The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 16 September 2022, 02:23 PM   #1
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

16202 vs 15202

Is the new 16202 definitively better than the old 15202?

From a functionality/feature or beauty of the movement standpoint would there be any reason to pick a 15202 over a 16202? (Assume non 50th). Just curious for those that track the details of the update closer than I do.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 02:34 PM   #2
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Well, do you like left or right better? There actually is a tiny tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jumbo_comp.jpg (179.2 KB, 918 views)
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 03:21 PM   #3
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

I am gonna say left is the 16202 based on chamfers but it’s a guess.

I would personally like to have the 16202. I like that the new movement is modern, quick set date and I think the new movement is better looking with the twin gold bridges.
gretch6364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 04:02 PM   #4
SNiwat
"TRF" Member

In term of appearance, the only difference I found between the two models is the position of the date window. The date window of 16202st stays closer to the edge more than 15202st’s, possibly around 0.5mm which make me think that the new model in the near future will come with 40mm case.
SNiwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2022, 11:23 PM   #5
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNiwat View Post
In term of appearance, the only difference I found between the two models is the position of the date window. The date window of 16202st stays closer to the edge more than 15202st’s, possibly around 0.5mm which make me think that the new model in the near future will come with 40mm case.
Bingo. The difference in date window position is about the width of the gap between two tapisserie squares. Therefore, the 16202 is on the right of this picture (easier to see in the original from monochromewatches)
Old 17 September 2022, 12:27 AM   #6
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Bingo. The difference in date window position is about the width of the gap between two tapisserie squares. Therefore, the 16202 is on the right of this picture (easier to see in the original from monochromewatches)
Yeah…I knew this difference but could tell in the picture posted here. Wrong guess by me! Lol
Old 17 September 2022, 02:24 AM   #7
7sins
"TRF" Member

Would take a 15202BC over any 16202 including the PT.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 06:36 AM   #8
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

The movement is different and has a quick change date finally.

If you had a choice definitely get the 16202, however if you are asking it probably means you can't get one at a boutique. In that case, you will save a bunch of money going with the 15202, so get that one no question
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 07:25 AM   #9
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

I'd go for the 16202. My dad doesn't even bother setting the date on his 15202
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2022, 08:05 AM   #10
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
I'd go for the 16202. My dad doesn't even bother setting the date on his 15202
If you're dad's vision is like mine, there's not much lost by not setting the date
Old 17 September 2022, 08:11 AM   #11
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
If we are talking overall appearance, I would likely say the 15202 has better looking movement. 16202 probably better functionally, but I would go for a better looking movement and rotor.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2022, 05:26 AM   #12
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
Would take a 15202BC over any 16202 including the PT.
Does that mean you consider the salmon dial to continue to be your elusive Moby Dick?

I feel now having worn a code chrono for 1+ years and then the new ROC for the better part of a year, I'm feeling that the new watches are simply too thick for my personal preference. Don't like the logo name only and 15500 still feels too dinner plate-y, so revisiting that jumbo decision now that prices are at least more sane just to end the madeness rather waiting waiting before a big milestone birthday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTuna View Post
The movement is different and has a quick change date finally.

If you had a choice definitely get the 16202, however if you are asking it probably means you can't get one at a boutique. In that case, you will save a bunch of money going with the 15202, so get that one no question
Yeah, I think after 6+ pieces, the writings on the wall. Not getting a jumbo anytime soon. There were one or two codes I was offered that I declined and I think I'm just behind the Jones as it were at this point, and I'm not as smooth as thecrownprince, so I'll just spend money to solve my own neurosis at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
If you're dad's vision is like mine, there's not much lost by not setting the date
I remember 20 years ago when people complained about black dial daytona being unreadable, and I kept thinking I have no idea what these people are talking about...and now...yeah...there might be a date there, or it might be fuzzy hour marker...but I wouldn't be able you tell you at a glance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
If we are talking overall appearance, I would likely say the 15202 has better looking movement. 16202 probably better functionally, but I would go for a better looking movement and rotor.
Do you consider movement to be more 'beautiful' 50th rotor aside? Why do you feel that more, more visible moving parts compared to the new movement? (Maybe my memory is off, but kind of feels panerai-ish with the plate configuration but I like the symmetry of the top/bottom movement of the 16202)
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2022, 10:38 AM   #13
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post

Does that mean you consider the salmon dial to continue to be your elusive Moby Dick?
It's been a top grail for me forever, I remember discussing it when we had lunch. I wasn't lucky enough to receive one from my boutique as they only made 75 for the world each year and they discontinued it last year. Then prices went nuts to $320k which is absurd, now they have reverted and are closer to $170k. Once they bottom, I suspect Q1 next year, I will add tot he collection, that will be a forever watch - it needs to be seen in person to appreciate and the WG weight makes it the perfect weight on the wrist (ST always felt a little light given the thin case/bracelet).
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 02:35 PM   #14
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
It's been a top grail for me forever, I remember discussing it when we had lunch. I wasn't lucky enough to receive one from my boutique as they only made 75 for the world each year and they discontinued it last year. Then prices went nuts to $320k which is absurd, now they have reverted and are closer to $170k. Once they bottom, I suspect Q1 next year, I will add tot he collection, that will be a forever watch - it needs to be seen in person to appreciate and the WG weight makes it the perfect weight on the wrist (ST always felt a little light given the thin case/bracelet).
If you guys do an LA lunch with other AP lovers I’d love to attend. I’m still trying to get my 16202 this year if possible. Anything is possible (even if it probably is almost impossible) 🤣
thecrownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2022, 02:47 PM   #15
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Thanks for the info everyone.

Yeah, I think after 6+ pieces, the writings on the wall. Not getting a jumbo anytime soon. There were one or two codes I was offered that I declined and I think I'm just behind the Jones as it were at this point, and I'm not as smooth as thecrownprince, so I'll just spend money to solve my own neurosis at this point.

Do you consider movement to be more 'beautiful' 50th rotor aside? Why do you feel that more, more visible moving parts compared to the new movement? (Maybe my memory is off, but kind of feels panerai-ish with the plate configuration but I like the symmetry of the top/bottom movement of the 16202)
I think the new 16202 has the better movement - for me AP is always about innovation, and a balance with disruption (royal oak 1972, Offshore 1993, RO concept 2002, now Code) - I have always disliked the way the old movement circular rail for the rotors ruby bearings. To me it ruined the beauty of the movement. Don’t even get started on the non-quickset date.

The 7121 propels the Jumbo into a new generation of modern movements while keeping the classic case size and dial layout. It’s really disruptive on the movement side in a way that’s exciting - just like the original Jumbo disrupted the sport watch.

I’m hoping to get a Jumbo 50th - looooooong shot but , well, one can dream ��
thecrownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 02:58 AM   #16
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

What are the guesses for rotor design for the 16202 next year? I hope it is more unique then what is coming on the latest tourbillion release...and definitely hope they go back to rose gold to match the bridges.
Old 23 September 2022, 04:04 AM   #17
APWhale
Banned

Watch: Code 11.59
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
What are the guesses for rotor design for the 16202 next year? I hope it is more unique then what is coming on the latest tourbillion release...and definitely hope they go back to rose gold to match the bridges.
Here you go sneak peak of the backside for next year's 16202.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_3521.jpeg (163.5 KB, 428 views)
APWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 04:34 AM   #18
gretch6364
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APWhale View Post
Here you go sneak peak of the backside for next year's 16202.
Thanks! That is the answer. I am glad they went back to rose gold, and I get that the style matches the bridges nicely, but was hoping for something a little more exciting.

Oh well....I would still be over the moon if I got the chance at one!
Old 23 September 2022, 01:47 PM   #19
charlie2888
"TRF" Member

Has anyone seen the quality of the 16202 movement finishing up close? Is this handmade at APRP like the 2121 movement or closer finishing quality to the more mass produced AP movements?
charlie2888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2022, 02:31 PM   #20
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie2888 View Post
Has anyone seen the quality of the 16202 movement finishing up close? Is this handmade at APRP like the 2121 movement or closer finishing quality to the more mass produced AP movements?

Good hand finishing - more than your standard 4302 but less than the 2121

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote