The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 October 2022, 04:35 AM   #61
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
Because it doesn’t actually give any real information or advice. The fact that someone plops down their hard earned cash on a particular watch and not on any of the infinite number of items they could purchased means they “like” it. They might “like” it, among other things, expressly because they think it holds value, or because it will impress other people or any other myriad reasons that I can’t think of. It’s their money, I don’t particularly care.

Spending the money means they have shown a preference.

What people are really saying is “buy what you like, as long as your reasons for liking it are acceptable to me/the forum”

So like I said, useless for an individual that doesn’t have your sensibilities.
You’re missing the point.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 04:52 AM   #62
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Value is a bonus but can't be the reason for wearing a nice piece. Never.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 04:54 AM   #63
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S’portEye View Post
You’re missing the point.

I’m not. People have a narrow vision on why they think someone should like a watch. I’m saying that people know their preferences and while they may offend your or others sensibilities, people can have their own reasons for spending their own money.

Like I said, this guy might might like the fact that a Rolex holds its value more than any watch. It might be the number one factor in his watch search.

If he buys a Sub, is he not “buying what he likes?”
bluestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 04:54 AM   #64
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Rolex that keeps value

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Value is a bonus but can't be the reason for wearing a nice piece. Never.

Says you.

And I’m not even making the argument that it should be. I’ve got 3 JLCs for crying out loud.

Just saying we are sometimes too narrow and judgemental.
Old 1 October 2022, 05:08 AM   #65
S’portEye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m not. People have a narrow vision on why they think someone should like a watch. I’m saying that people know their preferences and while they may offend your or others sensibilities, people can have their own reasons for spending their own money.

Like I said, this guy might might like the fact that a Rolex holds its value more than any watch. It might be the number one factor in his watch search.

If he buys a Sub, is he not “buying what he likes?”

You are missing it. The point is that buying for “value” is not a best practice in the long run. Things change and nobody knows the future. Find a watch that you like and can see yourself wearing for a long time. Don’t think of a timepiece as an investment and you will be happier.
S’portEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 05:15 AM   #66
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
This. People here make it seem like it’s sacrilege to ever change their mind about a watch purchase. If only folks were this attached to their spouses, the divorce rate would be much lower.

Hell, one could make the argument that paying attention to the actual value of the stuff you buy is the more financially responsible move.
Changing your mind is one thing. Op has made it pretty clear he is buying to hold for 5-10 years and then try to get some value out of it. Way different then, say, buying a Sub because you like it at the time and getting bored of it after a few years and trading it in. If Op’s intention from the outset is to purchase a watch to sit on for a while and sell, he shouldn’t be buying. Doubt he would even wear the piece, just make it a Safe Queen. That’s taking a watch away from someone who, you know, actually wants it.
Old 1 October 2022, 05:32 AM   #67
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S’portEye View Post
You are missing it. The point is that buying for “value” is not a best practice in the long run. Things change and nobody knows the future. Find a watch that you like and can see yourself wearing for a long time. Don’t think of a timepiece as an investment and you will be happier.

You are giving some useful advice. “Buy a watch you can see yourself wearing in the long term.” “Buy a watch that fits your lifestyle and dress.” “People preference and thus value change over time” Etc.

“Buy what you like” is dismissive of people’s preferences.

Sort of like “watches are not investments”
They clearly are. Maybe not sound investments, but lots of people have made money using watches as financial instruments. So saying this is not useful and dismissive. Useful advice would be “if you don’t have a lot of up front capital and knowledge, watches are likely a loser and even with those things you’re probably late to the game.”
Much better than “watches are not investments.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 October 2022, 05:42 AM   #68
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Get what you like. Any Rolex is great value. They will all outlast you and then some.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 05:45 AM   #69
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveofedm View Post
Hello All, Am looking at buying my first Rolex. My budget is between $13,000 - 17,000. What Rolex watch would you recommend that will keep value. Am a long term holder. One of my favourite watches is 2022 Rolex Milgauss Z-Blue dial.

Thank All
I hear bonds are getting attractive. Watches, not a good investment strategy...
Old 1 October 2022, 07:20 AM   #70
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Buy only the one you love to wear everyday at MSRP.

If you keep it long enough (say 10 years), I am sure you can get your money back if you sell it at that time as long as your watch is still in a reasonable good condition.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 09:17 AM   #71
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:

lots of people have made money using watches as financial instruments.

Financial instruments? Lots of people?
Old 1 October 2022, 09:18 AM   #72
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Financial instruments? Lots of people?

If you don’t think a lot of people made money speculating on watches over the past 2-3 years, you’re deluding yourself.

Old 1 October 2022, 09:54 AM   #73
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If you don’t think a lot of people made money speculating on watches over the past 2-3 years, you’re deluding yourself.

"Deluding." Nice manners Blue.

Historically, some people have made money on baseball cards and Avon collectables. And a lot of people lost their shirt. Does not make them "financial instruments."

Used cars have shot up a lot too. Does not make them "financial instruments."

In the last 2-3 years, surgical gloves and facemarks also went for high amounts. And more recently, baby formula. Does not make them financial instruments.

3 years does of high demand does not a sound future "investment" make. And there are many who got a rude awakening to this fact when they bought high and missed the wave.

But back to OP. He is not looking to flip from an AD to make quick money. He wants to buy a watch and wear it but also have it hold its value 5-10 years from now.

Many posters say, any rolex should be safe. I say maybe, maybe not. Who knows what people will care about 5-10 years from now. We may be living in an entirely different world. If we revert to where we were before all this silliness started, it entirely possible that even at MSRP, OP will not get his money back. But maybe he will. No one really knows.

I agree with those who say forget the investment issue and buy what you like. Or invest the money another way instead.

I also believe that watches as an investment strategy is a poor strategy. Does that make me "delusional?" I don't think so Blue. But you are entitled to your opinion. However, you might want to express it more politely. But again, that is up to you.
Old 1 October 2022, 10:01 AM   #74
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I tried to sell my Rolex sub back to my AD. They said two nickels and a thank you. Go omega.
Old 1 October 2022, 10:13 AM   #75
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Can’t go wrong with a submariner, especially LV

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 10:28 AM   #76
Baiv
Banned

Watch: SubLV
Buy what you like
Baiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 10:30 AM   #77
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Rolex that keeps value

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
"Deluding." Nice manners Blue.

Historically, some people have made money on baseball cards and Avon collectables. And a lot of people lost their shirt. Does not make them "financial instruments."

Used cars have shot up a lot too. Does not make them "financial instruments."

In the last 2-3 years, surgical gloves and facemarks also went for high amounts. And more recently, baby formula. Does not make them financial instruments.

3 years does of high demand does not a sound future "investment" make. And there are many who got a rude awakening to this fact when they bought high and missed the wave.

But back to OP. He is not looking to flip from an AD to make quick money. He wants to buy a watch and wear it but also have it hold its value 5-10 years from now.

Many posters say, any rolex should be safe. I say maybe, maybe not. Who knows what people will care about 5-10 years from now. We may be living in an entirely different world. If we revert to where we were before all this silliness started, it entirely possible that even at MSRP, OP will not get his money back. But maybe he will. No one really knows.

I agree with those who say forget the investment issue and buy what you like. Or invest the money another way instead.

I also believe that watches as an investment strategy is a poor strategy. Does that make me "delusional?" I don't think so Blue. But you are entitled to your opinion. However, you might want to express it more politely. But again, that is up to you.

I didn’t mean to offend you. So let me rephrase. If you bought a Rolex 40 years ago, and sold it today, you made money. If you bought a Rolex 20 years ago and sold it today, you made money. If you bought a Rolex 10 years ago and sold it today you made money. If you bought a Rolex 5 years ago and sold it today, you probably made money.
It takes an ignoring of reality to think that some people didn’t make money buying and selling watches.
I didn’t say I thought watches were a sound investment, or a good investment or a smart investment, but over the past several years people have made money speculating on watches. Anyone with eyes can look at a chart of watch values as see the same thing.

My whole point was that the response “watches are not investments” is not helpful to someone who comes here asking about watch values. If somebody hears it, they are just going to think the person saying it doesn’t want them to look at watch values.
Because again, they have eyes and know that people have made money.
Much more valuable advice would be why it’s a bad idea right now and how watches are changing and how the bottom is falling out of the market.

All I was saying is (watches are not investments is not useful advice. I definitely don’t think that watches should be used as investments.

Old 1 October 2022, 10:36 AM   #78
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I didn’t mean to offend you. So let me rephrase. If you bought a Rolex 40 years ago, and sold it today, you made money. If you bought a Rolex 20 years ago and sold it today, you made money. If you bought a Rolex 10 years ago and sold it today you made money. If you bought a Rolex 5 years ago and sold it today, you probably made money.
It takes an ignoring of reality to think that some people didn’t make money buying and selling watches.
I didn’t say I thought watches were a sound investment, or a good investment or a smart investment, but over the past several years people have made money speculating on watches. Anyone with eyes can look at a chart of watch values as see the same thing.

My whole point was that the response “watches are not investments is not helpful to someone who comes here asking about watch values. If somebody hears it, they are just going to think the person saying it doesn’t want them to look at watch values.
Because again, they have eyes and know that people have made money.
Much more valuable advice would be why it’s a bad idea right now and how watches are changing and how the bottom is falling out of the market.

All I was saying is (watches are not investments is not useful advice. I definitely don’t think that catches should be used as investments.

I get where you are coming from Blue. But I still think buying with future value in mind misses the point of enjoying the watch you would enjoy wearing.
Old 1 October 2022, 12:57 PM   #79
John Fugate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchsama View Post
Rolex Cellini or Yacht Master II
Are you kidding , ??? It’s Cellini hands down all day everyday. Yacht Master 2’s just sit there flat like Daytonas.
John Fugate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 01:20 PM   #80
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I consider myself a collector but I am very in tune with the market prices because i hate to waste money I could have saved. But that is just me. And ive built a nice collection over the years so I cant knock people trying to determine value because that is what we all do. Whether we admit it or not.
Old 1 October 2022, 02:38 PM   #81
bluestreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
I consider myself a collector but I am very in tune with the market prices because i hate to waste money I could have saved. But that is just me. And ive built a nice collection over the years so I cant knock people trying to determine value because that is what we all do. Whether we admit it or not.

I love my collection and wear every single one of my watches. But I definitely keep track of what each of them are worth. I don’t think it makes me less of a watch enthusiast.
Old 1 October 2022, 02:43 PM   #82
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangambrill View Post
Am I the only one that thinks you should buy that you love, and wear it everyday (or as much as possible)?
Not the only one for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 03:59 PM   #83
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
At the end of the day, I would always think of it like this. Would I be happy looking down at my wrist at a watch which wasn’t my first choice, but with the warm glow of knowing I wasn’t losing any money. Or would I rather get the satisfaction that I had the watch on that I loved and could enjoy without thinking about it too much.

For me it’s the latter (obviously as someone who buys more omegas than Rolex) - the odd loss on a watch, which is not likely with any sports Rolex these days, is an occupational hazard in this hobby and for me part of the price of enjoyment (like many others which aren’t free).

Others may vary, but I certainly wouldn’t particularly want to own my second choice car when the one I really wanted was still on the forecourt at the dealer. Life’s too short and we need to enjoy it too. Get the one you want, love it and start making memories with it.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 08:09 PM   #84
Colnick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15500 6119R DJ41
Go to a few Rolex ADs, try on the exhibition models, evaluate for comfort, style and functionality. Enjoy the process and be patient while you are waiting for delivery. Most Rolex models bought at retail retain most of their value, but there are resale costs when the time might come to sell.
Colnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 10:33 PM   #85
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
I get that and I guess this is more of a new phenomenon with watches and other “toys” or hobbies, but for me, the only think I regularly track the value of are actual investments in the market and my financial portfolio. If I was constantly checking the current market value of my watches, it would ruin the hobby for me, and instead of just choosing watches based on how much I like them, I would become a prisoner to value retention and investment potential, which unfortunately seems to be the mindset transferred over from hype beasts in clothing and sneakers. Every time I go to Georgetown, there’s a line out the door of the Nike store so everyone can get the latest limited release or whatever because they can then hold it and sell it for a profit. I can never get into that mindset for goods I use on a regular basis.
Old 1 October 2022, 10:53 PM   #86
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
there’s a line out the door of the Nike store so everyone can get the latest limited release or whatever because they can then hold it and sell it for a profit. I can never get into that mindset for goods I use on a regular basis.
My ex girlfriend years ago was a sneaker head. I remember these lines. Back then, the hype was behind the closed doors of online forums. Now, it’s all over the socials for all of us to see and brought a lot more into the fold.

I agree, for things I use daily, I consider them a value to my daily existence and want the best things that I feel is worth the price. I don’t purchase with an exit strategy rationalized as investments.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 11:02 PM   #87
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangambrill View Post
Am I the only one that thinks you should buy that you love, and wear it everyday (or as much as possible)? . . .
Seriously? Yeah, you're the only one.