The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 September 2022, 01:17 AM   #1
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Advice Sought: Patek 5127G or VC 87172G

Seeking the wisdom and experience of the forum, as I’m genuinely torn on a decision.

Context is that I am looking for a white dial dress watch to fill a gap in my collection. It needs to have a date complication, as I cannot do a time only piece (I’ve tried). Also, I have a black dial 5227G, and this white dial watch will complement it. I have three Pateks in my collection, a Royal Oak, and a Rolex. I do not have a Vacheron in the collection.

Options: I have always been drawn to the PP 5127G, the quirkiness of the screw down cap, the off-white dial. But I can only get preowned models and finding ones in terrific shape is a bit of a challenge. On the other hand, I can find many options for a VC 87172, like new condition, box/papers. And I have always loved the VC Traditionnelle line. A used PP 5127G is going to cost about $5K USD more than a like new VC 87172.

Advice: Does anyone have experience or advice with a similar decision point and add words of wisdom? My heart says get the 5127G, but my head says that it makes sense to 1) get a newer quality watch 2) save money and 3) get a VC into my collection rather than yet another PP (maybe wrong forum to ask!)

Thoughts?

Be well, all!
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 01:25 AM   #2
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
You should know the 5127G is 37mm but wears small for its size. May not have the wrist presence you want if you like 40mm type watches.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 02:00 AM   #3
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Go with Patek. Won't let you down :)
5127G
Old 19 September 2022, 02:09 AM   #4
namelesswatchguy
"TRF" Member

Very similar to the 5227 but much smaller. I might branch out a little! How about Lange 1815 white dial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
namelesswatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 02:16 AM   #5
jsobral
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5164R-5167R-5107R
Patek
jsobral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 02:27 AM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

Not a fan of that particular VC as I find small seconds (= traditional / old style) and date window (= a more modern feature, especially for a dress watch) don't go well together here.

Some of VC's no date dress watches are very pretty but with date I'd go Patek. That said, I slightly prefer 5107G with its wider bezel over 5127G. Personally I got a 3998P instead years ago as I like platinum over white gold (and wouldn't want any plated white gold). With 6.6 inch wrists I don't mind a small dress watch.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 04:34 AM   #7
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

All these thoughts align with my own, such that I’ve decided and just purchased the 5127G. Try as I might to diversify, I just need to face the fact that I’m most comfortable with Patek (design language, brand, etc).

Thanks, all!
Old 19 September 2022, 05:17 AM   #8
jsobral
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5164R-5167R-5107R
Congratz, good call!
jsobral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 07:28 AM   #9
Vasco
"TRF" Member

That's an interesting project but which I don't know that much about.

I noticed your heart goes towards the 5127 instead of the VC: that's a very important point. I think I can say that every time I made a decision with the heart it was something I enjoyed a lot. Every time I went with my head because I thought it was logically the right decision, without enough heart side, I ended being wrong.

Diversifying is nice as it helps refueling pleasure from a watch to the other but if you feel the 5127 is really for you, maybe going for a VC instead isn't the right move?

What I usually do is imagining during the day if I had the watch on my wrist (e.g. the VC): if you feel you'll enjoy it very much then maybe it is worth a try?

I know you don't want a watch without date but that VC 1955 ultra-thin Historiques is so beautiful...

Edit: I've seen you got the 5127, huge congratz!
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2022, 12:05 AM   #10
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Good choice. The 5127 is the very best of the modern Calatravas. A nice blend of classic and modern styling and its rounded surfaces make it a beautiful and sensual watch.

It can be dressed up or down (somewhat) with a different strap, and it doesn't scream "look-at-me" so it retains Patek's historic subtlety.

Unlike another poster above, given the crown guards, I think it wears a bit larger than its 37mm would indicate....more like 38mm.

Its successor, the 5227, is arguably a bit large for what it is, but others would disagree.

While I like the Vacheron Traditionnelles, especially the date-free versions, the 87172 doesn't appeal; and the date function seems like an after-thought and not well integrated into the full design.

Enjoy your 5127! I've had mine for 15 years and it still draws my affection.

John
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2022, 03:46 AM   #11
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the advice, everyone. Posting two photos to close the loop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 26 September 2022, 04:05 AM   #12
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Great watch and congratulations!
I was going to suggest a 5296g as a nice compliment to the 5227g you already have but your choice best me to it
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote