The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 December 2021, 02:28 PM   #31
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
You are tired of seeing GS LE’s but still hope the next one will be better?

Last week I saw a window tray full of discounted GS models?

I think this is a more serious issue for Seiko.
Haha yea I’m still holding out hope.

I was very excited about the SBGY007 when it was released, and I had it on my list for a bit. I’m still pretty excited about it, but not sure it fits well with the rest of my collection. I have the Patek 6119R, and think every opportunity I have to wear the SBGY007 I would just grab the 6119R instead.

But it’s still a really beautiful piece. This one actually ticks a lot of boxes for me. I guess part of the reason the clasp/bracelet isn’t an issue is because it’s a dress watch that comes on strap… with that said it’s nice a thin at 10mm.

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/sbgy007g
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 02:39 PM   #32
ndrs63
"TRF" Member

Agreed. Not as many LEs as Panerai, but still too many. Looks like the dial magic is their strength and a major differentiator so would keep it going. The story behind each dial it is repeating and naive. But I strongly agree with you on what I consider the single greatest weakness of the brand: the bracelet/clasp. Why can’t they spend energy on fixing that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ndrs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 03:49 PM   #33
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I have been wearing Seiko/Grand Seiko in bracelets for more than 40 years and none has ever caused me any issues. Upfront disclosure - I own both GS and Rolex sports watches. I like the bracelet on the GS because the deployant clasp has a very slim profile and it is easy to operate. The one on Rolex is quite chunky as it has to fit the glidelock system within (I have never adjusted the bracelet on the fly though). I don't see one as being inferior to the other and the bracelet/deployant clasp is just a minor component of a wrist watch to me. I value overall aesthetics, dial, colour, case design, thickness, lug design, movements, finishing above the bracelet, although there could be overlaps where finishing is concerned.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 08:34 PM   #34
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I have been wearing Seiko/Grand Seiko in bracelets for more than 40 years and none has ever caused me any issues. Upfront disclosure - I own both GS and Rolex sports watches. I like the bracelet on the GS because the deployant clasp has a very slim profile and it is easy to operate. The one on Rolex is quite chunky as it has to fit the glidelock system within (I have never adjusted the bracelet on the fly though). I don't see one as being inferior to the other and the bracelet/deployant clasp is just a minor component of a wrist watch to me. I value overall aesthetics, dial, colour, case design, thickness, lug design, movements, finishing above the bracelet, although there could be overlaps where finishing is concerned.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 09:53 AM   #35
ryeutil
"TRF" Member

I completely agree about the thickness of GS sport watches (and even the dressier watches) and would love for them to start slimming them down. I have a pretty small wrist... and for years, I discounted GS because of the documented specifications of their watches. However, when I finally bit the bullet and stopped in at my local AD... I was pleasantly surprised on how they look/feel on the wrist.

As for the countless LE releases... I agree. It waters down the brand if you ask me.
ryeutil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2021, 02:06 PM   #36
Stranger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Moser Streamliner
I'm only bothered on the GS thickness by the GMT and the divers. The diver I have (SBGH255) is quite big, but it's titanium, so light, and it actually glides very well under a shirt (much better than a Damasko for example). I have returned a GMT hi-beat, because the case height is just way too much, especially given the fairly small case width.

On my dressier GS (SBGH037), the height (12.9mm) doesn't believe me one bit. It's one of my most pleasurable watch, and the bracelet is the most comfortable I own, along with that of my Seamaster 300m.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 08:21 AM   #37
Gerry.GEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp1 Mk2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2517 View Post
I don’t see anyone complain Patek and AP doesn’t have micro adjustments, neither does Rolex day date.

So is micro adjustment really that necessary or people just want to pick on GS
Yes, it is totally necessary. I've owned 4 GS' and all but one had issue with fit, too loose, too tight, etc.

The 9F diver had adjustments but damn, the clasp was laughingly thick. So, yes they need to do something so I can wear my GS bracelet and not resort to putting it on a strap every time I buy one. Many times this has been one of the big reasons I get rid of them.
Gerry.GEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 09:23 AM   #38
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Was seeing the new releases, and thought about what it’ll take for me to buy another GS. I came back to these two points, and see them slowly getting better.

Clasps still don’t have micro adjustment, but it’s definitely getting more refined. (Ie SLGA013). Thickness on the date/time only pieces are great, and GMT is getting slightly better (SBGE285 gmt is now at 13.9mm vs 14.7mm for my SBGE257).

Still too thick though, and bracelet needs more taper than 2mm (get it to 4mm!).

They’re almost there. Maybe another year or two.
Old 13 September 2022, 04:25 PM   #39
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
I can't think of any brand that makes more than a few watches I'd buy.
There's always some element that I don't like. Grand Seiko too.

Seems the watch makers got together and all decided that my personal opinion isn't the definitive one !

The bastards.

I don't like a single thing about OPs, Datejusts or Submariners, I find them to be the dullest, lowest value offering watches imaginable.
But Rolex think they know better than me and keep churning them out, some of them even with different colored dials....
Old 25 September 2022, 08:36 AM   #40
CarlOver
"TRF" Member

All good points. I would recommend make the case a bit more organic and slender.
CarlOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2022, 11:29 PM   #41
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting older thread that has aged well in opinions and thoughts.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2022, 02:17 PM   #42
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Interesting older thread that has aged well in opinions and thoughts.
Thanks. I’ll be back with this thread in another year and hopefully will have picked up another GS.
Old 12 October 2022, 03:38 AM   #43
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

A bad bracelet or clasp is the difference between a good watch and a great one. It truly is as it shows a level and attention to detail that sometimes goes beyond case and dial.

If the Seiko GMT can have a quick adjustment feature, I'm puzzled why GS doesn't uniformly have one either.

As for the LEs.....I thought I had read an interview with the GS CEO saying that "A watch for every occasion" may mean a watch that satisfies no one.

Well, that rubber has to hit the road one day, and I have yet to see it. If GS thinks it can charge $5000 for a quartz watch and $11k for a 200M diver, then exclusivity or rarity can help.

Otherwise, people are going to wait for the price to drop when the next 10 LEs come to market in the next 6 months.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2022, 09:17 PM   #44
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
A bad bracelet or clasp is the difference between a good watch and a great one. It truly is as it shows a level and attention to detail that sometimes goes beyond case and dial.

If the Seiko GMT can have a quick adjustment feature, I'm puzzled why GS doesn't uniformly have one either.

As for the LEs.....I thought I had read an interview with the GS CEO saying that "A watch for every occasion" may mean a watch that satisfies no one.

Well, that rubber has to hit the road one day, and I have yet to see it. If GS thinks it can charge $5000 for a quartz watch and $11k for a 200M diver, then exclusivity or rarity can help.

Otherwise, people are going to wait for the price to drop when the next 10 LEs come to market in the next 6 months.
Fair points.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 12:28 AM   #45
kwingy
"TRF" Member

I only have 1 GS and I agree I wish the bracelet would taper just to make it a little more elegant. That's really my only complaint.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 12:25 PM   #46
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
In addition to changing their focus, they should change their name.....but that's an entirely separate thread.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 01:30 PM   #47
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwingy View Post
I only have 1 GS and I agree I wish the bracelet would taper just to make it a little more elegant. That's really my only complaint.
I see lots of comments about the taper specifically, but it seems like the bracelet is just oddly wide, period. Take something like the SLGA007. A 40mm case with a 22mm lug width has the proportions of a much smaller watch. I.e. looks like a traditonal 36mm on a 20mm bracelet if you dont have any clues to the overall scale.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote