The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 August 2022, 07:04 PM   #1
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Road to Platinum Day Date

Dear Forum Members,

I was wondering if someone could please help.

I own a two tone Datejust 41mm and a Rose Gold Olive Day Date. (Picture attached). The datejust was purchased from an AD I am no longer in contact with, the olive was purchased on the grey market.

The only Rolex of interest to me now is the Platinum Day Date, I am working towards an AP and Patek which are direct through their boutiques so no AD interaction.

I recently visited a Rolex AD and they explained the new platinum day date is extremely sought after, I was honest and explained it is the only real piece I am interested in. The agent then encouraged me to purchase one datejust (I explained my preference is Datejust/Day Date) and then there may be a chance of a Platinum model.

I could of course "play the game", purchase multiple items from them and sell them on the grey market but I am not too keen to do this. Would you recommend to just purchase on the grey market when the model becomes more readily available. I am in no particular rush.

Could any owners share their experience/journey of obtaining the platinum at retail?

Kind regards and thank you!
Ash
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed-3.jpg (162.9 KB, 1294 views)
Ashj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 07:54 PM   #2
S1mplee
"TRF" Member

I think you could maybe get it from AD, from what my dealer told me is that previously not many would drop that much coin on a watch. Now days I am unsure but market seems to be cooling so they should be in windows again. Fwiw I love my platinum daydate and it could truly be a one and only one watch. I have baguettes on mine, and I would take this over the RG olive any day if I had to choose only one day date. (I own one in every color metal minus WG)
S1mplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 08:03 PM   #3
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1mplee View Post
I think you could maybe get it from AD, from what my dealer told me is that previously not many would drop that much coin on a watch. Now days I am unsure but market seems to be cooling so they should be in windows again. Fwiw I love my platinum daydate and it could truly be a one and only one watch. I have baguettes on mine, and I would take this over the RG olive any day if I had to choose only one day date. (I own one in every color metal minus WG)
Many thanks for your input - I may just hold off until next year when things cool. Great to hear you are enjoying the platinum, it looks very special indeed. I was on the verge last week of purchasing a lovely Breguet pre-owned, but with the economic outlook I have decided to keep purchases to the minimum/grail pieces only.
Old 11 August 2022, 08:30 PM   #4
S1mplee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashj52 View Post
Many thanks for your input - I may just hold off until next year when things cool. Great to hear you are enjoying the platinum, it looks very special indeed. I was on the verge last week of purchasing a lovely Breguet pre-owned, but with the economic outlook I have decided to keep purchases to the minimum/grail pieces only.
Make sure you get it with the glacier blue dial! In 2021 I saw a platinum DD sitting in the case for sale multiple times at the 5th ave boutique in nyc. I know of other dealers whom had them in the back, and was offered it too verbally.

When you go to patek, those strap watches can be your dressy watch if you didn’t think the DD fits the occasion. That is what I do, I hardly even wear my RG DD or YG.
S1mplee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 08:57 PM   #5
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1mplee View Post
Make sure you get it with the glacier blue dial! In 2021 I saw a platinum DD sitting in the case for sale multiple times at the 5th ave boutique in nyc. I know of other dealers whom had them in the back, and was offered it too verbally.

When you go to patek, those strap watches can be your dressy watch if you didn’t think the DD fits the occasion. That is what I do, I hardly even wear my RG DD or YG.

Thats great advice thank you! The dealer I spoke to in London here explained for the platinum I would have "no chance" without purchase history, but as all markets cool I agree with you sentiment may change.

I am waiting for a 5205r, which is somewhat more under the radar (important in London I'm afraid with all the robberies), and also a Royal Oak as my sports watch. Thanks again!
Old 11 August 2022, 10:24 PM   #6
MONTANTK
"TRF" Member

Not sure where you are located but I’ve been to an AD in Pittsburgh that had two different platinum day dates sitting in the case last year. One was baguettes and the other was Roman numerals. If you’re in a large market it might be a little tougher but still attainable. Smaller markets might be a little easier
MONTANTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2022, 10:39 PM   #7
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONTANTK View Post
Not sure where you are located but I’ve been to an AD in Pittsburgh that had two different platinum day dates sitting in the case last year. One was baguettes and the other was Roman numerals. If you’re in a large market it might be a little tougher but still attainable. Smaller markets might be a little easier
Thanks - Great to know that its not as difficult to obtain as the AD was suggesting. I loved the roman numerals with the quadrant dial but I see it has been discontinued! Fluted bezel seems nice too.
Old 11 August 2022, 10:46 PM   #8
dannyp
Banned

I don't want to generalize too much, but I think London (vs. major US cities, for example) has a very high muslim population. I believe that devout Muslims are prohibited from wearing gold (read that here, I was not aware), so if you put those together, you see higher demand for platinum watches perhaps.

At least I seem to recall that being an explanation for higher platinum demand in the Middle East.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 12:18 AM   #9
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I don't want to generalize too much, but I think London (vs. major US cities, for example) has a very high muslim population. I believe that devout Muslims are prohibited from wearing gold (read that here, I was not aware), so if you put those together, you see higher demand for platinum watches perhaps.

At least I seem to recall that being an explanation for higher platinum demand in the Middle East.

Yes you are correct, I am Muslim and most Muslims will not wear gold so platinum is the alternative.

I love the yellow gold options too, but they are too "loud" for me so to speak. The rose gold blends into my skin nicely, but yellow I feel may stand out a bit too much.

What are peoples experience with the platinum itself? Are they enjoying the metal ( I am aware it is heavy) and the look of the watch? Only asking as I have never worn platinum before. Thanks!
Old 12 August 2022, 12:23 AM   #10
jsobral
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5164R-5167R-5107R
Quote:
Dear Forum Members,

I was wondering if someone could please help.

I own a two tone Datejust 41mm and a Rose Gold Olive Day Date. (Picture attached). The datejust was purchased from an AD I am no longer in contact with, the olive was purchased on the grey market.

The only Rolex of interest to me now is the Platinum Day Date, I am working towards an AP and Patek which are direct through their boutiques so no AD interaction.

I recently visited a Rolex AD and they explained the new platinum day date is extremely sought after, I was honest and explained it is the only real piece I am interested in. The agent then encouraged me to purchase one datejust (I explained my preference is Datejust/Day Date) and then there may be a chance of a Platinum model.

I could of course "play the game", purchase multiple items from them and sell them on the grey market but I am not too keen to do this. Would you recommend to just purchase on the grey market when the model becomes more readily available. I am in no particular rush.

Could any owners share their experience/journey of obtaining the platinum at retail?

Kind regards and thank you!
Ash
I bought that exact datejust 41 this year. What a bang for the buck!

Hope you get your day-date soon!
jsobral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 01:08 AM   #11
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsobral View Post
I bought that exact datejust 41 this year. What a bang for the buck!

Hope you get your day-date soon!
Congrats on your datejust! (good choice )

I have had mine for 2.5 years now - wear it every day and it literally still looks brand new (quite surprised as to how hard wearing Rolex can be). What's next on your wish list?
Old 12 August 2022, 01:39 AM   #12
cmanc
"TRF" Member

Like others I've seen a couple of platinum DD in cases, last time was Feb in Oahu, HI, tried it on and my wife really liked it but TBH it didn't resonate with me so passed. Anyway since you are in London you may want to try another UK city, I know WoS and Goldsmiths own many of the ADs in UK but you may have better luck outside London at an independent - good luck
cmanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 03:14 AM   #13
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanc View Post
Like others I've seen a couple of platinum DD in cases, last time was Feb in Oahu, HI, tried it on and my wife really liked it but TBH it didn't resonate with me so passed. Anyway since you are in London you may want to try another UK city, I know WoS and Goldsmiths own many of the ADs in UK but you may have better luck outside London at an independent - good luck
Thats very helpful thank you!
Old 12 August 2022, 03:18 AM   #14
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

grey prices are down significantly so there's no point in buying at msrp to play the game and trying to make your money back by flipping. i don't exactly know the latest prices for plat day dates because i don't follow the prices too much and they seem to be falling daily but i would definitely look and see how much the premiums currently are. if they're not too bad i would always rather go grey than play the annoying game with ADs
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 03:30 AM   #15
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
The new platinum DD with the fluted bezel is not going to be sittting around, at least not anytime soon. In the current enthusiast market anything new from Rolex becomes the goto instagram reference. Because new Rolex means hard to get, and If I get one then I must be special. I doubt that you will get one without buying history because the watch will be priced over MSRP on the secondary market when it starts to arrive. Second the world is definitely not out of cash yet, so those with the money will buy this watch and I am absolutely sure Rolex will not over produce it. My.02.
Old 12 August 2022, 03:31 AM   #16
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
grey prices are down significantly so there's no point in buying at msrp to play the game and trying to make your money back by flipping. i don't exactly know the latest prices for plat day dates because i don't follow the prices too much and they seem to be falling daily but i would definitely look and see how much the premiums currently are. if they're not too bad i would always rather go grey than play the annoying game with ADs
Yes that's what I was thinking too - AD price I think of the platinum in the UK is £47,000 ( if I remember correctly). I don't like the hassle of flipping/selling on watches I don't really like, and yes I would probably lose money on them too.

Thanks for your input!
Old 12 August 2022, 04:22 AM   #17
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon10

Quote:

Quickest about turn yet on a thread

If you’re buying a DD Platinum at list from an AD (£47,350 here in the Uk) what do you care about the market and what it does, or doesn’t? With supply vs. demand for that new piece it’s not going to anything less than a great buy if you’re invested in really wanting one.
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 04:35 AM   #18
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I would pay a visit to as many local ADs as possible, wearing the RG DD. I would build a story as to why I'd like the PT DD, the celebration of a milestone perhaps, a 50th birthday coming, whatever. I would not buy anything else to improve my chances. If that doesn't work, I'd wait for grey prices to come further down.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 05:02 AM   #19
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post

Quickest about turn yet on a thread

If you’re buying a DD Platinum at list from an AD (£47,350 here in the Uk) what do you care about the market and what it does, or doesn’t? With supply vs. demand for that new piece it’s not going to anything less than a great buy if you’re invested in really wanting one.
You misunderstood - will wait till things potentially cool off and purchase at retail without necessarily requiring other purchases beforehand
Old 12 August 2022, 05:03 AM   #20
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
I would pay a visit to as many local ADs as possible, wearing the RG DD. I would build a story as to why I'd like the PT DD, the celebration of a milestone perhaps, a 50th birthday coming, whatever. I would not buy anything else to improve my chances. If that doesn't work, I'd wait for grey prices to come further down.
Yes that’s great advice many thanks! I’ve only been to one so far so will try others too.
Old 12 August 2022, 05:21 AM   #21
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I would call some AD's the Plat DD is not as in demand as AD's these days may want you to believe and on the secondary market, not as crazy over msrp as others from a percentage standpoint. I would keep calling some and see what gray prices do, I would not buy watches you do not want for this. Personally, I would not buy watches you do not want for any one watch but especially this one.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 05:31 AM   #22
SpectralDodo49
Banned

I owned a platinum Daytona for a few years. I am thin and older and never felt the watch was too heavy. In fact, after putting it on, I quickly forgot it was on my wrist.

The other thing, which may be obvious, is that platinum does scratch, but not nearly as much as gold.

Good luck.
SpectralDodo49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 05:43 AM   #23
RoRoRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40
Day date platinum fluted bezel at list is £50850. In case anyone was wondering.
RoRoRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 07:00 AM   #24
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Bob & Bing could probably get you one.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 07:16 AM   #25
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Yes you are correct, I am Muslim and most Muslims will not wear gold so platinum is the alternative.

I love the yellow gold options too, but they are too "loud" for me so to speak. The rose gold blends into my skin nicely, but yellow I feel may stand out a bit too much.

What are peoples experience with the platinum itself? Are they enjoying the metal ( I am aware it is heavy) and the look of the watch? Only asking as I have never worn platinum before. Thanks!
It is heavy in a sense, but after a day or two on the wrist you will not even know it's there.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 08:30 AM   #26
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Road to Platinum Day Date

I picked up mine late 2021 before the bezel update. It wasn't a hot model but here down under we don't get a tonne of these watches so it's allocated just purely due to scarcity. I didn't have a huge profile before i got allocated though. There aren't a tonne of people who can buy this, esp because it's not a watch trading at multiples of msrp.

My director saw the watch and in March 22 after the updated release he was interested at reached out to my same AD. The AD advised that because of the update there were a few people on the list now.

Now turn the clock forward to today with the market going back down and the speculators leaving I'd guess that you will be able to get this directly from an AD without much trouble. Only a guess though.

For the watch itself, it's damn heavy, it's a good 50 grams more than my 116505. I still haven't gotten use to the weight but then again I wear it very sparingly so I don't give myself the change to get use to it.

I have a motif, blue seconds smooth bezel, from what I can tell this combo is reasonable rare =)

amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 08:47 AM   #27
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Quote:
Yes that’s great advice many thanks! I’ve only been to one so far so will try others too.
Unless, of course, religious devotion is part of the "story" behind why it's so important to procure a platinum DD (bolding mine)
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 08:56 AM   #28
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
I would call some AD's the Plat DD is not as in demand as AD's these days may want you to believe and on the secondary market, not as crazy over msrp as others from a percentage standpoint. I would keep calling some and see what gray prices do, I would not buy watches you do not want for this. Personally, I would not buy watches you do not want for any one watch but especially this one.
That is interesting regarding the % over MRSP, and yes I really do not want to start buying things I don't want etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralDodo49 View Post
I owned a platinum Daytona for a few years. I am thin and older and never felt the watch was too heavy. In fact, after putting it on, I quickly forgot it was on my wrist.

The other thing, which may be obvious, is that platinum does scratch, but not nearly as much as gold.

Good luck.
My rose gold day date scratches much more than I would have expected despite taking quite good care of it. Great to hear the platinum holds up better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoRoRo View Post
Day date platinum fluted bezel at list is £50850. In case anyone was wondering.
The AD I visited quoted a figure in the late 40's but I had a feeling she had not double checked the price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
It is heavy in a sense, but after a day or two on the wrist you will not even know it's there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanbra View Post
I picked up mine late 2021 before the bezel update. It wasn't a hot model but here down under we don't get a tonne of these watches so it's allocated just purely due to scarcity. I didn't have a huge profile before i got allocated though. There aren't a tonne of people who can buy this, esp because it's not a watch trading at multiples of msrp.

My director saw the watch and in March 22 after the updated release he was interested at reached out to my same AD. The AD advised that because of the update there were a few people on the list now.

Now turn the clock forward to today with the market going back down and the speculators leaving I'd guess that you will be able to get this directly from an AD without much trouble. Only a guess though.

For the watch itself, it's damn heavy, it's a good 50 grams more than my 116505. I still haven't gotten use to the weight but then again I wear it very sparingly so I don't give myself the change to get use to it.

I have a motif, blue seconds smooth bezel, from what I can tell this combo is reasonable rare =)

Thanks for this detailed reply - your model looks fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Unless, of course, religious devotion is part of the "story" behind why it's so important to procure a platinum DD (bolding mine)
Old 12 August 2022, 10:08 AM   #29
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

I'm hoping to get one of these for my 50th birthday, but I've got about 3.5 years to save and dream for it. I've got a SS Daytona and a TT Sea Dweller purchased from my very nice local AD and I have no doubt they can get me the big boy watch when I ask for it. Maybe the market will be such that discounting will be a thing again. Who knows?
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2022, 11:50 AM   #30
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

I like them so much I bought 2 before smooth bezel got discontinued.
Slate and baguette glacier
Heavy but ok if fit properly
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote