The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 September 2022, 08:59 PM   #31
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
As a huge fan of Rolex, very few watches are truly 'special.' They're made in mass-quantities, and are not overly appealing to the masses. That said, what IS special is how they can make you feel. No denying that the LV is merely a different bezel, but it makes YOU happy. At the end of the day, that's all that matters
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 09:05 PM   #32
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I like the green bezel. If you like it is special, I guess. All of this is a matter of taste and preferences. Color is in at the moment.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 09:13 PM   #33
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Excellent taste and pix Gary.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 09:20 PM   #34
Bill11783
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO, LV
Great photo. The green bezel does it for me. Much more wrist appeal than a black bezel sub.
Bill11783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 10:00 PM   #35
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I just like it. Some people don't. I particularly like the 116610LV, a unique watch which we will not see again, although a green dial is bound to reappear at some point.
I think we will see it again, just like we're seeing the kermit again, but there is no substitute for the original. I agree, the 116610LV is the one that is most special and unique of them all. The hulk is an incredible watch.

The others, less so. .
Old 29 September 2022, 10:03 PM   #36
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Smurf also crushes the 12 series version in case anybody was thinking of that thread…..
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 10:08 PM   #37
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Great pic OP!
I love all generations of the LV. Special watch in my eyes.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 10:22 PM   #38
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Controlit View Post
100% agree. If I didn't have one I wouldn't get how great it is. I had never seen one till I got an unexpected surprise...

On paper it makes no sense as it's just a different color bezel but it's gorgeous and I've gotten many compliments from non watch people on it.

A special watch.

Those that get it get it and those that don't don't.

Thank you and agree. To me what makes the watch is the contrast from the black dial to the green bezel. I have never been able to make any non-black dial stick for me. That includes the bluesy and datejust blue dial. I didn’t even like the black datejust as it looked grey in some light. I get why people like the different dials, but to me when I select a watch I select it for a specific color. The bluesy and hulk looks neon green and blue in the light which I really don’t like. How that makes it special for some, it makes it not an option for me. Everyone has their own definition of what watch makes it special. This one though is a true eye attracting fantastic watch.
Old 29 September 2022, 10:27 PM   #39
Grandsport
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509
I wish I had kept mine as I purchase several back in the day. LV is a favorite.
Grandsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 10:27 PM   #40
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
It’s always been special to me. The original from Feb 2004

And my newest LV from April 2022

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Might be the best pick of the 126610LV - wow!
Old 29 September 2022, 11:37 PM   #41
Crown.and.Crest
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomo View Post
Great pic!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
Jocke has some competition!
Haha - not trying to start a competition, but I'll take that as a compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickMP View Post
The Sub is the best, most iconic watch Rolex makes. The LV adds something special, and sets it apart from the all black
Appreciate the thoughts! It's crazy to think how such a small change (the injection of color) can create strong opinions about it on both sides of the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Great thread! To me it means getting the pinnacle of my favorite reference the SS submariner. I never thought I would be without a black sub. But if I liked the submariner so much, why not get one that is more unique? The green is the Rolex green, it is special. And the evolution of submariner to get to the current 41 version, with its traditional elements with a modern bracelet puts if over the top for me. The contrast between the black dial and green ceramic bezel is very cool, it really pops. Many people that don’t notice watches notice the LV. It really stands out. Fantastic watch.
Thank you, and thank you for the thoughts! I think this captures a lot of the allure of the LV, regardless of generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshame View Post
Congrats on your LV. I have the LN and it's a keeper, so I don't think I'll ever get the LV, but I do agree that the green bezel feels just a little more special than mine.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddyspaghetti View Post
It literally is just a colored bezel.. If the green bezel was the standard bezel and the black bezel was the “limited” one, people would go crazy for the black one and attach all these “special” feelings towards it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
This ^^^^
Interesting take and appreciate the thoughts! There's certainly an argument that its popularity is driven solely by the "limited" nature and we're all fooling ourselves that the green adds anything significant.

Quote:
No one outside of the Rolex watch world knows which one is more limited. But I can tell you no one ever noticed the all black sub in years of owning it, but in just weeks many have said to me how much they like the LV. Most people could care less of the status, just visually what is more appealing. There are 1000s of all black watches, Rolex or other brands. The green stands out regardless of the limited status.
Appreciate the feedback, it's entirely possible that the combination of green+black has some allure based solely on the visual component!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post
Meh,,,,,
Haha - I take it from your username that the 126610LV is a big disappointment compared to the 116610LV? I can't fault you for that!

Quote:
Thats my point.. it’s just a green bezel. It would also stand out if it was red or pink. Not sure i understand the “specialness” the op is referring to.

For what its worth, i love the 12lv. But i also have the awareness that it’s just a green bezel lol
Exactly! The current model is just a green bezel. The "special" quality is just how it makes someone feel, I think. For some, it's not special at all. For others, it may have something to do with the connection to rolex green? A simple visual appeal? Appreciate the thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The original 16610LV is the only special, anniversary Sub for me. It is the most collectible discontinued model from the past 20 years. The last variation is still being made - a Johnny-come-lately.
Fair take! The 5 digit LV certainly carries a lot of weight in my book, if for no other reason than it being the first!

Quote:
I know what you are saying, but it is also that the green and black look so good together. It is not typical, it is different and unique.
Appreciate the thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. K View Post
Very nice picture .

The LV is a bit more rare. A splash of color. Some won't like it. But I do.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
We can use the same argument for most of Rolex’s refs. I mean the Hulk is just a green painted dial and green coloured bezel. But people exalt it like it’s made of emeralds. You can make the point that the Hulk is special not because of its rarity, but because it is the first green dial Sub in Rolex’s history. And likewise, you can say that the 126610LV is special because it’s the first ceramic green bezel/black dial combo in Rolex’s history
I think this has some truth to it, we all assign some level of subjective value to unique things about a watch/model. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder with all watches, and that's part of the fun of the hobby overall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
LV means this to me.

For photogs a Canon Powershot G9.
Great photo!

Quote:
I am not seeing a good pix is there a link I am missing?

BTW that’s at best an LVC.
Apologies, by LVC do you mean LV Ceramic? And are you not able to see the embedded image?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionwatch View Post
The LV is one of my favorite Rolex watch, I have one in my collection I’m not even thinking of letting go anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Appreciate the thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowalkway View Post
Lovely watch but the hulk is the special one. Green bezel has been done before. Green dial… only on the hulk
Fair point, the 116610LV definitely rises above the pack in a lot of ways! If the dials are what make the difference for you, I completely understand why the Hulk would be the winner for you. The sunburst dials are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWoodster View Post
I don't think it's that special. In fact what it does is make the black submariner even less special.

I like mine, but I don't put too much excitement behind it.
Fair take, at the end of the day for many it's just a sub with some green on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
I just like it. Some people don't. I particularly like the 116610LV, a unique watch which we will not see again, although a green dial is bound to reappear at some point.
Appreciate the thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree but hype sells Rolex watches today and many buy the hype to wear it. Same for the so called flat four font on original 16610LV hyped mainly by the varies sellers on the likes of social media. And now bring crazy money for those willing to pay, same for GMT watches with the cal 3186 or so called mistake dials.
Certainly an argument to be made that the desirability is predominantly driven by hype. That said, if it's special to some - I'm happy for them!

Quote:
100% agree. If I didn't have one I wouldn't get how great it is. I had never seen one till I got an unexpected surprise...

On paper it makes no sense as it's just a different color bezel but it's gorgeous and I've gotten many compliments from non watch people on it.

A special watch.

Those that get it get it and those that don't don't.

Appreciate the thoughts! This definitely gets to my je ne sais quoi point - it's indescribable for some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Exactly…. Hulk is special…..new LV not special
Fair take, I think many consider the 116610LV to be the superior choice!

Quote:
All of our children are special.
Haha - is this a reference to something? Or are our watches our children ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome to the forum and great photo OP
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domi1 View Post
great photo mate! perfection!
Thank you very much!
Crown.and.Crest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2022, 11:47 PM   #42
Crown.and.Crest
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
It’s always been special to me. The original from Feb 2004

And my newest LV from April 2022

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Love this! Always love hearing the perspective from someone who owns/has owned across the generations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
As a huge fan of Rolex, very few watches are truly 'special.' They're made in mass-quantities, and are not overly appealing to the masses. That said, what IS special is how they can make you feel. No denying that the LV is merely a different bezel, but it makes YOU happy. At the end of the day, that's all that matters
Couldn't agree more! My question was about exactly that, the subjective "specialness." I think it's valuable to remember this hobby is about fun at the end of the day, it can be easy to take it too seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I like the green bezel. If you like it is special, I guess. All of this is a matter of taste and preferences. Color is in at the moment.
Very true - especially green!

Quote:
Excellent taste and pix Gary.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill11783 View Post
Great photo. The green bezel does it for me. Much more wrist appeal than a black bezel sub.
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
I think we will see it again, just like we're seeing the kermit again, but there is no substitute for the original. I agree, the 116610LV is the one that is most special and unique of them all. The hulk is an incredible watch.

The others, less so. .
Fair take! The 16610LV is something to behold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Smurf also crushes the 12 series version in case anybody was thinking of that thread…..
Interesting comparison to the 126619LB (at least I think that's what the smurf is - I'm not super up to date on the nicknames) - a watch with similarly minimal visual differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Great pic OP!
I love all generations of the LV. Special watch in my eyes.
Thank you!

Quote:
Thank you and agree. To me what makes the watch is the contrast from the black dial to the green bezel. I have never been able to make any non-black dial stick for me. That includes the bluesy and datejust blue dial. I didn’t even like the black datejust as it looked grey in some light. I get why people like the different dials, but to me when I select a watch I select it for a specific color. The bluesy and hulk looks neon green and blue in the light which I really don’t like. How that makes it special for some, it makes it not an option for me. Everyone has their own definition of what watch makes it special. This one though is a true eye attracting fantastic watch.
Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder! I love both the 116610LV and 126610LV for very different reasons. The 126610LV certainly seems to have the "goldilocks" amount of color for many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandsport View Post
I wish I had kept mine as I purchase several back in the day. LV is a favorite.
Never too late to get another! Appreciate the feedback!
Crown.and.Crest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 04:10 AM   #43
Little machines
"TRF" Member

Nice photo !
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 04:16 AM   #44
"TRF" Member

Very nice mate. Would love to add to the collection at some point
124060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 05:36 AM   #45
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
It literally is just a colored bezel.. If the green bezel was the standard bezel and the black bezel was the “limited” one, people would go crazy for the black one and attach all these “special” feelings towards it.
LOL. When the "hulk" came out (that's the green on green ceramic) Rolex couldn't give them away and you could easily get one at a discount.

Then rumors started about it being discontinued, and the value or rather, the price rocketed. Then it really did get discontinued and now it's just ridiculous.

But it's still just a green watch that doesn't go with most of my outfits.

Yes, I had one, and yes, I sold it before the hype kicked in.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 07:49 AM   #46
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I really like the new green Sub. It's not as bold as the Hulk, and not as ubiquitous as a black Sub, which they have been making in some fashion for 60 years. It's got a little splash of color, but not too much.
Old 30 September 2022, 07:58 AM   #47
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykii View Post
I understand what you mean, and I agree with you on all counts.

I chose my words carefully because we probably will see a green bezel/green dial Sub Date again. We probably won't see it in 40mm. It will probably have thinner lugs than the Hulk. It will have AR coated sapphire and it won't have a 31 based movement. For me, the last part is significant. I love the smooth feel and silence of the 31.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 08:09 AM   #48
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
LOL. When the "hulk" came out (that's the green on green ceramic) Rolex couldn't give them away and you could easily get one at a discount.

Then rumors started about it being discontinued, and the value or rather, the price rocketed. Then it really did get discontinued and now it's just ridiculous.

But it's still just a green watch that doesn't go with most of my outfits.

Yes, I had one, and yes, I sold it before the hype kicked in.
I posted a similar view in another thread a few moments go. I’ll paste it on here as well

It's funny how history repeats itself. Not a lot liked the 5 digit LV initially and now its very sought after. Likewise, not a lot wanted to touch the Hulk for many years while it sat on display at the AD's. It only gained popularity recently - especially after its discontinuation and its price skyrocketing. And now we have the 126 series LV that also seems to have its own naysayers. You can argue all you want that its different this time around, but I can bet you that in just a few short years from now; the same lot will find a reason to praise the same watch they called un-special a few years earlier
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2022, 09:18 AM   #49
JParm

Watch: Yes!
This is THE LV in my opinion.

Have had it since early 2017 and it has not lust a single ounce of its luster.

So yeah...pretty special in my book.

JParm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 09:35 AM   #50
Bazil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Nicknames �
It’s special to me and I feel privileged wearing it .. never get tired of looking at it .. gets plenty of attention too many compliments .. awesome pic btw

Some people cause happiness wherever they go ; and others whenever they go ..
Bazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2022, 09:52 AM   #51
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
It’s special to me and I feel privileged wearing it .. never get tired of looking at it .. gets plenty of attention too many compliments .. awesome pic btw
Well said…exactly
Old 1 October 2022, 11:07 AM   #52
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
I am not seeing a good pix is there a link I am missing?

BTW that’s at best an LVC.
Apologies, by LVC do you mean LV Ceramic? And are you not able to see the embedded image?

Yes LVCeramic.

I can only see the posted pix on my iPad with no embedded image?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 12:00 AM   #53
nr1416
"TRF" Member

For me the new LV is the best of all LVs. The Sunburst Invicta dial of the Hulk never did it for me. As much as I love 5 digit references, I'm not a fan of the lime green or shade of green on the original Kermit.

If you only have 1 watch then the Black Sub is probably the way to go, it's truly the most versatile watch. If you have a collection then the LV is great to add that perfect dash of Rolex green to the iconic Sub.

Screenshot_20221001_100016.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
nr1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 12:03 AM   #54
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Adds a bit of pizzazz to the regular Sub Date. I would have preferred it with a mild sunburst deep green dial.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 12:03 AM   #55
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr1416 View Post
For me the new LV is the best of all LVs. The Sunburst Invicta dial of the Hulk never did it for me. As much as I love 5 digit references, I'm not a fan of the lime green or shade of green on the original Kermit.Attachment 1322045

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Great shot! I was never interested in the previous SubLV either. Didn’t like how the dial looked neon light green in the sunlight. When the 12LV came out and saw the photos I really liked it. Bought it and in person it is amazing.
Old 2 October 2022, 01:53 AM   #56
bp1000
"TRF" Member

This is 10 years old now.

Very special to me

Only 1 or 2 other watches In my collection that has more important memories.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 02:10 AM   #57
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrell View Post
great thread! To me it means getting the pinnacle of my favorite reference the ss submariner. I never thought i would be without a black sub. But if i liked the submariner so much, why not get one that is more unique? The green is the rolex green, it is special. And the evolution of submariner to get to the current 41 version, with its traditional elements with a modern bracelet puts if over the top for me. The contrast between the black dial and green ceramic bezel is very cool, it really pops. Many people that don’t notice watches notice the lv. It really stands out. Fantastic watch.
+1.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 02:11 AM   #58
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
I saw all three generations before buying this one. This one felt the most special to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 October 2022, 02:38 AM   #59
jw0n
"TRF" Member

For me, this is the most special LV.

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 02:46 AM   #60
bnsxn
Banned

The LV definitely has a certain je ne sais quoi, to me it's just a touch of class. it is by far my favourite and a remarkable watch which every man should have in his collection.
bnsxn is offline   Reply With Quote