The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 September 2006, 01:15 AM   #1
Cliffhanger
"TRF" Member

Hello from Singapore!

Just been reminded by the forum administrator after loggin-on tonite (a.m. in the US now, I believe) that I have not made my first post...so here it is:-

Hi there,

My name's Clifford, from the very tiny island of Singapore, a country in Asia located on the southern tip of 2 larger countries up north - Malaysia and Thailand.

I'd found this forum after buying my first rolex - an F-series Sea Dweller. I was actually scouting around for a Submariner and believe me, the Sub was out of stock in all the watch shops around here in the autumn of 2005! Not wanting to wait till December, I got a SD instead and my, after visiting this forum, I had no regrets at all!

My other watches are a 3-year old Tag Heuer link chronograph in full steel (got it after watching a Tiger Woods advert); and I just acquired a Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Double Retrograde in stainless steel.

Guess that is about all I've to say for now and thanks to the forum founders for this informative website, and I just love those jokes!

Cheers to all!

CliffHanger
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 01:38 AM   #2
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Welcome aboard, Cliffhanger. Glad you were able to hang there long enough to find our merry mad house. Stick around and post some more. And do post some pics of the SD. We love pics around here.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 01:38 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Welcome to TRF Cliffhanger been to Singapore myself many times,bought my second SD there.In the shopping arcade next to the Rolex service centre great city.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 01:53 AM   #4
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Welcome to TRF, Clifford, glad you stopped in You have some nice watches there, pics would be great if you can Stick around and enjoy the fun. We look forward to hearing more from you
Old 23 September 2006, 03:09 AM   #5
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Hello Clifford and welcome to TRF. I've been to Singapore a couple of times and enjoyed immensely. The last time we stayed at Raffles and were treated like kings. I hope to go back some day.

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 04:47 AM   #6
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Cliffhanger,

Welcome to TRF.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2006, 10:53 AM   #7
mailman

Watch: 126610LN
Hi Clifford and welcome to TRF How about some pics of your watches? We love pictures around here.
Old 23 September 2006, 02:06 PM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
Hi Clifford and welcome to TRF How about some pics of your watches? We love pictures around here.
Yeah, right!! We all know what kinda pictures you like, ya tosser!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 23 September 2006, 06:23 PM   #9
mailman

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Yeah, right!! We all know what kinda pictures you like, ya tosser!!
I'd say the same as you but without the wool
Old 23 September 2006, 07:08 PM   #10
Cliffhanger
"TRF" Member

Thank you, thank you!!!

Haha...hello all again

Many thanks to you all for the warm welcome, really felt honoured!

Will get pics of my watches posted up here sometime, just can't get this old notebook of mine to install the camera software properly

padi56 and Uncle-AJ, glad that you like this small city...do drop by again, all you, and I'll definitely be there when you touch down. And oh, about Raffles Hotel, it's the top hotel in this country, the service just has to be No.1!!!

Cheers!
CliffHanger
Old 23 September 2006, 07:18 PM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post
I'd say the same as you but without the wool

Old 24 September 2006, 01:35 PM   #12
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Ay Cliff, ho seh boh?

Do post more often - Singapore's easily one of the most watch-enthused places around, and what with shops like Monster Time and Passions, I'm sure many of our members would love to know what's happening over there!
Old 24 September 2006, 07:05 PM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
Ay Cliff, ho seh boh?

Do post more often - Singapore's easily one of the most watch-enthused places around, and what with shops like Monster Time and Passions, I'm sure many of our members would love to know what's happening over there!
Pray...do tell, Doc!!

Old 24 September 2006, 07:26 PM   #14
Cliffhanger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
Ay Cliff, ho seh boh?

Hey mod, you must have stayed in Sgp long enough to learn that phrase I'm ho seh, man!

Yeah, I have to agree with you that there are people here who collect watches like collecting unique postage stamps...that during the Asian financial crisis around 1997 right up to the Iraq war and the region's SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) epidemic thereafter - where lots of businesses from Audemars Piguet to Zenith (I mean A-Z..heez) went belly up one after another- the watch industry is still thriving, apparently with good support from these "elite" group of watch collectors...

Even now, an expensive (and classy) watch is a must have for professionals here...it's a prestige thingy, gosh!

Monster Time and Passions are the bigger and more popular 2nd hand watch shops here, but the watches they have are in mint condition, really, and affordable too.

The other shops dealing in brand new top notch watches - some are listed companies here - are The Hour Glass Ltd, Sincere Watch Ltd, Cortina Watch and Dickson Watch, to name a few.

Now this, for Rolexes, one normally do not have to go to these shops, as the discounts they offer are, for some reason, limited. Usually a visit to the more "cheena" sounding shops can save you a few hundred more, if you know which ones and you must bargain hard enough. But you gotta be careful, though, as some of these shops could be the same guys who had over-charged your friends a few months ago!

Take for example my SD, I got it (brand new) from this shop at S$6,300 when another quoted me S$7,295 "best price"!!!

Similarly, my recently acquired ML cost me S$6,000 flat when others quoted me from S$7,200 to S$9,240. I came to know later that $9,240 was the "opening price" for tourists, and some of them do bite at that price.

Let's hope I don't get served with a writ after writing all these!

Cheers!
CliffHanger

Last edited by Cliffhanger; 24 September 2006 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 27 September 2006, 02:30 PM   #15
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Hey Cliff,

Yup, born in Singapore, finished my NS and then came over to Melbourne!

Hey, you got a better deal than your SD than I did. MSRP at the time was S$7280, and I got mine for S$6650. And yeah, the guy at Hour Glass shrugged his shoulders and said that he couldn't budge from full MSRP.

I agree the AD shops with names like "How Yoo Hung" are much better places to get a bargain. I remember walking into a place in Chinatown and the lady behind the counter started with something like S$13,000 for a TT Daytona and looked like she expected me to start bargaining.

Anyway, glad to see you made it here and I look forward to your posts!
Old 27 September 2006, 03:12 PM   #16
pensivedoc
"TRF" Member

Welcome, Cliff.
pensivedoc is offline   Reply With Quote