The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 September 2019, 01:28 AM   #1
HappyFamilyVan
"TRF" Member

Shiny versus Brushed Finish

Lots of threads about scratches and asking "should I polish".

If you do not want to live with scratches, why does one bother buying a shiny oyster bracelet watch? Yes, shiny are nicer looking than a brushed finished when watch is new...but give it a couple weeks of daily wear...

Just an observation. My presidential and jubilee bracelets are shiny but do not show scratches. However, for my sub I went with brushed SS versus TT even though the TT bluesy I liked better...when new. I did not want to see the scratches. Just personal preference, but I wanted to hear from TRF why anyone would want a shiny Oyster bracelet...just curious as I may be missing something.
HappyFamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 01:33 AM   #2
JoseR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King, Omega AT
I like the brushed finished on the oyster. Got the Air King and it's brushed like I like it. I was looking at the DJ41 oyster and notice the middle links were polished. I wished they would had both option....not crazy about the polish links in the center.
JoseR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 01:40 AM   #3
Bigblu10
Banned

If you decide on a full YG Sub which I wanted over anything else, pcl's are a feature of PM watches. Scratches will happen to mine which doesn't bother me but they also will occur on a SS brushed bracelet as well. Any metal and finish can and will scratch, unless you leave it in the box and don't wear it.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 01:51 AM   #4
mattsrs
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
I only buy fully brushed Oyter bracelets (Sea Dweller, Sub, etc) or Jubilee (new Batman/Pepsi) and brushed cases for the same reason that scratches on Oyster PCLs can become prominent and IMO ruins the look
mattsrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 01:56 AM   #5
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
I use a really nice aftermarket "racing" strap on my 116500. The only other Rolex I have with PCL's is the YG Sub. I wear it sparingly and carefully. Sure it gets minor scratches but as long as it doesn't get "dinged" I am ok with a polish at service time. I love the look of the YG, but my go to piece is the SS Sub.

I heartily join those who wish Rolex would be more flexible with bracelet options.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 02:14 AM   #6
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I have a love hate with both. All satin and I tend to get bored with it. I think this is where my LVc landed. It’s not “bling” enough for what I want from a Rolex design. There are better satin watches with a touch of polished that checks both boxes and it isn’t a Rolex watch design. I detest a Rolex sport watch on a strap so PCL is where I land except now I am seriously looking at the Jubilee bracelet. This might be the perfect compromise in giving some bling but not showcasing every little scratch.

In my experience, 904L seems to scratch easier than 316. 904L seems to accumulate smudge scratches just looking at it. I think it might even be easier than full 18k PCL I had on my Bluesy. I have done comparison test wearing both 316 and 904l for a week. My POC Master Chronometer in 316 still looks absolutely pristine under magnification. This is after several dives. My DJ2 seems to get smudge scratched from just lightly rubbing against the cuff of a soft jacket. It’s almost comical how much even babying the 904l still picks up hairline scratches.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 02:19 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It depends entirely on the reference IMO.

PCL’s suit the watches they are featured on and brushed bracelets suit theirs.

IMO Rolex knows exactly what they’re doing
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 02:48 AM   #8
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFamilyVan View Post

Yes, shiny are nicer looking than a brushed finished when watch is new...

I disagree. I’d do anything for a Daytona (retail), but first day after purchasing, I would be brushing braclet and lugs. I MUCH prefer the look of bcl. The only pcl I like is jubilee. However, not a DJ fan and would not want jubilee on a sports model.

In regards to your post, people don’t have the choice. If you want a Daytona or GMT, you are getting brushed, regardless what you want.

Scratches occur on the satin finish also.

I think scratches are more or less a concern for people new to watches (not saying it is always the case). I used to hate them. After years, I realize they are inevitable and I don’t really care anymore. I don’t buy into “the scratches tell a story, so enjoy them” mentality, but I just don’t notice or care about wear and tear anymore.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 02:56 AM   #9
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If you do not want to live with scratches, why does one bother buying a shiny oyster bracelet watch? Yes, shiny are nicer looking than a brushed finished when watch is new...but give it a couple weeks of daily wear...

Just an observation. My presidential and jubilee bracelets are shiny but do not show scratches. However, for my sub I went with brushed SS versus TT even though the TT bluesy I liked better...when new. I did not want to see the scratches. Just personal preference, but I wanted to hear from TRF why anyone would want a shiny Oyster bracelet...just curious as I may be missing something.
I never use my bracelets. They get taken off immediately, wrapped in plastic, and put in the watch box. It isn't because of scratches. I simply do not like metal bracelets.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 02:58 AM   #10
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Because they are shiny A brushed finish is a bit dull in comparison
Old 16 September 2019, 05:35 AM   #11
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:

Some people don't like the polished center links for that very fact, but they still buy the watches because the models are hot, then they complain about the scratches. My advice is to just buy what you love, and if you don't like the 'shiny finish', then stay away from those models. More for me lol
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 11:35 PM   #12
Oscarpapa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
I never use my bracelets. They get taken off immediately, wrapped in plastic, and put in the watch box. It isn't because of scratches. I simply do not like metal bracelets.
Ditto
Oscarpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 11:41 PM   #13
iheartrolexx
Banned

again, it's personal preference.
iheartrolexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 11:49 PM   #14
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
I'm not a fan of the polished areas.

Even had the bezel radial brushed by Rolliworks on my 214270

Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2019, 11:53 PM   #15
playford
"TRF" Member

Brushed is a much more functional toolwatch look, the modern polished is more of a luxury/blingy look.
playford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 02:43 AM   #16
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I generally prefer brushed but every watch has its own character. I wouldn't want my Milgauss brushed. The eccentric design suits the polished character. The overall watch is actually quite dressy.

On the flip side, I'd hate PCLs on any of the serious tool watches like the Explorer, Explorer II, or diver ranges.

The real debate is the GMT line but I understand why they went polished. They wanted to distinguish the watch from the Sub and they also market it as a cosmopolitan watch. It's a gentleman's traveler piece. It works in my opinion but the watch would look great brushed as well.

I think the obsession with certain people wanting everything brushed is a bit out of hand.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 02:48 AM   #17
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
I keep seeing that PCLs look crappy after significant use, but where are the pictures?

I'm sure with time they just become uniform.

I need to see proof of how crappy they look with time!
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 02:51 AM   #18
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
High polish is a PITA if you ask me. It looks really filthy. I'm sure brushed is the same but you can't see.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 03:11 AM   #19
Oldwoods
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk
I much prefer brushed bracelets
The only watch that I currently own with pcl is a Milgauss
Recently sold my Batman and one of the reasons was the pcl’s.
Oldwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 03:14 AM   #20
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
I like both brushed and polished finish on watches. My Milgauss Z-blue has been picking up a lot of scratches on the PCLs and high polish surfaces, but I don’t mind them. I still think it looks great! They will disappear anyway during interval servicing if I so choose.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 03:41 AM   #21
alphasports
"TRF" Member

If you don't like the PCLs just get them brushed out.

alphasports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 03:51 AM   #22
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakeroatmeal View Post
I keep seeing that PCLs look crappy after significant use, but where are the pictures?

I'm sure with time they just become uniform.

I need to see proof of how crappy they look with time!
It’s all in being cognizant of your surroundings and the watch
your wearing. If you know your doing yard work or being the
weekend mechanic why would you wear your shiny watch ?
I wouldn’t .

Get a beater for those chores ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote