example.
Max 66 is offline   Reply With Quote