The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 September 2022, 10:49 AM   #61
Trailboss516
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's complicated
Doesn't sound like you have OCD. You're just particular about the details of your watch (rightly so), but OCD is not what you're describing.
Trailboss516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 12:50 PM   #62
AD337
"TRF" Member

I don’t think they’d be able to tell me I bent the bracelet I mist certainly didn’t and it never was in the case at AD to be mishandled .. It just came this way.. It could basically pass as unworn as far as the condition is concerned… So they’d really be reaching to try and pin this on me !!

If they would just replace that section—- and the crown—— then everyone would be very happy.. I wish it were that easy—- I’m wondering if I can make this much easier on myself by going to RSC in person? Anyone got any input on that idea? DALLAS RSC is a 5 1/2 hrs drive for me
AD337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 12:53 PM   #63
AbeFroman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD337 View Post
I don’t think they’d be able to tell me I bent the bracelet I mist certainly didn’t and it never was in the case at AD to be mishandled .. It just came this way.. It could basically pass as unworn as far as the condition is concerned… So they’d really be reaching to try and pin this on me !!

If they would just replace that section—- and the crown—— then everyone would be very happy.. I wish it were that easy—- I’m wondering if I can make this much easier on myself by going to RSC in person? Anyone got any input on that idea? DALLAS RSC is a 5 1/2 hrs drive for me
Chat with your AD first about the issues and go from there.

5 1/2 hour drive is a big commitment. I would save this as a last resort.
AbeFroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 02:00 PM   #64
Edb5020
"TRF" Member

I would want that watch replaced. Period. $70K for sloppy workmanship on the crown and clearly a pin issue (or stretch at the top links of that bracelet) is unacceptable.

Rolex really isn’t perfection whatsoever. Hand alignment is off on 50% of the pieces I see. On Day Dates in particular, the day indicator always has more white day disk showing on one side than the other (indicating it’s not centered) and also the dates on my Rolexes have more white showing at the top or bottom. Not high horology, albeit beautiful designs and wonderful polishing, in my opinion.
Edb5020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 02:29 PM   #65
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I’m far from OCD but I would pretty much expect perfection from the top of the line platinum DD. The crown isn’t acceptable.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 06:34 PM   #66
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeFroman View Post
I doubt OP will accept a repaired bracelet section nor would I on a new watch. Not all PM work is done in house, some of it has to be sent to Geneva.

When they damaged my brand new 126655's mid-case during the OF swap, they had to send it out to Geneva for attempted polishing/laser repair. I still wasn't pleased so they ended up replacing the entire mid-case w/ matching serial # for me. They destroyed the original by melting it down and reusing the precious metals (I asked).
wow! melt the original case and redo one for you! didn't expect rolex would go this far to repair a watch.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 06:47 PM   #67
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
take it back to your AD, show them and talk to them politely. I'm sure they will take care of it and satisfy your request. since we've all agreed that your brand new DD is not in top form.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2022, 10:25 PM   #68
dannyp
Banned

Quote:

I was thinking more of a situation where a careless SA perhaps pulled the watch out of its box at a weird angle when transferring from its shipping package to the green box, or taking it out to size for you - something that happened out of your view, and would have had just enough force to bend a WG pin a tiny bit.

When you refer to replacing "that section" are you referring to the entire 12:00 side of the bracelet, or simply replacing the entire link with the deformed part? If the latter, I think that's pretty reasonable.

Quote:
Chat with your AD first about the issues and go from there.

5 1/2 hour drive is a big commitment. I would save this as a last resort.
Agreed. Especially if my suspicion is correct (the part where RSC may attribute it to something that happened after leaving the factory). If the service center takes that position, I feel that it's best to have the AD in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
wow! melt the original case and redo one for you! didn't expect rolex would go this far to repair a watch.
Sounds more like a new case, without a serial engraved, was requested from Geneva, instead of a service case, with a serial, being chosen from NY/Dallas stock. The old one would then go along with any other scrap PM back to the foundry to be melted down since a) that scrap has real value and b) can't risk two cases with same serial floating around.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2022, 06:43 AM   #69
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

So for those saying that the sleeve slipped out, that should really only be possible on the links with screws. When you remove the screw, the sleeve surrounding the screw can come out. This is the case, for example, on certain GS bracelets.

HOWEVER, the area of the bracelet that is the problem has no screws. There is, in fact, nothing that can be so easily removed for the sleeve to come out.

It's also in the part of the bracelet that is rarely ever removed at all. Why remove a link near the lugs, at the widest point of the bracelet?

No, I don't think it's the sleeve, unless it's been damaged itself.

It's gotta be the pin. That's the one weak point of any bracelet that still uses pins to secure the links.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2022, 09:31 AM   #70
AD337
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
It's gotta be the pin. That's the one weak point of any bracelet that still uses pins to secure the links.
Agreed - and so, the only fix here would be that whole 12:00 bracelet section be replaced.. yes? Or am I missing something !?
Old 8 September 2022, 10:04 AM   #71
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Agreed - and so, the only fix here would be that whole 12:00 bracelet section be replaced.. yes? Or am I missing something !?
Only that, as far as I know, to a trained watchmaker/RSC tech, any bracelet link is removable (in that it can be replaced with the right tooling/knowledge). So, objectively speaking, not sure if a new link is truly inferior to a new bracelet half.

And, in reality, even if a new bracelet section were the only way to fix this, you'd only need the upper section. You could unscrew the removable part and reuse that.
Old 8 September 2022, 11:09 AM   #72
AbeFroman
Banned

Quote:
If the fault is found in one of the the permanent links they’re most likely going to replace that entire section. Bracelet section means the links that are non-removable (permanent).

I have never heard of them drilling and replacing a permanent link at a RSC like an independent watchmaker would do. That borders on the same line as repairing a stretched president bracelet which they definitely do not do. That’s why so many opt for an independent to repair and reuse an old president bracelet.

There’s a lot of fluff being posted in this thread, but at the end of the day the RSC isn’t the type to do heavy restorative work using original parts. They like to replace with new.
Old 8 September 2022, 01:04 PM   #73
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
If the fault is found in one of the the permanent links they’re most likely going to replace that entire section. Bracelet section means the links that are non-removable (permanent).

I have never heard of them drilling and replacing a permanent link at a RSC like an independent watchmaker would do. That borders on the same line as repairing a stretched president bracelet which they definitely do not do. That’s why so many opt for an independent to repair and reuse an old president bracelet.

There’s a lot of fluff being posted in this thread, but at the end of the day the RSC isn’t the type to do heavy restorative work using original parts. They like to replace with new.
Well, to play devil's advocate, I think there's a difference between what RSC will do 1) when fixing something defective that's otherwise new and under warranty vs. restoring something old, 2) working on something where they don't get to charge for materials, and 3) working with a bracelet that alone is worth tens of thousands of dollars vs one in steel that's intrinsic value is virtually nil.

But to your point, it's all conjecture on my part.
Old 8 September 2022, 06:55 PM   #74
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo99 View Post
the finishing on the crown is terrible, i would take it to the RSC to replace it under warranty.

Me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2022, 07:02 PM   #75
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Post 10, second option if the AD not going to send it there?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2022, 08:35 PM   #76
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:

That crown is terrible and should never have passed Rolex QC.

The bracelet is odd. There is no reason why a new bracelet with ceramic sleeved pins should be able to "bend" more on one side than the other.

Tolerances should be such that whilst a new bracelet may have a sticky link in terms of its normal around the wrist articulation, it shouldn't be exhibiting the left to right differences yours is along that particular plane of movement.

I'd visit in person and have a face to face discussion.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2022, 11:21 PM   #77
Vince M.
Banned

Watch: Meteorite
I would send it back.

If it bothers you now, it will bother you forever.
Vince M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 04:29 AM   #78
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab7jI75pzX4

The Presidential bracelet restoration process is painstaking and requires drilling and rework of the gold/platinum. In fact, with the platinum bracelet, it's probably nearly impossible to do (the video is showing the classic 18k gold bracelet...YG is much easier to work with).

Given the age of your watch, RSC will just replace the whole thing, and I would actually prefer that.
Old 9 September 2022, 05:05 AM   #79
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab7jI75pzX4

The Presidential bracelet restoration process is painstaking and requires drilling and rework of the gold/platinum. In fact, with the platinum bracelet, it's probably nearly impossible to do (the video is showing the classic 18k gold bracelet...YG is much easier to work with).

Given the age of your watch, RSC will just replace the whole thing, and I would actually prefer that.
Didn’t realize the difficulty! I still think RSC will replace as small a portion as is necessary, I’m now in the “non repair” camp.
Old 9 September 2022, 08:46 AM   #80
Laostuh
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I personally wouldn't be happy. Bracelet does look stretched to the right. And that crown is horrible.
Laostuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 09:48 AM   #81
kareemthedream33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I had the same issue with the bending bracelet on my wife’s gold 36 dd. I complained about it and was told it was normal but they replaced it with a new one because it was really bothering me….there was a noticeable bend. I could have probably lived with that. However, that crown is unacceptable. No way should it have passed QC like that. I would complain and it should 100% be replaced.
kareemthedream33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 02:48 PM   #82
Rolexerific
"TRF" Member

This is a beautiful amazing watch that you should be 100 percent happy with. Please go back to the AD and have them send it out for correction. Update us on how you are treated. They should treat you with much more then courtesy and respect. Some of the comments here are just so curt regarding an amazing watch.

Thanks for sharing this watch.
Rolexerific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2022, 03:50 PM   #83
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I agree with the above. This is close to a Rolex flagship watch as you can get. It's suppossed to be near or at the top of Rolex's lineup. THEY CAN'T JUST LET THESE ISSUES GO.

OR, did the AD just give you a returned watch hoping you wouldn't notice or care?
Old 10 September 2022, 03:49 AM   #84
AD337
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareemthedream33 View Post
I had the same issue with the bending bracelet on my wife’s gold 36 dd. I complained about it and was told it was normal but they replaced it with a new one because it was really bothering me….there was a noticeable bend. I could have probably lived with that. However, that crown is unacceptable. No way should it have passed QC like that. I would complain and it should 100% be replaced.

Hers was a current modern reference?? RSC replaced whole bracelet or just the section>??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexerific View Post
This is a beautiful amazing watch that you should be 100 percent happy with. Please go back to the AD and have them send it out for correction. Update us on how you are treated. They should treat you with much more then courtesy and respect. Some of the comments here are just so curt regarding an amazing watch.

Thanks for sharing this watch.
Right! Sheesh! Thanks !

Quote:
I agree with the above. This is close to a Rolex flagship watch as you can get. It's suppossed to be near or at the top of Rolex's lineup. THEY CAN'T JUST LET THESE ISSUES GO.

OR, did the AD just give you a returned watch hoping you wouldn't notice or care?
Oh no certainly not - brand new as can be - came this way from the cardboard coffin box
Old 10 September 2022, 03:52 AM   #85
AD337
"TRF" Member

Just to update everyone

Manager at AD has sent email with photos explaining what’s going on with bracelet and everything to the Rolex REP/Liason - crown cover obviously will be replaced I’ve always known that

But as for the bracelet .. really got my fingered crossed about this.. I will be 100% happy with new crown and new 12:00 permanent bracelet section! Watch is totally fine otherwise !

I’ll keep you guys posted, I do not expect this to be easy or go smoothly., I’m expecting to be told bracelet is normal and its supposed to have some play and give and so on.. So I did my best to explain that I am aware of that, and that what is taking place here is entirely different and not normal or ok.. not passable, not acceptable, and so on.. It’s truly such an easy fix, so I hope they just do it.. Ill keep y’all in the know
Old 10 September 2022, 04:28 AM   #86
DAC2
Banned

Watch: Pt 228206 ice blue
This thing with the bracelet is totally weird ! I just looked at my platinum
and it's tight as a drum !

Mine is a May 2022. Its basically brand new. NO issues like that. I would think they would replace the crown AND the the whole bracelet if necessary. That bracelet stretch is just not right. Stay on it and keep us posted. Good luck.
DAC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 04:48 AM   #87
AbeFroman
Banned

Quote:
Just to update everyone

Manager at AD has sent email with photos explaining what’s going on with bracelet and everything to the Rolex REP/Liason - crown cover obviously will be replaced I’ve always known that

But as for the bracelet .. really got my fingered crossed about this.. I will be 100% happy with new crown and new 12:00 permanent bracelet section! Watch is totally fine otherwise !

I’ll keep you guys posted, I do not expect this to be easy or go smoothly., I’m expecting to be told bracelet is normal and its supposed to have some play and give and so on.. So I did my best to explain that I am aware of that, and that what is taking place here is entirely different and not normal or ok.. not passable, not acceptable, and so on.. It’s truly such an easy fix, so I hope they just do it.. Ill keep y’all in the know
Thanks for updating the thread! I am following closely. Hoping for a satisfactory resolution for you.
Old 10 September 2022, 05:28 AM   #88
28mm
"TRF" Member

Thought of this thread last night. I spotted a guy sitting a couple of seats over from me wearing the same watch.

I asked if I could see it and tried to spot the defects you are experiencing.

Just kidding but I did see the watch for the first time and it looked amazing!

I am sure you will have no problem getting it sorted out!

Congratulations on a beautiful watch.
Old 10 September 2022, 07:30 AM   #89
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Just to update everyone

Fingers crossed, OP.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 10:23 AM   #90
AD337
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the well wishes guys yes I’m really hopeful to get the bracelet section replaced .. I LOVE the watch otherwise

Wrist shot! So by the way, when on wrist turn bracelet issue is a lot less noticeable majority of the time. However, this absolutely does not make it “OK” .. unfortunately I can’t really enjoy the watch until this is resolved …. As much as I LOVE this thing, I can’t help but think about the bracelet the whole time I’m wearing it

As said FINGERS CROSSED for the Rolex REP to really do his part for me and step in and make this bracelet replacement situation happen !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk