The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 8 September 2021, 05:45 AM   #1
bin31z
"TRF" Member

Cartier boutique claims watch was stolen...advice

Just took a santos in for service and now the boutique is saying that their system is showing the watch as being stolen in 2016 when I purchased the watch in 2019 on Ebay. I provided all the sale documents and it has been a month and they keep telling me they are working on it. I haven't even been shown the police report or anything from the original theft. Any advice on how to proceed?
bin31z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 06:06 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
find the seller on ebay and alert them. alert ebay as well that the seller sold you a stolen watch.

you may have no recourse ultimately.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 07:49 AM   #3
quantumdna
"TRF" Member

Watch: VC 4000V
So sorry to hear that. Do you have the original warranty card that came with the watch? If yes, you can work with Cartier to trace the lineage of the watch.

It is also possible that someone committed insurance fraud but claiming insurance on a watch that was not really lost or stolen and after get the replacement money on the watch sold the watch to a grey dealer or on eBay.

Unless you or the eBay seller is able to trace back the original seller, it may be difficult to recover your money. Moreover so long has passed, I doubt anything can be done.

I say this because a good friend who is also on this forum had the exact similar issue with a Rolex 16570. But in his case he had sent the watch for service to RSC right after he got it. And the eBay seller was kind enough to refund his money back.
Old 8 September 2021, 11:11 PM   #4
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Look up your rights as a bona fide purchaser. You may be protected even if in fact the watch was stolen. Dealing with Cartier is another matter entirely.
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 01:46 AM   #5
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
In the US, your recourse is through the seller and getting a refund. Not much you can do with Cartier if they have proof that the watch was stolen.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 01:58 AM   #6
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately if the watch is in fact stolen, it may prove difficult to get it back. Only recourse will be with Ebay/seller...maybe.

Always buy the seller not the deal. Plenty of trusted sellers here on TRF.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 04:43 AM   #7
bin31z
"TRF" Member

Yeah, live and learn I guess.
bin31z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 06:09 AM   #8
stockae92
"TRF" Member

How does Cartier proves that the watch is stolen? Was there a police report on file?

If the watch is in fact stolen, would the eBay seller be liable to be responsible for it if they claim the watch is a trade in?
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 04:40 PM   #9
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

Paul Thorpe released a video on YouTube recently regarding his own stolen rolex (he was scammed) and then it magically appearing at a RSC ~5 years later; Rolex alerted him but they won't return the watch to him or the person (most likely an innocent victim) who placed it for service. He provided all the details rolex requested (police report etc) and got donuts.

I never even considered this when buying used, now it's just as much of a concern as the watch being genuine.
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 07:50 PM   #10
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Has Cartier shown you the proof that it was stolen? You could sue them in small claims court if they have not. Probably not of interest to a lawyer if the amount in controversy is under $10K.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 09:46 PM   #11
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I suggest going to Cartier and stealing a replacement. Eye for an eye!
Old 9 September 2021, 09:51 PM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
This could easily be solved with a distributed ledger and a key. Watch brands are so behind.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2021, 12:26 AM   #13
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
This could easily be solved with a distributed ledger and a key. Watch brands are so behind.
Lol, you think a bunch of 40+ year olds would be ok with this or be able to figure it out?
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2021, 12:35 AM   #14
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post

Isn’t breitling using blockchain? I thought I heard that.
Old 10 September 2021, 02:06 AM   #15
dannyp
Banned

Besides transaction details, any proof you have that it wasn’t stolen? Such as warranty card or original purchase receipt matching name of eBay seller?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2021, 02:40 AM   #16
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_ View Post
Paul Thorpe released a video on YouTube recently regarding his own stolen rolex (he was scammed) and then it magically appearing at a RSC ~5 years later; Rolex alerted him but they won't return the watch to him or the person (most likely an innocent victim) who placed it for service. He provided all the details rolex requested (police report etc) and got donuts.

I never even considered this when buying used, now it's just as much of a concern as the watch being genuine.
With proof (documentation, police report, etc), shouldn't Rolex release the watch to the original owner. And the other has to sue his seller for money?
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2021, 03:25 AM   #17
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post
With proof (documentation, police report, etc), shouldn't Rolex release the watch to the original owner. And the other has to sue his seller for money?
This should be true, unless orig owner was made 'whole' by insurance, as then it would be the insurer's property.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2021, 05:11 AM   #18
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockae92 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
This should be true, unless orig owner was made 'whole' by insurance, as then it would be the insurer's property.
Or the "theft" was part of a fraudulent insurance claim. Though in that case, not sure whether the watch would go to the insurer, or the insurer would just want its money back.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2021, 05:25 AM   #19
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
Look up your rights as a bona fide purchaser. You may be protected even if in fact the watch was stolen. Dealing with Cartier is another matter entirely.
He may not be prosecuted for having purchased stolen goods - but he has no legal ownership for a stolen watch - if the legal status "stolen" is accurate.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2021, 06:30 PM   #20
jgh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Lol, you think a bunch of 40+ year olds would be ok with this or be able to figure it out?
it just adds extra steps to the mess. Someone would neglect to update the blockchain and a smart guy on a forum somewhere will suggest using mega blockchain
jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2021, 11:05 PM   #21
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Any update on this one? curious...
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote