The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 September 2022, 02:13 AM   #1
APcollect
"TRF" Member

GMT VTNR "SPRITE" who's gonna ask for it?

I'm actually a right-handed, so I wear most of my watches on my left hand. It's been few months that I felt in love with the new GMT.

Do you think I could ask for it to my AD even if I'm a righty? Of course asking it does mean I will receive it. And who's gonna do the same?
APcollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 02:18 AM   #2
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 02:35 AM   #3
urbangentleman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APcollect View Post
I'm actually a right-handed, so I wear most of my watches on my left hand. It's been few months that I felt in love with the new GMT.

Do you think I could ask for it to my AD even if I'm a righty? Of course asking it does mean I will receive it. And who's gonna do the same?

No, simple answer, but just no. This is a lefty only piece and will only be sold to true lefty's like myself. You need to prove with photo evidence of for example signing your marriage certificate or something dating pre-release... This needs to go hand-in-hand with you voting right wing in order to get considered for the Sprite....
urbangentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 02:44 AM   #4
Driver8
"TRF" Member

I'm sure millions of right-handed folk have asked for the VTNR (even though it is clearly designed for left-handed folk, given the date position), so if you like it, go for it.

Definitely not for me though. I really like the green and black bezel, but I actively dislike pretty much everything else about it.
Old 28 September 2022, 02:59 AM   #5
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Not interested. Maybe a Coke if it happens.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 03:09 AM   #6
ndane
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately, it is not currently legal to sell this watch to those who don’t identify as a “Southpaw” in the United States. If you do claim Southpaw status, you will need to prove it by booking an appointment with your AD where they will have you write an essay with both your right and left hands. The AD will then determine which essay’s handwriting appears more “natural.” You will then be awarded a spot on “the list” if it is deemed you are truly left-handed. Any ADs not following this protocol need to be reported to the Department of Proper Luxury Goods Allocation Enforcement (DPLGAE).
ndane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 03:12 AM   #7
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
I'm sure millions of right-handed folk have asked for the VTNR (even though it is clearly designed for left-handed folk, given the date position), so if you like it, go for it.
I think the date positioning has a lot more to do with minimizing modifications to the 3285 movement than orienting the watch for lefties. As designed, Rolex could literally flip the watch 180 degrees, print an upside down date wheel/dial and call it a day.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 03:23 AM   #8
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I think the date positioning has a lot more to do with minimizing modifications to the 3285 movement than orienting the watch for lefties. As designed, Rolex could literally flip the watch 180 degrees, print an upside down date wheel/dial and call it a day.
Maybe, but personally I'm not convinced as there's nothing in the way of movement modification needed to keep the date window on the right of the dial. The date wheel isn't offset on the movement, so as you say, all it needed was an upside-down printed date wheel and the window could've been kept on the right.

Unlike a diver's watch where a left hand crown is good for keeping it away from potential damage when sticking your hands into wrecks and things underwater, there's no practical reason for a right-handed GMT to have a left hand crown. And to my mind, having the date closest to the hand is the natural and easiest position for reading it.

All of that makes me convinced it's designed for left-handed folks, even if Rolex won't actually say that!

But who knows.
Old 28 September 2022, 03:24 AM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
If Roger Federer can wear one, so can you
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 03:43 AM   #10
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

My AD actually surprised me with new Sprite (never asked about it, just went in to send my Carrera for service). I didn’t buy it. It looked weird to me, everything being on opposite side and all, I just couldn’t get used to it. I thought if I wore it for a little bit I would like it. I wore it for good 30minutes, and nothing. Didn’t fall for it, so I very gratefully thanked him for it and said not for me. He was surprised but said he appreciated the honesty.
I never purchased a watch I didn’t like, don’t care about the hype.
However, I did purchase watches that my friends did not like,lol. That’s ok because I liked them.
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 04:07 AM   #11
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Maybe, but personally I'm not convinced as there's nothing in the way of movement modification needed to keep the date window on the right of the dial. The date wheel isn't offset on the movement, so as you say, all it needed was an upside-down printed date wheel and the window could've been kept on the right.

Unlike a diver's watch where a left hand crown is good for keeping it away from potential damage when sticking your hands into wrecks and things underwater, there's no practical reason for a right-handed GMT to have a left hand crown. And to my mind, having the date closest to the hand is the natural and easiest position for reading it.

All of that makes me convinced it's designed for left-handed folks, even if Rolex won't actually say that!

But who knows.
No doubt it’s for the left handed. I’d always assumed some kind of date offset or else some obstruction preventing date window from staying at 3:00. But to your point, who knows…
Old 28 September 2022, 04:08 AM   #12
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
If Roger Federer can wear one, so can you
True. But just because Roger can get, does not mean you can as well
Old 28 September 2022, 04:09 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
True. But just because Roger can get, does not mean you can as well

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 04:12 AM   #14
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
As a true LH'er it's on my wish list with AD.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 04:14 AM   #15
Yadi_Collector
"TRF" Member

I'm a lefty, wear my watch on my right wrist.
I have asked and lobbied for one of these since they were announced.
Sad truth is that most dealers aren't getting too many of them...
If offered, I will gladly drop whatever I'm doing to pick it up.
Yadi_Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 05:25 AM   #16
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
Sorry, not my cup of tea.
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 05:46 AM   #17
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, lots of lefty posts recently. My dad loves his. He's sitting next to me wearing his right now. Here's a pic when I first gifted it to him.

wristscan_7291376.jpg

Just took a 'Family' pic....

1ed.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 09:14 AM   #18
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

You can just say "VTNR". On this website we aren't idiots and we know which watches are which.
Potawatomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 10:15 AM   #19
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 10:15 AM   #20
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Wow, lots of lefty posts recently. My dad loves his. He's sitting next to me wearing his right now. Here's a pic when I first gifted it to him.

Attachment 1321268

Just took a 'Family' pic....

Attachment 1321279

ЯИTV wɘn ɿυoγ no ƨnoiɈɒlυɈɒɿϱnoƆ
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 10:18 AM   #21
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I’ve expressed my interest and should get one soon. I’m mainly intrigued how it will wear since I am right handed but wear watches on the right.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 03:24 PM   #22
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
ЯИTV wɘn ɿυoγ no ƨnoiɈɒlυɈɒɿϱnoƆ
!sknaht ynaM
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 05:43 PM   #23
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Its funny there have been a few left hand wind watches made by Rolex a few Subs and DJs that was quite a few years ago They only made a few in S.Steel and just a very small number in 18kt gold subs. Plus some that were specially made for the left handed Comex divers.And a very small amount of the DJs were specially made in the mid and late 1950s highly collectable now but now as rare as hens teeth,back then the left hand wind Rolex watches were very very poor sellers. But today mainly because of the internet and social media hype over the Rolex GMT VTNR,now hard to get and already bringing crazy money on grey market. Today hype sells Rolex watches as many today buy the hype to wear it, speaking for myself like all my Rolex watches right hand wind.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 04:13 AM   #24
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
You're AD probably cares much more about net profits...and not whether you are left- or right-handed!

If you are buying stuff from them on a regular basis and are a long-time customer, they are probably going to prioritize you much more so than someone who only asks for stainless professional models.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 08:49 AM   #25
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
No way a right handed person should try to buy this watch. Can’t us lefties have something for ourselves?!
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 11:39 AM   #26
Scholar
"TRF" Member

It might be the most painfully lazy release ever. They couldn't even be bothered to keep the date in the right place (as the original left-hand GMT Masters had)–yet Tudor managed it?!

Why is the management of the Rolex division so piss-poor?
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 12:03 PM   #27
cornsyrup_bezel
"TRF" Member

love it incredible release go for it!
cornsyrup_bezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 12:29 PM   #28
sski
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ & ✠
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Its funny there have been a few left hand wind watches made by Rolex a few Subs and DJs that was quite a few years ago They only made a few in S.Steel and just a very small number in 18kt gold subs. Plus some that were specially made for the left handed Comex divers.And a very small amount of the DJs were specially made in the mid and late 1950s highly collectable now but now as rare as hens teeth,back then the left hand wind Rolex watches were very very poor sellers. But today mainly because of the internet and social media hype over the Rolex GMT VTNR,now hard to get and already bringing crazy money on grey market. Today hype sells Rolex watches as many today buy the hype to wear it, speaking for myself like all my Rolex watches right hand wind.
sadly, today Rolex watches have become little more than ££$$$€€€€ things, all sold to the highest bidder based on nothing but speculative rubbish!
sski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 01:40 PM   #29
Bxtek
"TRF" Member

I've been asking for this one ever since it was released. I know a lot of others have done the same. I'm not holding my breath and my chances are slim to none, but bottom line is if you don't ask, you definitely won't get!

I had never seen one in the metal and I wasn't sure if I'd even like it. That is until last weekend. I stopped into my local AD and they had one! On Jubilee too, which is what I preferred! Unfortunately, it was already allocated and was not available for me to purchase. I got to see one though for the first time, and I want one even more now! Such a beautiful watch!
Bxtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 04:35 PM   #30
waxy88
"TRF" Member

I will be turning 50 in 2024 and as a “south-paw” (although weirdly when I boxed, I actually fought orthodox) I will be requesting this piece to mark my milestone birthday.
waxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote