The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 December 2020, 12:50 PM   #1
Mr_A_Love_Rolex
"TRF" Member

5513 Rolex Sub

Hi guys,

I picked this Vintage Rolex up from a deceased estate.

Can't believe this find.

I am not looking to sell this watch.

Serial is 1011xxx.

Any idea what year this 5513 is?

What Mark the bezel is?

What is the value of this watch head alone in today's market?

Many thanks,

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: png 5513 Rolex.png (252.8 KB, 361 views)
Mr_A_Love_Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 01:07 PM   #2
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Nice - they won't provide valuations here, but will comment on authenticity etc. You will need better pictures. Go and snap some photos in day light, front back and sides, then post the pics here you will have more success.

A 1 million serial is around 1964, so the tail end of gilt dials. I can see puffy lume which is a good sign, but really need far better pictures to comment on the dial.

Would love to hear more about the estate sale and how you found it.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 01:51 PM   #3
Mr_A_Love_Rolex
"TRF" Member

Another Photo of Dial

Plexi is pretty scratched, hard to get a nice photo. But here's another one.
Attached Images
File Type: png 5513 rolex dial.png (251.8 KB, 346 views)
Old 5 December 2020, 02:02 PM   #4
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Based on the serial, it's probably from 1964. There will also be a year engraved into the caseback, it may be possible to unscrew it using your thumbs.

The insert is a correct mk1 insert.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 02:14 PM   #5
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Based on the serial, it's probably from 1964.
Sounds about right. Search for "gilt 5513" on Chrono 24 for an idea of prices. It's worth a fair bit, but we need better photos.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 03:43 PM   #6
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Be weary all members.

OP is the same guy that tried to sell a cobbled up 1680 a while back. See below thread.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=650351
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 05:57 PM   #7
Mr_A_Love_Rolex
"TRF" Member

That was me indeed. I learned my lesson not to offer a watch for sale without having you experts check it first. That listing was pulled down from ebay within the hour once it was brought to my attention. This is clearly mentioned and evident in the thread. It even fooled a member on the forum by the name of Mansell92 who was making me offers to buy it. That is why he started the thread. He wanted to know if it was legit. I suspect "alwayshere" is a mate of the now banned "Mansell92" or perhaps him on another account.
Old 5 December 2020, 06:11 PM   #8
lupus66
"TRF" Member

Nice gilt. Took a hit at 11. If dial is glossy which i think it is then you have a 30k watch.
lupus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 06:31 PM   #9
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_A_Love_Rolex View Post
That was me indeed. I learned my lesson not to offer a watch for sale without having you experts check it first. That listing was pulled down from ebay within the hour once it was brought to my attention. This is clearly mentioned and evident in the thread. It even fooled a member on the forum by the name of Mansell92 who was making me offers to buy it. That is why he started the thread. He wanted to know if it was legit. I suspect "alwayshere" is a mate of the now banned "Mansell92" or perhaps him on another account.
This sounds complicated. Maybe your lack of knowledge should keep you away from the «incredible find business» OP?
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 06:48 PM   #10
Mr_A_Love_Rolex
"TRF" Member

Happy to concede that I was not born a genius like you DoDe. It was an incredible find and you know it. You're just jealous.
Old 5 December 2020, 07:04 PM   #11
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoDe View Post
This sounds complicated. Maybe your lack of knowledge should keep you away from the «incredible find business» OP?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 07:06 PM   #12
Mr_A_Love_Rolex
"TRF" Member

I'll give you something to laugh about, this 30K cost me $250 AUD. HAHAHA
Old 5 December 2020, 07:20 PM   #13
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
I'll give you something to laugh about, this 30K cost me $250 AUD. HAHAHA
You sound like the kind of desperado who would say anything to win an argument. I meet your type all the time, passing though town in the pub.

Deceased estate you say? uh huh, so let me guess, you paid in cash so there is no receipt? Riiiiightt....

I mean hey mate, if you have some proof lets see it. Otherwise, your claim is as genuine as the dial on your 'red sub'
narembeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 07:27 PM   #14
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Well this is going downhill quickly. I'm all for paying a fair price for something or getting a good deal, but at a certain point it's almost criminal to underpay by that much.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 07:40 PM   #15
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
Well this is going downhill quickly. I'm all for paying a fair price for something or getting a good deal, but at a certain point it's almost criminal to underpay by that much.
Yeah hes boasting about cheating some family our of their inheritance
Old 5 December 2020, 07:42 PM   #16
Mr_A_Love_Rolex
"TRF" Member

I'm still in disarray. Some people here are very mean and arrogant. Is nobody here happy for me? Have I really turned $250 into a house deposit? Are you guys pulling me leg?
Old 5 December 2020, 07:46 PM   #17
narembeen
Banned

Quote:
I'm still in disarray. Some people here are very mean and arrogant. Is nobody here happy for me? Have I really turned $250 into a house deposit? Are you guys pulling me leg?
We havent had a chance, you're too busy pulling ours.

Still waiting for some proof btw.
Old 5 December 2020, 08:38 PM   #18
DoDe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Happy to concede that I was not born a genius like you DoDe. It was an incredible find and you know it. You're just jealous.
That was not the point of my answer, but I can inform you that I am not born a genius, neither have I a lot of knowledge regarding vintage watches.
DoDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 08:56 PM   #19
Nickn
"TRF" Member

You cannot be the buyer and the seller if the owners wanted $250
And you gave it to them ,without haggling, you did nothing wrong
I have posted three flea market buys on this forum including a 5513 I paid £20 for
Does anyone honestly think I should have said no here is an extra £5000 ?
Now if a seller asks you what an item is worth and you lie that’s dishonest
Nickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 09:00 PM   #20
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickn View Post
You cannot be the buyer and the seller if the owners wanted $250
And you gave it to them ,without haggling, you did nothing wrong
I have posted three flea market buys on this forum including a 5513 I paid £20 for
Does anyone honestly think I should have said no here is an extra £5000 ?
Now if a seller asks you what an item is worth and you lie that’s dishonest
Honesty never pays in this situation from my experience. Generally they act like you’re trying to take advantage of them when you offer more. I’ve since learned to keep my mouth shut and realize that karma works in mysterious ways and if presented an item for a pittance, it’s the universe looking out for me.

I’ve also helped people liquidate estates and every time people end up getting greedy. Try screwing me out of my pre negotiated cut and after the last one they tried paying me in items I appraised, at full blown retail. At which point I just quit and refused all their calls.

Knowledge is very valuable. I’ve earned every deal I’ve gotten the way I see it. I studied things that make me money. Not my job to do it for others.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 09:57 PM   #21
Mr_A_Love_Rolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
Honesty never pays in this situation from my experience. Generally they act like you’re trying to take advantage of them when you offer more. I’ve since learned to keep my mouth shut and realize that karma works in mysterious ways and if presented an item for a pittance, it’s the universe looking out for me.

I’ve also helped people liquidate estates and every time people end up getting greedy. Try screwing me out of my pre negotiated cut and after the last one they tried paying me in items I appraised, at full blown retail. At which point I just quit and refused all their calls.

Knowledge is very valuable. I’ve earned every deal I’ve gotten the way I see it. I studied things that make me money. Not my job to do it for others.

Amazing how some buyers masquerade as scrupulous and honest when in reality they just want to score a bargain. People always underestimate their greed. Only the Bible can shed light on man's heart. "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?" Jeremiah 17:9-10

As 330ci said, you offer more and they think you’re pulling the wool over their eyes and you most definitely risk losing the deal. When I bought this, I paid asking price and not a cent less. Was I supposed to pay thousands of dollars? And then later I find out the dial is refinished and it has an aftermarket movement? Or the bezel insert is AM, like my previous deal that I got burnt on... and ppl are still attacking me for that as if I was some scammer? But I know it’s the same person that has multiple accounts & he’s banned on one of them.

I was nearly going to leave this forum until I found a couple of like-minded people form London and Michigan, thanks for your honesty guys! No shame in accepting what comes your way. Thank you God.
Old 5 December 2020, 10:03 PM   #22
stewester
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very nice watch, difficult to tell from the pics but looks potentially like one of the last pointed crown guard cases. Would say it's worth at least $20,000 dollars, possibly more depending on dial condition.

It's an impressive find indeed, but you've also turned someone else's house deposit into $250 dollars. If you're not going to pay the deceased's family a fair price I'd least have some humility.
stewester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 10:04 PM   #23
Nickn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post

I totally agree I once went on a house call where an elderly couple had three ww2 German daggers and a knights cross
I told them the retail on the daggers and what I would pay as a collector which they accepted
They couldn’t believe anyone would pay so much for an uncles war trophies
The I told them I didn’t know what the knights cross would retail for but I would give them £1000
I could see greed come over their faces and I could tell they thought I was ripping them off

I think we will keep it the women said
It ended up at I local auction where it sold for £1200
after fee I think they got £840
Now if I had offered £100 I would have got it
Old 5 December 2020, 10:07 PM   #24
Nickn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Amazing how some buyers masquerade as scrupulous and honest when in reality they just want to score a bargain. People always underestimate their greed. Only the Bible can shed light on man's heart. "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?" Jeremiah 17:9-10

As 330ci said, you offer more and they think you’re pulling the wool over their eyes and you most definitely risk losing the deal. When I bought this, I paid asking price and not a cent less. Was I supposed to pay thousands of dollars? And then later I find out the dial is refinished and it has an aftermarket movement? Or the bezel insert is AM, like my previous deal that I got burnt on... and ppl are still attacking me for that as if I was some scammer? But I know it’s the same person that has multiple accounts & he’s banned on one of them.

I was nearly going to leave this forum until I found a couple of like-minded people form London and Michigan, thanks for your honesty guys! No shame in accepting what comes your way. Thank you God.
So if you were offered this watch for $250 you would have said no I will give you 10 -20,000 dollars?
Old 5 December 2020, 10:16 PM   #25
Nickn
"TRF" Member

Sorry to go on but when I picked up the 5513 and the Kempton park antique fair and was to it was £20 as it was a fake should I have paid the money and skipped off happily or told him it was real and worth a lot more?
I bought a pre production seadweller again from Kempton for £1000
I took it to Rolex st James as the bezel was very sloppy where they told me they thought the watch was a parts piece
I put it on eBay and it sold to an Italian collector for just over £4000
I was happy and he obviously had the knowledge to know it was genuine
My mistake his massive gain as it was the watch sold last year for silly money
Old 5 December 2020, 10:22 PM   #26
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I totally agree I once went on a house call where an elderly couple had three ww2 German daggers and a knights cross
I told them the retail on the daggers and what I would pay as a collector which they accepted
They couldn’t believe anyone would pay so much for an uncles war trophies
The I told them I didn’t know what the knights cross would retail for but I would give them £1000
I could see greed come over their faces and I could tell they thought I was ripping them off

I think we will keep it the women said
It ended up at I local auction where it sold for £1200
after fee I think they got £840
Now if I had offered £100 I would have got it
I Had the complete opposite happen to me, some guy had 2 dr fritz todt medals and an SS long service award. He offered me them for $500, I told him I had no clue what they were worth. He said give me $400 I just want them gone, the SS medal is worth more than that. I had gotten some good scores from him prior so took his word and glad I did. Just looked them up again and it seems they’ve appreciated considerably.
Old 5 December 2020, 10:24 PM   #27
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry to go on but when I picked up the 5513 and the Kempton park antique fair and was to it was £20 as it was a fake should I have paid the money and skipped off happily or told him it was real and worth a lot more?
I bought a pre production seadweller again from Kempton for £1000
I took it to Rolex st James as the bezel was very sloppy where they told me they thought the watch was a parts piece
I put it on eBay and it sold to an Italian collector for just over £4000
I was happy and he obviously had the knowledge to know it was genuine
My mistake his massive gain as it was the watch sold last year for silly money
... that pat pend SD was yours? Ouch

Just goes to show though, knowledge is very valuable lol
Old 5 December 2020, 10:44 PM   #28
Nickn
"TRF" Member

Yes £1000 from the Kempton part antique fair!
I watched someone else take the back offer ask the best price then put it down

Rolex st James said the date on the case / serial number was wrong and they did didn’t like the pink writing!!!
They did offer to send it to Switzerland but I was worried if it was wrong I wouldn’t get it back
If only
Old 5 December 2020, 10:45 PM   #29
Nickn
"TRF" Member

I could ask the Italian seller for more money
Old 5 December 2020, 10:50 PM   #30
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote: