The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 June 2019, 08:09 AM   #1
Blah114aa
Banned

Watch: Iphone
Pre owned hulk sub

There isn’t much to say. I visited a store today and they had recently received a hulk in trade, box and papers etc. I’d post pics but we’ve seen them before. [edit.. I added pics]

I didn’t intend to buy the piece but paid slightly above retail... actually 1000 usd above msrp. I’ve bought from this place before.

We went to lunch and talked, then returned after visiting and bought the hulk. I really appreciate its utility and beauty. It’s got the utility of the black sub but the unique green dial to slightly differentiate itself from other pieces. It’s extremely legible as well, moreso maybe than my two tone blue, at least after a few hours of wear. The resale doesn’t hurt, but I really have fallen for this piece. Comically I passed on it several times years ago at msrp.... I don’t see any downside in purchasing this piece. It will retain value, look beautiful, and fly under the timepiece radar .. most won’t know what it is and others will think it’s a fake. I’m a giant fan of the 166xxlv.... I’ll call it “the hulk.”

I now understand why people herein adore the piece. It’s rugged, colorful, reliable, valuable to the right crowd, legible, wearable in any situation.... and yet green in color. I can see wearing this more than the Pepsi gmt or my other pieces. For me, it’s a sleeper. I am ecstatic I bought this even above retail. I don’t fault the dealer for selling above msrp... they discounted off their asking price a bit , which they didn’t have to do.

I ask also, “are these selling for 14 and above gray...” I’m not selling mine, but the market is a bit nutty as we all know. I can see now what the appeal is. It’s so legible and brilliant in sunlight.... but not noticed likely either. What a nice time piece. I worried about scuffing my two tone in everyday wear but this new piece will be more wearable I suspect.
Blah114aa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2019, 08:23 AM   #2
Blah114aa
Banned

Pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D7DBEC55-B7EF-4857-A891-B82C7DAF01C4.jpeg (248.4 KB, 700 views)
File Type: jpeg BB48F23F-9D96-47E6-915A-A9AD1C1AFF6C.jpeg (244.0 KB, 699 views)
File Type: jpeg 9B8AC80F-1993-4077-AB3D-9C81671CFF04.jpeg (227.2 KB, 699 views)
Old 2 June 2019, 08:36 AM   #3
Blah114aa
Banned

Simple and elegant...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 49A81718-3996-4E74-8196-0F474D3167C1.jpeg (246.2 KB, 692 views)
Old 3 June 2019, 12:15 AM   #4
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Very nice

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2019, 07:04 AM   #5
Blah114aa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Very nice

I like that, "if you wind it, it will run."
Old 4 June 2019, 07:52 AM   #6
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah114aa View Post
I like that, "if you wind it, it will run."

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2019, 09:26 PM   #7
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2019, 07:44 AM   #8
kev1nchoi
"TRF" Member

Awesome
kev1nchoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2019, 08:54 AM   #9
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
Congratulations and enjoy...
JoseR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2019, 12:26 AM   #10
Blah114aa
Banned

A few weeks later and I can’t stop wearing the hulk sub...I like that it’s black in certain light, but green in other light.. I’ve worn it with suits and jeans... it never fails to amaze me.

If anyone is considering a sub, I’d recommend the green dial hulk version. Admittedly one can’t go wrong with the traditional black dial either, or the bluesy. My one concern is my bracelet is rather scuffed, and was not be me. I bought pre owned. That said, I can always get a new bracelet later in life. The bezel and crystal are pristine.

Does anyone care to comment about buying a new bracelet from an AD. Beyond pricing .. does a new bracelet diminish the value of a modern Rolex? I can’t fathom it would lower the value. Would anyone even know if bracelets are replaced, much less care? I’m speaking of an AD doing the replacing. Would this be part of the watch’s history in records?
Old 10 August 2019, 03:47 PM   #11
IsaakZ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah114aa View Post
A few weeks later and I can’t stop wearing the hulk sub...I like that it’s black in certain light, but green in other light.. I’ve worn it with suits and jeans... it never fails to amaze me.

If anyone is considering a sub, I’d recommend the green dial hulk version. Admittedly one can’t go wrong with the traditional black dial either, or the bluesy. My one concern is my bracelet is rather scuffed, and was not be me. I bought pre owned. That said, I can always get a new bracelet later in life. The bezel and crystal are pristine.

Does anyone care to comment about buying a new bracelet from an AD. Beyond pricing .. does a new bracelet diminish the value of a modern Rolex? I can’t fathom it would lower the value. Would anyone even know if bracelets are replaced, much less care? I’m speaking of an AD doing the replacing. Would this be part of the watch’s history in records?
My opinion is it’s all part of the history of the watch. I was lucky enough to find a GMT from Syria with original stickers still on but the scratches and dents are all there from previous owner I appreciated the history of the watch and that it travelled all the way from the other side of the world into my hands for an amazing price. (Pretty much retail)

Wear it till the links break than think about changing the bracelet.
IsaakZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 August 2019, 12:09 PM   #12
Blah114aa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaakZ View Post
My opinion is it’s all part of the history of the watch. I was lucky enough to find a GMT from Syria with original stickers still on but the scratches and dents are all there from previous owner I appreciated the history of the watch and that it travelled all the way from the other side of the world into my hands for an amazing price. (Pretty much retail)

Wear it till the links break than think about changing the bracelet.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. That’s what I’d decided too. Thank you.

I really enjoy wearing the hulk. Still ! Congrats on your gmt
Old 21 August 2019, 03:53 AM   #13
liveralone
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats
liveralone is offline   Reply With Quote