The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: 5270P or 5740/1G
Salmon 5270P 44 58.67%
Nautilus 5740/1G 31 41.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14 August 2018, 03:33 PM   #61
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong. My AD offered me a 5270R and the watch was unbelievable. It's obvious in hindsight the 41mm case enables Patek to keep the watch comparatively thin for a PCC. I really dislike thick casebacks that cause the watch to sit high above the wrist, and the 5270 doesn't at all.

Rose gold isn't my thing, so I put a deposit down for a 5270P instead. Ironically, that watch will likely arrive months before the 5740. I suppose the answer to this poll is they're both excellent for completely different reasons
Congrats on the Double incoming
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 05:11 AM   #62
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
If current trends continue, I’m believing the Nautilus will be the sought after piece commanding significantly higher prices compared to the 5270P.

i was just revisiting this thread to see how the members opinions may have evolved based on the current market. noticed my own reply from 2018...

seeing the market now, would your choice be that same as 2018?

ps as much as i admire the perpetual chrono's and especially the movements that power them, i can't resolve a manual wind movement on a perpetual calendar as a timepiece that would be considered as a daily wear.
Old 31 May 2021, 05:47 AM   #63
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I was and still am a Nautilus guy but prices now have gone insane.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2021, 08:04 PM   #64
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i was just revisiting this thread to see how the members opinions may have evolved based on the current market. noticed my own reply from 2018...

ps as much as i admire the perpetual chrono's and especially the movements that power them, i can't resolve a manual wind movement on a perpetual calendar as a timepiece that would be considered as a daily wear.
No one posted pictures of their on coming on this thread!

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2021, 05:36 AM   #65
P1nky_Up
"TRF" Member

It may be sacrilegious, but I’d go with the 5740G and the Breitling Premier B25 Datora 42 (clearly a knockoff version of the 5270P). Together you’re still tens of thousands cheaper and you have an awesome Patek and the look of the 5270. It’s honestly the route that I might take since I don’t have ~$350k laying around.
P1nky_Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 08:08 PM   #66
rolexperfect
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
got the change to get this at retail, and at retail I would go for the 5740 for sure.

2nd market price are also a bit crazy for the 5270p (Of course under 2x list price, but still high IMHO for such a modern PP)
Old 10 September 2022, 09:24 PM   #67
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:

4 years on and I think my answer now would be getting both references. I typically only choose 1 in a poll but both these references are too special to prioritise.

Congrats to those members here who have both. That's a proper pair
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 11:29 PM   #68
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I would add both also, if possible.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 03:46 AM   #69
bp1000
"TRF" Member

5270p, very easy decision.

I hate to say these things but surely if you have the money to buy either, you can get both.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 04:24 AM   #70
Daytona88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5712
5740 please and thank you!
Daytona88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 05:25 AM   #71
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
5270 without a second thought.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 06:25 AM   #72
dauster
"TRF" Member

5740 for sure both are great though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 08:21 AM   #73
Harry_S
"TRF" Member

5270P for the win 🏆
5740 if they bring it out in rose gold, which they probably will at some point.
Harry_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 01:22 PM   #74
Apheaven
"TRF" Member

Not bad for a thread that’s over 4 years old….both watches have aged rather well.

Apheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 08:30 PM   #75
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Updating a 4-year-old thread.
Ended up eventually with the 5740 and a different 5270P, although I am still very much in love with the salmon, and the J

IMG_20221001_182406_(1080_x_800_pixel).jpg
Old 1 October 2022, 11:44 PM   #76
np2016
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek, AP,
np2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 12:49 AM   #77
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Ended up eventually with the 5740 and a different 5270P, although I am still very much in love with the salmon, and the J

Attachment 1322029

Hell of a picture will use it for my desktop

Old 2 October 2022, 02:14 AM   #78
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Now you have both. :-)

I am kind of kicking myself for declining the 5270P. I think this will be a very short run too.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 02:30 AM   #79
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Hell of a picture will use it for my desktop
Haha thanks that’s very kind of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Now you have both. :-)

I am kind of kicking myself for declining the 5270P. I think this will be a very short run too.
The salmon lasted 4 years and this green one could run for a while because it is designed as a more casual piece to attract younger buyers? The 5270 started back in 2011 and I think it still has legs for another 3 to 4 years
Old 2 October 2022, 02:35 AM   #80
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha thanks that’s very kind of you

The salmon lasted 4 years and this green one could run for a while because it is designed as a more casual piece to attract younger buyers? The 5270 started back in 2011 and I think it still has legs for another 3 to 4 years

Great piece indeed and I like it better than salmon because I don’t like the numbers in the top part of the dial - looked good on me too but missing $200k but if money was no object I’d go 5370p in blue my absolute favorite.

5270 does have a better fit on my wrist though idk what it is about 5204 and 5370 that it always shifts to the top of my wrist

Old 2 October 2022, 03:12 AM   #81
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Great piece indeed and I like it better than salmon because I don’t like the numbers in the top part of the dial - looked good on me too but missing $200k but if money was no object I’d go 5370p in blue my absolute favorite.

5270 does have a better fit on my wrist though idk what it is about 5204 and 5370 that it always shifts to the top of my wrist
Both pieces look great on your wrist! Would love to add a 5370P too (I always have a soft spot for blue dials).

I also have the same issue with the 5270P whereby it keeps shifting to the top of my wrist. For me I think the most probable root cause is a lose fit and how the deployant clasp closes at an odd angle. I will order a shorter strap to see if it addresses the issue.
Old 2 October 2022, 07:16 AM   #82
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Attachment 1322029
combo-breaker! Doesn't get any better than that my friend. Now the real question is, how do you decide which to wear?! Maybe you should loan one to your good friend so it gets the proper attention it deserves.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 07:29 AM   #83
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Both pieces look great on your wrist! Would love to add a 5370P too (I always have a soft spot for blue dials).

I also have the same issue with the 5270P whereby it keeps shifting to the top of my wrist. For me I think the most probable root cause is a lose fit and how the deployant clasp closes at an odd angle. I will order a shorter strap to see if it addresses the issue.

It’s the Patek straps. They are pretty tough to wear. Not comfortable at all.

Order a JR strap (Alex Crown on IG made one for my 5270p, and it’s perfect) and don’t look back. It changes the wearing experience, from the start. No break-in period.

Congrats again!
Old 2 October 2022, 07:57 AM   #84
bobernet
"TRF" Member

5740 or 5270?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post

Order a JR strap (Alex Crown on IG made one for my 5270p, and it’s perfect) and don’t look back. It changes the wearing experience, from the start. No break-in period.

Congrats again!

For me, it’s the combination of strap break-in (they are stiff at first), and getting just the right length on the short side to position the deployant so the curve lands at the natural curve of your wrist. I’ve been fortunate that the stock length is pretty close for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 2 October 2022, 10:52 AM   #85
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
combo-breaker! Doesn't get any better than that my friend. Now the real question is, how do you decide which to wear?! Maybe you should loan one to your good friend so it gets the proper attention it deserves.
Thanks brother!
For now I will be wearing the green one a lot more, but I need to address the strap issue.

Quote:

Congrats again!
Thanks again my friend! You are one of the earlier enablers who drew me to the PCC. The salmon looks so good and I always look forward to your pics

Totally agree with the stiffness of the Patek strap and I will take a look at Alex Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
For me, it’s the combination of strap break-in (they are stiff at first), and getting just the right length on the short side to position the deployant so the curve lands at the natural curve of your wrist. I’ve been fortunate that the stock length is pretty close for me.
Spot on! There is now a gap at the short side of the strap as the standard strap is slightly long for my wrist. The strap should fit snug like your pic. I will order a shorter one and will also look into Stephen's suggestion above.
Old 2 October 2022, 11:30 AM   #86
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Thanks brother!
For now I will be wearing the green one a lot more, but I need to address the strap issue.

Thanks again my friend! You are one of the earlier enablers who drew me to the PCC. The salmon looks so good and I always look forward to your pics

Totally agree with the stiffness of the Patek strap and I will take a look at Alex Crown

Spot on! There is now a gap at the short side of the strap as the standard strap is slightly long for my wrist. The strap should fit snug like your pic. I will order a shorter one and will also look into Stephen's suggestion above.

Here’s a pic of the @alexcrownlive strap I got from them on the salmon 5270p.

Old 2 October 2022, 11:33 AM   #87
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you take some quick measurements while the watch is on your wrist, you should be able to figure out how much shorter (exactly) you need the strap. The good strap makers will make any length you need. Just be sure that you get the thickness right so it still fits in the deployant, and the pin can fully penetrate the hole on the long side. 3.5mm is about the max thickness at the buckle end. 2.5mm - 3mm would be better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 2 October 2022, 11:47 AM   #88
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Here’s a pic of the @alexcrownlive strap I got from them on the salmon 5270p.

I'm always floored by pics of your 5270 salmon. Great pic as always and that's a very good looking blue strap. Thanks again I will explore the matching colour for my green

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
If you take some quick measurements while the watch is on your wrist, you should be able to figure out how much shorter (exactly) you need the strap. The good strap makers will make any length you need. Just be sure that you get the thickness right so it still fits in the deployant, and the pin can fully penetrate the hole on the long side. 3.5mm is about the max thickness at the buckle end. 2.5mm - 3mm would be better.
Thanks Bob, that's a lot of useful info! Appreciate it
Old 2 October 2022, 02:29 PM   #89
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Good point about the lose fit if I’d own one of them I’d investigate further and they do look great maybe one day !!!

Old 12 October 2022, 12:54 PM   #90
jds1017
"TRF" Member

Having had the 5270P ahead of the 5740, I voted for the 5270P. But now that the 5740 arrived, I have to say they are both in different worlds. Can’t compare…But both beautiful in their own right…
jds1017 is offline   Reply With Quote