The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 September 2022, 02:47 AM   #1
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
PAM292 Opinion?

I've been looking to add an all black ceramic watch lately. Stumbled across thr PAM292 Radiomir Black Seal that they no long produce. Any opinions on this reference? Do you think the 44mm size is a little too big? My wrist is 7.5" Is this a good movement? Any thoughts on what would be a good price on this one? All thoughts appreciated

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 03:39 AM   #2
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Hey Mike, years ago I had this obsession with a black watch and a Panerai. I started to be infatuated with this exact reference. My wrist is about your size, possibly a tad smaller. Anyway, I looked all over on line and watched videos of this 292 and read many reviews. Everything pointed to this being the next black watch for me. Until, I went and actually tried it on. I was underwhelmed, not happy and wanting to force myself to love it. I realized this watch did not have the DNA that Panerai typically has. So, I left the AD disappointed and did not find myself the right black watch until a few months ago. I bought and loved the Panerai 335 GMT, it has everything I want, and love this reference. Make sure you try this 292 on before ordering or buying one. Good luck and keep us posted.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 03:42 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Good on the cheap to mix it up but I agree with Nicholas.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 03:43 AM   #4
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Here are a few pics of a black Panerai that may be of interest to you.
It has the Panerai crown and lock, 1950 case, GMT and 10 day power reserve in ceramic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 September 2022, 03:55 AM   #5
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Here are a few pics of a black Panerai that may be of interest to you.
It has the Panerai crown and lock, 1950 case, GMT and 10 day power reserve in ceramic.

That's a beauty. What size is that?

Can you explain to me what you were saying about the 292 lacking Panerai DNA? Was there a particular element of it that rubbed you the wrong way?

Cost is another issue. I can get a 292 for <$5K. Some of there watches are just too pricey for me.

Old 11 September 2022, 06:10 AM   #6
1st amg
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks! That’s a 44mm the 335. I felt that the watch 292 was lacking what I wanted from Panerai. Such as the crown and lock, the 1950 case with bubble/dome crystal. The 292 has none of those attributes, and I found when I had it on the wrist it was not exciting at all. As well, if you like to customize the look of your Panerai, the 292 case will not have as many strap choices as a 44mm Luminor. I say wait a little longer, save a little more and get the black Luminor Panerai.

Old 11 September 2022, 02:39 PM   #7
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Ironic timing for me to come across this thread. Many years ago, the 292 was my first Panerai. I wore it a short time and just couldn't get "into" it, so to speak. I ended up trading it for a 111. Anyhow, the irony is I was looking through some old photos today and came across some of the 292 and thought, damn, I wish I still had that watch.

In hindsight, I think my issue was I had owed primarily 40mm watches and the Panerai just seemed so huge to me. Fast forward and Panerai is now the brand I wear the most, along with a couple other 44mm or so watches. Interesting how we all see it different, to me, the Radiomir is the original Panerai DNA, the rest morphed from it.

The most help I can give is I regret parting with mine.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 06:00 PM   #8
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

I have always been underwhelmed by Radiomir models. 45mm wear small and 47mm apart from 232 feel like dinner plates! I’m also not a fan of the ceramic models, but some of the early dlc ones look amazing. Attempt to try on any Radiomir first and then you can be sure. I’ve been through a 390, 233 & now have 112 & early Submersible.
Old 12 September 2022, 12:24 AM   #9
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Appreciate all the comments. I definitely need to try on a radiomir for size and to see if I like the look. Panerai is definitely a different animal vs all the other watches out there.

I picked up a cheap black PVD coated Orient recently and discovered I really like the all-black look and I wear it more than some of my much higher priced ss watches.

This Panerai caught my eye, but I also got to try on a Tudor BB Ceramic a couple months back and really liked it. Panerai is nice because it would be so different from everything else in my collection, but I really did love the look of that Tudor. Hmmm...

Old 12 September 2022, 12:43 AM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
You can definitely pull it off Mike, especially with wire lugs it wears smaller.

I wear a 47 MM Rad as you know and it’s a 1940s case and I think it’s perfect on my 7” wrist.

Here is a link to the article and the fellow who has the same size of wrist as me. I bought this watch from him (through DSW)

https://www.paneraicentral.com/paner...-hands-review/
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 07:11 AM   #11
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You can definitely pull it off Mike, especially with wire lugs it wears smaller.

I wear a 47 MM Rad as you know and it’s a 1940s case and I think it’s perfect on my 7” wrist.

Here is a link to the article and the fellow who has the same size of wrist as me. I bought this watch from him (through DSW)

https://www.paneraicentral.com/paner...-hands-review/
That watch or yours is a total beauty. The blue dial is spectacular. Didn't realize it was a 47. It doesn't overpower your wrist at all. And black watches wear smaller anyway so I think 45 should be fine for me. The 41.5 Orient wears more like a 40 due to the color.

Old 12 September 2022, 12:23 PM   #12
APhound
"TRF" Member

The 292 is the watch that got me into watches and I’ve never owned it. I was 18 in Maui and went to the Rolex store with my dad (couldn’t care less about watches at the time) and they had a small case of panerais and I fell in love with the brand and have owned many panerais since but never a 292. I will buy one eventually I’m sure but i don’t think I’ve ever seen one since that day 15 years ago. Closest I have is 504 and at 47, which sounds ridiculous, it doesn’t feel big at all

APhound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2022, 06:33 PM   #13
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i have tried it it's ok. the problem is that the crown maybe to delicate for my use. if you are careful with it. it's going to be fine.

it has the good old fashion movement.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2022, 11:36 PM   #14
Joearch
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I own the 292 along with other Panerai. 233, 372, 390, 424, 911 etc. The Radiomir case is classic Panerai. I love the look and feel on my wrist. While it does not have a crown guard it is still a very solid watch. Ceramic material is special.
Joearch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2022, 06:30 AM   #15
Andy0331
2024 Pledge Member

I like the 292 & regret not getting one with the "pig dial" earlier this year. My problem is that I have too many black watches & I'd like to mix it up more. In hindsight, I should have grabbed it anyway, as the pig dials are pretty rare.
Andy0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2022, 06:53 AM   #16
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I have been a 44mm luminor fan. I never have a 292, but had a 210 for short while. I couldn't get used to the case shape for my wrist size, and I don't like to unscrew the crown every other day to wind the watch. YMMV.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote