The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 September 2022, 06:19 AM   #91
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardC View Post
It starts taking the fun out of the collecting experience. Eventually it will just differentiate the brand further that only elite people can afford - or willing to spend - such an amount of a watch. AP is definitely capitalizing their profit as much as possible.
I think that’s a feature, not a bug.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2022, 07:55 AM   #92
noobs
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
The problem is people see it as an introductory watch, when in reality its not.
I've been told by 3 different SAs I had to get a 11.59 (preferably a chrono) before being eligible for anything else, "for the 360 experience".
noobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2022, 08:17 AM   #93
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
I think that’s a feature, not a bug.

I thought that was the defining feature of RM...?
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2022, 09:44 AM   #94
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobs View Post
I've been told by 3 different SAs I had to get a 11.59 (preferably a chrono) before being eligible for anything else, "for the 360 experience".
Right. That doesn't make it entry level though either. While they have been harder to get, they're still easier than a RO, and for the sake of building history - well, there's only so much they can offer.
Old 8 September 2022, 01:24 AM   #95
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Wow....anyone see that the Ti QP went to $106K? The steel QP RO did as well. I was not expecting that!
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2022, 01:30 AM   #96
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
Wow....anyone see that the Ti QP went to $106K? The steel QP RO did as well. I was not expecting that!
crying inside... Even if they offered it, the price is too much for me
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2022, 01:36 AM   #97
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
crying inside... Even if they offered it, the price is too much for me
Yeah...not sure how I feel. I wasn't about to get one allocated and it is likely a a couple watches away anyhow....the Ti is my No. 1 end game watch and was hoping for on in the next 5 or so years....maybe this will make it easier to get
Old 8 September 2022, 03:44 AM   #98
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Yeah, this one hurts a lot... That's about ~$22,000 (or 20%) increase... But I'm guessing the demand for them is so hot that it probably isn't going to hurt. Likely weed out some flippers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2022, 04:40 AM   #99
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
Yeah, this one hurts a lot... That's about ~$22,000 (or 20%) increase... But I'm guessing the demand for them is so hot that it probably isn't going to hurt. Likely weed out some flippers.
I think it is going to increase the demand, if it is even possible, for the double balance. Not left with many other choices below 10mm thick in 41mm....which is one of the great things about the feel of the QP on the wrist.
Old 8 September 2022, 05:15 AM   #100
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post

Wow - how much was it before? Something in the high $80's?
Old 8 September 2022, 06:41 AM   #101
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
Wow - how much was it before? Something in the high $80's?
Well....my math would say $84K.
Old 8 September 2022, 06:45 AM   #102
wiswrist
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

The QP price increase is a bit strange.

When the Ti came out last Sept. it was $80,000. Then it went up to $84,800 on 1/1/22. Then to $89,100 on 9/1/22. So the now $106,000 (6 days after the 9/1 increase) is odd to me.
Old 8 September 2022, 07:11 AM   #103
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
When I was looking at the Steel QP recently it was £71,600 but it’s now £91,100

Out of my league now and if there’s another increase for Jan ‘22 that’s even more the case. Do we know why they have sky rocketed?

Real shame as I was really looking forward to adding an AP Perpetual Calendar to my collection in the next year but can’t see it now.

However I could say the same for my grail piece (15407ST) that’s gone up £11,000 or so in the last year and I think if goes above £70k it’s another one I’m just not going to be able to justify/get either.

First world issues of course!
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2022, 08:44 AM   #104
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
When I was looking at the Steel QP recently it was £71,600 but it’s now £91,100

Out of my league now and if there’s another increase for Jan ‘22 that’s even more the case. Do we know why they have sky rocketed?

Real shame as I was really looking forward to adding an AP Perpetual Calendar to my collection in the next year but can’t see it now.

However I could say the same for my grail piece (15407ST) that’s gone up £11,000 or so in the last year and I think if goes above £70k it’s another one I’m just not going to be able to justify/get either.

First world issues of course!
Respectfully AP is not looking for clients like you, one's on a budget, even if your budget seems high to you.

AP does not want clients who cannot handle a 10% price increase. They want wealthy clients, and those that can buy more than just one watch. Rolex sells to the masses, AP does not want that
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2022, 08:48 AM   #105
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Wow that is one hell of an increase. I don't even know if i would ever qualify for the steel or ti QP but they were both grails. Tough pill to swallow at over 100k.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2022, 10:14 AM   #106
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Where are you guys seeing the prices? I'm loading up the AP site no prices listed even on the actual watch page and this goes for the HK & UK site
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2022, 11:02 AM   #107
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthagainsttt View Post
Where are you guys seeing the prices? I'm loading up the AP site no prices listed even on the actual watch page and this goes for the HK & UK site

For the US it's listed

Unfortunately I am in the same boat... by the time I MAY be eligible to even be considered (i.e. in a few years), given the twice-yearly increases of 5% percent or more, the QP is going to run around $150k MSRP....
Old 8 September 2022, 11:30 AM   #108
psm11
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
For the US it's listed

Unfortunately I am in the same boat... by the time I MAY be eligible to even be considered (i.e. in a few years), given the twice-yearly increases of 5% percent or more, the QP is going to run around $150k MSRP....
Do we think, given the current market, the increases will continue as frequently as they have been? Many CODEs and Offshore's are now cheaper on the grey market than at retail with the increases.
psm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2022, 05:09 PM   #109
jts278
"TRF" Member

Yeah the QP in steel and ti just skyrocketed. When I got mine in May, it was only HKD 658k and now it is on the website for HKD 823k. That's a 25% increase!!

The RO QP is amazing especially with the new dial. Good luck to those who still want it!
jts278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2022, 10:27 PM   #110
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
Respectfully AP is not looking for clients like you, one's on a budget, even if your budget seems high to you.

AP does not want clients who cannot handle a 10% price increase. They want wealthy clients, and those that can buy more than just one watch. Rolex sells to the masses, AP does not want that

Ah yes, the classic "respectfully" followed by an out and out insult.

I would respectfully (see what I did there.......) suggest that my own valued contacts at AP House here in the UK do not share the view that you purport to offer on behalf of AP.

Also you might want to read my post again and its proper context.
Old 8 September 2022, 10:31 PM   #111
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psm11 View Post
Do we think, given the current market, the increases will continue as frequently as they have been? Many CODEs and Offshore's are now cheaper on the grey market than at retail with the increases.
And they still don't sell.
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2022, 10:35 PM   #112
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post

Who don't want wealthy clients
But I think they want genuine and wealthy and the latter is the hard one.
It weren't so long ago they raise prices on gold pieces only to reduce them.
Right now I think AP are getting a little too big for their boots. Taking everything in house and unjustifiable increases in product

Apologies to GW44 if this causes any offence to AP HOUSE LONDON
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2022, 11:16 PM   #113
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
And they still don't sell.

Welcome back to 2017. I bought my brand new gold jumbo for about 35% off retail on the gray market. Whether Rolex, AP, or Patek, this was the norm. A few desirable hot models (15202ST, Daytonas, enamel dial world timers, etc) trading above retail, and almost everything else available at a discount.

As the hype/crypto cools, we may be headed all the way back to the “good old days.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 12:20 AM   #114
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW44 View Post
I would respectfully (see what I did there.......) suggest that my own valued contacts at AP House here in the UK do not share the view that you purport to offer on behalf of AP.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 12:23 AM   #115
GW44
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
Who don't want wealthy clients
But I think they want genuine and wealthy and the latter is the hard one.
It weren't so long ago they raise prices on gold pieces only to reduce them.
Right now I think AP are getting a little too big for their boots. Taking everything in house and unjustifiable increases in product

Apologies to GW44 if this causes any offence to AP HOUSE LONDON

Hey, you're welcome to have your own opinion and you articulate it well unlike the person I was replying to earlier.

However, and to be fair the fluctuations in market prices for precious metals affects all brands, not just AP, and it's always been that way in the watch market.

And for sake of balance I think the in-house (as opposed to via AD's) route works very well for the AP brand and for most of their customers - not all, but most.
Old 9 September 2022, 12:24 AM   #116
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswrist View Post
The QP price increase is a bit strange.

When the Ti came out last Sept. it was $80,000. Then it went up to $84,800 on 1/1/22. Then to $89,100 on 9/1/22. So the now $106,000 (6 days after the 9/1 increase) is odd to me.

Yeah that’s a tough one to understand. Oh well only AP will know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
thecrownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 12:26 AM   #117
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
...As the hype/crypto cools, we may be headed all the way back to the “good old days.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AP points of sale have changed. No longer are there ADs outside of AP's control that move product at 'cost' or 'loss' out the back door. Those days are long gone. Thus the only place greys will be able to source product from is retail customers. I don't ever see prices below retail available again, I just don't see a supply mechanism to facilitate that, regardless of the state of any economic factors.

I too feel that some of the increases are somewhat gouging. Regular inflationary/currency variation increases are somewhat palatable, but indeed the latest QP increase is a bit grabby, especially as there's a new QP movement coming and these existing models' movements will be legacy soon...

p.s.

Play nicely chaps :)
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 12:28 AM   #118
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psm11 View Post
So like the good old times that most everyone said they were missing?

It will be interesting to see if AP will continue twice annual significant increases indefinitely - sooner or later they'll find the point where demand and supply equilibrate. Interestingly, this may be at a significantly lower demand than they see today, once the flipping/value-retention focussed customer segment gets eliminated.

Some thinking to do for the new chairman and CEO. I hope for the best, but sadly wouldn't be surprised if they push things too far.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 12:45 AM   #119
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
So like the good old times that most everyone said they were missing?

It will be interesting to see if AP will continue twice annual significant increases indefinitely - sooner or later they'll find the point where demand and supply equilibrate. Interestingly, this may be at a significantly lower demand than they see today, once the flipping/value-retention focussed customer segment gets eliminated.

Some thinking to do for the new chairman and CEO. I hope for the best, but sadly wouldn't be surprised if they push things too far.
As always any business is dynamic and evolving, however when a company has to expend huge sums of money on infrastructure to facilitate an increase in production the thinking behind that had better be very very sound or very very long term. As a privately owned company I imagine that AP thinks it's got the first part covered but regardless it's sitting pretty with a solid 50 year plan as a back up.

My biggest criticism of AP is the chase for new and younger client base. That's fine, indeed to be applauded, BUT, not at the expense of the existing 'older' and 'loyal' base that it has built over decades. I know too many existing customers that have been sidelined this year at the expense of new customers - and we only have to look at chrono24 to see how that has worked out.

I had a chat the other day with AP HQ and I expressed my concerns, they are well aware. I've no idea what they can do about it, but I have the general impression that it's a FUBAR and not what they wanted.

I like AP products, in fact I love them, maybe I'm brainwashed though - Stockholm syndrome - and I also have really enjoyed AP's customer interaction, but then they go and do stupid things to mess things up, in what is supposed to be a special year. Go figure!
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 12:53 AM   #120
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
As always any business is dynamic and evolving, however when a company has to expend huge sums of money on infrastructure to facilitate an increase in production the thinking behind that had better be very very sound or very very long term. As a privately owned company I imagine that AP thinks it's got the first part covered but regardless it's sitting pretty with a solid 50 year plan as a back up.

My biggest criticism of AP is the chase for new and younger client base. That's fine, indeed to be applauded, BUT, not at the expense of the existing 'older' and 'loyal' base that it has built over decades. I know too many existing customers that have been sidelined this year at the expense of new customers - and we only have to look at chrono24 to see how that has worked out.

I had a chat the other day with AP HQ and I expressed my concerns, they are well aware. I've no idea what they can do about it, but I have the general impression that it's a FUBAR and not what they wanted.

I like AP products, in fact I love them, maybe I'm brainwashed though - Stockholm syndrome - and I also have really enjoyed AP's customer interaction, but then they go and do stupid things to mess things up, in what is supposed to be a special year. Go figure!

What are you basing off of in regards to older clients being sidelined? Are you saying that people who have owned several RO purchased at boutiques are no longer preferred to receive say a 50th RO?

And new customers can walk in and get a RO easily?

Personally I’m not sure that’s the case - if it is, it’s a real issue. Even as a new customer to AP (took five years to a boutique to even open the door for me - I applaud the boutique over AD strategy for helping get me into the customer date - I still feel that previous loyal clients should be prioritized.

Also I don’t believe that new customers = flippers. In fact I would argue that people who have already own one or two RO might be more inclined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
thecrownprince is offline   Reply With Quote