ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > New Members

Old 25 February 2006, 08:17 AM   #1
Rto
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ-AP-PP-Rolex
Icon3 Advice for 1st Rolex

Dear All members,

I'm new to this forum as well as to Rolex...I would like to congratulate all members for the high tech level, enthusiasm and funny threads.
I became a watch enthusiast some years ago and start collecting some Tags and Omegas.

Right now, I decide to go into Rolex world and try get my first one. (I hope I will be able to get another ones in the near future)

I would appreciate if you guys could give me some advices about:

-> shopping, main ADs (if it makes any difference, discounts you Should expect to get);
-> a must have as a collector as per your oppinion and as a 1st one;
-> Relation between serial numbers X value (if any difference)..I saw already "D", "F"..what it exactly means related to value;
-> Where I can find an entire list of all model numbers, finish and bracellets options as well as price list (Rolex's official web site does not have too much info on that)

Ps.I'm more into buying a GMT II Blue/Red ("pepsi") or Black/Black (considering also a Sub)

Many thanks and sorry for the long thread.
Feel free to give me any advice
Rto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2006, 09:13 AM   #2
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Welcome, Rto. Glad to see you found our little nut house. Omega's and Tag's are nice, I've got one of each myself, but be warned, once you buy a Rolex you're not going to be able to stop Heres some links posted in the past by Padi and JJ, two of our leading aficionados. They're both great sources of information on Rolex.(the links that is)
General info
http://www.watchgeek.com/rolexservice.htm

Serial numbers
http://home20.inet.tele.dk/rolex/gb_serial_numbers.htm

The Sub and GMT II list at $4525.00. You can probably work a decent discount on the GMT, but the Sub may be a little more difficult because of it's high demand. If you're going to buy new, I would buy from an AD, thats just my opinion. Best of Luck and keep us posted
Old 25 February 2006, 09:55 AM   #3
Rto
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all info C.J. ...I will be checking it out.
Old 25 February 2006, 11:43 AM   #4
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
I'd second what Craig says. If you're new to Rolex, an AD is the safest option - just tune out when the AD craps on about limited supply, production ending soon and all that jazz that jacks up the price.

I bought a Sea Dweller first, and though I have no regrets about it I think I should have considered the Black/Black GMT-II as well. Ah well, that's next on my list!

Oh, and welcome to the nuthouse!
Old 25 February 2006, 12:20 PM   #5
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
First of all, welcome to our friendly little madhouse, Rto. Glad you found your way over here. I will agree with both Craig and James. As a first timer, go with an AD. You will be absolutely safe that way, knowing you will get the real thing. But shop around and let the ADs know you are serious but you're not going to go with their opening offer. You should be able to get anywhere from 5%-10% off list, depending on how hungry the AD is and how much he thinks he can get you as a repeat customer.

As between the choices you mention, everyone has their own opinion. If you read enough threads here you'll know that my favorite is the all black GMT-II. I can get quite passionate about it. Others feel the same way about the Sub, the No Date Sub, the EXP, etc., etc. In other words, there is no consensus on what is the best Rolex. You really have to try them on. One of them will smile at you more than the others. That's the one to get for the first one.

But let me warn you. Once you get the first one, you will be hooked. Within a few weeks or months you will start looking at other Rolexes to add to your collection. You are starting down a slippery slope and there is no way out of the hole you will be digging for yourself.

But that's why we're all here. We are all hooked on Rolexes and other watches. So go ahead, take the plunge and enjoy.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2006, 12:20 PM   #6
Uncle-AJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
Hello Rto and welcome to TRF. Good luck with the shopping!

Member #10
Uncle-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2006, 01:15 PM   #7
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
RTO, a big hello and glad to have you here at TRF. The others seem to have covered it pretty well although I will also stress an AD if at all possible. Have fun, enjoy your stay and good luck in the hunt.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2006, 01:55 PM   #8
Rto
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the advices and for the warm welcome!
I'm just getting back home from a first (fast) visit to 2 ADs here in the are (Mayors and Promenade)...I had the opportunity to check the GMT Master II on Blue/Red and on Black/Black both very nice (the sub SS w/ date Black/Black one they don't have available and the estimated time to get is 4-8 weeks if ordered)...Both dealers gave me the price of $4,525 (GMTs or Sub w/date) and told me after that there will be No discount at all. Discounts only and maybe on the Two tones or gold ones.
Their justification (both) was that they sell it easier and no need to apply any kind of discount.
One AD offers 2 yrs warranty thru Rolex and 3 extra years provided by them.
Does anyone know any AD (name/city) that would be for sure offering a discount?
Thanks again
Old 25 February 2006, 02:35 PM   #9
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hi Rto,

A big welcome to TRF. I feel sad that you guys not only have to wait so long for some of the sports models, but that after such a long wait, still get absolutely no discount whatsoever.

I think I'm lucky in that respect to have such a good AD like Mansor's. The GMT-II and Sub-date are both excellent timepieces. Good luck in your final choice and acquisition.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2006, 08:15 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Welcome to TRF Rto cannot add much to whats already been said.But try a few watches on and the one that smiles back thats the one to get.Don't be afraid to bargain with your AD,its up to you to get the best deal.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2006, 12:48 AM   #11
Rto
"TRF" Member

Tks JJ! I will do a research on ADs in the area and choose the best one.

Last edited by Rto; 26 February 2006 at 01:05 AM..
Old 26 February 2006, 01:03 AM   #12
Rto
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
Welcome to TRF Rto cannot add much to whats already been said.But try a few watches on and the one that smiles back thats the one to get.Don't be afraid to bargain with your AD,its up to you to get the best deal.
Yes padi! I will first see wich model fits better and then push the AD on that.
Thanks for the welcome!

Ps.When I was reffering before to check wich AD would be better, I meant wich dealer in the US, for example, would be considered the largest one in terms of numbers of pieces sold monthly or on year basis...(maybe this one would have some type of bigger "quota" established by Rolex to be achieved and so be eligible to receive some kind of bonus, rebate from total sales and so more sensitive about giving discounts to a customers
Old 26 February 2006, 02:33 AM   #13
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rto
Yes padi! I will first see wich model fits better and then push the AD on that.
Thanks for the welcome!

Ps.When I was reffering before to check wich AD would be better, I meant wich dealer in the US, for example, would be considered the largest one in terms of numbers of pieces sold monthly or on year basis...(maybe this one would have some type of bigger "quota" established by Rolex to be achieved and so be eligible to receive some kind of bonus, rebate from total sales and so more sensitive about giving discounts to a customers
Hi Rto,

That last bit in your P.S., may or may not reflect upon the fact as to whether your dealer can give a better discount depending on his sales volume. A big dealer with a bigger "quota" as you say, would also be a dealer with a larger turnover.

In that case, such a dealer may not find it necessary to give a large discount 'cause his watches are already selling at the existing prices. I believe different States in the USA have different taxes. Yesteday, I learnt from our friend, CJ, that there is a 6% TAX over and above the full list price of say, a Sub-date which is $4,525. Add 6% to this price and you've got a new price of almost $4,800 - WOW, that is ridiculous!

Perhaps you would be better off advertising the fact that you're in the market for a new Sub-date or a new GMT-II in "For Sale / Wanting to Buy" section. There are plenty of good guys here who can get you an excellent deal on a brand new one at a much better price than any of your rip-off ADs.

Good luck - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 26 February 2006 at 02:34 AM..
Old 26 February 2006, 12:29 PM   #14
Rto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Hi Rto,

That last bit in your P.S., may or may not reflect upon the fact as to whether your dealer can give a better discount depending on his sales volume. A big dealer with a bigger "quota" as you say, would also be a dealer with a larger turnover.

In that case, such a dealer may not find it necessary to give a large discount 'cause his watches are already selling at the existing prices. I believe different States in the USA have different taxes. Yesteday, I learnt from our friend, CJ, that there is a 6% TAX over and above the full list price of say, a Sub-date which is $4,525. Add 6% to this price and you've got a new price of almost $4,800 - WOW, that is ridiculous!

Perhaps you would be better off advertising the fact that you're in the market for a new Sub-date or a new GMT-II in "For Sale / Wanting to Buy" section. There are plenty of good guys here who can get you an excellent deal on a brand new one at a much better price than any of your rip-off ADs.

Good luck - JJ
Thanks again for the tip!
Do you mean that maybe some of the guys here belongs or have a better relationship to any AD and could help me out? (Just asking because I'm definetely thinking about getting thru an AD for all reasons and advices received so far.

Forgot to mention...here in Florida, you pay 6,5% sales tax over the price...so it's pretty much the math you described.
Another idea would be maybe getting thru an AD outside the state and have it shipped (this way you avoid sales tax), but at the same time it would be something strange buying a watch by phone without touching it and giving an opportunity too receive a "Smile", specially a Rolex (I imagine)...

Last edited by Rto; 26 February 2006 at 12:34 PM..
Old 26 February 2006, 12:39 PM   #15
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Welcome RTO.
I'm stuck up here in Canada & have been looking at "importing" watches, From what I've found, AD's are relucted to ship cross border or even Cross State.
I forget who it was, but one member on this board lives in Mexico. He was saying that a quick round trip air tix from Florida to Mex & back is one idea. He was saying that the prices in Mex were very good & your savings would cover the air.
Worth looking into.
Good luck on you pick. You MUST put each of your choices on your wrist & see which one makes you smile the most.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2006, 04:07 PM   #16
Rto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch Mini
Welcome RTO.
I'm stuck up here in Canada & have been looking at "importing" watches, From what I've found, AD's are relucted to ship cross border or even Cross State.
I forget who it was, but one member on this board lives in Mexico. He was saying that a quick round trip air tix from Florida to Mex & back is one idea. He was saying that the prices in Mex were very good & your savings would cover the air.
Worth looking into.
Good luck on you pick. You MUST put each of your choices on your wrist & see which one makes you smile the most.
Many thanks for the info!
One concern that I would like to share with you and with all here is about something strange (at my point of view) that happened so far with me during this first research thru out some ADs in the area as well as thru some in others states: they all told me for example that the 16610LV (also considering this one) is almost sold out and almost impossible to get, that the estimated time could be much more than an year waiting and even if they have it or could get faster it would be offered only to VIP customers with some kind of purchase history and that they could "reject selling it" or maybe putting as unavailable if they want.
That sounded very bad to me. I just don't know at this point if maybe that's the way Rolex ADs work in general or if I was unlucky and got some jerks on my way to get my first Rolex.
Is there any place at the web listing all ADs infos?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Rto; 26 February 2006 at 04:11 PM..
Old 26 February 2006, 04:27 PM   #17
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Rto,

Contact this guy, Bob Puscizna, he's very reliable and his prices are excellent....he would be your best bet for a genuine and reasonably priced Rolex. Send him a PM and somehow try and get in touch with him. You will not find a better or more reliable preson. I highly recommend him.

Good luck - JJ

http://www.rolexforums.com/member.php?u=226

Last edited by JJ Irani; 26 February 2006 at 04:29 PM..
Old 26 February 2006, 07:54 PM   #18
Rto
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rto,

Contact this guy, Bob Puscizna, he's very reliable and his prices are excellent....he would be your best bet for a genuine and reasonably priced Rolex. Send him a PM and somehow try and get in touch with him. You will not find a better or more reliable preson. I highly recommend him.

Good luck - JJ

http://www.rolexforums.com/member.php?u=226
Thanks again "guru"! I will be contacting him and check.
Did you make any purchase already with him?
Old 27 February 2006, 12:21 AM   #19
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Hi Rto,

Good luck - JJ
The sales tax here in the USA varies from state to state JJ. Then the counties have their hands in the pot also. In the county where I live, it's 9.5% on all purchases. This incldes everything. Food, clothes, even if you go out to dinner, they add tax on to your bill. This is the highest rate in the state. The tax on a gallon of gas is somewhere in the neighborhood of .50-.60 cents.
Old 27 February 2006, 02:29 AM   #20
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman
The sales tax here in the USA varies from state to state JJ. Then the counties have their hands in the pot also. In the county where I live, it's 9.5% on all purchases. This incldes everything. Food, clothes, even if you go out to dinner, they add tax on to your bill. This is the highest rate in the state. The tax on a gallon of gas is somewhere in the neighborhood of .50-.60 cents.
Paul, you actually county tax on top of state tax
Old 27 February 2006, 02:52 AM   #21
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rto
Thanks again "guru"! I will be contacting him and check.
Did you make any purchase already with him?
Rto,

I live in NZ and make all my purchases through my regular AD, Mansor's Jewellers. Bob is in the US so he can supply only to buyers there. But if I were living in the US, he's one person I wouldn't hesitate to buy from. Guaranteed authenticity and superb prices!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 27 February 2006 at 03:00 AM..
Old 27 February 2006, 02:55 AM   #22
Johnny B

Watch: All of 'em!!
Quote:

I feel your taxation pain!! They tax the hell out of us here in CT and the gas is close to $3/gal (prem)!!!! The Rolex AD's here are also out of their minds. When I bought my first sub, the AD would NOT give me any type of discount whatsoever. He gave me every line from here to Albequerque: sold out, hard to get, waiting list, etc. I finally had to have Ralph call up for me (he's the world's best bullshitter !!) and he got the guy to give me a 5% discount. I had to pretend to be his boyfriend, though; I said I was picking the watch up for him!! I swear to God, they're just like gangsters .
Anyways, I agree with everyone else:try one on and see which one makes you smile. But, might I be as bold as to suggest a black Exp II? The 2nd time zone hand is fun to play with!!! Good luck and welcome aboard !!
Johnny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2006, 04:39 AM   #23
Rto
"TRF" Member

Icon20

Quote:
Rto,

I live in NZ and make all my purchases through my regular AD, Mansor's Jewellers. Bob is in the US so he can supply only to buyers there. But if I were living in the US, he's one person I wouldn't hesitate to buy from. Guaranteed authenticity and superb prices!!
Hi JJ, I exchanged already an email with Bob (thanks for the advice), but unfortunately he told me that he does not have any at the present. (maybe I scared him with my wish) list I will try to exchange some more emails with him and see if we can work something out.
BTW
Does anybody know a realistic estimated time to get as well as retail price for the following:

16610 LV
116520 SS w/ white dial

and also how does it work when entering on a waiting list thru an AD...(first come, first serve?)

Thank you all!
Old 27 February 2006, 04:49 AM   #24
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Rto, another member you might try to contact is Val

http://www.rolexforums.com/member.php?u=355

He works for a jeweler (I think they're a Rolex AD) in Dallas or Houston (at least somewhere in Texas). He might be able to help you.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2006, 05:16 AM   #25
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
Paul, you actually county tax on top of state tax
Yep. They both are added in together whenever you purchase something.
Old 27 February 2006, 05:19 AM   #26
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B
I had to pretend to be his boyfriend
I hope you told the AD that Ralphie was the catcher.
Old 27 February 2006, 05:30 AM   #27
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep. They both are added in together whenever you purchase something.

That sucks, bad. I guess you have Hillary to thank for that
Old 27 February 2006, 05:31 AM   #28
C.J.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hope you told the AD that Ralphie was the catcher.
hey, there Ralphie boy, whoa
Old 27 February 2006, 08:24 AM   #29
mailman

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.
That sucks, bad. I guess you have Hillary to thank for that
Nah, it's been around long before her.
Old 14 June 2006, 02:46 AM   #30
bigG

Watch: My TT Sub/Daytona
You will get hooked....

Rockrolex is correct, once you are in you will no longer have control of your actions, the lure of additional Rolex's will overtake you. I stated with a nice new S/G Sub, a beautiful watch. Within a year I had a new S/G Daytona. Now I am jonesing for a SS Daytona (which is impossible to get) or a GMT. But it's a nice habit to have

By the way, this never used to bother me much, but now when the uninformed ask me, "It just tells time, why do you need to spend that much when you can get the same thing from a $100 Seiko?", I have to be restrained from going after him. But then I say to myself, you either get it or you don't, and if you don't there is no use in wasting any energy on them. Anyway good luck with your watch
bigG is offline   Reply With Quote