The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 September 2018, 01:22 PM   #31
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Whether brushed or polished, stainless steel will scratch and scuff.

Polished steel is no more prone to scratching or scuffing than brushed steel.

The idea that polished steel "should hold up better" or that brushed steel "holds up better than polished steel" is, well, insane.

It is what it is and even though the steel of a bracelet or watch scratches and scuffs does not in any perceivable way make polished steel and brushed steel indistinguishable.

The brushed surfaces look brushed and the polished surfaces look polished, though perhaps not as shiny as when new.

I have a Sub with a brushed bracelet and a BLNR with a PCL bracelet and both have plenty of scratches and scuffs, but you'd never mistake one bracelet for the other.

I don't know why people can't just accept reality as it is, but regardless, people are free to brush their PCLs, to simply avoid buying watches with PCLs, or, I guess, put all PCL watches on straps.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 05:03 PM   #32
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Just wear it and donīt worry too much.

Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2018, 06:54 PM   #33
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
PCL = Pain In Ass.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 01:23 AM   #34
WatchGuy1966
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence1 View Post
where did you have this done? any pics? I've been thinking about looking into this for mine but i'm concerned it would kill the resale value if i ever wanted to sell.
My AD did it for me. There are pics all over the google and I think you'll like them.
WatchGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 01:30 AM   #35
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchGuy1966 View Post
My AD did it for me. There are pics all over the google and I think you'll like them.
right on. i'll take a look. Did they tell you how reversible it is? I imagine the center links can be polished to a mirror finish again but i wonder if anyone has actually done it, and if so, was the material loss noticeable enough.
lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 02:18 PM   #36
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post

The idea that polished steel "should hold up better" or that brushed steel "holds up better than polished steel" is, well, insane.

It is what it is and even though the steel of a bracelet or watch scratches and scuffs does not in any perceivable way make polished steel and brushed steel indistinguishable.

The brushed surfaces look brushed and the polished surfaces look polished, though perhaps not as shiny as when new.

I have a Sub with a brushed bracelet and a BLNR with a PCL bracelet and both have plenty of scratches and scuffs, but you'd never mistake one bracelet for the other.

I don't know why people can't just accept reality as it is, but regardless, people are free to brush their PCLs, to simply avoid buying watches with PCLs, or, I guess, put all PCL watches on straps.
Its kind of like the crowd that says "black cars get dirty faster than silver cars". Of course they don't but they do show the dirt faster. Similarly, while steel is in fact steel, a polished surface shows the scratches faster than a similarly scratched brushed finish.
zengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2018, 03:33 PM   #37
PJitz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex368 View Post
Just wear it and donīt worry too much.

Looks great!
PJitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2018, 02:41 AM   #38
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Its kind of like the crowd that says "black cars get dirty faster than silver cars". Of course they don't but they do show the dirt faster. Similarly, while steel is in fact steel, a polished surface shows the scratches faster than a similarly scratched brushed finish.
Well, that may be the popular opinion regarding steel, but it is not one that I hold.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Old 27 September 2018, 03:31 AM   #39
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Similarly, while steel is in fact steel, a polished surface shows the scratches faster than a similarly scratched brushed finish.
I suppose that would be true if the scratches were in the same direction as, the same depth as, and the same length as the brushing. Aside from that, I think they look as equally scratched up as PCLs.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2018, 03:46 AM   #40
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post

I choose option C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vinyasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2018, 03:53 AM   #41
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I suppose that would be true if the scratches were in the same direction as, the same depth as, and the same length as the brushing. Aside from that, I think they look as equally scratched up as PCLs.
i don't get that its even a question. I happen to really like PCL, but the polished surfaces show the scratches. Its mirror polished and the light reflects off it differently. You can see your face reflected in your PCL, you cant on a brushed bracelet. With that level of reflection on a pretty much flat surface and no directional brushing you see more scratches. Doesnt mean there are more scratches though.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2018, 04:16 AM   #42
GradyPhilpott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyasa View Post
I choose option C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Old 27 September 2018, 11:02 AM   #43
Eagle dunes 75
2024 Pledge Member

I do not like plc’s at all. I have my watches with them brushed by my watchmaker. Looks so much better to me.
Eagle dunes 75 is offline   Reply With Quote