The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 September 2019, 03:57 AM   #31
mattsrs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyandy View Post
That's how the "batgirl" started...out of spite.
haha well said! and I have seen them insisting on calling it so on different threads
mattsrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 06:51 AM   #32
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

...Batman
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 11:50 AM   #33
cantdrive55
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hmmm…
Just bought Batgirl. And a new Oyster bracelet from my AD - so I could have Batman.
cantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 11:54 AM   #34
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Jubilee and updated movement...yeah I’ll take that one.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 12:00 PM   #35
bj1331
"TRF" Member

Watch: -aholic
I don’t have the oyster BLNR, but I do have a 116710LN obviously on oyster. I just purchased a 126710BLNR and in my opinion, the jubilee bracelet has a different feel & is extremely comfortable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ DJ 16200 | ♛ Submariner 16613LB | ♛ GMT 116710LN | ♛ DJ 126234 | ♛ GMT 126710BLNR | ♛ DaytonaC 116500LN White | ♛ Submariner 126610LV | Breitling Chrono Cockpit | Ω Seamaster AquaTerra World Timer | Ω Speedmaster Chronoscope | ♛ Submariner 116610LV
bj1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 12:09 PM   #36
Spoonage
2024 Pledge Member

I own the original BLNR. Of all my watches, it is my favorite moreso than my white DaytonaC. I have not seen the new one in person yet, but I prefer the BLNR on the oyster (if compared in pictures). I do think the BLRO looks better on a jubilee than the BLNR.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 12:15 PM   #37
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

BLNR= oyster bracelet
BLRO= jubilee bracelet
Old 28 September 2019, 12:15 PM   #38
sambb
"TRF" Member

i like batman over batgirl for a sports watch
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 12:24 PM   #39
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
It's the jubilee that makes ANY Rolex look insanely good. I have a DJ 41 'smooth' with silver dial and it's the most elegant watch I own... It's a huge bang for the buck. It's got more going for it than any of the other very beautiful watches I own. It's the bracelet!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 12:47 PM   #40
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

In my humble opinion, I believe the jubilee looks more historically correct on the GMT. It certainly has more dimension and is flashier.
That said, the new 3285 movement is a better movement on many levels.
I believe you should actually see one of the new BLNR 2.0 in person to see just how well Rolex engineered the way the jubilee end-links transition into the case. The tolerances are so tight they look like they flow into the bezel. I understand people are use to seeing the BLNR for a long time on a oyster and familiarity can be hard to look past. I own them all and I can confidently say Rolex execution of the latest 126710BLNR is one of the best I have ever seen by any brand. For 8 years no one liked or wanted the LVc either because it wasn’t like the familiar black Sub. Then after that 8 year mark........

Regarding these new nicknames:
Some are really tying to push girl superhero names all of a sudden. Some even tried to call the new Pepsi "Wonder Woman" when that came out last year. . These are not lady specific or targeted watches so it makes no practical sense.
I tend to believe there is a ulterior motive behind some pushing female names considering the superhero names from the past have been male. Regardless, those names have not been accepted by owners and dealers.

I have alot of experience and involvement in the watch enthusiast world and have noticed a non organic source from some of these stupid nicknames. I'll just say this.. (I believe there is a lot of frustration directed to the current Rolex market and the latest hot models that are extremely hard to get so they are targeting these latest models with ridiculous nicknames) Trolls and Rolex haters are feeding on this crap. Its petty nonsense.

The new 126710BLNR has a few generally accepted names by legitimate enthusiast and the industry. "The new Batman" is very popular. The AD and grey market is just calling it "The Batman" since the gen 1 has been discontinued. As a owner, BLNR 2.0 is just easier and less to type. I would never intentionally or unintentionally want to degrade another enthusiast with a ridiculous nickname.

https://watchesbysjx.com/2019/03/rol...-bracelet.html
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 12:48 PM   #41
Tenebris Equum
Banned

Watch: Speedy and Pepsi
I would definitely give the Batman and have the Batgirl for myself.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Tenebris Equum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2019, 04:23 PM   #42
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
In my humble opinion, I believe the jubilee looks more historically correct on the GMT. It certainly has more dimension and is flashier.
That said, the new 3285 movement is a better movement on many levels.
I believe you should actually see one of the new BLNR 2.0 in person to see just how well Rolex engineered the way the jubilee end-links transition into the case. The tolerances are so tight they look like they flow into the bezel. I understand people are use to seeing the BLNR for a long time on a oyster and familiarity can be hard to look past. I own them all and I can confidently say Rolex execution of the latest 126710BLNR is one of the best I have ever seen by any brand. For 8 years no one liked or wanted the LVc either because it wasn’t like the familiar black Sub. Then after that 8 year mark........

Regarding these new nicknames:
Some are really tying to push girl superhero names all of a sudden. Some even tried to call the new Pepsi "Wonder Woman" when that came out last year. . These are not lady specific or targeted watches so it makes no practical sense.
I tend to believe there is a ulterior motive behind some pushing female names considering the superhero names from the past have been male. Regardless, those names have not been accepted by owners and dealers.

I have alot of experience and involvement in the watch enthusiast world and have noticed a non organic source from some of these stupid nicknames. I'll just say this.. (I believe there is a lot of frustration directed to the current Rolex market and the latest hot models that are extremely hard to get so they are targeting these latest models with ridiculous nicknames) Trolls and Rolex haters are feeding on this crap. Its petty nonsense.

The new 126710BLNR has a few generally accepted names by legitimate enthusiast and the industry. "The new Batman" is very popular. The AD and grey market is just calling it "The Batman" since the gen 1 has been discontinued. As a owner, BLNR 2.0 is just easier and less to type. I would never intentionally or unintentionally want to degrade another enthusiast with a ridiculous nickname.

https://watchesbysjx.com/2019/03/rol...-bracelet.html
I don’t believe the majority are actually trying to degrade or erode the new reference; the new reference stands on its own merit. Some people like it, others don’t. Same for all watches, which is why there are choices

Regarding nicknames, some people don’t like them full stop, others do

The only people who seem to be getting worked up about this batgirl name are current batgirl owners

It’s a name that has stuck and has become part of our zeitgeist - google Rolex batgirl, see what comes up (if a google search is any sort of indicator, lol). The fact you don’t feel comfortable with it doesn’t really matter, but you can’t use that rationale to determine who is and who is not a true legitimate enthusiast simply because their opinions don’t gel with your own
Old 28 September 2019, 10:06 PM   #43
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Cog-Neeto View Post
I don’t believe the majority are actually trying to degrade or erode the new reference; the new reference stands on its own merit. Some people like it, others don’t. Same for all watches, which is why there are choices

Regarding nicknames, some people don’t like them full stop, others do

The only people who seem to be getting worked up about this batgirl name are current batgirl owners

It’s a name that has stuck and has become part of our zeitgeist - google Rolex batgirl, see what comes up (if a google search is any sort of indicator, lol). The fact you don’t feel comfortable with it doesn’t really matter, but you can’t use that rationale to determine who is and who is not a true legitimate enthusiast simply because their opinions don’t gel with your own
This has nothing to do with censorship, freedom of choice or my opinion on the topic. That name was not chosen the way the Rolex community names their watches. It’s a total departure of the spirit of these nicknames and it’s done with ulterior/derogatory motives.

The name has not “stuck”. It is being pushed in a non organic way to degrade the new model. It goes way beyond what my opinion is. The roots and motive of this particular name that is being pushed is not from actual owners or dealers. This name is not just accepted because a few in social media get to be the first to coin a name from their own motives. That’s not the way these watches get their name.

There has always been a way these names come to be:

The way we name our watches in our Rolex community has been from the first actually owners. These owners found a common term of endearment after actually owning and wearing the watch. This is where “Hulk” etc... came from. This is not my opinion but how we have done it here at TRF and WUS. .

I have been around long enough and involved in our community to have a unbiased perspective on this matter. I have also been a moderator on other forums and I have seen similar social media trolling agendas.

I can tell you original owners (including myself now) have not called our 126710BLNR watch a female superhero name as a term of endearment. This name is being pushed with ulterior motives.

The trolls and Rolex haters eat this kind of stuff up so I won’t dignify this topic anymore other than the name was not chosen the way we always have in the past. This just fuels the trolls more to add it every chance they get.
I don’t really care or use nicknames but before, at least they were chosen for the right reason by the actual owners. This is why I felt I needed to address this issue.
The haters don’t get to choose our nick names on TRF.

This forum is a amazing place of knowledge and wonderful people from all over the world. We are a place of knowledge and have always been a encouraging place for watch enthusiast at every level. A lot of us legacy members are gone but those of us still here and active will speak up if we see the forum taking a turn away from its roots.
Old 28 September 2019, 11:35 PM   #44
sambb
"TRF" Member

I think the batgirl is a pretty watch, i just like the more sports look of the batman.

Ironically im unsure why people think batgirl is a negative name (but are ok with smurf or kermit..)

I would be honored to own a batman or a batgirl, and no doubt that the new movement in the GMT is a plus for power reserve. Some just prefer the oyster for a sports watch, and thats ok too.

Good luck to all and enjoy the watches! Both are nice!
Old 29 September 2019, 12:08 AM   #45
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambb View Post
I think the batgirl is a pretty watch, i just like the more sports look of the batman.

Ironically im unsure why people think batgirl is a negative name (but are ok with smurf or kermit..)

I would be honored to own a batman or a batgirl, and no doubt that the new movement in the GMT is a plus for power reserve. Some just prefer the oyster for a sports watch, and thats ok too.

Good luck to all and enjoy the watches! Both are nice!
Male chauvinism
Old 29 September 2019, 12:20 AM   #46
stateman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateThaGreat View Post
So I currently have a 116710 blnr and am thinking about getting the new version on the jubilee and giving the 116710 blnr to my brother. For the peeps who own both which do you like more and why? I’m worried I’ll regret the decision cause I do love my Batman a lot but all my watches have the oyster bracelet and it would be nice to maybe mix it up with the super jubilee. I do like how the 116710 is the first black and blue though, very cool. What do you guys think? Keep the 116710 or get the 126710? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you find that you use the EZ-link on your 116710? If not (I hardly ever use it), then just buy a 63600 super jubilee and effectively have both watches (other than the longer power reserve of the new movement). I prefer the 116710 on the jubilee - just find it extremely comfortable and helps the watch wear just a bit smaller on my 7" wrist. Also like the rubber b with the blue stripe. Have other watches with an oyster bracelet so like the variety as well.
stateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 12:37 AM   #47
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateman View Post
Do you find that you use the EZ-link on your 116710? If not (I hardly ever use it), then just buy a 63600 super jubilee and effectively have both watches (other than the longer power reserve of the new movement). I prefer the 116710 on the jubilee - just find it extremely comfortable and helps the watch wear just a bit smaller on my 7" wrist. Also like the rubber b with the blue stripe. Have other watches with an oyster bracelet so like the variety as well.
I have noticed this. This is my first jubilee from 30 years with different oyster bracelets. The jubilee is a completely different animal. The closest experience I have to it is the Breitling pilot bracelet. I played around with moving links just to get a feel of the potential. It’s comfortable with almost any sizing with where the clasp sits. The links are shorter than the oyster so you can get to a almost spot on fitment without using the 3 micro 2mm clasp sizing holes. Finding a perfect fit isn’t fussy at all. Because the watch is so balanced and lighter, you can wear it looser than heavier dive models. With the easy link extended I get a very loose and comfortable bracelet sizing that reminds me the way we wore the 5 digit Subs in the 90’s. It’s the only bracelet watch I could honestly sleep with if I had to. The solid links still feel really solid and stout for such a pliable bracelet. I can now see why some may put this new Jubilee bracelet on a Submariner. You certainly don’t feel like you’re giving up any strength or durability.
Old 29 September 2019, 12:57 AM   #48
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
A lot of us legacy members are gone but those of us still here and active will speak up if we see the forum taking a turn away from its roots.
People can call my 126710BLNR whatever they want I could really care less. The nicknames are one of the more juvenile aspects of this hobby to have cropped up recently but it's easy enough to ignore. If someone sees your BLNR on your wrist and says "hey, nice Batgirl!" are you going to get irritated?

If that happened to me I'd just smile and say or nod a thanks and keep enjoying the heck outta whatever you wanna call it.
vipereaper30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 01:03 AM   #49
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Batman>Batgirl
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 01:18 AM   #50
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
People can call my 126710BLNR whatever they want I could really care less. The nicknames are one of the more juvenile aspects of this hobby to have cropped up recently but it's easy enough to ignore. If someone sees your BLNR on your wrist and says "hey, nice Batgirl!" are you going to get irritated?

If that happened to me I'd just smile and say or nod a thanks and keep enjoying the heck outta whatever you wanna call it.
That’s all you really can do as I have not had many even use nicknames in the wild. Even respected dealers and jewelry store owners I visit each year on vacation don’t use them. We will have a hour of just watch enthusiast conversation over the glass counter and it never comes up. I think maybe one person has ever called my LVc a “Hulk”. These silly nicknames really only exist on the forum talk.

Anyone can call a Everose DayDate a “Tinker-bell” and I still will volunteer to wear it if they offer.
Old 29 September 2019, 01:28 AM   #51
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This has nothing to do with censorship, freedom of choice or my opinion on the topic. That name was not chosen the way the Rolex community names their watches. It’s a total departure of the spirit of these nicknames and it’s done with ulterior/derogatory motives.

The name has not “stuck”. It is being pushed in a non organic way to degrade the new model. It goes way beyond what my opinion is. The roots and motive of this particular name that is being pushed is not from actual owners or dealers. This name is not just accepted because a few in social media get to be the first to coin a name from their own motives. That’s not the way these watches get their name.

There has always been a way these names come to be:

The way we name our watches in our Rolex community has been from the first actually owners. These owners found a common term of endearment after actually owning and wearing the watch. This is where “Hulk” etc... came from. This is not my opinion but how we have done it here at TRF and WUS. .

I have been around long enough and involved in our community to have a unbiased perspective on this matter. I have also been a moderator on other forums and I have seen similar social media trolling agendas.

I can tell you original owners (including myself now) have not called our 126710BLNR watch a female superhero name as a term of endearment. This name is being pushed with ulterior motives.

The trolls and Rolex haters eat this kind of stuff up so I won’t dignify this topic anymore other than the name was not chosen the way we always have in the past. This just fuels the trolls more to add it every chance they get.
I don’t really care or use nicknames but before, at least they were chosen for the right reason by the actual owners. This is why I felt I needed to address this issue.
The haters don’t get to choose our nick names on TRF.

This forum is a amazing place of knowledge and wonderful people from all over the world. We are a place of knowledge and have always been a encouraging place for watch enthusiast at every level. A lot of us legacy members are gone but those of us still here and active will speak up if we see the forum taking a turn away from its roots.
Brother you are clearly passionate and that’s a great thing, but you can’t tar all with the same brush. Your experience and thus your opinion played a major part in your original post.

My friend got a (I’ll use the reference number here for want of a better alternative!) 126710BLNR new at retail from an AD. He is now an owner and he refers to it as ‘BATGIRL’, and loves the watch. Doesn’t really conform with your stated ‘Rolex community officially accepted time and tested committee method for choosing nicknames for watches’’.

In your original post you made the connection between those who are true enthusiasts and those who would never call this watch batgirl. That’s just plainly untrue. My friend is a fairly active WIS of many years, calls his batgirl, and doesn’t have a problem with it. I’m a fairly active WIS, have the 116710BLNR, and call the new reference Batgirl. Simple, not derogatory, just the name that’s stuck. Personally I rarely ever use a nickname and feel they are for those who can’t learn the reference numbers - they are akin to using emojis - just dumbing down the general populace day by day

You’ve also mentioned that dealers don’t refer to this as Batgirl - seriously? I hate Instagram but even a quick look at it and almost every dealer selling one references ‘batgirl’. For sure this has become part of our current watch climate.

For this nickname to have caused so much consternation for current owners is beyond me; I really don’t get it. But maybe it’s just that I’m unaffected by others opinions or thoughts when it comes to the time pieces I enjoy. Does Smurf, a little blue elfin/pixie type children’s cartoon character, erode the perceived masculinity of the awesome 116619lb? It certainly doesn’t seem to cause current owners any issues, and it’s a child’s cartoon!

Thinking on it, perhaps people, generally speaking, just prefer the oyster version - I don’t know.

Anyway, I think the more people protest it, the more others may poke just to get a reaction, not out of spite, more just a bit of sport from those who can’t come to terms with a perceived feminine moniker. Don’t let it spoil your enjoyment
Old 29 September 2019, 02:17 AM   #52
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Cog-Neeto View Post
Anyway, I think the more people protest it, the more others may poke just to get a reaction, not out of spite, more just a bit of sport from those who can’t come to terms with a perceived feminine moniker. Don’t let it spoil your enjoyment

Absolutely and this is why I really didnt want to even address it. Its all white noise. These names can be cyclical when and who is using them in any particular context. At this point it will play out in time where any of these names go other than this one has been the most controversial.
Old 29 September 2019, 02:26 AM   #53
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I prefer the Oyster bracelet.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 02:49 AM   #54
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
Although the new version looks very sharp you should think a long time before letting go a discontinued piece. As far as your brother goes let him get his own
Jabbo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 03:00 PM   #55
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyandy View Post
That's how the "batgirl" started...at least that's how it seems. Someone who got the oyster and then wished they waited a couple more months for Basel to announce the new models.

To those who love the oyster and prefer it, truly happy for you. Wear what you love.
If you have the BLNR on oyster I'd keep it (looks better IMHO). Get the BLRO on jubilee. Then you have the perfect GMT combo
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 03:05 PM   #56
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

Can the BLNR oyster be fitted to the 126710BLNR? Asking for a friend who might get the new version soon and would like to be able to alternate between the two bracelets... on the newer version.
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 03:18 PM   #57
sambb
"TRF" Member

i think it is more than possible to get a batgirl and source an oyster to make it a oyster with the new movement.
Old 29 September 2019, 03:23 PM   #58
GovernorsGovernor
"TRF" Member

I just like the idea that the newer version also comes with the newer movement--70 hours vs. 48 hours power reserve.
GovernorsGovernor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2019, 03:38 PM   #59
brmeyers
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...Your Thoughts
BLNR 2.0 - Mine pictured below. Easy choice for me.
Jubilee Bracelet is so comfortable and stylish.
It plays with light better too...

BETTER TECH:
Also the 3285 Movement is now standard on ALL GMT's and is a better calibre movement which is really hard to argue.

With 10 patent applications filed over the course of its development,
this self-winding mechanical movement is a consummate demonstration of Rolex technology, at the forefront of the art of watchmaking.
Calibre 3285 offers fundamental gains in terms of precision, power reserve, resistance to shocks and magnetism, convenience and reliability.
Calibre 3285 incorporates the Chronergy escapement patented by Rolex, which combines high energy efficiency with great dependability.
Made of nickel-phosphorus, it is also insensitive to magnetic interference.
-Rolex.com

thumbnail copy.jpg
brmeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2019, 04:36 AM   #60
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
I own both. If I had to choose between them, I’d keep the 116710. I have mine on the 97200 glidelock and I like the versatility of bracelets without having to use aftermarket spring bars.
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote