The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 September 2022, 11:24 AM   #31
zich6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
No need to respond to people who have nothing valuable to add.

If you’ve been sending it directly to RSC over the past 30+ years, and no problems, do what you did last time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Nice.
zich6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 03:29 PM   #32
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Agree with others. I always send through my AD.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 03:59 PM   #33
eijiboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
If you have no warranty send it to the watchbuyersgroup in pasedena California. Their service includes shipping insured both ways. Cant beat the price or their work. I will never send a watch to RSC Dallas again. They suck.
Is watchbuyersgroup a good rolex watchmaker?
eijiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 04:33 PM   #34
majidessa
"TRF" Member

You have a near vintage sub, a few pic will be nice. Also, what is wrong with your Rolex? Some send their watches after 25 years however, it seems you have done this already 3 times since you have own it which indicates that you might be following a 10 year service rule.

As for shipping I would be very cautious, many here are afraid that their watches get lost or stolen during shipping and so they prefer ADs even if they are in a galaxy far far away.
majidessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 09:05 PM   #35
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post
Agree with others. I always send through my AD.
You mean the others who are also ignoring that the guy is a 16 hour round trip drive from an AD?

USPS Registered Mail with Insurance is probably the best answer, and definitely what I would use.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 09:12 PM   #36
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zich6 View Post
I've owned the watch for 39 years, have sent it directly to a service center 3 times and have never had a problem. Besides, the nearest AD is over an 8 hour drive. Thanks for the recommendation though.

??
Shouldn’t you be recommending your method to yourself?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2022, 11:09 PM   #37
zich6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
You mean the others who are also ignoring that the guy is a 16 hour round trip drive from an AD?

USPS Registered Mail with Insurance is probably the best answer, and definitely what I would use.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Excellent response and excellent advice. Thanks so much.
Old 11 September 2022, 12:57 AM   #38
Game Hunter
Banned

I have always found it less suspenseful to send through a dealer.
Game Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 01:31 AM   #39
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Luckily I live about a hour away from our RSC.

If I had to ship it, I’d take it to my AD and let them deal with everything
Absolutely this.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 04:40 AM   #40
zich6
"TRF" Member

I have no idea so many people have said "take it to an AD" when I have stated many times that I'm a 16 hour round trip. What could you be thinking?
Old 11 September 2022, 04:59 AM   #41
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
I have no idea so many people have said "take it to an AD" when I have stated many times that I'm a 16 hour round trip. What could you be thinking?
Many people don't read past the first post.

The issue with what so many propose, using the AD, is that the AD becomes the RSC's customer, not you. This means that all communication and even the initial estimate, goes to the AD, not you.

Some Dealers handle it all and your wants/desires get missed in the relay.

Sending it yourself is a good move. Registered Mail is safe but takes a long time because it is locked up and signed for at each stage.
Old 11 September 2022, 05:03 AM   #42
zich6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Many people don't read past the first post.

The issue with what so many propose, using the AD, is that the AD becomes the RSC's customer, not you. This means that all communication and even the initial estimate, goes to the AD, not you.

Some Dealers handle it all and your wants/desires get missed in the relay.

Sending it yourself is a good move. Registered Mail is safe but takes a long time because it is locked up and signed for at each stage.
As always, great post and advice. Thanks.
Old 11 September 2022, 07:01 AM   #43
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
So, my actual experience with RSC in NYC. I sent a watch to them FedEx and it was refused. I had to pay shipping via FedEx to have the box sent back to me. I called Rolex and Registered Mail is the only shipments they accept. They want the packaging to comply with RM standard which is paper tape all around with stamping everywhere.

If you call them first, they will overnight or expedite you a shipping kit. This includes the shipping box, cushion, label and paper tape strips. Box it up take it to USPS and you are good to go. Insurance is available up to 50K. And get this, Rolex sent me a check for the postage as the watch was under warranty.

As Tools said, if you send through an AD, the AD becomes the customer, and you cannot speak to RSC directly about issues which may arise. Plus, if the watch picks up a mark or two, and the AD shipped it, there is no way to tell where those marks happened.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 07:35 AM   #44
zich6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
So, my actual experience with RSC in NYC. I sent a watch to them FedEx and it was refused. I had to pay shipping via FedEx to have the box sent back to me. I called Rolex and Registered Mail is the only shipments they accept. They want the packaging to comply with RM standard which is paper tape all around with stamping everywhere.

If you call them first, they will overnight or expedite you a shipping kit. This includes the shipping box, cushion, label and paper tape strips. Box it up take it to USPS and you are good to go. Insurance is available up to 50K. And get this, Rolex sent me a check for the postage as the watch was under warranty.

As Tools said, if you send through an AD, the AD becomes the customer, and you cannot speak to RSC directly about issues which may arise. Plus, if the watch picks up a mark or two, and the AD shipped it, there is no way to tell where those marks happened.
Wow, they sound very difficult. Dallas told me I could use FedEx or other Shipping methods. Thanks for that.
Old 11 September 2022, 08:41 AM   #45
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Sending in for service

Quote:
I did a search but couldn't find anything on the subject. I need to send my Submariner into the Dallas Center. Rolex recommends registered mail due to the others caps on insurance. I know registered would be best but with $10k insurance it's very expensive. Is it really necessary and would anyone recommend another shipping method. TIA

$10k insurance through USPS Register mail is not that expensive ($37 from my location to Dallas according to USPS.com).

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 09:00 AM   #46
zich6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
$10k insurance through USPS Register mail is not that expensive ($37 from my location to Dallas according to USPS.com).

Thanks, $85 from here to Dallas.
Old 12 September 2022, 04:07 AM   #47
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:

I’m just quoting the registered fee for the insurance, which think is the same regardless of shipping origin within the USA. probably the $85 includes the shipping. Still cheap (for reference, $5k insurance through regular USPS Priority is $100 if not mistaken and that is the max you can buy)

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 04:10 AM   #48
OYptL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Rolex recommends Registered Mail because it is reliable and tracked. They don't really worry if you have your parcel insured, that is up to you.

Contact the Service Center and they will send you a shipping label and instructions.
This. 6 or 7 yrs ago RSC Dallas actually sent an entire “kit” if you will.
OYptL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 06:27 AM   #49
Bet
Banned

I believe Rolex will make it easy for you, you can contact customer service they would instruct you on what to do.
Bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 09:43 AM   #50
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestreak View Post
For an individual, I absolutely would only send registered mail. If you have an insurance policy specifically for the watch, that might work. And you can send fed ex. But I would specifically ask if shipping is covered.
If all you have is a homeowners policy without a rider I would assume it’s not covered. If you have a rider I would call and ask.

Rolex can send back with fed ex because they are a business and insurance works different than that for individuals.

I love registered mail when I ship watches. It’s slower, but you’re pretty much guaranteeing it will arrive. A postmaster told me once natter of factly, “we don’t lose registered mail.”

It has to be signed for every time it changes hands (true chain of custody) and has to be locked away overnight. Which is why it takes longer.

It’s pricely, but I’ve found not that pricey. I mailed a $4000 watch and it was like 40 bucks with insurance.
I only use USPS registered mail. Your postmaster is right...they don't lose it and it's kept under lock and key and every transfer is documented. If they DO lose it, the facility that lost it knows that Postal Inspectors (armed federal agents, FYI) will be breathing down their necks.

I also don't think it's expensive given the protections and the replacement cost (and these days the hassle) of replacing what you're sending.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 09:47 AM   #51
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
Registered is the way to go. The cost of insurance is negligible.

Quote:
I did a search but couldn't find anything on the subject. I need to send my Submariner into the Dallas Center. Rolex recommends registered mail due to the others caps on insurance. I know registered would be best but with $10k insurance it's very expensive. Is it really necessary and would anyone recommend another shipping method. TIA
Old 12 September 2022, 09:48 AM   #52
Sunny Arizona
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613
The service starts at $750 just fyi so 85 for shipping is nothing.

Quote:
Old 12 September 2022, 11:52 AM   #53
Rafeeq
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41
Regarding insurance on registered mail, when I sent my DJ in a few days ago with the box, etc. Dallas RSC sent me, the paperwork from the Post Office said, "Domestic insurance up to $50,000 is included based on the declared value"...and I declared $11,000, so I took that to mean it automatically is insured (?). Total was $44.90, which didn't seem too bad, considering.
Rafeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 11:56 AM   #54
Baiv
Banned

Watch: SubLV
I send through my AD always
Baiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 02:21 PM   #55
MRBolton
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing my wrist
I shipped my Pepsi insured at $11,502 via USPS for $46.85 plus tax. I shipped my Tudor BB58 at $3,718 for $31.25 plus tax. I live a couple states away.

It’s pretty cheap. I wouldn’t let that stop me.
MRBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 04:27 PM   #56
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Wow, they sound very difficult. Dallas told me I could use FedEx or other Shipping methods. Thanks for that.
USPS registered mail with brown tape is the only shipping method a RSC in the States will accept. Save yourself the hassle, and do NOT ship with FedEx or any other shipping methods.
Old 12 September 2022, 05:32 PM   #57
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
I sent a registered mail to Hawaii and took 2 weeks to a friend, very very slow. I could track.
daily and saw all the posts in between. It was unnerving to see it . i think I just paid like 20$ and I don’t recall what I told the postmaster . Rude one, that I had dealt with before so not one to ask her many questions.!!!

Now I would send through you AD, they will send to Rolex and they are insured. Ask your AD. Then you will get a report from Rolex pricing each aspect they have assessed. Rolex and other send UPS Fed Ex back but they have a their own agreements.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 12:37 AM   #58
zich6
"TRF" Member

First, let me say I greatly appreciate the advice provided here. After careful consideration, I decided to test the "registered mail with paper tape" nonsense by shipping Postal Service small flat rate box without insurance as I have insurance, but added signature required, total $12.55. The shipment took 2 days. The result is that Rolex Dallas confirmed receipt today and will provided a repair estimate in 1-2 weeks. Since my watch was manufactured in the 80s, I was told it's not "modern era" and will take longer than normal, 10 weeks to repair once the repair is authorized.

I provide this information for those who may be in a similar situation and to debunk the "registered mail with paper tape" requirement malarky, at least at the Dallas Center. The USPS flat rate boxes that I used are self-sealing and have no paper tape.
Old 16 September 2022, 01:27 AM   #59
zich6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
It's best to have it sent through your AD.
You didn't read my posts. I'm a 16 hour round trip so that's not viable.
Old 16 September 2022, 05:40 AM   #60
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
You didn't read my posts. I'm a 16 hour round trip so that's not viable.
If you hadn't responded separately to every single person who didn't read the entire thread and realize that you were an 8 hour drive from an AD, the thread would have been a lot shorter and perhaps people would have read through it all!

Glad you got it sorted.