The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 October 2022, 04:17 AM   #31
haganaga
"TRF" Member

39mm MKII owner with 7” wrist here. I’m surprised there isn’t more love for the 39. I understand the history of the 36mm and absolutely agree for wrists < 7”, the 36 is probably better.

I previously owned a 36mm DJ smooth bezel and sold it after owning the Explorer for about 6 months. I greatly prefer the slightly bigger size of the 39mm. It just feels more “there” to me without being obnoxious like some bigger watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
haganaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 04:43 AM   #32
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

I prefer the 39mm as well.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 05:45 AM   #33
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haganaga View Post
39mm MKII owner with 7” wrist here. I’m surprised there isn’t more love for the 39. I understand the history of the 36mm and absolutely agree for wrists < 7”, the 36 is probably better.

I previously owned a 36mm DJ smooth bezel and sold it after owning the Explorer for about 6 months. I greatly prefer the slightly bigger size of the 39mm. It just feels more “there” to me without being obnoxious like some bigger watches.

When it was in production, the 39 was a watch I always tried really, really hard to like. I was still wearing a 40mm day-to-day then, but every time I tried it on, I just couldn't get around how much "dial" there was. Case size was fine, but it just wore too big because of the lack of bezel.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 12:29 PM   #34
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Wife and AD told me the 36 was too small. I agreed and passed. Really wanted to like it. 39 is perfect. My wife wants 36 TT. Def built more for her wrist. To each their own.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 09:29 PM   #35
Rolliepollie88
"TRF" Member

Just tried it on today, have owned the prior 39mm since 2020. I found it too small for my preference

Rolliepollie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 10:50 PM   #36
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolliepollie88 View Post
Just tried it on today, have owned the prior 39mm since 2020. I found it too small for my preference

Looks great on you - you do get used to it. I had a 39mm 214270 MK2 & once I got the 36mm 124270 wondered if I had made a mistake. However after a few days it looked normal to me and I prefer the comfort of the 124270 and gloss dial. What size wrist have you got out of interest?
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 10:53 PM   #37
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkholeninja View Post
I have a 7" wrist, so 36mm is on the smaller size for sure, but it's a more classy look compared to the 39mm version.

Mind you, I had a 47mm PAM 372 in my collection before, so I'm used to both big and small watches.

Nice pic!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 01:16 AM   #38
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Air-King
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddleSC View Post
I owned the 39mm MKII and then bought the new 124270 in 36mm. After six months it was apparent that I was never going to wear the 39mm anymore so I sold it. The 124270 for wrists at 7" and under is brilliant and has perfect balance. It is my most worn watch!

Basically what I did as well. I thought the mk2 39mm was the best watch ever made until I tried on the new 36mm Explorer.

I now own the steel and the two tone. I think the biggest thing that scares people off is the number "36mm." It sounds too small; it isn't. It sounds small and looks small in the hand....but on the wrist...perfection. I prefer the glossy black dial over the matte black on the 39. Better proportions. It also somehow looks vintage and modern at the same time.

To quote Monsieur Gustave "It's a masterpiece....the rest of this shit is worthless garbage."
MJ EXPLORER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 01:58 AM   #39
eespi003
Banned

I prefer the current Explorer.
eespi003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 12:05 AM   #40
SAP7
"TRF" Member

The 39 looks better when you stare down at your wrist. It is bigger so it appears to the best when compared to the 36, in this view type.

When the complete watch is seen in profile it is clear the proportions are all wrong. The bracelet doesn’t work with the watch. The ratios on the 39 are bad: the watch looks too big in profile and shots of it on the arm make it clear it’s not balanced. Two minutes with one on my arm and I could see it was off.

The 36 is just spot on. It has the “golden ratio” and this is clear just by looking, even if you didn’t know what that was! It’s a far better package and it works as a whole, better shown by looking in a mirror rather than down at your wrist top.
The 39 can’t hold a candle to it, suffering from the added issues of a poor bracelet and worse lume.

I’m on the list for a 36 and should have it by early next year latest.
SAP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 12:51 AM   #41
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAP7 View Post
The 39 looks better when you stare down at your wrist. It is bigger so it appears to the best when compared to the 36, in this view type.

When the complete watch is seen in profile it is clear the proportions are all wrong. The bracelet doesn’t work with the watch. The ratios on the 39 are bad: the watch looks too big in profile and shots of it on the arm make it clear it’s not balanced. Two minutes with one on my arm and I could see it was off.

The 36 is just spot on. It has the “golden ratio” and this is clear just by looking, even if you didn’t know what that was! It’s a far better package and it works as a whole, better shown by looking in a mirror rather than down at your wrist top.
The 39 can’t hold a candle to it, suffering from the added issues of a poor bracelet and worse lume.

I’m on the list for a 36 and should have it by early next year latest.
Having owned both models, I can’t see why you believe the 39mm has a poor bracelet and worse lume. The bracelet and clasp on them both appears to be the same good quality. If anything I preferred the 39mm bracelet as I was able to fit a Sub C half link to it which gave me the perfect fit. Both watches use Chromalight for the lume and if the 124270 lume is better than the 214270 lume, speaking as someone who wears the watch at night in bed, I have not noticed either to be better than the other.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 01:03 AM   #42
SAP7
"TRF" Member

I thought the 39 had hollow links, but I think I mixed that up with the previous 36.
Regardless, the balance is just wrong on the 39. It flatters to deceive, and there is a good reason the new version adheres to the ratio that is prevalent throughout the natural world.
The AR coating is a massive improvement.
It’s definitely better lume… more of it as well.
SAP7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 01:10 AM   #43
SliceTime
"TRF" Member

Although the dial does look perfect on the 36, is still looks great on the 39(mk2).

Two issues with the new 36 are:

The size of the bracelet. It looks like a child’s version of an oyster bracelet when viewing it on the inside of a 7” wrist.

The thickness. It’s thicker than the 39. Which means in some cases the 39 fits better under a shirt.

IMHO, the new 36 should have kept the 20mm bracelet at least.

When you hold the 36 it does feel more special and jewel-like, but less sporty that’s the 39.
SliceTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 07:59 AM   #44
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ocean 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SliceTime View Post

When you hold the 36 it does feel more special and jewel-like, but less sporty that’s the 39.
That’s a good way of describing it. 36mm feels more elegant, while 39mm more sporty.
Old 8 October 2022, 08:45 AM   #45
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

Had the 36mm and the 39mm… sold the 36. Way too small.

1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 09:44 AM   #46
Chrisjohn
"TRF" Member

My most worn watch... just saying
Chrisjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2022, 11:32 AM   #47
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
36 very balanced. but the 39mm is the collectible one bc of the discontinuation. So I'd still lean that way. Having a 36 makes me want the 1016
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 01:46 PM   #48
Rolliepollie88
"TRF" Member

I tried on the 36mm with my 39mm, personally the it felt too small, even though having the explorer text looks better at the top

Rolliepollie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2022, 04:03 PM   #49
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolliepollie88 View Post

I tried on the 36mm with my 39mm, personally the it felt too small, even though having the explorer text looks better at the top

From the picture, 36mm doesn’t actually look small on your wrist.
Old 17 October 2022, 04:19 PM   #50
Watch-Geek
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkholeninja View Post
From the picture, 36mm doesn’t actually look small on your wrist.
Haha I was going to say that, the 36 looks perfect on his wrist

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk
Watch-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 03:25 AM   #51
LA_LEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I to say that I prefer the 39 mm personally.

Old 24 October 2022, 05:02 PM   #52
Walkersun
"TRF" Member

I’ve been on “the list” for one of these things for over a year and a half now. I thought it might be slightly easier to get because they shrunk the size down, making it less desirable for some, and it’s not a Sub, GMT or Daytona. Still nothing but crickets from my AD.

Luckily, I have a friend who knows a flipper who got in over his head with a bunch of watches and panicked. So back in mid August, I was able to get the Explorer for retail, NO TAX!!!

Still waiting for “the call” from my AD.

Walkersun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2022, 05:50 PM   #53
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkersun View Post
I’ve been on “the list” for one of these things for over a year and a half now. I thought it might be slightly easier to get because they shrunk the size down, making it less desirable for some, and it’s not a Sub, GMT or Daytona. Still nothing but crickets from my AD.

Luckily, I have a friend who knows a flipper who got in over his head with a bunch of watches and panicked. So back in mid August, I was able to get the Explorer for retail, NO TAX!!!

Still waiting for “the call” from my AD.

Looks great I'm on the list for it as well. Had an opportunity to buy ref. 124273 at retail, but didn't go for it as I am not a fan of two-tone watches.
Old 24 October 2022, 05:52 PM   #54
sinkholeninja
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_LEC View Post
I to say that I prefer the 39 mm personally.

Loving the pup!