The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 April 2022, 11:29 PM   #1
DocChand
"TRF" Member

What to ask when buying pre-owned?

Hi all!

I’m looking at a pre-owned watch that’s available with a couple of TRF Trusted Sellers. Since this will be my first pre-owned watch, what are some questions I should be asking? Below are some I’ve thought of:

1. Is the watch worn or unworn?
2. If worn, what’s the condition - scratches, dings, etc.

I just want to avoid any surprises because I live in Asia and any returns will be a pain.

Really appreciate everyone’s input.
DocChand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 01:21 AM   #2
SwissmadeTexan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SUB LV-C/Pepsi C
What to ask when buying pre-owned?

Year produced, condition, polished or unpolished, if there are any marks ask for close ups, any specific details about the particular model you’re wondering about, what it comes with, has it been pressure tested, any warranty, what happens in the event of a lost/stolen package since you’re in Asia, also find out about import fees and such, check references on seller if not a huge dealer like David Sw or similar.
Old 10 April 2022, 01:24 AM   #3
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

“Is it real?”

“Box and papers?”
Old 10 April 2022, 02:18 AM   #4
DocChand
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissmadeTexan View Post
Year produced, condition, polished or unpolished, if there are any marks ask for close ups, any specific details about the particular model you’re wondering about, what it comes with, has it been pressure tested, any warranty, what happens in the event of a lost/stolen package since you’re in Asia, also find out about import fees and such, check references on seller if not a huge dealer like David Sw or similar.
Thanks! One of the dealers is David SW; the other is Takuya.
Old 10 April 2022, 02:30 AM   #5
Vesper Lynd
Banned

Can you give me a discount on the inflated price?
Vesper Lynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 02:32 AM   #6
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Why is it more than it was new?

and don't forget "Box and Papers Bro!"

Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 02:35 AM   #7
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocChand View Post

Highly legit sellers I’ve bought from both. Questions:

1. Replacement parts? Come with all parts it was born with?

2. Amplitude?

3. COSC specs?

4. Service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 03:10 AM   #8
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
specifically which model you are looking for?
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 03:11 AM   #9
edisonstar23
"TRF" Member

Box and Papers and polished?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edisonstar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 03:21 AM   #10
Passinthru
2024 Pledge Member

Sales tax?
Discount if paying by wire transfer?
Passinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 03:38 AM   #11
Hemdog
"TRF" Member

Is this a good investment mate?
Hemdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 03:40 AM   #12
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
I have only bought one “used” watch - but my question (in addition to the other ‘serious’ replies you got) is whether they reseller has the original sales receipt on the name of the original owner. That, for me, shows provenance.
alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 11:45 AM   #13
SwissmadeTexan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SUB LV-C/Pepsi C
Quote:

Those 2 are some of the best. You’re in good hands with those 2.
Old 10 April 2022, 12:09 PM   #14
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Why can’t I wait for a watch for thousands less at my ad, and know it is real?
Old 10 April 2022, 12:28 PM   #15
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Most ADs in Asia, if not all, do not entertain waiting lists. Basically you have to spend a certain amount on “Junks” before getting the watch you want. And the required spending don’t quite make sense, hence buying from grey is the better option as the capital outlay required is much lesser.

The situation is so bad that it’s impossible to queue for any sports models(including explorer 1) in my country. Not even if you are willing to wait 1 year or more. The sales guy will never call you. Spending history is COMPULSORY.
😂
Mathematoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 12:33 PM   #16
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematoxic View Post
Most ADs in Asia, if not all, do not entertain waiting lists. Basically you have to spend a certain amount on “Junks” before getting the watch you want. And the required spending don’t quite make sense, hence buying from grey is the better option as the capital outlay required is much lesser.

The situation is so bad that it’s impossible to queue for any sports models(including explorer 1) in my country. Not even if you are willing to wait 1 year or more. The sales guy will never call you. Spending history is COMPULSORY.
😂
Stinks - I would honestly not buy Rolex then or pick a new hobby, not worth that.
Old 10 April 2022, 01:27 PM   #17
Mathematoxic
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Stinks - I would honestly not buy Rolex then or pick a new hobby, not worth that.
Yeah I believe many people are turned off by this situation. Yet the grey market is flooded with very hot models haha 😆
Mathematoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2022, 07:44 PM   #18
DocChand
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looking for a 214270 Mk2…since it’s discontinued, going pre-owned is my recourse. The interesting thing is that for significantly lesser than the outlay on a pre-owned 214270, I could get an unworn OP41 from a grey dealer. Weird world we live in!

But I do take your point…seriously considering just getting an Aqua Terra for pretty much 40% of the price.
Old 10 April 2022, 07:45 PM   #19
DocChand
"TRF" Member

Quote:

😂
Yup! I live in SG and the situation sucks!
Old 10 April 2022, 10:33 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
You’re in very good hands
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 02:47 PM   #21
DocChand
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the responses! These are all very helpful!

Now for another naive question:

For a 2019 watch, should I be only interested in unpolished examples? I'm looking at a 214270 on WatchBox. Pricing is fair for a 2019 but the watch has a lot of scuffs and will be buffed before shipping. Is "buffing" something I should be staying away from?

I asked WatchBox about buffed vs. unpolished and they maintain that being unpolished is more a recommended practice when buying vintage pieces; for newer pieces, it's not that critical. I'm guessing they mean that a vintage unpolished piece will be more valuable than a vintage polished example?

Sorry for the ramble but this is the first time I'm buying pre-owned. Buying from WatchBox means I don't have to worry about any customs duties or authentication since they have an established presence in Singapore, where I'm based.
Old 25 April 2022, 03:14 PM   #22
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:

For a 2019 watch, should I be only interested in unpolished examples? I'm looking at a 214270 on WatchBox. Pricing is fair for a 2019 but the watch has a lot of scuffs and will be buffed before shipping. Is "buffing" something I should be staying away from?

I asked WatchBox about buffed vs. unpolished and they maintain that being unpolished is more a recommended practice when buying vintage pieces; for newer pieces, it's not that critical. I'm guessing they mean that a vintage unpolished piece will be more valuable than a vintage polished example?

Sorry for the ramble but this is the first time I'm buying pre-owned. Buying from WatchBox means I don't have to worry about any customs duties or authentication since they have an established presence in Singapore, where I'm based.
Personally speaking, if I was going to buy something polished I would want guarantees that it had been polished by Rolex, and not some grey dealer looking to bump up his prices.

So that said, I would buy based on used condition. If the model you're looking at with Watchbox has too many scratches for your liking I'd skip and wait for them to get something more suitable.

The best piece of advice I can give is DO NOT RUSH. Take your time and wait for the right example. Work with Watchbox and tell them what you're looking for - they will get something for you.

If you just snap up the first thing you see you never know if there's something else right around the corner.

Just remember there's likely thousands of these watches available globally. They're not rare or hard to find so wait for a nice unpolished example with a full set of paperwork and box (is what I would do).
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 03:54 PM   #23
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:

Polishing is an art, easy to mess up. I trust only the RSC and not anyone from WatchBox.
Pay more and buy one which doesn’t need this.
Old 25 April 2022, 03:59 PM   #24
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hi all!

I’m looking at a pre-owned watch that’s available with a couple of TRF Trusted Sellers. Since this will be my first pre-owned watch, what are some questions I should be asking? Below are some I’ve thought of:

1. Is the watch worn or unworn?
2. If worn, what’s the condition - scratches, dings, etc.

I just want to avoid any surprises because I live in Asia and any returns will be a pain.

Really appreciate everyone’s input.
Buy the seller first - i.e., make sure they’re established and have a positive reputation. Ask for several high resolution photos, and do your or homework, or lean on someone with knowledge to help.

If returns were easier (but know they’re not), would leverage an established watchmaker to help perform a sanity check during a 72 hour window offered by seller. Good luck and be careful.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 04:02 PM   #25
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
That's

Quote:

😂
just embarrassing, seriously why people play these games.

Talk about selling your soul.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 04:19 PM   #26
Firex
"TRF" Member

Agree with what’s been said. I only want to buy a wat h that has been polished by Rolex Service Centre. If the watch has been serviced, ask for a pic of the service invoice. Then call the RSC to verify that the invoice is legit and matches the serial and reference number for your watch. Many resellers will do an in-house polish job so the watch looks nicer. Polishing is an art and can mess up the fine grain finish if not done properly. Also I ask if the watch is fully linked. Check how many links that model is supposed to come with. Check the pics of the complete papers - sometimes the ad will say box and papers but it’s missing the manual or warranty booklet or hang tag.
Firex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 07:04 PM   #27
tudk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various Rolex
Match the serial number on the watch to the warranty card
or ask for photos of both .
tudk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 07:11 PM   #28
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Just ask what is different from this watch now compared to the point of sale, other then time.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2022, 11:50 PM   #29
bullies
"TRF" Member

Those two are legends on the grey market -I've bought a lot from DSW (and have had to send a few in for servicing etc AP/Rolex- Never a problem, never anything other than OEM parts). You're in good hands
AP 15400
bullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2022, 12:22 AM   #30
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
As everyone said, DavidSW and Takuya are _more_ trustworthy than even the AD themselves. You'll pay the markup yes, but just think of the all the worthless diamond rings/bracelets you'll avoid!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote