The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 April 2022, 10:13 AM   #1
bmxrider73
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
2 Day Old Watch Doesn't Wind....

After taking home my new SD43 from my AD on Saturday and having it sit in the box in my safe for a day and a half, I took it out to put it on this afternoon and the watch would not manually wind. I could hear and feel a bit of a "crunchy" feeling as i wound it but the second hand never started to move, so I called my AD. He told me to bring it in (which I did) and they said they hadn't seen something like this in a very long time. They were extremely apologetic and are sending it to the local Rolex watch maker who hopefully can fix it and if not, it'll have to go to the Dallas service center. Very disappointing to have this happen to my first Rolex after owning it for only 2 days and not even wearing it.

We'll see what happens, but has this happened to anyone else? Even if it comes back in perfect condition, does the fact that it will have have been serviced affect its value? Anything else I can/should do? Thanks all.
bmxrider73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 11:27 AM   #2
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Are you planning to sell the watch anytime soon?
Old 19 April 2022, 11:32 AM   #3
bmxrider73
"TRF" Member

No, i don't plan to sell. I just would like know that I have a perfectly functional time piece on my wrist (which is what i expected I'd have when i made the purchase). Doesn't seem like a good sign that it malfunctioned after 2 days of sitting in its box never being worn outside of my house...

Looking for peace of mind.
Old 19 April 2022, 11:36 AM   #4
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

I personally would request a refund.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 11:39 AM   #5
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Hmmm, I wouldn’t like that and would consider having the AD trade it for something else I want.
Old 19 April 2022, 11:43 AM   #6
stevestil
"TRF" Member

i wouldn’t be ok with this and would (politely) ask for either another one or a diff watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 11:49 AM   #7
bmxrider73
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthesehills View Post
I personally would request a refund.
I'd rather have the watch that I've been waiting for than the refund....and unfortunately its not like they can just swap it out with another one since there just arent any "sitting in the back".
Old 19 April 2022, 11:58 AM   #8
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxrider73 View Post
I'd rather have the watch that I've been waiting for than the refund....and unfortunately its not like they can just swap it out with another one since there just arent any "sitting in the back".
But they do have them sitting in the back. Politely ask for an exchange
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 11:58 AM   #9
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Having it service will not affect value
Old 19 April 2022, 12:00 PM   #10
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Your AD should do the right thing and get you the next watch on your list, assuming there is another Rolex you want.
Old 19 April 2022, 12:04 PM   #11
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hear ya. Maybe they can get you a new one albeit with a wait. I definitely would not be OK with a brand new Rolex needing service.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 12:13 PM   #12
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, i don't plan to sell. I just would like know that I have a perfectly functional time piece on my wrist (which is what i expected I'd have when i made the purchase). Doesn't seem like a good sign that it malfunctioned after 2 days of sitting in its box never being worn outside of my house...

Looking for peace of mind.
So value shouldn’t matter. I’d rather have a new and recently serviced watch than another new watch that might have the same or different problems (despite how unlikely that scenario is) as long as the watch is serviced by an authorized tech and comes back in new condition.
Old 19 April 2022, 12:14 PM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Given the stock supply, I'd have AD send it in for service.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 01:26 PM   #14
LateLearner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, 16750, AK
Haven’t been in that position with a watch. But have with a vehicle. I’d return it and expect a new replacement.

New, not newly serviced.

LateLearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 02:12 PM   #15
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I hear you, I would be disappointed too, however as others have expressed I would send it back for repair/service, it will be well sorted and come back as brand new as one could get.
Moondoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 02:26 PM   #16
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Warranty work. No biggie.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 02:32 PM   #17
rolexjackson
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, GMT, Daytona
meh keep the broken one I mean it will be right twice a day right??? LOL

Just go back and ask for help they aren't going to leave you hanging.
rolexjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 02:45 PM   #18
Carguy87
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: JC 126660
Sorry about your luck but I’d give them a chance to make it right.
Carguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 03:00 PM   #19
OrangeSport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Just out of interest, did they set and wind it when you took it?
Old 19 April 2022, 03:29 PM   #20
bmxrider73
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSport View Post
Just out of interest, did they set and wind it when you took it?
Yep, set it and wound it and sized it for me and taught me how to set it myself as well.
Old 19 April 2022, 03:34 PM   #21
KathleenL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 279171-0001
Did the AD FULLY wind the watch (40 clockwise turns of the crown) before you left the store with it? I think many ADs will only partially wind a new watch because the proud new watch owner will be wearing it which will automatically continue to wind it. But if it was only partially wound and then you left it sitting in the box for two days, you should have wound it before wearing it today.
KathleenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 03:38 PM   #22
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
sometimes you need to shake the watch a bit to make the second hand start moving.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 03:45 PM   #23
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
But they do have them sitting in the back. Politely ask for an exchange
I would be doing this option ☝️☝️If they haven’t got one in stock I’m sure they’d get one pretty quick
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 05:18 PM   #24
Bigmozza
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t be happy with my 2 day old watch needing a repair that hasn’t even been worn. New replacement watch or offer you something else you were interested in, Or they should offer you a refund.
Bigmozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 05:30 PM   #25
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
After taking home my new SD43 from my AD on Saturday and having it sit in the box in my safe for a day and a half, I took it out to put it on this afternoon and the watch would not manually wind. I could hear and feel a bit of a "crunchy" feeling as i wound it but the second hand never started to move, so I called my AD. He told me to bring it in (which I did) and they said they hadn't seen something like this in a very long time. They were extremely apologetic and are sending it to the local Rolex watch maker who hopefully can fix it and if not, it'll have to go to the Dallas service center. Very disappointing to have this happen to my first Rolex after owning it for only 2 days and not even wearing it.

We'll see what happens, but has this happened to anyone else? Even if it comes back in perfect condition, does the fact that it will have have been serviced affect its value? Anything else I can/should do? Thanks all.
Well I would have thought the watch was ticking when you left the AD and would expect that you checked that.And after putting in the safe for like you state for one and a half days the watch had stopped.Now depending on how you was winding the watch as they need at least 40 full crown turns clockwise only, as they only wind in the forward wind.And even after a wind they might need a gentle swirl to start,myself in over 50 years of being around Rolex watches have never heard of any problem like you have described with any Rolex new watch.And no if they do have to service your watch it will not devalue it in any way hope its sorted by your AD as quickly as possible.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 06:07 PM   #26
amanbra
"TRF" Member

OP my yellow OP developed a winding issue in the first month of ownership. After getting it back from RSC it's been perfect for over a year now. I thoroughly enjoy the watch, just wait for them to get it right for you.

This isn't the AD's fault and like you say they might not see another one for awhile.
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 06:12 PM   #27
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I've had two Rolex watches die after 2 and 3 years but not days. These are mass produced goods. QC doesn't catch everything. If the mainspring has unhooked or broken, or gears have failed to engage it will be easy to repair. You won't get a service on a brand new watch unless they end up dismantling everything. Disappointing, irritating, but not the end of the world.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 06:17 PM   #28
TomLou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx 1807 President
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrylee View Post
Having it service will not affect value
Would you keep a brand new Mercedes’ that won’t start ?
I don’t worry about the value being affected.
To REPAIR (not service) a brand new watch is a red flag to me.
Rolex is telling us that the reason there are shortages in fulfilling retail orders
is the time and effort to assemble a Rolex watch, the perfect attention to details
as well as the incredible quality control that goes to their watches…All time consuming
….But in this watch unfortunately … they have failed.
TomLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 06:56 PM   #29
gnardex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LN - 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLou View Post
Would you keep a brand new Mercedes’ that won’t start ?
I don’t worry about the value being affected.
To REPAIR (not service) a brand new watch is a red flag to me.
Rolex is telling us that the reason there are shortages in fulfilling retail orders
is the time and effort to assemble a Rolex watch, the perfect attention to details
as well as the incredible quality control that goes to their watches…All time consuming
….But in this watch unfortunately … they have failed.
I agree they have failed but... it happens, all we are humans and it happens.
The comparison with the car is misleading. At the Rolex centers they are very serious, and if things happens to be serious, they simply replace the movement that means to change with a new watch. This would not happen with a car, which is a by far more complex system than a watch.
I did not have an experience like that, but I know another guy that had a similar experience with a brand new watch. And after few weeks (yes, unfortunately they take some time) they gave back the watch. Was it the same or another brand new? Undistinguishable.
It is not as a repaired car, it is like a new watch, it does not affect in any case the value.

the other two alternatives, that I am sure are both possible, are unsatisfactory in my opinion:
a) money back? A what you do with the money back, you cannot buy in "real time" another one in another store.
b) another brand new and different from your? Probably it will take much more time than the time it takes to go to the service center, and the result would be the same.

I know it is frustrating and I perfectly understand your disappontment. But I think that I would send it to the service center.

good luck!
g
gnardex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2022, 07:46 PM   #30
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
2 Day Old Watch Doesn't Wind....

Quote:

I’ve had something similar happen to me in 2020. I picked up my Blue SkyD and showered with it, then i saw water inside the watch. Took it to RSC and they took over a month to fix it.

I would trust RSC to do the right thing, these are good watches, don’t be distracted by folks that say “i wouldn’t want it anymore”, they probably haven’t been in the same situation. You’ll get back a brand new watch.

One thing though, I would send it to RSC and not to the AD’s watch guy.

Also, i used my unfortunate situation to gently nudge my AD for another watch to counter my disappointment and they gave me a BLRO.

So make the most of it!

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote