The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 September 2022, 08:59 AM   #1
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
SS aint so bad after all

As I’ve been on a SS kick these past few days it got me to thinking with just these 2 what else could one want. Sub is an icon and probably one of the most recognizable and copied watches in the world.

Basically birthed every dive watch ever made

Then the EXP II with all its rugged good looks (thank you Rolex for not slapping a slither of ceramic on it) and GMT function what else could you need?

I know the word need is all relative but you could have all bases covered with just 2 references. Either can be dressed up or down. Either can handle anything you throw at it. Either can be a daily and if you’re traveling abroad slap on the EXP II. Which is what I wear every single time. 715 and 935 stay at home.

Yes there’s some other beauties lurking in this box including a Daytona and a couple PM pieces but sometimes keeping it simple is a good thing. Am I still chasing “maybe” 1-2 more? Sure but if the call never comes I’ll be just fine. And that’s the point of this thread. Be happy with what you have and be thankful as there are many people who are still searching for there first.

How long before I switch back over to one of my PM references/what I usually wear? Don’t know. In the meantime I’m taking a moment to enjoy these 2 beauties

Oh btw look at how they’re almost in sync. No I didn’t fix it that way
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8B4574C0-DA78-48D4-A044-BF6BE6823F8A.jpeg (85.1 KB, 1355 views)
Old 14 September 2022, 09:18 AM   #2
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Color for me… but two very nice iconic pieces for sure
Old 14 September 2022, 09:39 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
You definitely would have everything you’d ever need right there and that’s saying something with your collection
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 09:58 AM   #4
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
As I’ve been on a SS kick these past few days it got me to thinking with just these 2 what else could one want. Sub is an icon and probably one of the most recognizable and copied watches in the world.

Then the EXP II with all its rugged good looks (thank you Rolex for not slapping a slither of ceramic on it) and GMT function what else could you need?

I know the word need is all relative but you could have all bases covered with just 2 references. Either can be dressed up or down. Either can handle anything you throw at it. Either can be a daily and if you’re traveling abroad slap on the EXP II. Which is what I wear every single time. 715 and 935 stay at home.

Yes there’s some other beauties lurking in this box including a Daytona and a couple PM pieces but sometimes keeping it simple is a good thing. Am I still chasing “maybe” 1-2 more? Sure but if the call never comes I’ll be just fine. And that’s the point of this thread. Be happy with what you have and be thankful as there are many people who are still searching for there first.

How long before I switch back over to one of my PM references/what I usually wear? Don’t know. In the meantime I’m taking a moment to enjoy these 2 beauties

Sub date is the ultimate.
OYptL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 10:40 AM   #5
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Two great watches Anthony. Congratulations on your new arrival
Old 14 September 2022, 11:19 AM   #6
j10s
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
Color for me… but two very nice iconic pieces for sure
I agree- those are great pieces, but I’d like some color too.
j10s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 11:38 AM   #7
Tommyr13
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I agree… I have these same two watches and swap both most days. Sometimes I wish for a little color, but these two are just solid watches for almost every situation for me.
Tommyr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 11:56 AM   #8
samuel019

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You definitely would have everything you’d ever need right there and that’s saying something with your collection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Two great watches Anthony. Congratulations on your new arrival
Thanks guys. Appreciate it.
Old 14 September 2022, 12:08 PM   #9
samuel019

Appreciate all the comments guys and as to the color comments it’s just something I’ve never really been in to.

I have alot of blacks, couple chocolates, one white, and the original flat blue/Smurf 116613. Did have a rhodium 114300 in the past. Lasted about 2 weeks. Guess I’m just boring

Can’t do greens, reds, yellows etc. Just not my cup of tea but more power to all those who do. Guess I could see myself doing some color but only in a DD or Daytona configuration.

But mainly this little post was just to point out that these 2 are quite versatile IMO. Never use the chrono on my Daytona for example. I mean who doesn’t use the bezel on the Sub for random uses or the GMT function on the EXP II when traveling.

However there are many other references that some may find better. And I respect that
Old 14 September 2022, 12:08 PM   #10
Baiv
Banned

Watch: SubLV
Love your collection
Baiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 12:10 PM   #11
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Outstanding. Will outlast many lifetimes.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 12:22 PM   #12
Kenny G
"TRF" Member

Great pieces. I particularly love the floating hands of this reference of the Ex2.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 09:00 AM   #13
Filipão
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Outstanding, now I understand your moto and hope you're wrong "Watch me go broke"
Filipão is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 11:36 AM   #14
samuel019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipão View Post
Outstanding, now I understand your moto and hope you're wrong "Watch me go broke"

Thank you Filipe. Forgot that was even there. Yeah thank goodness I haven’t done that. I do have “some” financial restraint. However if I were rich and didn’t I’d give it a good try in watches. Alas there are far more important things in life.

As an update still wearing SS. Been about 10 days straight. Definitely a record for me these past 2 years
Old 16 September 2022, 05:15 PM   #15
Ollie1982
Banned

Watch: Sub, Exp, DJ & Pam
SS aint so bad?

Well done for roughing it for 10 days wearing just a combination of 2 SS Rolex sports watches! Must've been a tough time for you...
Ollie1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 05:34 PM   #16
WILLIWALKER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post

Superb subject.

I was discussing this at the banker's meeting in Neuchatel, Switzerland yesterday with a person who was very well off financially.

And the result is a sentence, do it as simple as possible and stop chasing chimeras.
For the most part, we will all be chasing chimeras, people who earn the average salary like people who are in the top 1% or 0.5%. Each in his field in connection with his finances...

We are all the same and we must open our eyes and return to simplicity, we will only feel liberated

My plan is to own only 2 or 3 watches maximum! And I have to take advantage of the momentum to sell, the window is closing I fear.

I often think of several Jewish communities in North Africa who isolate themselves precisely to avoid falling into the trap of accumulation. The husband was going to work in town to bring food to his family and no question of 2 or 3 cars, luxury ect. Life was elsewhere.

This is the 2nd subject of nature that I read in recent days and it feels good!
Old 16 September 2022, 07:54 PM   #17
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Those two would definitely have you covered.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 10:28 PM   #18
KeithP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK 126900/SM 300M
Perfect pair
KeithP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 04:48 AM   #19
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

For a bit of color, you could have subLV and polar expII
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote