The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 19 March 2020, 08:17 PM   #1
Billykhan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR Batman
Girard Perregaux Laureato 38mm vs AP RO 37mm

Good day gents. Controversial topic I'm very sure, but we're all going through a lot worse so I'll hopefully be forgiven.

To cut a long story short, I've decided to look for an alternative to my recently acquired AP RO 37mm which I've decided not to wear at the moment, for reasons I won't go into here (you can check my other posts in the AP section).

Having looked at other Gerald Genta creations, and finding them all not meeting my criteria (All Steel integrated bracelet watch with a Steel/non-Gold Rotor), I found myself strangely drawn to the non-Genta but heavily inspired GP Laureato in 38mm (Tried the 42mm in store but it was way too big for my dainty wrist and the 37mm RO hits the spot perfectly). The integrated bracelet, though not quite the work of art that the RO is fairly decent and in imo the Clous de Paris Blue Dial is actually as magnificent as the RO...yes, heresy I know

Anyone here made the switch, or have a GP Laureato as a more daily beater alternative to the RO, purely based on price point. There's only one local AD here for GP, and they only have 42mm variants so I'm most likely looking at a blind buy

Any thoughts or opinions?
Billykhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2020, 09:32 PM   #2
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

An alternative might be the limited edition 41mm Laureato. It's finer in all respects to the 42mm, and the 38mm has the bigger logo and markers from the 42mm.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 12:48 AM   #3
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

I like the Laureato, actually. I have considered adding a non blue dial to my own collection, but probably after getting a few other pieces. The only drawback is probably having other people wonder why you chose that over the Genta designed pieces, but if you don't care about that (you shouldn't, who cares how you spend your cash and taste is subjective, anyway), nab one. And post pictures while you're at it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 01:07 AM   #4
bigjack78
"TRF" Member

I tried on both sizes. I'm a fan though I think the larger one is more aesthetically pleasing

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=702497
bigjack78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 07:07 AM   #5
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjack78 View Post
I tried on both sizes. I'm a fan though I think the larger one is more aesthetically pleasing

Interesting that you still consider that when the majority consensus in your thread was that the smaller watch looked better on your wrist. Just goes to show how confirmation bias works
Old 20 March 2020, 09:14 AM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

I like the Laureato better than the recent steel sports watch releases from ALS and Chopard but I also find it a little too pleasing and not quirky enough compared to a Royal Oak or a Nautilus.

IMO it is also squarely stuck in the middle and based on your Rolexes I am wondering if you would wear it much. It would get no wrist time over the few pieces I own (both lower- and higher-end) but then I am very black and white.

Have you considered the original Royal Oak 5402 (or the Vacheron 222)?

The rotor there is made of steel w a narrow gold rim to improve the winding efficiency (the gold is there for a purpose w/o decoration unlike on the 15202).
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 07:35 PM   #7
Billykhan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR Batman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I like the Laureato better than the recent steel sports watch releases from ALS and Chopard but I also find it a little too pleasing and not quirky enough compared to a Royal Oak or a Nautilus.

IMO it is also squarely stuck in the middle and based on your Rolexes I am wondering if you would wear it much. It would get no wrist time over the few pieces I own (both lower- and higher-end) but then I am very black and white.

Have you considered the original Royal Oak 5402 (or the Vacheron 222)?

The rotor there is made of steel w a narrow gold rim to improve the winding efficiency (the gold is there for a purpose w/o decoration unlike on the 15202).
Totally agree that it’s quite likely the GP would probably be the least iconic of all the watches I own, and likely to get limited wrist time. However, I currently find myself no longer in the position that I must own a Royal Oak per se and more that I’d like to have an integrated bracelet watch with some sort of pedigree. That and the fact that I don’t actually have $50k lying around just right now to pick up the Jumbo

The RO quartz did seem like an ideal compromise, but I’ll be damned if I can get hold of an acceptable sized 36mm version in good enough nick...damn now I’m having second thoughts...I was already in a quandry over whether to pull the trigger on the Grey or Blue, especially based on bigjack78’s pics where the Grey actually looks a lot more elegant than the Blue
Billykhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 11:28 PM   #8
bigjack78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
Interesting that you still consider that when the majority consensus in your thread was that the smaller watch looked better on your wrist. Just goes to show how confirmation bias works
I think confirmation bias would be if you all agreed with me. Everyone disagreeing and me still liking it is just stubbornness.
bigjack78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 05:58 PM   #9
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The Laureato is a fine watch with good pedigree and a good movement. It has a different feel than the AP. More Italian Riviera, at least in my mind.

Good luck with your choice.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 06:00 PM   #10
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjack78 View Post
I think confirmation bias would be if you all agreed with me. Everyone disagreeing and me still liking it is just stubbornness.

Old 22 March 2020, 12:30 AM   #11
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Ive owned the 42 MM version blue dial, and loved it. I loved it so much that I started researching GP like Crazy. They are a fantastic watch. I got rid of the 42MM and bought the 36MM version, the 8010, that was produced in the mid 90’s. I bought a NOS w/o box or papers, but still had the stickers on it. Had it serviced and absolutely love it. It’s 8mm thick and just looks killer on my 7 inch wrist. So maybe look for an 8010 laureato to put on your wrist too?!
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 12:35 AM   #12
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots

Here’s a pic of my 36MM 8010 Laureato

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 06:34 PM   #13
cyind
"TRF" Member

I saw the 38mm and fits great on my 7 inch wrist
cyind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 11:04 PM   #14
dannyp
Banned

Love the Laureato 38! Might just be my current favorite non-Rolex.

To the OP: Did you consider the Omega Constellation? Hadn’t realized until recently it was a Genta design, but hard to imagine a more ideal daily wearer given the specified criteria.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote