The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 October 2022, 11:41 PM   #1
60sec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126500, AP RO
Popularity: BLNR vs BLRO

Hi all,
Curious to get your opinion. It has always seemed that the BLRO was the more popular, sought after watch, when compared to the BLNR. However, lately, in reading random posts my own anecdotal, subjective, non-scientific sense is that the BLNR popularity is gaining some steam. I personally have a BLNR on jubilee and couldn’t be happier. I can really appreciate the beauty and history of the BLRO, but have always felt the colors were a bit off when compared to the original. I realize secondary market values indicate the BLRO is still more desired, but what is your feeling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60sec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2022, 11:47 PM   #2
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I think the BLRO is still more popular. It is the original GMT, with the blue and red. I personally do not like it. The colors on ceramic are just off to me. I also never wanted red on a watch, so never liked the pre-ceramic models either. I think the BLNR looks better, it is just as simple as that for me. I also want to have a “blue” watch and the BLNR is the best blue I believe Rolex makes. Also have mine on Jubilee, it is an amazing watch. But I get why someone would like the BLRO better. The history, it also pops with color, it is a very cool watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 72BBF1D6-C106-4AE8-ABBA-151A1FF53CF2.jpeg (164.5 KB, 1016 views)
Old 2 October 2022, 11:50 PM   #3
Beginner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Anything ticks!
IMHO, it is relative since we are comparing between the 2 (BLRO and BLNR).

So if it’s between the 2, I prefer the BLRO.

But I want both.
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 12:03 AM   #4
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

BLRO for me 100%

But just get both :)

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 12:03 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I owned both. I never bonded with the color scheme of the BLNR. Its one of those watches that looks better in pictures than in real life (to me).

EDIT: so here I post a crappy quality picture lol

The BLRO is the one for me, but I realize some don't like the ceramic insert colors

20220106_133512.jpgIMG_20181128_082834_461.jpg20211214_114922.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 12:20 AM   #6
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
The BLRO is more popular

Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 12:38 AM   #7
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sec View Post
Hi all,
Curious to get your opinion. It has always seemed that the BLRO was the more popular, sought after watch, when compared to the BLNR. However, lately, in reading random posts my own anecdotal, subjective, non-scientific sense is that the BLNR popularity is gaining some steam. I personally have a BLNR on jubilee and couldn’t be happier. I can really appreciate the beauty and history of the BLRO, but have always felt the colors were a bit off when compared to the original. I realize secondary market values indicate the BLRO is still more desired, but what is your feeling?

Try to get both the way to go
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 01535584-3114-4363-82E2-FDD89868B7DE.jpeg (264.5 KB, 946 views)
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
time_and_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 01:30 AM   #8
Booth9999
"TRF" Member

BLNR is the watch that drew me in without knowing anything about Rolex. Blue and black for me, but I’m also going to get BLRO in PM next year in my plan.
Booth9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 01:42 AM   #9
BankAnden
"TRF" Member

I agree - really like the clear blue on the BLNR, whilst the burgundy/purple has gone off track from what a Pepsi should be
BankAnden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 01:44 AM   #10
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_and_cars View Post
Try to get both the way to go
To my eyes the BLNR looks so much better! I am at the Steelers game and showed them this photo, and asked the people I am with that have no knowledge of watches. All of them said the BLNR without question. I think there are two different views. One that knows the history and likes the BLRO and others that just like the great blue and black.
Old 3 October 2022, 01:48 AM   #11
Watchsprings
"TRF" Member

I want both! BLRO is harder to get (more popular) according to my AD.
Watchsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 01:53 AM   #12
CanPam
"TRF" Member

I've had the BLNR on Oyster when it was released some years ago and let it go after a very short time because I was a little bit bored.
When I saw it the first time on the Jubilee bracelet I felt immediately in love with it and prefer it over the ceramic Pepsi bezel.
For me the Batgirl is now one of my Top 3 Rolex models.
Old 3 October 2022, 01:55 AM   #13
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
BLRO is the classic color way, BLNR is the better executed watch.

I have owned both, I now only own the BLNR. I found that the BLRO becomes extremely boring, quickly.

The BLNR is my pick, but if Rolex can ever get the pepsi colors right, it would be a closer fight.

That said, I do believe another underappreciated point is that the BLNR is one of Rolex's few modern classics.

BLNR wins this fight for me.
Old 3 October 2022, 02:01 AM   #14
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Popularity: BLNR vs BLRO

Having owned all of them - ( recently added the BLRO). There is no doubt the BLRO is the clear winner between the two.

I didn’t enjoy how much the BLNR stands out in an all black watch (jubilee helps and I echo someone above saying the jubilee “batgirl” version is the way to go on BLNR).

The history, the difficulty of making a bicolor bezel (black doesn’t count) and therefore leading to the lower production number - all adds the BLRO to “one of the best Rolex” list for me.

The real question for me is BLRO or VTNR - I love green and I love the quirkiness of the VTNR. Time will tell which one I wear more - but the BLRO is certainly one of the best Rolex in the current line up. It certainly makes the top 3 professional stainless models list.

thecrownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 02:05 AM   #15
SFOB
Banned

I use to have a BLNR on Oyster when it was released some years ago and sold it afterwards.
However, I loved it on the Jubilee bracelet and preferred it over the ceramic Pepsi bezel.
For me, im sure you know my take on this.
SFOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 02:08 AM   #16
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth9999 View Post
BLNR is the watch that drew me in without knowing anything about Rolex. Blue and black for me, but I’m also going to get BLRO in PM next year in my plan.

Good plan :)

Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 02:16 AM   #17
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

I think the BLNR is what catches most peoples eye more, especially if they are not well versed in rolex history. The blue and black just pops.

But if you are into heritage and history etc, then it's hard to knock the pepsi even in spite of its terrible colors.

Before getting my first Rolex, I personally felt the BLNR was the tippy top piece for me.
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 02:18 AM   #18
Pinchy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrownprince View Post
The history, the difficulty of making a bicolor bezel (black doesn’t count) and therefore leading to the lower production number - all adds the BLRO to “one of the best Rolex” list for me.
Mrmm doubt.... My AD says the pepsi is delivered about 3 for every BLNR.
Pinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 02:19 AM   #19
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
When I get my BLRO I'll let you know. For now my BLNR is tops.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 02:22 AM   #20
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Having owned all of them - ( recently added the BLRO). There is no doubt the BLRO is the clear winner between the two.

I didn’t enjoy how much the BLNR stands out in an all black watch (jubilee helps and I echo someone above saying the jubilee “batgirl” version is the way to go on BLNR).

The real question for me is BLRO or VTNR - I love green and I love the quirkiness of the VTNR. Time will tell which one I wear more - but the BLRO is certainly one of the best Rolex in the current line up. It certainly makes the top 3 professional stainless models list.

VTNR is a left handed watch. No comparison to the BLRN in my opinion, unless of course you are left handed. I also have the SubLV which to my eyes is way better than the VTNR.
Old 3 October 2022, 02:41 AM   #21
thecrownprince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
VTNR is a left handed watch. No comparison to the BLRN in my opinion, unless of course you are left handed. I also have the SubLV which to my eyes is way better than the VTNR.

Makes no difference to me destro or not - the watch wears better than standard righty pieces because the crown doesn’t dig into my left wrist. I have the LV and its not something I grab often. Mostly it’s the LN or one of the GMT. I find having dual time zone is the most important feature (for me) in a daily watch.
thecrownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 02:45 AM   #22
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
An 11 series BLNR in 2017 brought me back to Rolex after a six year absence. My SA had to convince me when the BLRO was announced to be one of his two initial allocations. When I took delivery 7 months later I sold the BLNR three weeks later, I knew I preferred the BLRO and can’t see having two watches so similar.
ArtNouveau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 02:49 AM   #23
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Makes no difference to me destro or not - the watch wears better than standard righty pieces because the crown doesn’t dig into my left wrist. I have the LV and its not something I grab often. Mostly it’s the LN or one of the GMT. I find having dual time zone is the most important feature (for me) in a daily watch.
The date is under the sleeve, it is meant for left handers. I have never had a watch that digs into my left wrist. I don’t even know what they means. Flip it and it digs into the arm! A true destro would have the date window on the right side. If that was an issue that would have been addressed years ago. How the heck do you change the date or time with it is on the left arm? Arm behind the head? Odd looking watch!
Old 3 October 2022, 02:52 AM   #24
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
I own both. IMHO…

The BLNR is the top choice for everyday wear. Mostly black with a touch of blue.

The BLRO looks best with suit. Also looks better in the case. I’ve never seen a friend or acquaintance who wears the modern BLRO and it doesn’t look like the watch is wearing them. I’m wary of this so do not wear BLRO as much.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 02:56 AM   #25
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
It's hard to say which is generally more popular. Most people that I speak to who are not watch enthusiasts seem to prefer the BLNR. However, on average, those who know the history seem to prefer the BLRO over the BLNR.

I would say the BLNR has more mass appeal and the BLRO has more niche appeal (again on average). I was told by my AD that the BLNR replaced the LN as the "standard GMT" and the BLRO was that added bit of special much like sub LN versus sub LV.

All of this is speculation, but anecdotally, I was offered the BLNR twice within 1 year of waiting for my BLRO.

Both are great watches, but BLRO is like getting a re-release of the OG Chicago Jordan 1 (not necessarily the nicest or most wearable sneaker, but the OG), whereas the BLNR is like having a desirable but new colour way, for those who understand the sneaker reference.

Something about having a call back to the OG hits different, regardless of which one is actually more aesthetically pleasing.
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 03:11 AM   #26
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg18 View Post
It's hard to say which is generally more popular. Most people that I speak to who are not watch enthusiasts seem to prefer the BLNR. However, on average, those who know the history seem to prefer the BLRO over the BLNR.

I would say the BLNR has more mass appeal and the BLRO has more niche appeal (again on average). I was told by my AD that the BLNR replaced the LN as the "standard GMT" and the BLRO was that added bit of special much like sub LN versus sub LV.

All of this is speculation, but anecdotally, I was offered the BLNR twice within 1 year of waiting for my BLRO.

Both are great watches, but BLRO is like getting a re-release of the OG Chicago Jordan 1 (not necessarily the nicest or most wearable sneaker, but the OG), whereas the BLNR is like having a desirable but new colour way, for those who understand the sneaker reference.

Something about having a call back to the OG hits different, regardless of which one is actually more aesthetically pleasing.
Great comparison! As a Jordan shoe collector I get it.
Old 3 October 2022, 03:43 AM   #27
S.Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollie
BLRO for me, it's more playful / younger looking.
S.Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 03:50 AM   #28
harvey
"TRF" Member

BLRO, end of discussion…
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 03:55 AM   #29
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
BLRO for the win!!
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2022, 03:57 AM   #30
JRell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
BLRO, end of discussion…
Unless you are me, then BLNR and end of discussion! That’s how it goes. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That BLRO blue is rough on my eyes.