The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 October 2022, 08:24 AM   #1
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Q: Do you already own your Grail Rolex?

In some rarified watch collector air on this board. Who already owns their Grail Rolex?

Pictures and back stories appreciated :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 08:30 AM   #2
Barada7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I recently acquired a Submariner 16610LV. I’m not sure there’s a Rolex out there that I’d prefer over it. Plus I still have my Explorer 214270, which I love. I think I’ve achieved it. Am I content? Well, I don’t own a Patek or Audemars, yet. But suddenly they’ve become of interest.
Barada7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 09:02 AM   #3
Django_
"TRF" Member

I received the call for my 126711CHNR rootbeer earlier this year. This watch was meant to be my wedding watch however I did not get it in time for my wedding unfortunately.

My first Rolex purchase ever was a two tone everose 126231 Datejust 36 with a white dial and oyster bracelet for my wife as wedding gift. This was back in the summer of 2021 a few months before everything went 'exhibition only'. At the time I had passed up on a chocolate dial Datejust 126331 on an oyster hoping for the GMT MASTER II.

I of course did not get in time for our wedding but about 8 months later one of our AD's came through and I was happy as I can be to have it before our first anniversary. I have since added a stainless submariner and a stainless yacht master for my wife as well to our collection but our wedding pieces will forever be our grails. They literally look like Ying and Yang with the white and black dials

I have a couple more sought after models I'd like but am in no rush to get them and know they will eventually come around. The GMT was always my grail and always will be the piece I cherish most. My wife is from a different country and we spent a whole year living in different timezones so the GMT has always been a very useful function for me.

The Tudor pepsi was my engagement watch with the GMT MASTER II being my wedding watch and both will forever be in my collection.
Django_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 09:04 AM   #4
Reikolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django_ View Post
I received the call for my 126711CHNR rootbeer earlier this year. This watch was meant to be my wedding watch however I did not get it in time for my wedding unfortunately.

My first Rolex purchase ever was a two tone everose 126231 Datejust 36 with a white dial and oyster bracelet for my wife as wedding gift. This was back in the summer of 2021 a few months before everything went 'exhibition only'. At the time I had passed up on a chocolate dial Datejust 126331 on an oyster hoping for the GMT MASTER II.

I of course did not get in time for our wedding but about 8 months later one of our AD's came through and I was happy as I can be to have it before our first anniversary. I have since added a stainless submariner and a stainless yacht master for my wife as well to our collection but our wedding pieces will forever be our grails. They literally look like Ying and Yang with the white and black dials

I have a couple more sought after models I'd like but am in no rush to get them and know they will eventually come around. The GMT was always my grail and always will be the piece I cherish most. My wife is from a different country and we spent a whole year living in different timezones so the GMT has always been a very useful function for me.

The Tudor pepsi was my engagement watch with the GMT MASTER II being my wedding watch and both will forever be in my collection.

Great story , love it.

Reikolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 09:15 AM   #5
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
I think grails may come and go over time to eventually evolve. At least that's pretty much been my journey.

I would have to say that my first ever and only grail watch was an outstanding example of a 5517. On a number of levels, this was impractical and ultimately proved to be unatainable.

Then I unwittingly stumbled upon a MK II dialed 116660 which was one of only a few watches that I've bought on the spot, with the vast bulk of my watch purchases being after much research and even more consideration.
That DSSD was the catalyst for me to completely sell off a well thought out, curated and very specific collection of my favourite Rolex watches spanning decades of effort stretching well back before the internet.

In summary, I had stumbled upon my grail Rolex in that 2011 DSSD, with only a passing notion of a grail watch being the 5517 which I no longer desire.
Then the JC came along which I had to add as my wife's wedding gift to me and it morphed into my grail which is kept in pristine condition as much as possible.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 09:17 AM   #6
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

Yes, I already own my grail watch which is a 116500LN. Recently acquired by trading a Hulk + cash. Of course now that I have my grail my eyes are wandering and I've decided that my next piece will be a PM either a RG or WG Olive Day Date, once I get that I think I'm done. Also have a GMT Black Ceramic which I purchased brand new from AD in 2017 w/ funds from my 1st Rolex, a vintage WG Day Date 36 that I bought and later sold because I thought it was small.
Laostuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 09:25 AM   #7
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I think my 116500 is probably “The Grail.” It’s actually the fourth SS Daytona I’ve owned over the years so I can obviously be fickle, but retired now buying more watches is not a priority. Never been a PM kind of guy and my current three Rolex cover a lot of bases so I’m good for now.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 09:25 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 09:39 AM   #9
giskard
"TRF" Member

Mine was a 126710 BLRO. And picked one up a couple of weeks back. Loving the Pepsi. It’s a great all rounder.
giskard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 09:40 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I don’t necessarily believe in grail watches.

That said, I’m pretty content with where I’m at
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 09:44 AM   #11
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
My husband and I both do.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 09:47 AM   #12
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Q: Do you already own your Grail Rolex?

So many Galahads running around in today’s watch collecting world based on the loose definition of a grail
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 09:47 AM   #13
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Well kinda. My grail started out as a 935. Got it

I then moved to a 515. Got it

However the needle keeps moving

Really want to add a 116509 as the grail of grails. Knowing just how hard and expensive it is the needle will probably stop with it. Maybe….

In the meantime these 2 which were very hard and also not cheap took a lot to get so if I never get the 506 I’m sure I’ll be just fine. Maybe…
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9621C90D-59F5-4433-A73F-FD79283A7172.jpeg (139.3 KB, 1107 views)
File Type: jpeg 73280E05-AA02-4624-87DB-9D3964BC5BBA.jpeg (119.6 KB, 1107 views)
Old 3 October 2022, 09:51 AM   #14
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco View Post
In some rarified watch collector air on this board. Who already owns their Grail Rolex?

Pictures and back stories appreciated :)

I own 72 grails. Very well documented in threads. I feel humbled.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 10:16 AM   #15
YGRLX
"TRF" Member

Still waiting for it…
YGRLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 10:28 AM   #16
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
No
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 10:40 AM   #17
Nova1
"TRF" Member

I do not. For me it’s a 36mm YG Day Date. I’m a doctor and I have a hard time flashing that watch in front of my patients and staff. I hope to one day feel comfortable enough to wear it without feeling like treatment fees and salaries have allowed me to buy a gold brick. I’m 40 now. We’ll see when it makes sense for me. Interestingly, I practice alongside my dad, who bought his dream watch, a 36mm YG Day-Date pyramid dial in his early 40’s and he wore it consistently throughout his career. He let me borrow the watch for my last months in residency. It felt special, until a sales rep approached me in the clinic to ask about my new “time-piece”. I was embarrassed. It’s why I wear a 1680, hoping to fly a bit under the radar.
Nova1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 10:53 AM   #18
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

Nice topic OP! As an early collector there were many watches I hoped to acquire at some point but never a flay out grail. Then in 2012 I think... I saw that #1 issue of those Rolex books that featured a diff model every year or so. On that cover was the PlaTona. It was perfection to my eye in every way!! I told my AD that i wanted one. He said, you know its platinum right.? Then told me the price. I said NEVERMIND. It’s has always been THE ONE for me. I turned 50 two years ago, and my wife said I should treat myself but i just couldn’t quite pull the trigger. Later in the year I told my AD I wanted one. He said he’d do his best. About a year and a half later, it came. I let go of 3 SS pieces to ease the blow. Ill say that its really the only watch i want to wear. It really is. Last piece is that I initially wanted the original with brown ring subdials but the baguette was the one they sent. Both are incredible but this checks every box. Onto the pic....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TheHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 10:57 AM   #19
dgr8dude
"TRF" Member

I got super lucky and was able buy my grail watch, the Smurf back in 2015 at below retail, but I have to give up my 2005 Kermit, 2010 GMT Master and 1998 SD... up until 2021, I kinda regretted my decision, but seeing how much the now discontinued Smurfs are popping up in the grey market, I'm good.
dgr8dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 11:13 AM   #20
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
It’s a hard to answer question for me.

I have quite a few fantastic watches but most of them were bought/justified with my kids in mind as they will go to them.

That being said my fathers 16750 (passed away) that I own that will continue on with me after my kids all have received their watches. So that being said with the importance of the 16750 to me it is indeed my grail, however I’m more of a Rolex dive watch type guy stylistically. I absolutely love my 16750 but having a 16600 again just for me I can beat on and not have to worry about even if not overly pricey in Rolex terms is the grail. Love PM watches and all but can’t see myself in one.

So in a weird way I do and I don’t.
Old 3 October 2022, 11:16 AM   #21
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Yep. I wanted a sub half my life and got one a few years ago. Still enjoying every day of ownership.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_2394.jpg (211.0 KB, 1020 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9875sm2.jpg (231.5 KB, 1019 views)
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 11:19 AM   #22
Watch Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
My current and only Rolex is my grail.
Watch Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 11:25 AM   #23
Tach24LMS
"TRF" Member

No, not yet.

Hope to within the next year.
Tach24LMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 11:28 AM   #24
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
I'd have to say yes because any watch I want, I already have. I guess I'm lucky I don't desire much. I'm totally happy with with my collection. And if I were to add more, I would add tudor and other less expensive brands, that I'm now preferring over rolex.
Old 3 October 2022, 11:36 AM   #25
Andad

Watch: A few.
I have one of each of my grails so far but there are too many more out there.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 11:46 AM   #26
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
You never really have a grail. You just keep getting until you get to the point of having a collective grail

htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 12:03 PM   #27
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Yes, I have my grail Rolex which I saw on a watch magazine cover in 2000 and the AD got it for me after a few months. I traded in 4 watches for it including a YG Daytona on Strap, a Bvlgari scuba, an older Submariner and a Eberhard Tazio Nuvolari…

Old 3 October 2022, 12:12 PM   #28
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
No.
Old 3 October 2022, 12:35 PM   #29
DJ OG
"TRF" Member

Just picked up a watch I’ve wanted for a long time, a new submariner. My dealer is awesome and surprised me with a call a few weeks ago. I plan to buy others but this is the first rolex I’ve bought for myself after wearing the same datejust my dad gave me 32 years ago. I’ve bought other new Rolex watches over the years as gifts, figured it was finally my turn. Can’t stop looking at it but will wear it like I’ve worn my datejust, anytime, anywhere -doing just about anything.
DJ OG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 12:58 PM   #30
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
My "grail" is the curation and cultivation of a collection that represents me, my personality, or important people, memories, or milestones in my life. I find that being selective, thoughtful, and original in this process brings greater satisfaction, as my hope is to only add to these timepieces over the years with special occasions, and thus watch them evolve, as I do.