The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 September 2019, 04:10 AM   #1
bebeqq1231
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, Pam 233,
BOBS watch

Does anyone has experience with selling your watch to BOBS?
bebeqq1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 04:16 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

they sell/sold here under different names.... not bobs

that should give you an idea of the opinion here generally as why hide it?
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 04:18 AM   #3
Syed117
"TRF" Member

There is a bunch of feedback in the "who's who" section.

Consensus seems to be that they will offer an insulting price if you sell to them.

I think someone here recently said they offered him $2500 for a good condition 1680.
Old 7 September 2019, 04:18 AM   #4
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Be prepared to be low-balled.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 04:25 AM   #5
hkwinger
"TRF" Member

I can't speak to selling any watches but I just visited their office in So Cal. My experience was not great. The sales staff was excellent and the office was very nice. They have great inventory and a nice website. I looked at a couple of 20K+ watches and they were still dirty. My thought was that If I purchased one of them online and received them in that condition, I would have been very disappointed. I asked a technical question about a movement that the sales person didn't know and she went back and brought out a person she introduced as a watchmaker. That person did not answer my question to my satisfaction. I later did research in Youtube and saw a video that they posted with the same person who was a customer service representative in the video which raises a red flags to me. Maybe he could have recently become a watchmaker but the way he answered my question, I have some doubts. Im not saying that this experience is typical and I am sure that they have many happy customers judging by the size of their business, but this was my first and only experience with BOB's watches. I ended up purchasing from another dealer who I felt more comfortable with.
hkwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 04:35 AM   #6
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
My experiences with the big online sellers have been with Watchbox and Crown & Caliber. I sold a couple buying mistakes to C&C, they seem to offer decent wholesale prices on items you must sell. As a general rule I do not recommend trading with dealers, but if that is your only option to upgrade a Breitling or Pam, and we are just talking 2-3k, it's not a bad option. Bob's I hear advertises a high sell price, then surprises you with a low ball number. Hope that helps.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 04:36 AM   #7
sgarrity
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I sold an old Date model to them and was happy with the transaction. The watch was well worn, hadn't been serviced in over a decade, and they paid me what I paid for it the I originally bought it used from a friend. I figured that was easier than trying to sell it here being a completely unknown seller. Maybe newer higher dollar watches are a different story, I don't know.....
sgarrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 04:38 AM   #8
darrenho
"TRF" Member

Sold my 2014 Omega SeaMaster Planet Ocean GMT to Bob's Watches about a year ago. A fairly easy and smooth transaction. Appraised the watch online and provided a $ quote to buy my watch. I brought the watch in, and one of the guys there checked out the watch for like less than 5 minutes and said everything looked okay. Then, they wrote me a check with the appraised $ amount on the spot. The whole process took about 10 minutes. No complaints.
darrenho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 04:45 AM   #9
Mlioon
"TRF" Member

I recently sold a YM to jomashop, much better quote than bobs
Mlioon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 04:54 AM   #10
bobbyandy
"TRF" Member

I checked with Bob's first and mistakenly used their offer as a baseline to evaluate other offers...too low I think. I sold to someone else. Good luck.
bobbyandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 05:12 AM   #11
gallahadesquire
"TRF" Member

I bought a 1500 from them. When it arrived, it wasn’t working at all. Service cost me about $1000 at RSC
gallahadesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 05:14 AM   #12
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallahadesquire View Post
I bought a 1500 from them. When it arrived, it wasn’t working at all. Service cost me about $1000 at RSC
You bought a watch from them which didn't work out of the box and didn't make them fix it at their cost??
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 05:33 AM   #13
Catatafish
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub 126610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenho View Post
Sold my 2014 Omega SeaMaster Planet Ocean GMT to Bob's Watches about a year ago. A fairly easy and smooth transaction. Appraised the watch online and provided a $ quote to buy my watch. I brought the watch in, and one of the guys there checked out the watch for like less than 5 minutes and said everything looked okay. Then, they wrote me a check with the appraised $ amount on the spot. The whole process took about 10 minutes. No complaints.
Similar experience here... Two other big names offered me lowballs and Bob's offer was the same number I had bought if for new/GM 6 months prior. I'm a big fan so far.

Best advice to OP is shop around. Contact all the big names and get bids. Then decide what to do.
Catatafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 05:39 AM   #14
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

Just sold to them last week. Got less then what I would have gotten on here. But at the end of the day I didn't have to deal with any tire kickers, sold the watch in a day, they paid for the shipping and I had my money wired and in my account within two days. Oh and out of the grays/resellers I contacted, Bob's had the highest price. $500 higher than one dealer we all know and a $1000 by the other dealer I contacted

Last edited by 10XRolex; 7 September 2019 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: Grammer
10XRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 05:54 AM   #15
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
In defense of Bob's, you shouldn't be surprised by a low offer. Why? they provide you the quickest and easiest liquidity and the cost you pay for that is a low bid. Whereas selling it yourself takes more leg work, and possibly risk if you don't know what you are doing.

no free lunches. however, i did try to sell a watch to them, told them i wasn't interested and I still got emails asking if i wanted to sell etc. that was annoying.
116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 05:56 AM   #16
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtalk View Post
In defense of Bob's, you shouldn't be surprised by a low offer. Why? they provide you the quickest and easiest liquidity and the cost you pay for that is a low bid. Whereas selling it yourself takes more leg work, and possibly risk if you don't know what you are doing.

no free lunches. however, i did try to sell a watch to them, told them i wasn't interested and I still got emails asking if i wanted to sell etc. that was annoying.

That makes sense generally I'll agree, but Bob's advertises a sell price for each watch that is very high, so I can understand why many are surprised when they get a low offer.
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 06:10 AM   #17
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcut1 View Post
be prepared to be low-balled.
+1
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 06:27 AM   #18
Thumpr
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Exactly.

I sold an older Rolex to them after researching and getting several other quotes which were close. The transaction went very smooth and I had my money in about two days.

In the end, I took less money but the I knew the transaction was legit and didn’t have to worry about being scammed by some unknown person.
Thumpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 06:48 AM   #19
smym18
"TRF" Member

Quote:

No one seems to realize this.
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 07:12 AM   #20
breed
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Offered me $6500 on my 2nd owner GMT-Master 1675 (1974). Took it to another outlet and was offered significantly more. Even a local pawn shop offered me more.

Not a fan.
breed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 07:16 AM   #21
amilch
"TRF" Member

A friend of mine was quoted really low on a daytona C. like couple grand over retail.
amilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 07:35 AM   #22
Cesium137
Banned

Have you ever traded in a car vs selling private party? Same concept. They don’t take chances. They buy low anticipating needing to service or polish a watch and still guarantee a profit.
Cesium137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2019, 07:54 AM   #23
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
They tend to price match if you let them know so and so offered you x amount.

But be wary, they sold me a GMT once that had a frankenbracelet. They must've added a link from a submariner by accident because my GMT had all PCL's except for one brushed link! xD
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2019, 03:04 AM   #24
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Mods - can you move this post out of the "Who's Who?"

Thanks,

Ben
Old 25 September 2019, 03:06 AM   #25
Noonan
Banned

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcut1 View Post
Mods - can you move this post out of the "Who's Who?"

Thanks,

Ben
If not "who's who" where do you think it belongs?
Noonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2019, 10:37 AM   #26
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
If not "who's who" where do you think it belongs?
Well, when I do a search for my reputation page it shows up there. I would assume that would happen when someone searches my username...am I wrong? Is it appearing in a different place?

Sorry for the confusion. Ben.
Old 15 September 2021, 02:43 PM   #27
rick lee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman
Can we revive this one? Two questions about Bob's:

1) Is there any wiggle room on their sale prices? I got a lowball offer on my 216570, but, if they come down on the James Cameron I want, I might be able to live with it. I only care about my net out of pocket.

2) Do they often lower their offer once they get your watch into their possession? Perhaps with some lame story like it's not in as good a condition as described on phone, email or photos?
rick lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 05:31 PM   #28
tike71
"TRF" Member

You can see their offer price on most models from this link (scroll all the way to the bottom)
https://www.bobswatches.com/sell-rolex-watch
(does not work on mobile browser, choose desktop site)

From my experience with selling a couple pieces to bobs, you will be dinged at least $100 if the watch isn't in mint condition. They will also ding $100 each for lack of box/papers, which IMO, isn't bad compared to other grey dealers.

And finally, if you trade the watch in you will get a trade in tax credit. So you'll only pay sales tax on the difference.
Old 16 September 2021, 03:10 AM   #29
rick lee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman
Thank you.
rick lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 11:59 PM   #30
blackhawks6
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36, Oris, Tudor
Sell transaction with Bob's

I sold a Milgauss excellent condition full kit to Bob's. The transaction was smooth as well as the communication. However, I made certain to document through email my terms:
1) if the actual price offered and paid for the watch was less than agreed, after inspection, I reserved the right to void the transaction and the watch would be returned to me with me bearing the shipping and insurance cost

2) Bob's price was slightly less than other's but their terms were clearer and in writing (eg we will pay within 24 hours upon receiving the watch via bank wire, no 1099, or will return the watch)

I could have made more money selling privately but had no feedback on TRF or other watch forums. I do have feedback selling higher end audio equipment on sites (decades) but I have learned watches are different, nuanced, and a bit riskier IMO. So I went with the company that had the greatest transparency and a solid reputation. Solid transaction with them.
blackhawks6 is offline   Reply With Quote