The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 March 2022, 03:00 AM   #31
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
Prestons are hateful to deal with....nice new showroom with stuff you can't buy and they refuse to take any intent to purchase in the future.....even if you have bought from them in the past.

Don't expect a call anytime soon.

Haha, i know them quite well.

I don’t disagree hugely with your sentiments about the lack of contact, but hopefully may be proved wrong.

What happened with you and them?
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 03:09 AM   #32
johnwigan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
Tom Coll in Glasgow has one ready to go right now, best grey prices in the UK too..
£6150 above RRP for a two year old second hand watch. At the peak of the bubble. That is not a bargain.
johnwigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 04:13 AM   #33
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura!, View Post
Haha, i know them quite well.

I don’t disagree hugely with your sentiments about the lack of contact, but hopefully may be proved wrong.

What happened with you and them?

I've moved on since 2015 and am very happy with the AD that have supplied my new Rolex's (about 21 in total) since walking away from Prestons in Guildford.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 07:11 AM   #34
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwigan View Post
£6150 above RRP for a two year old second hand watch. At the peak of the bubble. That is not a bargain.
Who's bargain hunting? It's there now, today.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 07:31 AM   #35
Miker86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
Who's bargain hunting? It's there now, today.
Absolutely not the cheapest on the grey market. Do you work there?
Miker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 07:37 AM   #36
bob sims
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
They will all waste your time because you’re wasting their time with no purchase history lol
bob sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 09:20 AM   #37
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Your local independent
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2022, 09:36 AM   #38
op41gottacatchemall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
Register your interest at both if you have the time to increase your chances.
this is terrible advise. WOS and all their outlets inc Goldsmiths and Mappin all use the same database and you WILL show as registered at multiple sites for the same piece..this guarantees you look desperate and you wont get a call..from anyone
op41gottacatchemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 06:09 PM   #39
Binky1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610LN
Quote:
I've moved on since 2015 and am very happy with the AD that have supplied my new Rolex's (about 21 in total) since walking away from Prestons in Guildford.
I have to say that I have only had good experiences with Preston’s Guildford. Been buying from them since 2017 and they’ve got me some nice pieces.
I am not a whale by any means and have to save for my purchases. I have always found them to be knowledgeable, polite and fun to deal with. They have even delivered watches to my workplace! Sure they can be Uber busy as Guildford has a pretty rich demographic but always seem to find time for me, so no complaints here!
Old 1 October 2022, 07:05 PM   #40
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky1 View Post
I have to say that I have only had good experiences with Preston’s Guildford. Been buying from them since 2017 and they’ve got me some nice pieces.
I am not a whale by any means and have to save for my purchases. I have always found them to be knowledgeable, polite and fun to deal with. They have even delivered watches to my workplace! Sure they can be Uber busy as Guildford has a pretty rich demographic but always seem to find time for me, so no complaints here!
I deal with Prestons in Wilmslow - have had several Rolex from them and found them to be excellent with both contact and customer service.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 08:37 PM   #41
PIL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41mm 126334
Another one for Prestons in Leeds (or the Rolex boutique run by them nowadays). Bought two so far and waiting for one more for me and my wife.

I would avoid anything related to WoS. Had only terrible and arrogant service when I tried there initially.

Last edited by PIL; 1 October 2022 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Addition
PIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 09:24 PM   #42
Miker86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGoodnight369 View Post
You’d think the noobs would do just a tad of research on here before asking these questions. Bro no one can answer that and honestly it’s just ridiculous this same question pops up a couple times a week. Obviously you know it’s not easy to get one. Go to an AD and ask. Question answered
This. There are no shortcuts.
Miker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 11:33 PM   #43
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex71168 View Post
Mappin and Webb no longer sell Rolex in Guildford it’s Preston’s and they won’t take your name for any Rolex sadly!
Thanks,....Good reporting!
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 11:37 PM   #44
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Seems like watches are so much harder to get in the UK vs the US. Are their less ADs? Are the areas wealthier? Do they have the same rules as in the US not to sell to grey (I know it still happens). I am guessing the UK has stores in the wealthier areas whereas in the US there are some very wealthy areas (NY/LA) that are harder to get, but in smaller markets like here in Pittsburgh, maybe less of a demand.
Old 2 October 2022, 12:38 AM   #45
WatchWhisperer
"TRF" Member

There is a Reddit Megathread for anyone who’s bought a watch, waiting times, AD location and purchase history

You can search for any UK purchases there and get an idea
WatchWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 12:39 AM   #46
WatchWhisperer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIL View Post
Another one for Prestons in Leeds (or the Rolex boutique run by them nowadays). Bought two so far and waiting for one more for me and my wife.

I would avoid anything related to WoS. Had only terrible and arrogant service when I tried there initially.
Hi, may I ask which models you have got so far and which ones you are waiting for?

Thanks
WatchWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 01:16 AM   #47
M9APO
"TRF" Member

I bought a 36mm DJ (silver smooth bezel, oyster) from my local independent AD in August 21 and was offered a Sub Date 6 months later which I declined.

I registered interest with Goldsmiths at the same time(June 21) as the local AD and never heard a a thing from them.

My local AD offered me a 124060 last month which I bought and they bought my DJ back from me for more than I paid for it.

From personal experience this is the way to go, play the AD game, wear the DJ for a year and think of the profit from the DJ as a discount on the Sub.
M9APO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 03:33 AM   #48
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

Quote:
always seem to find time for me
??

You’re a paying customer. That’s the general idea when you walk in to a store.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 03:54 AM   #49
Woody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mspring90 View Post
Hi All,

Is there anyone in the U.K that can share their experience of buying a Submariner Date Black Dial from a AD?

I'm looking to understand the most reliable AD's and ones that don't waste your time.

- Which store?
- How long did it take to get called up with no purchase history?

Thanks,
M
Go into your local AD and have a chat with them. Worst they can do is say no, but it might work out well for you. Maybe express an interest in the standard (no-date) version. Show some knowledge of the brand and the watch and you never know it might work. If that fails then try some of the reputable pre-owned dealers. Prices of Submariners on the secondary market are getting closer to RRP so you might decide that going down that route is the best option. Miltonaires (no connection) have a good range of models for sale at the moment so might be worth trying them. Whatever you decide I hope you mange to get hold of a Submariner in the not too distant future (and welcome to the Forum).
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 04:22 AM   #50
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon14

Quote:
Good to hear your experiences are positive here. I’ve sent a few watch related friends into Preston’s to see what their view is from a “mystery shopper” point of view and it’s generally aligned with mine, hence why I gave up with them years ago after getting shafted on the Daytona wait list in 2015.

Thanks for posting and I hope they continue to look after you
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 06:05 AM   #51
Binky1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 16610LN
Quote:
Good to hear your experiences are positive here. I’ve sent a few watch related friends into Preston’s to see what their view is from a “mystery shopper” point of view and it’s generally aligned with mine, hence why I gave up with them years ago after getting shafted on the Daytona wait list in 2015.

Cheers Gareth….still hoping for my Daytona but not holding my breath. The Speedy is a great alternative (apart from bracelet…which is pure toytown)
Old 2 October 2022, 04:07 PM   #52
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
it's that simple, either play the AD game or go grey. there is no other way.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 04:23 PM   #53
waxy88
"TRF" Member

WOS have closed their list for nearly all Rolex models, so that answers that question.
Clearly you only want a black sub and if you are buying to keep forever, then accept the grey market premium get your watch and enjoy it.
I recommend BQ Watches in Radlett, Hertfordshire. They have a huge inventory, are very professional and I have personally spoken to Spencer, the owner, a number of times and he is a really nice chap
waxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 08:28 PM   #54
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Seems like watches are so much harder to get in the UK vs the US. Are their less ADs? Are the areas wealthier? Do they have the same rules as in the US not to sell to grey (I know it still happens). I am guessing the UK has stores in the wealthier areas whereas in the US there are some very wealthy areas (NY/LA) that are harder to get, but in smaller markets like here in Pittsburgh, maybe less of a demand.
I think there's generally less supply to the UK market and we seem to have a lot of flipping on a per capita basis.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 10:14 PM   #55
dlrolex
"TRF" Member

Same thing again
dlrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 03:57 AM   #56
Roddypeepa
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 SubC SMPCcoax
Pound pretty weak atm meaning they either won’t send many sesirabel models over here or the prices in uk go up another 10 per cent. Either way not great with everything else going on right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roddypeepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 09:05 AM   #57
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwill View Post
Investing effort in a small AD is a risky move as Rolex consolidates its dealer network.
True, but I'd welcome Rolex boutiques over the WOS cartel we have in the UK any day.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2022, 04:58 PM   #58
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
True, but I'd welcome Rolex boutiques over the WOS cartel we have in the UK any day.
Most “boutiques” are wos owned.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2022, 06:12 PM   #59
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:

We all don't get what we want at times
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 October 2022, 08:21 PM   #60
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
Don't understand why WoS get so much bad press, I have had excellent service from Mappin and Webb, bought 4 Rolex watches from them, I also bought some Omega watches from the WoS run Omega Boutique which was a great store with really friendly staff, always able to scrounge a free coffee when I dropped in for a chat, got loads of freebies with my purchases as well which is always nice.

But as others have mentioned, all the WoS stores irrespective of the name on the door use a central database to log your interests, this is why WoS often ask for proof of ID to ensure that you are who you say you are.

I have had no issues at all with WoS, great service and friendly staff at every turn, but it is two years since I last bought anything from them due to a house move so things may have changed in the intervening period.

My new AD is an independent, lovely friendly and very welcoming but as I have no previous history they have made it clear that any watch I want will require me to get a history with the store. As they have nothing that I or the Mrs need my Rolex buying days are (or at least appear to be) over which is fine.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote