The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 November 2021, 04:21 PM   #1
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Fountain pen filling + ink question

I was wondering if it’s me or the pen, but I’ve never been able to draw up ink through the nib with my platinum Izumo

Instead I need to dismantle and place the end of the converter cartridge in the ink and draw it up directly into the tube.

I figure it could be two things if it’s down to user error - either the nib isn’t submerged enough so have tested it all the way in or there isn’t a strong enough vacuum from the piston converter to draw the ink upwards against gravity.

Should all FPs fill via the nib or do some just not work that way ?

The other thing I’ve noticed is how much better (smoother and wetter) the platinum writes with black waterman ink I tried.

With diamine inks before it had a tendency to be a bit scratchy and dry if I wrote too fast.

After not using it so much during the last 2 years due to various reasons, the platinum with the waterman ink is now my go to favourite each day.

Are there any recommendations please for ‘wet’ fast flowing inks to try with the platinum pen/nib ?

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2021, 10:57 PM   #2
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
I have pens that fill better through the nib fill mechanism than others, and some I just go the route of filling directly into the converter (Waterman Carène) because going by dipping the pen in the ink just doesn’t function well at all. In fact, with my Carène, I now just use cartridges. I’ve recently become a convert to the Pineider pen filler, you might give it a shot - it should work for most pens and brands.

When I need wet flowing inks, I go Pilot Iroshizuku.

Good luck!
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2021, 11:07 PM   #3
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
You need to make sure that all of the nib and part of the section get inserted into the inkwell.

Afterwards, immediately swish nib and section under running water and wipe down.

But I'll admit, I most often use cartridges rather than one of the converters.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2021, 08:37 AM   #4
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
I have pens that fill better through the nib fill mechanism than others, and some I just go the route of filling directly into the converter (Waterman Carène) because going by dipping the pen in the ink just doesn’t function well at all. In fact, with my Carène, I now just use cartridges. I’ve recently become a convert to the Pineider pen filler, you might give it a shot - it should work for most pens and brands.

Good luck!

Thank you for the reply - the pen filler looks very interesting and I’m going to read more about the pilot iroshizuku inks and order a bottle to try out

I didn’t realise how much difference the ink would make to the overall writing experience.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 14 November 2021, 08:39 AM   #5
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
You need to make sure that all of the nib and part of the section get inserted into the inkwell.

Afterwards, immediately swish nib and section under running water and wipe down.

But I'll admit, I most often use cartridges rather than one of the converters.

Thank you for sharing the information, I will try submerging deeper next time I need to refill and see if I can get it to work as you describe !

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 14 November 2021, 05:16 PM   #6
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
It should work fine if you submerge it enough. I usually do this by my sink and rinse the section and nib under running water afterwards and just wipe it.

Oh, if you want to try some wetter inks, I use Pilot Iroshizuku inks, they come in a nice glass bottle and a large range of colors.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2021, 10:26 AM   #7
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Can’t add anything to the advice already given, but I’ll reinforce the love for the Pilot inks. Readily available on Amazon and wonderful colors/writing experience!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 08:48 AM   #8
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBM View Post
Can’t add anything to the advice already given, but I’ll reinforce the love for the Pilot inks. Readily available on Amazon and wonderful colors/writing experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
It should work fine if you submerge it enough. I usually do this by my sink and rinse the section and nib under running water afterwards and just wipe it.

Oh, if you want to try some wetter inks, I use Pilot Iroshizuku inks, they come in a nice glass bottle and a large range of colors.

My iroshizuku ink arrived - wow what a difference it made to the overall smoothness of the nib on the page, thickness and intensity of the lines too.

Totally different writing experience all together - much appreciated recommendation !

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 3 December 2021, 08:59 AM   #9
GreatHarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
My iroshizuku ink arrived - wow what a difference it made to the overall smoothness of the nib on the page, thickness and intensity of the lines too.

Totally different writing experience all together - much appreciated recommendation !
I can only reiterate what a few of the other guys have said about the Pilot Iroshizuki inks.

They're fantastic, even in my 35 dollar TWSBI pen!
GreatHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2021, 11:17 AM   #10
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post

Yay! This makes me very happy to hear, thanks for following up and sharing. Iroshizuku is terrific ink. Lately, I’ve been experimenting with Ferris Wheel Press ink (jelly bean blue color) and it’s also great, add it to your list.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote