The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 2 October 2022, 11:39 AM   #1
MONTANTK
"TRF" Member

ADs and USD to CAD conversion

Currently a U.S. resident living in close proximity to Canada. Given the current exchange rate, it seems there are some good deals to be had on brands such as Breitling, Omega, Tudor, and FC.

Does anyone have any familiarity with Toronto area ADs and these brands. Am I better off converting my USD to CAD or can I use USD. If using USD, would it be unreasonable to ask for an additional discount assuming they’re honoring the exchange? I know it’s a fairly specific question but figured I’d ask.
MONTANTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 01:31 PM   #2
logo
"TRF" Member

I have no idea, but I’d imagine a Canadian AD would not care about any currency other than their own and I do not think the USD has the buying power you think it has in Canada, which has held the most steady of all currencies relative to the USD. The USD-CAD exchange rate is like 10% over what it’s been the past few months, which previously has been on par with historical averages. On a $10,000 CAD watch, what used to be $7,800 USD is now $7,200 USD. In Ontario, tax will be 13% compared to whatever your state tax is - assuming NY, so 7-8%? Plus add in travel costs. Unless you’re talking about a 100k piece, there isn’t really any legitimate savings to be had that’s worth the hassle IMO.
logo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 08:40 PM   #3
MONTANTK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
I have no idea, but I’d imagine a Canadian AD would not care about any currency other than their own and I do not think the USD has the buying power you think it has in Canada, which has held the most steady of all currencies relative to the USD. The USD-CAD exchange rate is like 10% over what it’s been the past few months, which previously has been on par with historical averages. On a $10,000 CAD watch, what used to be $7,800 USD is now $7,200 USD. In Ontario, tax will be 13% compared to whatever your state tax is - assuming NY, so 7-8%? Plus add in travel costs. Unless you’re talking about a 100k piece, there isn’t really any legitimate savings to be had that’s worth the hassle IMO.
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the current conversion 1 USD is equivalent to $1.38 CAD? If that’s true then I feel like there could be savings there if I were to exchange cash at the border. The tax brings up a good point. Not sure if Canadian ADs are as willing to do cash deals as US ADs are
Old 2 October 2022, 08:49 PM   #4
MONTANTK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Just did the conversion and realized you are correct. I was doing to math wrong in my head. Appreciate the help!
Old 2 October 2022, 10:12 PM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
So prices will be higher in CAD vs USD and you have the 13% tax. You will also be subject to tax when coming back over the border, if the agent chooses to ring you for it. By far the way to do it is with a credit card that has no foreign transaction fees. Nobody wants to deal in cash and you get closer to the true FX rate than a borderside booth.

About 8 years ago I use to buy all my Rolex in Canada. Yes the exchange was a factor but honestly the biggest difference was that Canadian ADs were willing to discount almost anything 25% back then. I was never charged at the border and always disclosed the purchase with receipt. Most times you just get border patrol laughing under their breathe at what you spend on jewelry.

Today I think even on second tier brands like Breitling (a favorite of mine) you will struggle to find any real savings. I’ll admit I had considered doing the same for a Vacheron then figured the watch probably wasn’t in stock anyway etc

Tl;dr The savings won’t be substantial and you can do just as well getting these pieces 25% off in the states. If you’re just looking for a reason to visit TO then by all means.
Old 2 October 2022, 10:15 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
So prices will be higher in CAD vs USD and you have the 13% tax. You will also be subject to tax when coming back over the border, if the agent chooses to ring you for it. By far the way to do it is with a credit card that has no foreign transaction fees. Nobody wants to deal in cash and you get closer to the true FX rate than a borderside booth.

About 8 years ago I use to buy all my Rolex in Canada. Yes the exchange was a factor but honestly the biggest difference was that Canadian ADs were willing to discount almost anything 25% back then. I was never charged at the border and always disclosed the purchase with receipt. Most times you just get border patrol laughing under their breathe at what you spend on jewelry.

Today I think even on second tier brands like Breitling (a favorite of mine) you will struggle to find any real savings. I’ll admit I had considered doing the same for a Vacheron then figured the watch probably wasn’t in stock anyway etc

Tl;dr The savings won’t be substantial and you can do just as well getting these pieces 25% off in the states. If you’re just looking for a reason to visit TO then by all means.
^^^ I’d listen to this, he’s lived it
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 11:08 PM   #7
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Agree with GB-man, it's a combination of currency arbitrage and (mainly) discounts combined. Sometimes manufacturers are slow to update their pricing due to the widely variable illusion of currency 'value' over time.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 11:19 PM   #8
MONTANTK
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Appreciate the advice! I did some more research and if I did get dinged for duty then it probably wouldn’t be worth the trek. That said, I might still go just for the sake of seeing some different stuff.
Old 2 October 2022, 11:35 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTANTK View Post
Appreciate the advice! I did some more research and if I did get dinged for duty then it probably wouldn’t be worth the trek. That said, I might still go just for the sake of seeing some different stuff.
Welcome to Canada (in advance)

I might suggest the Yorkdale Mall (In north Toronto). They pretty much have all the brands you mentioned under one roof, and they have a nice VC and Panerai boutiques as well
Old 3 October 2022, 02:45 AM   #10
MONTANTK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome to Canada (in advance)

I might suggest the Yorkdale Mall (In north Toronto). They pretty much have all the brands you mentioned under one roof, and they have a nice VC and Panerai boutiques as well
I was there right before COVID and I was like a kid on Christmas. Came across a boutique edition tag I regret not buying. I was blown away by the Hublot and VC boutiques
Old 3 October 2022, 02:55 AM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I was there right before COVID and I was like a kid on Christmas. Came across a boutique edition tag I regret not buying. I was blown away by the Hublot and VC boutiques

It is kind of a watch geeks wet dream

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 3 October 2022, 03:35 AM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

It is kind of a watch geeks wet dream

Was going to go last week then envisioned myself miserable in QEW traffic lol

Old 3 October 2022, 03:53 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Was going to go last week then envisioned myself miserable in QEW traffic lol

That's gotta be one of the worst stretches of freeway in North America

Old 3 October 2022, 07:23 AM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That's gotta be one of the worst stretches of freeway in North America

It’s not great. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve coughed up the 20 bucks to save 15 minutes on the 407 lol my wife hates me every time.
Old 3 October 2022, 07:59 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It’s not great. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve coughed up the 20 bucks to save 15 minutes on the 407 lol my wife hates me every time.
Don't get me started ... the 407 has to be the most expensive toll road in North America

You can't win either way

Old 3 October 2022, 08:08 AM   #16
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
I sold my 550i GT, just can't face sitting in traffic anymore in a twin turbo V8. They killed the exits off the Gardiner to the Beach, so sitting on the Lakeshore, yea, just not gonna do it anymore...anytime I go anywhere now, if it's downtown it's TTC or Uber, and if we must hit the highway, it's only 407....
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 09:33 AM   #17
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
I would forget the idea. I once had problems at the border. Another time was charged over $3000 in Canadian fees while my watch sat at YYZ. Me just taking my watches to my home in Fla from Canada has been an issue.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 09:36 AM   #18
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t the current conversion 1 USD is equivalent to $1.38 CAD? If that’s true then I feel like there could be savings there if I were to exchange cash at the border. The tax brings up a good point. Not sure if Canadian ADs are as willing to do cash deals as US ADs are
Some won’t take a CC either. I once purchased two PM watches and had to get a bank cheque for the purchase.
Old 3 October 2022, 09:42 AM   #19
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s the only sensible way to go. Last winter I had my Florida tagged car on the 407 and they sent me a bill to Fla
Old 3 October 2022, 12:28 PM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
That’s the only sensible way to go. Last winter I had my Florida tagged car on the 407 and they sent me a bill to Fla

Haha yeah they bill me like a month later in NY. I also get those bills from alligator alley like a month later with a nice little picture proving I was there and owe them.