The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 September 2019, 05:08 AM   #31
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
Really....
Yes.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 05:42 AM   #32
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
No, do not be manipulating your crown and winding. Don't develop an unnecessary habit that will over the years wear parts of your watch for no reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Complete and utter nonsense.
Which is it then..??
My watchmaker suggests that when your watch as stopped, to just give it a few winds to get it running, then wear it...to bring it up to snuff. --
Had to have the Tudor serviced 'coz of probable excessive winding..to the gear(s) inside, not the crown itself. - again..!

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 05:48 AM   #33
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
So, screwing and unscrewing the crown and manipulating it thousands of times causes no wear? Good to know.
Yes....

I guess one can keep their watch in a plastic bag and sock drawer and wear gloves and avoid all forms of touching as well... but everyone is different

Cheers
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 05:57 AM   #34
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
Yes....

I guess one can keep their watch in a plastic bag and sock drawer and wear gloves and avoid all forms of touching as well... but everyone is different

Cheers
I just wear my watch and avoid constantly fiddling with it for no reason.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 09:22 AM   #35
RootBeerGMT
"TRF" Member

Icon6

I only take mine off to clean it with my toothbrush and toothpaste and change the date. I've had it 2 years since I bought it brand new and have never had to wind it up since the first day I wound her up, set the date and adjusted the glide clasp. Love my Sub-C.
RootBeerGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 09:24 AM   #36
TheWatchStandard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
Only needs winding if you've left it sitting for the weekend, or any couple of days.
You're not going to hurt the watch by winding it though.
TheWatchStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 09:26 AM   #37
TheWatchStandard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Correct

Your Rolex may or may not require manual winding after the initial full wind (40 turns of the crown). It all stems from your level of wrist activity (dirty minds need not apply )
TheWatchStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 09:33 PM   #38
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatco View Post
Which is it then..??
My watchmaker suggests that when your watch as stopped, to just give it a few winds to get it running, then wear it...to bring it up to snuff. --
Had to have the Tudor serviced 'coz of probable excessive winding..to the gear(s) inside, not the crown itself. - again..!
The truth lies somewhere in the middle.
Just it always does.

IMO, your watchmaker is mostly correct.
This issue comes up from time to time and we always have the same range of responses. I can say that one very highly regarded watchmaker around these forums has stated something to the effect, that extra servicing requirements are called for due to excessive manual winding of Automatic Rolex movements. The causes for this occurance vary but it mostly stems from ignorance and inexperience.

Consider this.
For the last few decades, Rolex movements have been primarily designed to operate as Automatic winding movements.
They are not designed primarily as a manual wind movement with some sort of Automatic winding mechanism tacked onto it. Even though the Automatic winding mechanisms are added in a modular format.
With regard to our modern Rolex watches, the owners manual does not reflect any recommendation to manually wind the watch every day. Or for that matter as much as you feel like when ever you feel like it.
Automatic winding movements can indeed be wound manually to excess by the operator, simply because there is no clear indicator as to when to stop winding as is the case with exclusively manual wound movements.
Also remember that the old Seiko Autos never had any manual wind capability at all and relied exclusively on day to day wrist movement. I still have one somewhere around here

Personally, I just give our Rolex watches a few turns on the manual wind to kick start them a little and a quick shake to unlock the escapment if and when it's required. Then set the time and date on the watch normally. Put the watch on and let physics do the rest.
No problem what so ever. Even with timekeeping.

Of course, someone who is sedentary or borderline comatose or even heavily sedated may have a problem with this simple procedure, and may need to manually wind their Automatic watches.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 09:41 PM   #39
Gold Crown
Banned

Watch: 6265 18K Daytona
I wind mine about 10 turns twice a week just to make sure it won’t stop.
Gold Crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 01:04 AM   #40
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
The truth lies somewhere in the middle.
Just it always does.

IMO, your watchmaker is mostly correct.
This issue comes up from time to time and we always have the same range of responses. I can say that one very highly regarded watchmaker around these forums has stated something to the effect, that extra servicing requirements are called for due to excessive manual winding of Automatic Rolex movements. The causes for this occurance vary but it mostly stems from ignorance and inexperience.

Consider this.
For the last few decades, Rolex movements have been primarily designed to operate as Automatic winding movements.
They are not designed primarily as a manual wind movement with some sort of Automatic winding mechanism tacked onto it. Even though the Automatic winding mechanisms are added in a modular format.
With regard to our modern Rolex watches, the owners manual does not reflect any recommendation to manually wind the watch every day. Or for that matter as much as you feel like when ever you feel like it.
Automatic winding movements can indeed be wound manually to excess by the operator, simply because there is no clear indicator as to when to stop winding as is the case with exclusively manual wound movements.
Also remember that the old Seiko Autos never had any manual wind capability at all and relied exclusively on day to day wrist movement. I still have one somewhere around here

Personally, I just give our Rolex watches a few turns on the manual wind to kick start them a little and a quick shake to unlock the escapment if and when it's required. Then set the time and date on the watch normally. Put the watch on and let physics do the rest.
No problem what so ever. Even with timekeeping.

Of course, someone who is sedentary or borderline comatose or even heavily sedated may have a problem with this simple procedure, and may need to manually wind their Automatic watches.
Excellent

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 02:38 AM   #41
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I fully wind my watches when I reset them and then after that just wear them to keep them running.

No point in winding them everyday, unless you get satisfaction doing that. These are automatic watches so they are meant to be kept running by simply using them.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 03:03 AM   #42
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:

I also have one of these old Seikos, quite interesting. To get it going you would have to shake it a few times.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 05:09 AM   #43
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
I also have one of these old Seikos, quite interesting. To get it going you would have to shake it a few times.
Not quite a shake per se.
But yes, it was a very simple process.

I remember getting my first Seiko 5 sometime back in the early 70's.
It was the first watch in the family that wasn't exclusively manually wound and an Auto. After consulting the owners manual it took my Dad and I a little bit of working it out between us how to start it up when we got it out of the box. She was a real beauty, with a blue dial to easily rival the current crop of Rolex blue dials
If I recall correctly, the manual called for a gentle, swinging, rocking type of motion whilst holding the watch in the hand for about a minute. There was a nice little diagram in the manual which I can still picture in my mind. A picture can be worth a thousand words
One could feel the sensation of the rotor spinning around inside it to wind it up. It was a marvel to us.
We set the watch as per normal practice and i put it on to wear it for around 5 years before it finally stopped because it needed a service. Otherwise, it never ever stopped or kept poor timing through that whole period. It never got that service because I couldn't afford it and the watch was eventually cast asside.
We were poor, but we were appy.

Years later and a good number of Rolex watches have come and gone to finally settle on the current collection, and I still fondly recall that first day with my first Seiko and the subtle quirky nature of that winding technique which brought it to life, whenever I pick up any of our stopped Rolex watches.
Sometimes I even use the good old Seiko method for a few seconds just to start them up for a little bit of nostalgia
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 06:16 AM   #44
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
I can say that one very highly regarded watchmaker around these forums has stated something to the effect, that extra servicing requirements are called for due to excessive manual winding of Automatic Rolex movements. The causes for this occurance vary but it mostly stems from ignorance and inexperience.

Consider this.
Also remember that the old Seiko Autos never had any manual wind capability at all and relied exclusively on day to day wrist movement. I still have one somewhere around here.
Amen, great post.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2019, 12:40 AM   #45
jsgiunta
"TRF" Member

Winding an Air King

I just purchased a 2002 Air King three weeks ago from Crown & Caliper. When I wound it originally, it ran for 42 hours. The last time I did it just the other day, it only ran for 21 hours, so do I have a problem? Also, since this is my first one, when winding by the crown, is it supposed to just get tight at a certain point and not wind anymore when its fully wound, or continue to "wind" even after the mainspring is fully wound?
jsgiunta is offline   Reply With Quote