The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 28 September 2022, 12:41 PM   #1
Atmwireless
"TRF" Member

First visit to ap store Los angeles

Went in saw a few exhibition watches…. Christain got my information and told me they would call me back with an appointment to meet a sales rep and see what I was interested in and possibly put my on a waitlist for a royal oak that he thought would be a 1 or 2 year wait.

I did go in asking what Type of purchase history I would need for such a watch… he told me nothing if I didn’t want……

So my question…. Is he blowing smoke? Or do I have a chance if I were to wait.
Atmwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 01:26 PM   #2
TunaTuna
2024 Pledge Member

Yes he is 100% blowing smoke. There is no wait list. You just become a prospect for the SA. Who is the SA going to give a RO, a good client who buys a lot from him, or you a stranger? Think about it. You have no chance if that's all you want
TunaTuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 01:47 PM   #3
APWhale
Banned

Watch: Code 11.59
Don’t listen to the fish. You have a chance. But only if you play your cards right.
APWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 03:04 PM   #4
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by APWhale View Post
Don’t listen to the fish. You have a chance. But only if you play your cards right.

I agree with this statement.. Good rapport and patience will yield good results.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE / AP 26574st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26331.or/ AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2022, 03:05 PM   #5
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Some people have had some success with acquiring a Royal Oak without prior purchase.

Keyword is “some”. My recommendation is to always buy what you like but be open minded to different options.
thecrownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 12:51 AM   #6
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
They sell most if not all to Athletes and Celebrities at the boutique.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 03:16 AM   #7
psm11
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
Yeah the was the sentiment when I was last there. In fact, when I was last there over a year ago, Schwarzenegger's son was in there picking up a panda 26331 and multiple 15500s. these are the kinds of people you are competing with at that particular boutique. on the other hand, what do you have to lose by trying to start a relationship with them? worst case you don't get the watch you want. with market prices continuing to tumble, why not spend the next few months building a relationship with them and if nothing materializes, maybe the same watch will be at a price on the secondary market you are comfortable with.
psm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 05:13 AM   #8
cvz
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex/IWC/VC
FWIW... this is my boutique and I'm neither an athlete nor celebrity. I was allocated a ROO after meeting with the fantastic staff there in just over 8 weeks. Kindness, interest in the brand, and measured expectations are important. I have a 50th RO on my wishlist and time will tell if I'm allocated one.
cvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 05:17 AM   #9
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psm11 View Post
Yeah the was the sentiment when I was last there. In fact, when I was last there over a year ago, Schwarzenegger's son was in there picking up a panda 26331 and multiple 15500s. these are the kinds of people you are competing with at that particular boutique. on the other hand, what do you have to lose by trying to start a relationship with them? worst case you don't get the watch you want. with market prices continuing to tumble, why not spend the next few months building a relationship with them and if nothing materializes, maybe the same watch will be at a price on the secondary market you are comfortable with.
Multiple? What does he do with them, hand them out?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 06:04 AM   #10
psm11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Multiple? What does he do with them, hand them out?
Lol not sure but i wouldn’t be surprised. Arnold has been known to gift watches to his entourage and friends. I don’t know if he was picking up all 15500s or rather he was picking up one and just viewing the others. The treatment isn’t surprising given Arnold strong relationship with the brand (wasn’t he their first celeb collab)?
Old 29 September 2022, 07:24 AM   #11
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
This is not true, many friends and myself are neither athletes nor celebrities, we have been allocated plenty of watches over the years. Much has changed after the store transitioned from Westime to AP Corp. It is all about the relationships you build with your SA, it isn't dictated by your celebrity status much like the rest of LA.

OP don't let the others dissuade you, build a genuine relationship, stay persistent without being overly annoying and show passion for the brand. Try to have an existing AP client introduce you. I know several individuals who had their first meeting this year at the boutique and all were allocated a 50th watch, it was their first AP albeit they were all collectors. One just picked up a 15510st yesterday and his first meeting at the store was 3 months ago. My understanding AP is looking to build new client relationships with true enthusiasts. Don't give up.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 07:36 AM   #12
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
This is not true, many friends and myself are neither athletes nor celebrities, we have been allocated plenty of watches over the years. Much has changed after the store transitioned from Westime to AP Corp. It is all about the relationships you build with your SA, it isn't dictated by your celebrity status much like the rest of LA.

OP don't let the others dissuade you, build a genuine relationship, stay persistent without being overly annoying and show passion for the brand. Try to have an existing AP client introduce you. I know several individuals who had their first meeting this year at the boutique and all were allocated a 50th watch, it was their first AP albeit they were all collectors. One just picked up a 15510st yesterday and his first meeting at the store was 3 months ago. My understanding AP is looking to build new client relationships with true enthusiasts. Don't give up.
That's true but looking at your profile your collection shows me a client who they would want to build a relationship with. If I walked in with a Seiko 5 and saved all my pennies to get a RO, I'm not sure they would care.
I mean I've walked in wearing my 5131 and guess what they spent time talking with me. Another time I picked up a gift for my wife nearby, figured I'd stop by and I was wearing my tag heuer night diver and guess what,they barely blinked at me
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 08:43 AM   #13
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
That's true but looking at your profile your collection shows me a client who they would want to build a relationship with. If I walked in with a Seiko 5 and saved all my pennies to get a RO, I'm not sure they would care.
I mean I've walked in wearing my 5131 and guess what they spent time talking with me. Another time I picked up a gift for my wife nearby, figured I'd stop by and I was wearing my tag heuer night diver and guess what,they barely blinked at me
That's fair, I think times have changed, I started my AP relationship 7 years ago and the only watch I owned at that point was a Daytona which didn't help my case. Albeit those days they actually had inventory.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 10:50 AM   #14
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
There’s always a chance.
Seddyspaghetti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 12:08 PM   #15
Atmwireless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
That's fair, I think times have changed, I started my AP relationship 7 years ago and the only watch I owned at that point was a Daytona which didn't help my case. Albeit those days they actually had inventory.
Throw in a good word for me :)

In a year I was able to get a sky dweller and a Pepsi from my Rolex ad because I really am interested in building my collection.

I’ve always loved the ap royal oak so I will for sure try and build a relationship.
Old 29 September 2022, 02:06 PM   #16
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

It never ceases to amaze me how people give up before the fight even starts. Success comes from within. It is earned, not given and should never be taken for granted.

By all means, please do not follow the words and sentiments of the downers but do listen to the ones that provide you with the positive encouragement. You have every damn chance to get that Royal Oak. Stay on path, be in contact with your SA and more importantly just genuinely be yourself with the right foot forward. There is no secret to it.

All the best, it will happen.
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 02:55 PM   #17
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Apple Watch
I got my Royal Oak without any prior purchase. Also not an athlete or celebrity. It just boils down to being genuine and being really interested in the brand and building a relationship. Now why build relationship? Because if you’re an SA, you want the pieces going to someone you know and trust instead of someone that is going to flip the watch quickly for profit.

I would suggest to just be positive and trust the process and once the signals are right then you will get an allocation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
westoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 03:08 PM   #18
Atmwireless
"TRF" Member

Thank you to all. Hope to post in this section soon enough
Old 30 September 2022, 12:43 AM   #19
wirru
"TRF" Member

Echoing what others have said. I’m neither a celebrity nor an athlete, yet have been fortunate to have purchased 5 pieces from the Rodeo boutique in less than 1.5 yr. Just be kind, genuine, and get to know your SA.
wirru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 03:31 AM   #20
psm11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmwireless View Post
Thank you to all. Hope to post in this section soon enough
Keep us posted! I have been working with the south coast plaza boutique but looking to make a switch to the BH store.
Old 30 September 2022, 05:57 AM   #21
gesus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Keep us posted! I have been working with the south coast plaza boutique but looking to make a switch to the BH store.
Good luck. I'm basically in the same boat. Haven't gone to the BH boutique, is it advisable to be shopping multiple stores?
gesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 06:29 AM   #22
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesus View Post
Good luck. I'm basically in the same boat. Haven't gone to the BH boutique, is it advisable to be shopping multiple stores?
Negative; you can of course visit multiple stores, but in the end you need one contact you want to work with. They all see your profile (assuming we're talking about boutiques, not one of the few remaining ADs). Unlike with e.g. Rolex, boutique-shopping will not increase your chances.
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 06:47 AM   #23
Mirek
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520 & 4100BA
The Beverly Hills location is cool, they let me roll right in without an appointment and had my Royal Oak 4100BA sent to the big house in Switzerland for a complete overhaul. I bought it used in Paris but have the paperwork, they did not even ask for it. Kimberly I think is her name. That said, nobody can tell me the new movement AP put in my watch - which is frustrating !

I brought my wife and daughter when I picked it up and she showed us the whole place and the (empty) automated Black Panther display case.
Mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 07:15 AM   #24
psm11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Negative; you can of course visit multiple stores, but in the end you need one contact you want to work with. They all see your profile (assuming we're talking about boutiques, not one of the few remaining ADs). Unlike with e.g. Rolex, boutique-shopping will not increase your chances.
Yes I should further clarify that the reason I am considering making a move is because my SA has gone cold on me at SCP (despite numerous follow ups) and not in an effort to shop multiple stores. The only reason I went to SCP to begin with was because the BH boutique was under construction and not open. Hoping there is an SA at the BH store that I really click with.
Old 30 September 2022, 01:17 PM   #25
bmaier
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14790ba
Idk...i love my SA (he is nice etc) at the BH boutique but i kinda feel like im getting led on at times. They invite me in to view 50th anniversary pieces and ask for my wishlist and nothing. I went in a few months later and they said they could allocate me something as long as its not some crazy piece like a skeleton, ceramic, or some other highly sought after model...gave them a few things i like- nothing. Idk what else to do at this point. My SA and i follow each other on IG and text regularly about new releases etc. He even says he can tell i am passionate about the brand as i buy vintage models, but that seemingly does nothing for me. Idk what to do at this point. All this while newbies are getting 50th anniversary models and I see others getting multiple watches in a year. I just dont get it.

OP i wouldn't say all hope is lost, but also dont get your hopes up
Old 30 September 2022, 01:36 PM   #26
Fifteen
Banned

Quote:
Yes I should further clarify that the reason I am considering making a move is because my SA has gone cold on me at SCP (despite numerous follow ups) and not in an effort to shop multiple stores. The only reason I went to SCP to begin with was because the BH boutique was under construction and not open. Hoping there is an SA at the BH store that I really click with.
Most of the SA’s from SCP recently got fired for taking bribes, including the manager.
Fifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 01:51 PM   #27
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaier View Post
Idk...i love my SA (he is nice etc) at the BH boutique but i kinda feel like im getting led on at times. They invite me in to view 50th anniversary pieces and ask for my wishlist and nothing. I went in a few months later and they said they could allocate me something as long as its not some crazy piece like a skeleton, ceramic, or some other highly sought after model...gave them a few things i like- nothing. Idk what else to do at this point. My SA and i follow each other on IG and text regularly about new releases etc. He even says he can tell i am passionate about the brand as i buy vintage models, but that seemingly does nothing for me. Idk what to do at this point. All this while newbies are getting 50th anniversary models and I see others getting multiple watches in a year. I just dont get it.

OP i wouldn't say all hope is lost, but also dont get your hopes up

I am sorry man. I have said this on other posts. I find it very weird how some people are getting 4-5 references a year while others who are clearly passionate collectors get told there isn't much to go around. I understand the need to please repeat customers but new customers have to be given a chance. And before someone claims I am just salty, I say this as someone who got 2 references this year, a RO and a Code.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 02:03 PM   #28
bmaier
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14790ba
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekman View Post
I am sorry man. I have said this on other posts. I find it very weird how some people are getting 4-5 references a year while others who are clearly passionate collectors get told there isn't much to go around. I understand the need to please repeat customers but new customers have to be given a chance. And before someone claims I am just salty, I say this as someone who got 2 references this year, a RO and a Code.
I get the purchase history helps but how am i supposed to get a purchase history if seemingly the same people are getting all the watches?? Like i want to be a repeat customer and they wont let me lol
Old 30 September 2022, 02:49 PM   #29
psm11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifteen View Post
Most of the SA’s from SCP recently got fired for taking bribes, including the manager.
Has this been confirmed? I heard this too but it seems my SA wasn’t part of it as they are still there (at least that is what I was told). Still, my follow have gone unanswered by my SA ever since I passed on a CODE (wasn’t one I wanted).
Old 30 September 2022, 02:53 PM   #30
anx21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaier View Post
I get the purchase history helps but how am i supposed to get a purchase history if seemingly the same people are getting all the watches?? Like i want to be a repeat customer and they wont let me lol
Do you have any codes/offshores on your wishlist or just Royal Oaks?
anx21 is offline   Reply With Quote