The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 August 2019, 06:55 AM   #1
my rolex
"TRF" Member

Rolex Waiting list

Does anyone know if a waiting list really exist. My local AD’s tell me I am on there waiting list for a Stainless Daytona and or a Pepsi GMT. In the past I have purchased several Rolex watches and have referred a number of new customers as well.

It’s been over a year and no call. Since then I’ve been by my AD and said hello, and I’m told they haven’t forgotten me. Their response is the back room is empty and Rolex are not sending any stainless sport watches at the moment. AD advised for the holidays Rolex may ship more SS models.

I’m wondering if this is accurate or if AD’s are showing preference to customers who spend large figures with them. After buying and sending business to my AD, one would think they should of called already.

Does any one have experience on this. Or if any one been called from a waiting list. Please share thanks.
my rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 07:00 AM   #2
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by my rolex View Post
Their response is the back room is empty and Rolex are not sending any stainless sport watches at the moment.
The gnomes must be having their Summer break.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 07:27 AM   #3
calh22a
Banned

I don’t think it’s so much a list but rather a pool of names, and the ADs will select someone from this pool to call when something hot comes in. They give preference to VIPs and big spenders. If you haven’t bought much from them, your name isn’t going to get selected. I find it hard to believe your AD is not getting any SS watches.
calh22a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 07:42 AM   #4
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Your AD is nicely telling you that there are bigger spenders in front of you. I don’t doubt you will eventually get allocated a watch, it just may take longer. Hopefully none of the people you referred to your AD are on that same list and get allocation before you It’s possible, especially if they have a larger spend history. Referring customers to your AD can be a double edge sword.

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 07:46 AM   #5
gameon
"TRF" Member

I'm going to Spain and Portugal in November, whats the odds of walking into an AD and finding a stainless Submariner?
gameon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 07:49 AM   #6
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Rolex Waiting list

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameon View Post
I'm going to Spain and Portugal in November, whats the odds of walking into an AD and finding a stainless Submariner?

Pretty good, I’d say. You’re bound to see a customer or somebody who works there wearing one.

If you meant to buy, sadly extremely unlikely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 August 2019, 08:06 AM   #7
Phooi
"TRF" Member

From what my AD told me, all the SAs have a list. As the pieces come in, they get allocated to a SA who then contacts the people on the list. The list is VIPs then everyone else. If the VIP is not interested, then they go down the list. The first person they reach is the person who gets the watch.

That’s why I keep my AD’s contact info in my phone!

Edit: forgot to add that I received my SS Skydweller blk from a list.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 08:27 AM   #8
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Depends on the AD, city and your purchase history
Old 25 August 2019, 09:01 AM   #9
Muxi
"TRF" Member

I’d bond with an SA and develop a good rapport with him/her on top of what you’re doing already.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 09:21 AM   #10
john9963
"TRF" Member

I talked about this with an AD yesterday. I told them my experience recently regarding a Sub. I told the SA that I recently bought an OP39 from another AD as they didn’t have what I wanted. A couple months later, I asked about a SubC from the same AD I bought my OP from. I was told I was number 10 on the list at time of order. I was called 3 weeks later saying I was bumped to the top of the list and my allocation arrived. The SA at the AD I visited yesterday told me the same thing happens regularly at their store. This particular AD said that each SA has a list of customers and their want list. It is luck of the draw on which SA gets the allocation. Then it is up the SA on which customer they call. Definitely not a first come first serve.
john9963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 10:31 AM   #11
Pius XIII
"TRF" Member

There are no waiting lists. ADs sell to whomever they want.
Pius XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 10:35 AM   #12
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I do not think much product is being delivered at the moment. The year allocations are done and dealers pretty much know what they can expect for the rest of the year. They never know what they will actually receive but they have a good idea of what they will not receive year end.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 10:41 AM   #13
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Does anyone know if a waiting list really exist. My local AD’s tell me I am on there waiting list for a Stainless Daytona and or a Pepsi GMT. In the past I have purchased several Rolex watches and have referred a number of new customers as well.

It’s been over a year and no call. Since then I’ve been by my AD and said hello, and I’m told they haven’t forgotten me. Their response is the back room is empty and Rolex are not sending any stainless sport watches at the moment. AD advised for the holidays Rolex may ship more SS models.

I’m wondering if this is accurate or if AD’s are showing preference to customers who spend large figures with them. After buying and sending business to my AD, one would think they should of called already.

Does any one have experience on this. Or if any one been called from a waiting list. Please share thanks.

Every AD operates differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 10:51 AM   #14
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
As far as a list goes, I am sure some have a list and some just tell you are on the list.
Old 25 August 2019, 10:55 AM   #15
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
You've done everything right to build a relationship with your AD, it's just likely there are still VIPs, friends & family and maybe Grey Sellers ahead of you. These days it takes a long, long time for the coveted pieces to trickle down to regular folks. I think lists are dynamic and always changing in priority depending on the mood of the AD. I also think lists are a way to placate customers so they don't get angry, arguably a feel-good thing without much substance. I expect to wait up to 5 years for a Pepsi unfortunately, so it goes. If world political events get heated this fall, maybe the appetite for luxury goods will diminish to the point where more Rolex become available. Good luck though and keep trying. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 11:54 AM   #16
joeva
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner Date
It seems to me that there is somewhat if a waiting list for individual sales personnel. I’m sure that it varies by AD of course. But I think when an allocated watch comes in the management has a hierarchy/list of salespeople then the salesperson might be able to advocate that he or she’s person should get it. I have heard that certain factors make it easier for the salesperson to “make a case” for you. To that end I believe that the most important thing to do is get referred to a salesperson and develop an authentic relationship with them. In the end at least for me it was my individual sales guy not total dollars spent that made it happen for me with the 2019 batman (just purchased yesterday waited several months for) Also, I should note that I know with 100 percent certainty there were more affluent folks ahead of me on “the list” again it came down to me being honest with my sales guy telling him why I wanted it and making a commitment that I would not waffle on the purchase. Worked for me ymmv
joeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 12:04 PM   #17
s14roller
"TRF" Member

There is a list of people for which they know have interest in certain pieces. However, the order likely changes pretty frequently.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 02:02 PM   #18
Geaux Tigers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub Date
My AD is getting the hard to get watches. They don’t get many but are getting them in the store. The owner determines who gets the allocation. As stated above the priority folks get calls first then SA lists. The most productive SAs get dibs after priority clients. Many times priority clients do not want the hard to get models, but the pool of names for folks who do want them is quite long.

It’s sometimes difficult to be patient but it will all moderate in time.
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 02:33 PM   #19
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
I deal with many ADs .

Can say with certainty that three of then follow their list in offerings to customers .They can tell you fairly accurately how long you will wait.I have gotten 5 references from them this year .

The rest I do not trust regarding lists and waiting times.

Roughly 40% of ADs you can trust on lists .This is in my scenario.
Other parts of the world this will most likely be less.This is assumption is based on feedback from the forum.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 04:23 PM   #20
Sub Capt.
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately you asked to be put one two crazy loooonnng lists. It’s probably gunna take a long time. I was told up to 2 years on a BLRO. Still asked to be put on the list.....

Because i asked them to put me on an Exp II list and they called me in a couple months when they had one. Lists exist imho and they wish they had more watches....

T
Sub Capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 04:29 PM   #21
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Capt. View Post
Unfortunately you asked to be put one two crazy loooonnng lists. It’s probably gunna take a long time. I was told up to 2 years on a BLRO. Still asked to be put on the list.....

Because i asked them to put me on an Exp II list and they called me in a couple months when they had one. Lists exist imho and they wish they had more watches....

T
Been on a list since 2018 for a BLRO ."There is money to be made " so everyone that wears an apple or a pear is also on the list ...

Cant complain ...had some really nice references come my way the past year : BLNR oyster,SD43,Black SkyD,Sub/Dates ,Expl II Polar etc..
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 05:45 PM   #22
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i'm going to spain and portugal in november, whats the odds of walking into an ad and finding a stainless submariner?
0.000004%
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 05:51 PM   #23
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Several Rolex watches won't cut it for spending, at least not in NYC. I would guess unless you've spent a minimum of $100k will you be truly considered for Daytona or Pepsi. As another poster has indicated it's really a pool of people they will call and not necessarily a numerical order of going through a list. It's not first come first served scenario. If a super high VIP spends $200k and says he would like a Daytona SS then I'm sure he would bypass a lot of people (possibly)

Fortunately, i have had long relationship with my AD so I have been put on a list and have been called for and purchased the Daytona SS (black and white) and Pepsi :) within a year
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 06:12 PM   #24
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i'm going to spain and portugal in november, whats the odds of walking into an ad and finding a stainless submariner?
Old 25 August 2019, 06:26 PM   #25
GeoffS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum Daytona
There is no way that any AD has an actual list that they work down from top to bottom systematically for any watch. It just doesn't happen like that. When a piece comes in whichever particular salesperson who get's to sell the watch will call their favourite customer at that time. That could be someone who is actually on a list (doesn't have to be top of the list), or someone who walked in a week ago and bought 3 watches. It's random.
GeoffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 06:51 PM   #26
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 09:40 PM   #27
SJH53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Well I guess I've been lucky as I put my name down for a Submariner 116610LN with a very established U.K. AD in Feb '18 & in January I collected my watch, happy days!
SJH53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 10:37 PM   #28
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

No list. 99% are going to the folks spending large sums on jewelry and watches) and the ever growing number of gray market folks who can buy up the watches not moving. I mean there is absolutely no incentive at all for an AD to see to you and me and not a gray.

As others have said here, take a page out of the gray market playbook. Go in and say hey, I’ll buy that two tone DJ and that DD and the Daytona. Have to bundle them now.

It took me 14 years to get my 116520. Part of the hobby is the hunt. Though I did not have a big problem with the wait, because I’m not a speculator nor am I new to the hobby. I have been interested in watches since 1st grade, so I’m in no hurry. I simply enjoyed the watches I had. In that 14 years, I bought and wore many other fantastic brands. No way I would pay over MSRP.

I would also advise, looking at the 116520 over the ceramic. The 116520 is and always will be the first version with the in-house movement. The addition of pottery to the bezel is nothing more than marketing stunt, putting the Daytona in the jewelry category. Ceramic has been done since the 70’s on watches and is nothing new. In fact, Rolex was late to the game by far my friends. It’s like the emperor’s new clothes with this ceramic hype. Silly if one takes a step back and realizes that thousands are clamoring to pay thousands over MSRP with the only change being the addition of a cheaper, more brittle dinner plate material added as a bezel. Now, before someone comes at me with this scratch resistant business, show me one ss bezel that you shredded, and become not legible? How long did it take, and how much to replace?
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 11:05 PM   #29
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Just got back from Portugal, zero.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2019, 11:31 PM   #30
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
One of the things this forum has taught me,,is that patience is a virtue,,,
I believe you will get your Blro and eventually your Daytona,,,
Often read incomings on hot pieces ,where members have waited 2 years,,,
All the best Op,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote