The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 September 2021, 03:21 AM   #31
GONZO2LR
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Submariner Date
nice...congratulation....wear in good Health.....
GONZO2LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 03:34 AM   #32
rolexako
"TRF" Member

To each his own as it pertains to the comments. For me, I have nothing but mad respect for Grand Seiko. The following are Spring Drives on my wish list: SBGA413 and SBGA211. The "hybrid" approach behind the spring drives is incredible. I've visited a couple GS ADs to see the watches in action and its just amazing to see them in real life. Super light and at first comes off as "cheap" ala a Swatch watch but then, when its a lighter metal, that should be expected.
rolexako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 03:36 AM   #33
telesquire
Banned

Its all in a name and I'm afraid the name Seiko to the 99.999% of the world means cheap watch popular in the 1970's/80's and honestly the word 'Grand' and that cheap typeface won't help a jot. Its a watch for people in the know and people who don't care that others will be thinking they are were a cheap 80 dollar watch.
telesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 03:37 AM   #34
Stan Cooper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
I've zeroed in on the GS Spring Drive SBGE253 GMT for my next purchase. The Spring Drive movement is an amazing piece of innovative engineering with an automatic mechanical movement and a quartz crystal timebase that is powered by a tiny generator which generates electric power as the mainspring unwinds. NO BATTERIES! It's incredibly accurate and has a 72 hour power reserve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVoRoK1u3Dg&ab_channel=TeddyBaldassarre

♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 03:39 AM   #35
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by duquephart View Post
As opposed to the Rolex zombies who carefully hike up their sleeve so everyone has a chance to notice?
I’ve literally never met anyone who’s done this. Who do you hang out with?
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 03:40 AM   #36
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by telesquire View Post
Its all in a name and I'm afraid the name Seiko to the 99.999% of the world means cheap watch popular in the 1970's/80's and honestly the word 'Grand' and that cheap typeface won't help a jot. Its a watch for people in the know and people who don't care that others will be thinking they are were a cheap 80 dollar watch.
So a watch for smart people?
Old 22 September 2021, 04:09 AM   #37
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinnakeet View Post
It’s been my experience after attending my share of events that the average GS wearer has much more knowledge of watches and is more secure in their purchases than the average Rolex wearer.
Absolutely, this would have to be the case. To purchase a Grand Seiko is almost the exact opposite of purchasing a Rolex. If the average Joe sees you are wearing a Rolex they will immediately perceive you to be a person of means and success. If they see you are wearing a Seiko (the "Grand" part will be completely lost on them) they will either assume you spent $100 on it, or, that you are completely insane for spending "Rolex money" on a damn Seiko.

So it is only those in the know, the true WIS, who would swim against this stream and buy what they really like, in spite of the lack of kudos the purchase will get them.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 04:14 AM   #38
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Grand Seiko pros: advanced engineering, beautiful finish, good value, available.

Grand Seiko cons: spotty USA customer service, no commitment to long term parts availability, unimaginative styling.

Spring Drive: either the best of both mechanical and quartz watches combined or a complicated solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Take your pick.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 04:14 AM   #39
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I own 5 Rolexes and 7 grand Seiko’s. My Instagram is called crown and sake as they are my two favorite brands. Rolex is way more robust. Feels like a tool watch. There’s something special about putting one on. Rolex is the most popular for a reason.
There’s also something incredibly special about putting on a grand seiko. The case, hand and dial finishing are on par with the best out there and blow away Rolex. Each model is unique and brings something new to the table. I feel like I’m wearing a piece of art.
Love them both. Both incredibly different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Locust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 04:14 AM   #40
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsped View Post
That is beautiful dial. Reminds me of the Rolex Sundust colored dial on the RG watches.

How is scratch resistance on the GS?
Not sure how to answer that? It's made out of stainless steel, and stainless steel will scratch.

I will say so far it has picked up way less scratches than my old smooth bezel Datejust. The bracelet design goes a long way with only small sections polished and the raised crystal seems to protect the bezel.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 04:16 AM   #41
FrenchBigCrown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
I own 5 Rolexes and 7 grand Seiko’s. My Instagram is called crown and sake as they are my two favorite brands. Rolex is way more robust. Feels like a tool watch. There’s something special about putting one on. Rolex is the most popular for a reason.
There’s also something incredibly special about putting on a grand seiko. The case, hand and dial finishing are on par with the best out there and blow away Rolex. Each model is unique and brings something new to the table. I feel like I’m wearing a piece of art.
Love them both. Both incredibly different.
This ^
FrenchBigCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 04:35 AM   #42
Sothy
"TRF" Member

I dispute the notion that Grand Seiko gives better values outside of its “base” line up. This was the case in the past, but at present, a GS diver (saturation model) costs are in line with a Sea Dweller’s. A GS 18k watch is more expensive than a Rolex 18k watch. Did you see the price of its platinum dress watches as of late? 18k/platinum GS are at Lange pricing…

I love Seiko, and I’m probably waiting more for a GMT dress model with more than 30m of water resistance more than anything else. Well, GS’s precious metal pricing too.
Sothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 04:49 AM   #43
Sothy
"TRF" Member

Google SBGW258 as an example. Its US pricing is currently $26k (plus taxes I think?). Its movement isn’t finished to the degree of PP, Lange, VC, etc. However, some other models such (say SBGH273 and similar one) are about the price of an Oyster Perpetual ($6300) and are arguably nicer. I understand why the “micro studio” models cost a lot (they are very special), but GS is not always a better deal vs other brands is my only point.
Sothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 05:55 AM   #44
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sothy View Post
I dispute the notion that Grand Seiko gives better values outside of its “base” line up. This was the case in the past, but at present, a GS diver (saturation model) costs are in line with a Sea Dweller’s. A GS 18k watch is more expensive than a Rolex 18k watch. Did you see the price of its platinum dress watches as of late? 18k/platinum GS are at Lange pricing…

I love Seiko, and I’m probably waiting more for a GMT dress model with more than 30m of water resistance more than anything else. Well, GS’s precious metal pricing too.
You makes your choice and pays your money.
Just because you don't like a particular watch, doesn't meant shouldn't exist.
The SBGW258 does nothing for me either, whether it's at $26K or if it were $10K, doesn't mean there isn't an appreciative audience for it.
I dislike the Daytona at $13K, but similarly there'a lot of people that do like it and at 3X that price.

Now the SBGW264 @ $24K does do something for me and I'd very much like one.

Old 22 September 2021, 06:04 AM   #45
HideMyWalletPlease
"TRF" Member

If you are at all concerned with having a status symbol on your wrist, then Rolex all day long.
If you are such a watch nerd that you are way beyond caring what others think, then GS may be your thing.

Another advantage to Rolex is heaven forbid, if it had to sell it, it’s one the best brands for dumping for quick cash. Resellers pay more for them because they are easier to sell.

Some people cannot wrap there heads around paying GS money for something that most people will consider just a Seiko.

I like GS. I never bought one, but imagine I eventually will. When I do, it will probably be on strap and not resemble any Rolex I own.
HideMyWalletPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 06:17 AM   #46
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
I've zeroed in on the GS Spring Drive SBGE253 GMT for my next purchase. The Spring Drive movement is an amazing piece of innovative engineering with an automatic mechanical movement and a quartz crystal timebase that is powered by a tiny generator which generates electric power as the mainspring unwinds. NO BATTERIES! It's incredibly accurate and has a 72 hour power reserve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVoRoK1u3Dg&ab_channel=TeddyBaldassarre

Very nice looking watch. Great reviews, too. People say the finishing on it is fantastic.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 06:18 AM   #47
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
The saying goes that you buy/wear Rolex to impress others and buy/wear GS to impress yourself.
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 06:20 AM   #48
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR

Don’t get me wrong, I own and wear several Rolex and really like them. I’ve always heard on this forum “Don’t ever look at your Rolex with a loupe, it will ruin the watch for you”. GS owners never worry about that. Sorry Rolex can’t , or won’t produce dials, indices, handsets and finish cases on this level.
Old 22 September 2021, 06:21 AM   #49
Tanuki
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Those trying to be somebody wear a Rolex. Those who are somebody wear a Grand Seiko.

You nailed it!!!
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 06:24 AM   #50
LFFL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The saying goes that you buy/wear Rolex to impress others and buy/wear GS to impress yourself.
Don't fully agree with that statement-- Def did not get my sub to impress others, though myself and others are impressed with it
LFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 06:29 AM   #51
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I love GS, but have a hard time with Japanese aesthetics sometimes… I still think I’ll be in there at some point soon though.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 06:34 AM   #52
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
I’m just waiting for Grand Seiko to finally make the watch I want to buy.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 06:38 AM   #53
Tanalasta
"TRF" Member

Rolex v Grand Seiko?

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredbyjae View Post
IMHO GS case work / dial at least on par or arguably superior than Rolex.

Bracelet - all day every day Rolex.

This. And the spring drive movement is relatively unique.

Secondary market (generally) better for Rolex.

My reservation is that I’m undecided about quality of the service centres (especially in Australia. And as they also handle generic Seiko I suspect GS isn’t the norm for them). 9R spring drive movements get sent to Japan.

The finish and pricing of some of the masterpiece line are holy trinity territory.

GS release a lot of models. And limited editions. Unlike Rolex where you choose from select dial options from a small range, navigating watch reference numbers and the website can be overwhelming.

Tanalasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 06:51 AM   #54
daveswordfish
"TRF" Member

Rolex v Grand Seiko?

I’m deliberately not reading others responses until after me provide mine, basically to stay on point with OP.

I’ve owned both. Still have Rolexes, no longer have the two GS that I’ve owned…the Snowflake and a GS LE diver.

GS makes very fine watches. Overall quality is superb in every category. You will find fit and finish to be on par or better than The Crown. Timekeeping, reliability, durability, etc is also excellent. True regardless of movement…auto, quartz, SD…they’re all top tier.

From a historical perspective, Seiko is as impressive a company as they come. Arguably more horological advances than any other.

I have a lot of higher end pieces in my collection, as well as a lot of vintage Seikos. I am a fan on the brand. The ONLY reason I don’t have any GS is the design ascetics. It’s just not my cup of tea. Most GS I see have some type of design attribute that puts me off, or, if they don’t, I find the watch just doesn’t “do it for me.” I have genuinely tried to embrace the brand, but it’s just not for me.

Short answer, GS makes amazing watches, represents solid value compared to competitors, and enjoys an impressive history. If you like the watches, there is no reason to be hesitant.

daveswordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 06:59 AM   #55
dawalsh
"TRF" Member

I used to have SBGA415 Winter I think it’s called. Good watch, feels cheap (I never like titanium) I can’t get good fit from it. Bracelet is not easy to deal with. I let it go without loosing money and fast though. I still think it’s a good watch brand. Might buy SBGK009 if one comes up at good price.
dawalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 07:06 AM   #56
rjd1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Can't pick just 1
Quote:
Those trying to be somebody wear a Rolex. Those who are somebody wear a Grand Seiko.
I like that.

And with all due respect to followers of both, I’ve owned/own both so no leanings one way or the other.
rjd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 07:15 AM   #57
Mcasseba
Banned

Grand Seiko is always classic
Mcasseba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 07:23 AM   #58
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I really like Seikos and have bought several but I always thought they were a good value. I have not embraced prices of Grand Seiko but I’m sure they are worth it.

I decided to treat myself on my birthday and the Arnie is totally fun!!!

Old 22 September 2021, 07:52 AM   #59
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
I really hate the “Us versus Them” argument. I love all of my Rolexes but truly admire the quality of GS. I’m hoping to bundle my next Rolex (Daytona) with the GS GMT blue or green.
Old 22 September 2021, 08:03 AM   #60
swiss_seth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Thoroughly enjoying this back and forth lol