The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 September 2019, 06:07 AM   #1
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Wish I could trust the Tudor Back Bay GMT

Really want this watch but with so many having the date change problem and with the horror stories coming out about length of time for the fix...hesitant to say the least. Are the newer models less susceptible? Googling just brings up more negativity along with the usual boilerplate bubblegum from the watch mags in their early reviews... and no official word at all from Rolex / Tudor.

Bummer.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 06:11 AM   #2
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
I agree with you. Tudor has big problems on their hands. With a variety of QC issues lately it is just never good for the brand.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 06:15 AM   #3
MikePRT
"TRF" Member

Got one of the first ones last year...no issues. Got another one a few months back...no issues. You’re always more likely to here negative than positive. Buy it and enjoy it, it’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikePRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 06:23 AM   #4
Freelance
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
I have a 2019 model (revised?) that has been FLAWLESS. I am not necessarily a “winder”’guy but have purposely left it running, in addition to letting it wind down, letting run low into power-reserve during a date change, etc. My Tudor-GMT is actually keeping better time then my Batman.

I think if you are buying a 2019/new you are fine. I will be selling mine when I get the call that my Pepsi is in.
Freelance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 06:30 AM   #5
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
I'm confident Tudor is fixing this. No way they'll carry on making/servicing so many with a flaw that causes it to break every few months. I'm just waiting for the failure reports to die down. It will go down as the most ridiculously unreliable watch in history if they don't.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 06:34 AM   #6
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
I say take the chance if you buy from a good dealer they will make it right if issues arise, I can say I have been lucky with mine.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 06:35 AM   #7
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRT View Post
Got one of the first ones last year...no issues. Got another one a few months back...no issues. You’re always more likely to here negative than positive. Buy it and enjoy it, it’ll be fine.

This is what I have been considering as well. There are equally as many people who sing praises of the watch who have owned it for a year or longer. Dan Pierce comes to mind in this regard. I think this issue is being blown out of proportion by very frustrated people. Of course I am not absolving Tudor of quality issues nor their 2 year warranty which is a joke compared to the industry standard of 5 years.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 06:38 AM   #8
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
I am waiting a year before looking for one.

Gives the bad ones time to be repaired, the new ones to be produced with corrected movements, and hopefully they will by that time become more readily available from AD's with little or no wait times.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 06:40 AM   #9
Robday
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT Coke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelance View Post
I have a 2019 model (revised?) that has been FLAWLESS. I am not necessarily a “winder”’guy but have purposely left it running, in addition to letting it wind down, letting run low into power-reserve during a date change, etc. My Tudor-GMT is actually keeping better time then my Batman.

I think if you are buying a 2019/new you are fine. I will be selling mine when I get the call that my Pepsi is in.
Is there anyway to tell if it is a 2019 model?
Robday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 07:23 AM   #10
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
That's too bad, its a handsome watch
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 07:28 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Fiddlesticks.

We have heard more about the Rolex GMT II date moving only half-way, and the setting spring breaking on the 3186 than we have about the Tudor - by far.

Yet, the GMT II is one of the most sought after models out.
Old 22 September 2019, 07:32 AM   #12
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Fiddlesticks.

We have heard more about the Rolex GMT II date moving only half-way, and the setting spring breaking on the 3186 than we have about the Tudor - by far.

But the Tudor GMT has only just come out.. comparitively anyway..
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 07:33 AM   #13
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
That's too bad, its a handsome watch
So agree - on both counts.
Old 22 September 2019, 07:34 AM   #14
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

Quote:

whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 07:35 AM   #15
Miexpeman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sky Dweller,
No issues with mine, bought in Oct last year. If you get the opportunity, buy it and enjoy it

Miexpeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 07:35 AM   #16
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Fiddlesticks.

Respectfully disagree. This Tudor news is big and has been growing as more and more people are being told it will be six months or more to repair their watch. Which represents 25% of their underwhelming warranty period, btw.

Ben

PS - only anecdotal I know but this is the first time I have personally heard about the GMT II date problem you cite.
Old 22 September 2019, 07:53 AM   #17
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
I've had my Tudor GMT for about a month with no issues. Very consistent and accurate. I DID have to send my BB Chrono back due to the minute hand not returning to zero, but hanging at 1 minute.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 08:50 AM   #18
Oldwoods
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Hulk
Had mine for a couple of months now. No problems to report. Gets a lot of wrist time.
Oldwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 09:35 AM   #19
bremersm
Banned

Bought mine in April for my birthday and have had no issues.

I feel like this issue is made a bigger deal than it actually is, similar to the Porsche IMS I
issue.

bremersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 10:09 AM   #20
58junior
"TRF" Member

My Tudor black bay is dead nuts accurate. Wear it everyday 24hrs. . Great watch!
58junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 10:17 AM   #21
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58junior View Post
My Tudor black bay is dead nuts accurate. Wear it everyday 24hrs. . Great watch!
Same with my Black Bay 41. Then again, mine has the ETA movement...
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 01:44 PM   #22
nwbusa
"TRF" Member

IMO the primary concern is less about the movement’s reliability (or lack thereof) and more about Tudor’s inadequate warranty turn-around times. Mechanical things fail; Tudor needs to do better at managing the customer experience when repairs are required.
nwbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 07:40 PM   #23
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
ETA movement would be my only choice.
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 07:44 PM   #24
mg Barcelona
Banned

I picked up one of the very first ones in June last year. It's never skipped a beat. No problems at all.
mg Barcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 09:29 PM   #25
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:

Bought mine last March and it's run flawlessly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
This is what I have been considering as well. There are equally as many people who sing praises of the watch who have owned it for a year or longer. Dan Pierce comes to mind in this regard. I think this issue is being blown out of proportion by very frustrated people. Of course I am not absolving Tudor of quality issues nor their 2 year warranty which is a joke compared to the industry standard of 5 years.
Agreed, the forums can create an unrealistic wave, both pro & con. The least Tudor should do is extend the warranties to 5 years.

Quote:
Fiddlesticks.

I remember a date issue with the Day/ Date. Seems a few don't mind taking an opportunity for a little brand bashing as well.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 10:06 PM   #26
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned two of the Tudor GMT's. I got the first one from my AD when released and wore it for a while before selling it. No issues, but I owned a Rolex WG Pepsi and I thought it duplicated. Out goes the Rolex and back comes the Tudor GMT. Neither Tudor Pepsi has had any issues and runs spot on. Everyone has a preference and an opinion but my experience with Tudor ownership has been spot on. That does not mean in the future I will not have an issue but I am far enough down the road to see it for what it is. A disappointment but not the end of the world and it can be sorted. I would not let an issue with a cool watch, that has reportedly been fixed, slow me down from ownership. Just my thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190330_102646 (002).jpg (209.4 KB, 431 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2019, 10:16 PM   #27
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Had mine since December 2018 with no issues. Seems like the newer ones are much less likely to have the issue but in the end you never know. I wouldn't let it stop you from picking one up. Worst case sceneario is they take care of if and you are without it for a few months. Remember when you do internet searchers you are much more likely to hear from the people who are angry and who had issue than the thousands of others who have not had a problem. Just human nature. Love mine and if I eventually have the issue I'll let RSC fix it - but I'm keeping this watch long-term. It's such a fantastick piece and a total bargain at $3K-3.5K
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 12:08 AM   #28
bcat37645
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, 116610LN
Bought the Tudor GMT from an AD summer 2018. Got it on leather because I knew the rivet bracelet would bug me. Had the date issue after 2 months of ownership. Sent to RSC Dallas and they had it for 3 weeks or so. Went in at +6 sec and came back at +3. Then sourced a new Black Bay non-rivet bracelet and installed it. This watch gets tons of compliments and I like it but it’s a presence on the wrist. Not so much the 41mm face, but the 14.9mm thickness wears big to me. Considering the availability of Rolex GMTs, the Tudor is awesome.

A quick word on RSC Dallas. They were professional when I called but not apologetic at all and I had to pay to send it in. It went in clean with desk swirls and came back clean with desk swirls and I was very pleased the hands were re-installed perfectly. No issues with date change since the service.

Last edited by bcat37645; 23 September 2019 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: Redundant ‘the’.
bcat37645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 12:52 AM   #29
chazadams
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner / GMT
I think its terrible Tudor has had these issues and sounds like some long wait times on the fix. I experienced the date issue and it was resolved fairly quickly in late 2018.

This is an amazing watch and I cannot get it off my wrist. It competes with a SubC as a daily. The BLRO and BLNR peek their heads out of the box every now and then, but this is a terrific every day tool watch. Personally, I would not let the date issue hold me back.

Tudor's first GMT is a good one. I love the proportions, the rivet bracelet (they are not real noticeable anyway) and the watch is a strap monster to boot.
chazadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2019, 01:03 AM   #30
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I have owned two of the Tudor GMT's. I got the first one from my AD when released and wore it for a while before selling it. No issues, but I owned a Rolex WG Pepsi and I thought it duplicated. Out goes the Rolex and back comes the Tudor GMT. Neither Tudor Pepsi has had any issues and runs spot on. Everyone has a preference and an opinion but my experience with Tudor ownership has been spot on. That does not mean in the future I will not have an issue but I am far enough down the road to see it for what it is. A disappointment but not the end of the world and it can be sorted. I would not let an issue with a cool watch, that has reportedly been fixed, slow me down from ownership. Just my thoughts.
Excellent and well thought-out response. Food for thought.

Thanks. Ben,