The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 February 2022, 01:00 AM   #61
karleone
"TRF" Member

Congrats and well done! These two references in two-tones are far less difficult to get steel sport models for example so I guess the AD was happy to sell them to you. You have now started a nice relationship with your AD and growing your purchase history. I would definitely have a chat with your AD and see if you can be on list / get the more hard to get pieces you are looking for.
karleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 01:08 AM   #62
harvey
"TRF" Member

Circling back to this thread. Some may think my post was negative but I think it was fair.

Reading the OP’s last two paragraphs. At best, he wants to trade these newly acquired references for one he wants. And at worst, he wants to replicate this experience until he achieves his.

So in short, you’re ‘really crazy’.

’Sometimes we create our own heartbreaks through expectation’.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 01:27 AM   #63
novae500
"TRF" Member

Where I’m at, you couldn’t even get either one of these at all. I would let the SA know your next watch would be a BLRO, BLNR or model you want. These two purchases pushed you further up the line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 01:30 AM   #64
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
These two timepieces are good and not that easy to come by nowadays. If I were you I will keep them and enjoy wearing them and tell your SA that you would love to add some GMT whenever possible.

There are so many negative thinking people around this forum, just ignore their comments.
I’m not sure folks all those that are scratching their head are being negative (sure, some are, but it’s the Internet)—but others like me are more perplexed by this without more. If the OP wanted a GMT, the cost of those two he just bought would have gotten him an unworn BLNR from DavidSW. And there would have been no hassle of sending these watches off or whatever.

I would personally find selling pieces I got from an AD or anywhere a PITA and take time away from work, my family, hobbies, and it’s not without risk. So I’m not sure I see the logic in buying pieces you don’t want just to flip them into what you do want for the same price +/- some minor amount, which all the hassle.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 01:33 AM   #65
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karleone View Post
Congrats and well done! These two references in two-tones are far less difficult to get steel sport models for example so I guess the AD was happy to sell them to you. You have now started a nice relationship with your AD and growing your purchase history. I would definitely have a chat with your AD and see if you can be on list / get the more hard to get pieces you are looking for.
Artificial scarcity allocation worked perfectly here. OP was more than willing to jump through hoops to purchase $31K in watches that he perceived were hard to get. These are readily available with a short wait.

Flip side is... OP has played the game effectively and now is in line for a nice stainless steel sport model. So he will get what he wants very soon. Well done!

This is a win/win!
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 03:15 AM   #66
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
Sadly the salesman played him like a fiddle.

A good AD helps by getting the watch YOU want.
I know, I was being kind.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 03:21 AM   #67
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Quote:

LOL. I suggest leveraging this magical relationship to have the AD get you the watch you really want. You've now spent enough to be considered a pretty invested customer, though they may still ask for you to buy a few other things on the way to the Cookie Monster.

You also have the option of quickly flipping them to someone like DavidSW towards whatever you really want. Good luck!
Eric88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 03:24 AM   #68
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
These two timepieces are good and not that easy to come by nowadays. If I were you I will keep them and enjoy wearing them and tell your SA that you would love to add some GMT whenever possible.

There are so many negative thinking people around this forum, just ignore their comments.
The OP has said these are not the watches he wanted.

So why buy them ?

Because they were available or hoping to a relationship started with an AD.

Not sure what he’s up to, but as said, he doesn’t want these watches.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 03:31 AM   #69
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Smellody View Post
Better buy a lottery ticket too! Well done.
Yes and use the serial numbers of the watches as the lotto ticket numbers! Ha ha!
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 03:42 AM   #70
Megamoss
Banned

Watch: 116500,116610
Huge congrats! I would you keep both and build your collection.
Megamoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 05:06 AM   #71
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncowboy View Post
Ladies and Gents:
I'm new to the forum and really new to Rolex- but just had- what I believe to be a rare opportunity to purchase at retail -two new 2022 Rolex on the same day from the same AD after only making first contact with AD 10 days ago.

I had researched enough online to know I needed to get into a store and establish some type of relationship with the AD. I did just this, taking about 30 min in the store trying on exhibition versions. I followed up with a email-thanking my AD and acknowledging the time it will take to get a timepiece and re-cooping our conversation about kids, work and his background.

A week later, I called and spoke to my AD sales guy and let him know I plan to be patient in the process- and he started whispering on the phone telling me that I client of his was being "non-responsive" and that if he didn't hear back he could offer me a new Sea Dweller 126603 Stainless, yellow gold with black face. He confirmed with his manager and I crossed my fingers and got the call today to come into the store! So 10 days after my first contact I owned my first Rolex! He said it was rare that this happens.

I got home, sent him a thank you note and with a $100 Amazon card-thanking him for his excellent customer service, and within 1 min of him receiving thank you and gift, I received a call telling me that one of the other sales people had a client who was first on the list for another watch, tell them he was out of the country and could not take delivery and that it would go on the sales floor. He intercepted it, thought of me first and called me and texted me pics. I was 5 min away and came right back to the store and bought my SECOND "First Rolex" on the same day. This one is the DateJust 41 Rose Gold and Stainless and Choc Face with Fluted Bezel and Jubilee bracelet.

I know both of these are not necessary most people's first choice and not seeing the increases the GMT-II, Sub and Sky-Dwellers are seeing on secondary market. But amazing to me! I am very obsessed now.

Here is my dilemma- I really want a unworn (or nearly) new series GMT Root Beer/Batman or Sky Dweller Blue or Cookie Monster Sub, so should I just leverage these somehow to get me to these or hold on to these- Jan 2022 NIB and keep in my new "collection". Is their a site to legitimately trade new for new for others who may have two of one that they want to grow their collection?

Or should I just replicate what I have done with my AD at locations where I travel routinely- and work until I get one at Retail? (Could it be months, years?) Please give me some guidance or advise on options to trade or other ideas how to expand my net.

If i were you i would stop for a moment and think about what you really want. You mentioned that you want a SS GMT II, or a TT GMT II or a SS SkyDweller or a SS Sub(?).

But you ended up with a TT Rosegold DJ and a TT SeaDweller…

Do you want a dive watch, a travel watch (GMT) or a dress watch.

And do you want SS or TT? And if TT you want RG or YG?

Or do you want to build a collection where you have all of the above?

It sounds like you’re going down the rabbit hole so if I were you I would just stop and think about what your end-game is and then decide on your next move.

As others have said, if you just want one Rolex, settle on the one you want and go for it.

If you’re building a collection, in my experience sooner or later you’ll want something in full gold or platinum so the sooner you get there the better.

Just my 2 cents.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 05:16 AM   #72
rfs
"TRF" Member

Congratulations!
rfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 06:09 AM   #73
Anestheticsaregood
"TRF" Member

what is a Cookie Monster sub?
Anestheticsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 06:18 AM   #74
Screwly
"TRF" Member

Watch: “Pepsi”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anestheticsaregood View Post
what is a Cookie Monster sub?

That’s what the kids are calling the white gold blue bezel sub with black dial
126613lb
326934 jubilee/blue dial
Screwly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 06:24 AM   #75
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

If you are trying to build a relationship with the SA, buying is only part of the game. Wearing those watches in to visit the SA to talk about your next purchase (the one you want) also comes into play. If you just flip them for the one you want, you won't be getting a premium for either and likely losing on the DJ, so that won't come out in your favor, and you won't have either to wear in to see your AD, so you lose on both sides.

Where to go from here? That's completely up to you, but I'd say you are in a bit of a quagmire.

My rules are: (1) only buy what you really want, and (2) only add when you can afford it.

By those rules, yes, you may wait a while, sometimes a long while, but if you divert from that path, you will likely end up sideways from your goals and/or with your AD.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 06:31 AM   #76
TruthBalance
"TRF" Member

Congrats x 2!
TruthBalance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 06:34 AM   #77
Epanerai12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on the day
if you can responsibly afford both of these references, they are outstanding pieces, especially when you want to add an all steel GMT. Not that i get into such shenanigans, but its a great "Land, Air, Sea" combo and you have Casual Sporty (GMT), elegant sporty? (SD), and dress watch (DJ) covered. Plus steel, YG and RG varieties.

Would be a cool collection. Actually, one of my favorites if you are going to do an "All Rolex" three watch collection. Some may suggest you add a Daytona after the GMT (or at least try to), and to be real, you will probably want to after the GMT. Should do solid gold on oysterflex if adding the Chrono. My $0.02. Not worth much.
Old 1 February 2022, 06:39 AM   #78
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I’m here for the cookies

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 06:56 AM   #79
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Hope you are not believing all the sale hype your SA told you.
I hope when you got home from the AD you took a shower to wash off the slime.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 07:28 AM   #80
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Has anyone noticed the serial is also visible. So much for secret lair.

This thread bums me out. Its taking watches someone actually wants to become gray market inventory.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2022, 07:31 AM   #81
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Double congratulations
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 02:58 PM   #82
suncowboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchesNBlondes View Post
I think out of the two I'm digging the two tone sky dweller the best. The other is ok. Good luck in your quest. What models did you initially ask for on day 1?
Skydweller Oyster in just about any combo and GMT- II Batman, Pepsi. Oh heck. Just any of them.
suncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 03:02 PM   #83
suncowboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch300 View Post
Has anyone noticed the serial is also visible. So much for secret lair.

This thread bums me out. Its taking watches someone actually wants to become gray market inventory.
Don’t be burned- Not selling to grey at all. I would only trade. Not selling or buying grey. In the meantime- which might be forever- I’m enjoying these.

I clearly don’t know what I’m doing with pictures if serial numbers are a problem to accidentally be show. What’s the deal with that?
Old 2 February 2022, 03:09 PM   #84
suncowboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Hope you are not believing all the sale hype your SA told you.
I hope when you got home from the AD you took a shower to wash off the slime.
So the fact there are none for sale in any store is just an illusion? It doesn’t take any salesman to know I should probably buy everyone I like and that is available at retail.
Help me understand your comment. You are saying my SA took
Advantage of me by offering me two watches that were otherwise spoken for?
Old 2 February 2022, 03:17 PM   #85
suncowboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epanerai12 View Post
if you can responsibly afford both of these references, they are outstanding pieces, especially when you want to add an all steel GMT. Not that i get into such shenanigans, but its a great "Land, Air, Sea" combo and you have Casual Sporty (GMT), elegant sporty? (SD), and dress watch (DJ) covered. Plus steel, YG and RG varieties.

Would be a cool collection. Actually, one of my favorites if you are going to do an "All Rolex" three watch collection. Some may suggest you add a Daytona after the GMT (or at least try to), and to be real, you will probably want to after the GMT. Should do solid gold on oysterflex if adding the Chrono. My $0.02. Not worth much.
Thanks you for the great suggestions. I really like the idea of the Land Air Sea. I really appreciate the knowledge and advice. I feel like I’m on a honeymoon right now with the two I am blessed with but want to make a sport out of getting the others. Just a bit obsessed- but know I will have to be patient.
Old 2 February 2022, 03:33 PM   #86
suncowboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I wanted these- didn’t know until I saw them. But I really want more are a few others. I liked the idea of possibly trading with others but this sounds like just not really a thing.

I was not played. I was offered two watches at retail and decided to purchase them- I believe these two purchases may help me get my first choices. It was strategic and purposeful. I find your conjecture on my SA intentions a bit rash.
Old 2 February 2022, 03:35 PM   #87
suncowboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novae500 View Post
Where I’m at, you couldn’t even get either one of these at all. I would let the SA know your next watch would be a BLRO, BLNR or model you want. These two purchases pushed you further up the line

Thanks for the encouragement- I hope this will be the case.
Old 2 February 2022, 03:55 PM   #88
glamorama
"TRF" Member

Congrats! Now tell the SA that it was unexpectedly quick but you are grateful and let him do the magic to get you the steel one you really wanted.

I bet you have been lucky in the crypto market too?
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2022, 04:18 PM   #89
suncowboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamorama View Post
Congrats! Now tell the SA that it was unexpectedly quick but you are grateful and let him do the magic to get you the steel one you really wanted.

I bet you have been lucky in the crypto market too?
That is what I hope for.

No crypto - just hard earned cash. Losing 6% a year- so might as well wear it.
Old 2 February 2022, 05:14 PM   #90
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
You got two of the sexiest TT men dels Rolex makes. The DJ with that chocolate dial is my favorite.
If money is not an issue, I would keep them and ask your ad for the next one you like. At this point I bet you SA will deliver again and again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk