The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 September 2019, 10:03 PM   #31
Rolexatlast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
I’m on a three week safari in southern Zimbabwe and I am wearing my new Submariner which is my new hard duty watch. I thought I would share a few observations. My time here has consisted of, among others, building blinds, swimming in the river, replacing Cruiser wheel bearings and brake pads, falling from a tree and banging the watch many times. Also, many treks of 15 to 20 km per day with many climbs up rocks and watch hits along the way.

The good. This is an extremely sturdy watch and is taking everything in stride with no problems. When I get back to Dallas, I’ll probably take it into the RSC and have them ensure that the fall didn’t do any damage, but the timekeeping is unaffected so I doubt it. The guards on the stem are also really helpful and they’re a bit banged up now. Quality of construction of the watch is beautiful although I have certainly not looked at it with a loupe, nor do I intend to.

The things I don’t like for my use are first, the bezel. The raised bezel with scallped edges is constantly getting banged against something as I use it. I would much prefer a sleek bezel which did not project. My 2nd gripe is the clasp which essentially covers the entire rear of the bracelet and has protruding sharp edges which also get caught on things along the way. I would really prefer a much smaller and simpler clasp and don’t care at all about the adjustment feature since I never readjust watch fit once I have set it.

I admit this is tough watch use but since it is a “tool watch” I thought I would report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad you like the watch, and appreciate the toughness

However I am little puzzled by your gripes as you have bought a dive watch - the raised bezel is to enable the timer to be set when wearing gloves, and the large clasp is to allow the bracelet to be lengthened to fit over a wet suit.
Rolexatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 01:42 AM   #32
thlax
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhose View Post
The sub is made for diving not what your using it for.You need an explorer with a nato !

Would people recommend switching to NATO before Tuesday’s flight ? For the 5512

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020 Green OP41 124300 (Sold), 2020 114060 ND Sub (Sold) Tudor BB58 Blue (Sold), CHNR (Sold), 126603 TT SD43 (Sold) 116500 Black Daytona (Sold), 5512 vintage ‘69 (Sold) 114060 (Sold), AP15202ST (Sold) AP15500 Grey (Sold), 126710 BLRO Pepsi (Sold), 2018 39MM White OP (Sold), SD43 (Sold), ALS 1815 WG (Sold), 116520 White Daytona (sold), DSSD (Sold), 116655 RG YM (Returned), 116619LB Smurf (Sold), PP 5167A (Sold), AP Diver (Sold), PAM112 (Sold)
thlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 07:58 PM   #33
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexatlast View Post
Glad you like the watch, and appreciate the toughness

However I am little puzzled by your gripes as you have bought a dive watch - the raised bezel is to enable the timer to be set when wearing gloves, and the large clasp is to allow the bracelet to be lengthened to fit over a wet suit.
I believe you are correct. I have an SD43 which I do use diving. When I get back to Dallas I’ll see if a friend who has many Rolex parts can install a new bezel from Explorer and bracelet. I don’t give a whit about originality. The watch continues to run great so it won’t be visiting the RSC.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 08:06 PM   #34
vakman
"TRF" Member

Watch: The watch.!
Never went on a safari the planning was going next year but with al the anti white sentiments going on in South Africa i am not going maybe save a little more money and go to the Four Seasons in Tanzania.
Old 25 September 2019, 08:10 PM   #35
chazadams
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner / GMT
Rubber B or Everest strap may be a good option too
chazadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2019, 02:50 AM   #36
Matt_24
"TRF" Member

Wore my 34mm Air King all through an African deployment. A fantastic tool watch - and it was worn and not treated gently.

I sold it some time ago and bought a Sub. To be quite frank.....I wish I had kept the 34mm Air King. It was beautiful. It's size was perfect and unobtrusive, and it was bullet proof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AK1.jpg (85.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg AK2.jpg (85.3 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg AK3.jpg (64.4 KB, 35 views)
Matt_24 is offline   Reply With Quote