The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 September 2021, 08:39 PM   #1
Patek_collector
"TRF" Member

Trade 5230G pkus cash for an FP Journe Octa lune, Rose Gold and Havana dial… what do

I have a decent Patek collection and i am not using my 5230G as much. I am offered to trafe it ( plus cash) with an F.P. Journe octa Lune rose gold with Havna dial (picture below). What do you think? Interested in your opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patek_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 08:49 PM   #2
flava_1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3800/1J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek_collector View Post
I have a decent Patek collection and i am not using my 5230G as much. I am offered to trafe it ( plus cash) with an F.P. Journe octa Lune rose gold with Havna dial (picture below). What do you think? Interested in your opinion.

Always a tough decision to sell a Patek. If you already have a collection that gets good wrist time then not a bad way to get into a great FPJourne.

Personally I try to keep my collection to pieces that actually get worn as I feel oddly guilty for pieces that sit in a safe that someone could be enjoying.

Sent using Tapatalk
flava_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 09:42 PM   #3
ts3
"TRF" Member

Much prefer the 5110 over the 5230 WTs as I don't like the specific guilloche and the cities font on the 5230. As a result I would consider a trade into an FPJ but more likely into a CS than the Octa Lune.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 10:04 PM   #4
Patek_collector
"TRF" Member

why CS over octa lune?

interested to know
Old 12 September 2021, 10:09 PM   #5
flava_1
"TRF" Member

Here's 2 great articles which will highlight the differences for you. CS is manual and Octa automatic as you may already know.

http://thejourneguy.com/rediscoverin...tre-souverain/

http://thejourneguy.com/a-movement-t...tion-the-octa/

Both have a great history and a mad genius creator!

Enjoy
Old 12 September 2021, 10:29 PM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
interested to know
I find the manual movement of the CS more special and tend to be drawn to simplicity in my watches rather than complexity.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 10:35 PM   #7
flava_1
"TRF" Member

My 2 cents are that with the CS you can better see the beauty of the movement as there is no rotor obscuring the lovely twin barrels. Whereas with the Octa (depending on which one) you have some beautiful asymmetries in the movement or the watch dial that are in themselves works of art. CS has the more plain and traditional look to the dial in almost all cases except maybe the Octa auto.
Lastly you have to enjoy manually winding a watch to get a manual whereas any Octa will be self winding when wearing and with natural movement.
Personally I like an automatic watch for say to eat wear but also have some manuals that I typically wear on special occasions.
To each his/her own!!

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 12 September 2021, 11:29 PM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I vote yes money aside.
Old 12 September 2021, 11:44 PM   #9
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I will trade for the FPJ. It will be an easy decision for me because I like the layout of the Octa Lune dial which is supposedly asymmetrical but they look balanced as a package. It reminds me of the 5712 although the locations of the complications sub-dials are entirely different. I'm also waiting for an Octa Lune RG and hope I can get lucky with my AD. Good luck with your decision.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 12:15 AM   #10
llngoc
"TRF" Member

I also vote for CS as we discussed in the other forum. But given the scarcity of FPJ, I know it may not be a choice.

As you said, you do not wear this Patek much anymore, is it because you have fallen out of love with it? It is very different from the Octa Lune as the WT is a very busy dial but the Lune is very minimalist. I personally like the simple dial of the FPJ and hence I am on the WL for the CS as of now. The other question you need to answer is that, how do you like the Havana dial? It is rarer than the regular dial but personally I feel that it is not as versatile. But of course your opinion matter most. And as an entry into the brand, I feel that something more basic would be more suitable.

One last thought; I don’t know how much the market value of the 5230G is but what is the price of this Octa Lune would be after the trade-in plus cash? I bet it would be more than the price of a new one from the boutique? Have you considered getting one new from the boutique? There will be a wait but Octa Lune is not like a Resonance or Chronometre Optimum, so the wait is relatively short. I think a 2023 delivery is doable. (But of course only the boutique can tell you for sure)

FPJ is very special but not better than a Patek. But it definitely will add variety to your collection. I think you will enjoy it alongside the Pateks.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 03:09 AM   #11
mchen42
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I also vote for CS as we discussed in the other forum. But given the scarcity of FPJ, I know it may not be a choice.

As you said, you do not wear this Patek much anymore, is it because you have fallen out of love with it? It is very different from the Octa Lune as the WT is a very busy dial but the Lune is very minimalist. I personally like the simple dial of the FPJ and hence I am on the WL for the CS as of now. The other question you need to answer is that, how do you like the Havana dial? It is rarer than the regular dial but personally I feel that it is not as versatile. But of course your opinion matter most. And as an entry into the brand, I feel that something more basic would be more suitable.

One last thought; I don’t know how much the market value of the 5230G is but what is the price of this Octa Lune would be after the trade-in plus cash? I bet it would be more than the price of a new one from the boutique? Have you considered getting one new from the boutique? There will be a wait but Octa Lune is not like a Resonance or Chronometre Optimum, so the wait is relatively short. I think a 2023 delivery is doable. (But of course only the boutique can tell you for sure)

FPJ is very special but not better than a Patek. But it definitely will add variety to your collection. I think you will enjoy it alongside the Pateks.

The waiting list for Octa Lune is pretty long. It should be about 3-4 years. Auto Lune is fine. The market value for 40mm Salmon Lune is surprisingly high. The EWC had a 42mm salmon lune for sale but it has been sold in one day. The list price is 86k usd...

mchen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 03:20 AM   #12
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchen42 View Post
The waiting list for Octa Lune is pretty long. It should be about 3-4 years. Auto Lune is fine. The market value for 40mm Salmon Lune is surprisingly high. The EWC had a 42mm salmon lune for sale but it has been sold in one day. The list price is 86k usd...

I think the OP is looking for an Automatique Lune. I think most of the time when people mentioned Octa, they meant automatique.

The Lune you are referring to is probably the one just Lune and it is the one with the asymmetrical dial. That one I think does have a long list now since the relaunch. And the price is indeed high.

The Automatique Lune wanted by the OP should not be too bad of a wait though. My AD told me that it is “easier” than even a CS.
Old 13 September 2021, 03:39 AM   #13
mchen42
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think the OP is looking for an Automatique Lune. I think most of the time when people mentioned Octa, they meant automatique.

The Lune you are referring to is probably the one just Lune and it is the one with the asymmetrical dial. That one I think does have a long list now since the relaunch. And the price is indeed high.

The Automatique Lune wanted by the OP should not be too bad of a wait though. My AD told me that it is “easier” than even a CS.

Yes, in my opinion, CS is also a better choice. The dial of automatique Lune is too complicated and asymmetrical. Havana dial of automatique Lune could be possible choice but too difficult to get.

mchen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 07:16 AM   #14
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Octa lune is great. I would take it over a 5230 any day. So I suppose it depends how much cash you are talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 08:19 AM   #15
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
My opinion would be to trade the Patek for the FPJ no additional cash
If it had Riyadh on the dial instead of Moscow I might consider keeping it

Old 13 September 2021, 12:09 PM   #16
CountryBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun, moon, heehaw
I would not do such a trade, with or without the money. Have always loved Patek world timers.
CountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 08:47 PM   #17
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
My opinion would be to trade the Patek for the FPJ no additional cash
If it had Riyadh on the dial instead of Moscow I might consider keeping it

I don’t think I this is realistic - I believe the octa lune Havana has higher secondary market price than 5230g. I think their retail prices are roughly equivalent.

JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 09:10 PM   #18
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I was a little confused by the naming convention too. Is Octa Automatique Lune same as Automatique Lune please? Octa line seems to be discontinued (now under retrospective collection) according to FPJ website, and the Octa Automatique Lune size is from 38mm to 40mm. The current Automatique Lune is 40 to 42mm. Is size the only difference? Are there other differences in the placement of subdial, movement, etc, please? Sorry for these noob questions as I'm trying to learn more about the brand
Old 13 September 2021, 09:12 PM   #19
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Octa lune is great. I would take it over a 5230 any day. So I suppose it depends how much cash you are talking about.

No matter how much cash you have to add you should do this trade.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 11:25 PM   #20
Patek_collector
"TRF" Member

The extra cash…was supposed to be almost $25K so i declined it. 5230G market price is 30K and octa lune havana is $55K

Old 14 September 2021, 12:58 AM   #21
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The extra cash…was supposed to be almost $25K so i declined it. 5230G market price is 30K and octa lune havana is $55K

You should just try to get on the waitlist at the boutique and get it at list price.
Old 14 September 2021, 03:07 PM   #22
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I was a little confused by the naming convention too. Is Octa Automatique Lune same as Automatique Lune please? Octa line seems to be discontinued (now under retrospective collection) according to FPJ website, and the Octa Automatique Lune size is from 38mm to 40mm. The current Automatique Lune is 40 to 42mm. Is size the only difference? Are there other differences in the placement of subdial, movement, etc, please? Sorry for these noob questions as I'm trying to learn more about the brand
From what I read in the website, both Octa and the new Automatique Lune are using the same Octa 1300.3 movement. The differences are:

1) Case size - Octa case size is 38mm and 40mm, while the new Automatique Lune is 40mm and 42mm.

2) Automatique Lune has a larger date aperture (4.7 x 2.6 mm) and a moon in sapphire.

3) The Guilloche Clou de Paris silver dial in the new Automatique Lune is more "flushed" with the hour hand and power reserve indicator. The hour hand in the Octa is shorter.

4) The crown in the new Automatique Lune is bigger and it appears to balance nicely with the power reserve indicator at 9.