The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 September 2021, 01:14 AM   #1
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

It's time... to get in trouble

Until few years ago I thought that getting a classic two tone DJ together with my Tag Carrera was more than sufficient for me.

Then I got interested in divers and I was very happy (and lucky) to add a Seamaster and a Sub to my collection.

I thought that with the addition of a chrono, ideally a Speedy, my collection would be well balanced.
My long term goal was to add a Rolex GMT and be done.

Unfortunately, a few days ago I went to look at some jewels and I said: why not to check Patek?.
Well, I saw the light

I had a nice chat with the associate. We looked at the catalog together and tried some incredible pieces including a world time. It's just unbelievable.
The level of finishing is superb.

I got shocked about not having realized this before. I guess that for somebody like me took years to build some knowledge about horology and now I can truly appreciate the level of these timepieces.

I'm in trouble because I believe something clicked in my mind and I decided I don't care anymore about getting a batman, an LV or any other Rolex sport pieces.
I'm just thinking about 5167 and 5196G, and getting obsessed with these two!
I know the Calatrava is definitely more accessible and I know the Aquanaut might never happen. But it is what it is. I got on a probably "fake" list of interest and whatever will be will be.

Do you guys had a similar approach to Patek Philippe?
Or you appreciated their pieces since the beginning of your interest in watches?

And most importantly is there a way back, after you saw the light?
My interest in getting other pieces just vanished for now.
I guess this is just human nature. Or maybe I'm just crazy!

PS: If anybody would like to share some pics of their 5196G and/or Aquanaut, and share how they arrived to this choice would be very cool.
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 06:10 AM   #2
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Welcome to world of Patek.

Warning: its addictive :)

And you should start with Calatrava line, as you mentioned 5196G.

Always buy from Patek AD and start a relationship. And always ask yourself why should an AD sell you Nautilus and Aquanauts :) It will help you down the line.
Old 3 September 2021, 06:24 AM   #3
Brian7708
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua&TTpilot
I remember looking at a DuPont registry magazine in when I was 15 yo in 1993 and thinking “who are these Patek people and why do they have the audacity to charge more money for a watch than Rolex. Isn’t Rolex king? These Patek watches don’t even have a logo like a crown or an Omega symbol. And they’re so plain!”
I came around to Patek and AP around age 30 but never thought I could ever afford one. I started on Rolex after the shortage started in 2018. With the hype and the stratospheric prices, I said “why not pay a little more and get the real deal, a PP?” So I did. Love it so much I sold my 2 rolexes (white DayC and explr1) and i don’t regret it.
You don’t have to start with a 5196 Calatrava, you can also look at the Time travel pilot. It’s a little more unique and comes in 2 sizes, 42 or 37mm. You’ll find yourself wearing it more often than you think.
Brian7708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 07:28 AM   #4
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringhio View Post
I know the Calatrava is definitely more accessible and I know the Aquanaut might never happen.
my first Patek was a Calatrava 3919J...and to be honest, it could've easily been my one and only watch.
i believe one feels the goes through natural progression in the world of Patek if their first Patek was a Calatrava. it is the way Patek intended it to be

in your case, a 5196G could very well lead to a 5167.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3919Jc2.jpg (279.4 KB, 1439 views)
Old 3 September 2021, 10:30 AM   #5
wetsum3
"TRF" Member

I started with a 5196g and it’s about a perfect forever watch. Classic, versatile, comfortable, and subtle. Pretty much the perfect companion with a suite and casual dress. I’ve even worn it with slacks and a 1/4 zip pullover. No restrictions really. You can’t go wrong.
wetsum3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 12:06 PM   #6
77T
2024 Pledge Member

My first and only Patek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 12:19 PM   #7
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Welcome to world of Patek.

Warning: its addictive :)

And you should start with Calatrava line, as you mentioned 5196G.

Always buy from Patek AD and start a relationship. And always ask yourself why should an AD sell you Nautilus and Aquanauts :) It will help you down the line.
Yes, the addiction is my main concern!

I’m not sure they will ever consider me for an Aquanaut. My history with the AD is long enough, but with jewels only and more or less 15K. Although I’m a loyal client for sure I don’t qualify for a super hot reference.

Anyway, I’ve to say that when I mentioned my interest in the aquanaut, they didn’t say it was impossible, actually they said “we have to start somewhere and you have some history with us”.
So I took this with a never say never state of mind.
Old 3 September 2021, 12:23 PM   #8
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian7708 View Post
I remember looking at a DuPont registry magazine in when I was 15 yo in 1993 and thinking “who are these Patek people and why do they have the audacity to charge more money for a watch than Rolex. Isn’t Rolex king? These Patek watches don’t even have a logo like a crown or an Omega symbol. And they’re so plain!”
I came around to Patek and AP around age 30 but never thought I could ever afford one. I started on Rolex after the shortage started in 2018. With the hype and the stratospheric prices, I said “why not pay a little more and get the real deal, a PP?” So I did. Love it so much I sold my 2 rolexes (white DayC and explr1) and i don’t regret it.
You don’t have to start with a 5196 Calatrava, you can also look at the Time travel pilot. It’s a little more unique and comes in 2 sizes, 42 or 37mm. You’ll find yourself wearing it more often than you think.
I will look into this reference, thanks for the suggestion and for sharing your experience. The Calatrava looked like the perfect entry piece, but the one you are suggesting looks very interesting as well. It’s a GMT right?
Old 3 September 2021, 12:29 PM   #9
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for sharing some pics.
I’ve asked for the Calatrava with smooth bezel, but I guess the classic one is the other.

The AD just contacted me today, as a nice gesture he is sending me a Patek catalog… so I guess I can do some “studying” :)
Old 3 September 2021, 07:02 PM   #10
Xerxes77
Banned

Welcome to the club
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2021, 10:12 PM   #11
Rushne
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Quote:
Until few years ago I thought that getting a classic two tone DJ together with my Tag Carrera was more than sufficient for me.

Then I got interested in divers and I was very happy (and lucky) to add a Seamaster and a Sub to my collection.

I thought that with the addition of a chrono, ideally a Speedy, my collection would be well balanced.
My long term goal was to add a Rolex GMT and be done.

Unfortunately, a few days ago I went to look at some jewels and I said: why not to check Patek?.
Well, I saw the light

I had a nice chat with the associate. We looked at the catalog together and tried some incredible pieces including a world time. It's just unbelievable.
The level of finishing is superb.

I got shocked about not having realized this before. I guess that for somebody like me took years to build some knowledge about horology and now I can truly appreciate the level of these timepieces.

I'm in trouble because I believe something clicked in my mind and I decided I don't care anymore about getting a batman, an LV or any other Rolex sport pieces.
I know the Calatrava is definitely more accessible and I know the Aquanaut might never happen. But it is what it is. I got on a probably "fake" list of interest and whatever will be will be.

Do you guys had a similar approach to Patek Philippe?
Or you appreciated their pieces since the beginning of your interest in watches?

And most importantly is there a way back, after you saw the light?
My interest in getting other pieces just vanished for now.
I guess this is just human nature. Or maybe I'm just crazy!

PS: If anybody would like to share some pics of their 5196G and/or Aquanaut, and share how they arrived to this choice would be very cool.

I had a very similar approach.

For years I just didn't love Patek, but I had never seen one in the metal. Then met someone at a party with a lovely 5065 and instantly knew I would love to have a Patek some day.
Then in 2018 when sick and tired of the Rolex shenanigans, I thought "Why not shift the goal post forward and get a Patek as I cant get any Rolex anyway?"
Which then saw me get an Aquanaut that I absolutely love.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A

@mechanicaltom
Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2021, 01:58 AM   #12
Brian7708
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua&TTpilot
OP, yes TT pilot has two hour hands. I used to keep them separate bc I thought it looked cool. I stopped that after a week. It was throwing me off and I don’t travel.
Brian7708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2021, 02:21 AM   #13
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushne View Post
I had a very similar approach.

For years I just didn't love Patek, but I had never seen one in the metal. Then met someone at a party with a lovely 5065 and instantly knew I would love to have a Patek some day.
Then in 2018 when sick and tired of the Rolex shenanigans, I thought "Why not shift the goal post forward and get a Patek as I cant get any Rolex anyway?"
Which then saw me get an Aquanaut that I absolutely love.
Thanks for sharing!
Yes, it seems we had a similar approach to Patek... the only little difference is that you DO have a PP :)
While I'm still in the " oh I wish I could get a Patek one day " mode.

Can I ask you if you had an history with the AD or if the Aquanaut was your first piece with them?

I know the market, and I know that there are many factors in play, I'm just trying to gauge my expectations and see how I can make this happen.
From one side not having an history with Patek is a bad thing.
From the other side as they said I have to start somewhere.
Also, I only purchased jewels from the AD and never got watches with them, I'm wondering if this will be perceived as a plus or a minus.
I think they know I'm a "WIS"... but I have zero experience with the brand, and I'm not sure how to deal with them.
Old 4 September 2021, 03:30 AM   #14
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Many people go through various stages in the watch collecting journey. Initially many see Rolex as the king and wonder why people spend more money on other watch brands. Then some see the light and start looking at Patek, AP, VC and some others. Eventually after acquiring a few from the high end brands, some will also go back and appreciate why Rolex is still king and why collectors all over the world still revere Rolex as a brand. Others will venture into the smaller brands like FPJ, etc. Some will look at the smaller brands and realize they are too much of a niche brand.

Best of luck in your watch journey! Hope you find the Patek of your dreams and enjoy wearing it in good health
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2021, 06:12 PM   #15
Rushne
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Quote:
Thanks for sharing!
Yes, it seems we had a similar approach to Patek... the only little difference is that you DO have a PP :)
While I'm still in the " oh I wish I could get a Patek one day " mode.

Can I ask you if you had an history with the AD or if the Aquanaut was your first piece with them?

I know the market, and I know that there are many factors in play, I'm just trying to gauge my expectations and see how I can make this happen.
From one side not having an history with Patek is a bad thing.
From the other side as they said I have to start somewhere.
Also, I only purchased jewels from the AD and never got watches with them, I'm wondering if this will be perceived as a plus or a minus.
I think they know I'm a "WIS"... but I have zero experience with the brand, and I'm not sure how to deal with them.
Sure!
I had only bought a watch winder from them years before.
However I think a few things came into play.
It’s my local AD. So not being a tourist for a change might have helped.
Also, I put my deposit down April 2018 for a 5167 on a bracelet which wasn’t super hyped at the time. So they only had 1 other person wanting one. Got delivered 11 months later.
Finally. Stockholm is not very large. They have two Patek dealers for about 1 million people.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A

@mechanicaltom
Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2021, 10:36 AM   #16
Dr Process
"TRF" Member

Watch: your hands
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
My first and only Patek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The thing exudes class.
Dr Process is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 03:13 PM   #17
Breizh
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the club :-)
It’s a great place to be but it can be expensive!

Funny enough my path was the exact opposite.
I grew up outside Geneva so Patek was always on my mind since I was a teenager.
Once the Aquanaut came out I knew it was for me. At the time nobody wanted them (a rubber strap on a Patek? The horror!!)
So my first watch was a 5065. I wore it for many years and loved it. I only traded it (too soon) to get a 5726/001 which is also on a rubber strap but has a complication (which I always wanted in a Patek).
Fast forward a few years, I still have and love the Nautilus but was missing the simplicity of the Aquanaut. I never thought I would but I did. By that time though the Aquanauts were at Nautilus prices so that’s when I joined the Rolex club for my daily (thankfully barely missing the craze on that one).
The Aquanaut is so simple, light and comfortable. It’s a great piece. I truly miss it.
Good luck in your hunt :-)

Here’s a pic of my first love ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6EDE33EB-795C-42EC-94AB-4C6CE54D36DB.jpeg (59.8 KB, 599 views)
Breizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 07:44 PM   #18
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
Through the years owned a number of Rolex .When i got my Aquanaut in 1999 it became my only watch since.
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 04:56 PM   #19
Simon.DGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek World Time
Aquanaut is a nice watch. You don’t need Rolex when you have Aquanaut, but Aquanaut is not the end of your watch collection journey, many are above Aquanaut
Simon.DGV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 05:10 AM   #20
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Well... today I got an unexpected "gift" from the PP AD: the associate sent me the catalog and the PP magazine with a nice note. I know it doesn't mean that I will get any watch from them, but still I take it as a nice gesture and a "never say never" sign.

Who knows. I believe at least it's clear that I didn't approach them to get hot pieces and resell them.