The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 19 February 2021, 04:44 AM   #1
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Thinking about another Superocean 42

I have never purchased two variations of the same watch, but this Superocean 42 has me thinking of doing so. It keeps near perfect time, is super comfortable and light with the rubber strap and glidelock clasp, has 500 meter WR, and is reasonably priced. A great summer or casual style watch.

Now I'm thinking about picking up the orange dial w/black bezel and black rubber bracelet.

I have many other watches, including 4 Rolex, but I am still waiting for a Submariner from my AD. Even when the Sub comes in, although I will still buy it, not sure about bringing a 9K watch to the beach. At 1/3 the price, this seems like a better option. Thoughts? Am I crazy?
Breitling SO.jpeg
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 07:12 AM   #2
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

You're not crazy, the colors make it different enough to be worth it and who knows when the sub will arrive. This also looks better/more interesting IMO
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 07:27 AM   #3
Heu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
You're not crazy, the colors make it different enough to be worth it
Heu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2021, 10:59 AM   #4
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
If it makes you happy (and it clearly does) I say go for it! This is why I love the variety Breitling offers. I've considered getting another Chrono SuperOcean before and who knows, maybe one day I'll get a different variant of this piece as well.

Looking forward to your future incoming thread.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 01:37 PM   #5
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post
I have never purchased two variations of the same watch, but this Superocean 42 has me thinking of doing so. It keeps near perfect time, is super comfortable and light with the rubber strap and glidelock clasp, has 500 meter WR, and is reasonably priced. A great summer or casual style watch.

Now I'm thinking about picking up the orange dial w/black bezel and black rubber bracelet.

I have many other watches, including 4 Rolex, but I am still waiting for a Submariner from my AD. Even when the Sub comes in, although I will still buy it, not sure about bringing a 9K watch to the beach. At 1/3 the price, this seems like a better option. Thoughts? Am I crazy?
Attachment 1203044
Nope, not crazy at all. Not even close. I like my superocean's a lot. They are my favorite watches by far. I wear the black dial 24/7, the others when I feel like it. I find them much more comfortable than any other watch I have had . So much so that I sold my Rolex's. Mine is also VERY accurate. About +7 a month on the wrist. Faster on the winder. I am missing the orange dial in my collection. Hope to have it by end of this summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210117_080338.jpg (168.3 KB, 790 views)
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2021, 09:40 PM   #6
GST15
"TRF" Member

Thanks Wayne! I'll post when I pull the plug
Old 17 March 2021, 01:36 PM   #7
Camdamonium
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot DepecheMode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
You're not crazy, the colors make it different enough to be worth it and who knows when the sub will arrive. This also looks better/more interesting IMO
Concise and well said. I think this is a good enough reason. Plus I would rather trash a 3k watch in saltwater than a 9k watch... but personal opinion. Of course, you can always wipe it off with fresh water after, but if you mentioning the beach for use even comes to mind at all, I would assume you go enough that you might forget once...

Also fun fact (if I remember it right). Because of the amount of copper in Rolex white gold, if you take a 30k oysterflex white gold Daytona into the salt water and don't wash it off, the white gold will change color to like green because of the salt/copper contact...
Camdamonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2021, 06:46 AM   #8
LimitedHour
"TRF" Member

I don't think it is crazy. You could do a one-off variation. I have 44mm Superocean II Chronograph with the orange subdials and black dial. Check out my pic i believe it should be attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip IMG_1140-5.zip (375.7 KB, 37 views)
LimitedHour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 12:41 PM   #9
WatchLuxe
"TRF" Member

Love It!!
WatchLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 08:22 PM   #10
Superbri22
"TRF" Member

Absolutely not crazy, I have the orange and wouldn’t think twice about getting the black dial version also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Superbri22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 08:35 PM   #11
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbri22 View Post

Absolutely not crazy, I have the orange and wouldn’t think twice about getting the black dial version also

this one looks very cool, though i think it fits certain lifestyles. you pull it off very well!
philhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 08:39 PM   #12
Superbri22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhendrix View Post
this one looks very cool, though i think it fits certain lifestyles. you pull it off very well!

Thank you! I work in a field where safety colors (orange and yellow) are worn 100% of the time so the bright orange and even yellow is part of my daily attire. Lol so yea it fits perfect.

Superbri22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 09:46 PM   #13
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbri22 View Post
Thank you! I work in a field where safety colors (orange and yellow) are worn 100% of the time so the bright orange and even yellow is part of my daily attire. Lol so yea it fits perfect.

awesome, must get a lot of compliments!
Old 13 July 2021, 10:22 PM   #14
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Here's mine. I love how the dial color changes in the sun, almost looks blue-purpleish on a nice summer evening like today. I've also changed the bracelet on this (its still an authentic breitling bracelet), didn't like both options this originally came with.
https://ibb.co/cvQzjvn
https://ibb.co/bBsbvGc

can't post images so posted links
Old 26 July 2021, 04:48 AM   #15
GreatCircle
"TRF" Member

Ever considered adding a vintage superocean? These can be had super cheap, but do keep in mind that most of these oldies probably would need a full service . Most I have seen for sale were without any service history.

GreatCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 11:18 AM   #16
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCircle View Post
Ever considered adding a vintage superocean? These can be had super cheap, but do keep in mind that most of these oldies probably would need a full service . Most I have seen for sale were without any service history.

this one looks awesome. is it also a 42? It looks a bit heavy-headed, but they all tend to be anyways
Old 26 July 2021, 02:24 PM   #17
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Nope, not crazy. I'm about to pull the trigger on my second one as well.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2021, 05:28 PM   #18
GreatCircle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhendrix View Post
this one looks awesome. is it also a 42? It looks a bit heavy-headed, but they all tend to be anyways

Hi it’s 41. You have a couple of of references from period late ninteties until about 2010 when they started with the complete overhauled look with rubber bezels.

The differences in period late nineties-2010 are very small like printed vs embossed logo, arrow second hand tip vs
Square, slight tint variations in the bright coloured dials (orange and yellow), different hands.
The latest ref number before the rubber bezels had a complete different dial but the arabic numbers were white and the hands are greenish, do not like that at all !!

A17040

A17345

A17360

All of these can be had for about 2K depending on condition, box papers etc. Real fun watches and so much Breitling value for money IF you like the look. And obviously orange (Coral) is rare, just like yellow. Black and Blue are available in bigger numbers.

All the info you need :
http://www.donindiano.net/watches/breitling/superocean/
Old 27 July 2021, 12:52 AM   #19
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
And in 2000 they all became COSC. They are great watches. I prefer the Pro series with the HEV valves. They are somewhat hard to find and to me better than the current models.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 07:01 AM   #20
karwath
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 white
I snorkel and get in the and around the water and do not like to ever be without a watch. In looking for a dive watch for that use, I had the same thought about wanting a high quality watch but if the strap were to fail or a lug pin to give way, I did not want to see a hugely expensive, very hard to replace watch sink to the bottom.

As a result, I looked at the Omega SMP, the Tudor Pelagos, and the Breitling SO 42, and the Breitling SO 42 was the sweet spot of accurate, good looking, fit well/comfortable, had a comfortable bracelet and rubber strap, and had a much lower profile than either the Omega or the Tudor (plus no unnecessary Helium Escape Valve). It was also the least expensive of all of the watches and could be bought from an AD at a nice discount and easily replaced if something ever happened to it.

I don't know if I would ever want/need an additional SO 42, but I have in the past had more than one watch in the same model but with different colored dials. Years ago I had four identical GMT DOXA Pros -- orange, blue, yellow and black dials, so I would never discourage anyone from buying second one if you really like it and would wear it.
karwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2021, 10:08 AM   #21
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

Definitely not crazy. Those are great looking watches. I especially like the orange dial version.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2021, 08:24 AM   #22
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
I am actually contemplating adding one of my own. I am looking at the SO 42 in blue with white dial and blue rubber strap, exactly like yours.

The impetus for this is I was out sailing on Monday on our lake and I had taken off my Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36 and had it in my travel case back in the boat cabin. I was swimming with my kids and wasn't able to keep track of the time we were in the water without asking my wife, who was back on the boat. The Super Ocean would have been absolutely perfect. It's something I could keep on and wear all day long.

I am on the list with my AD for a new Submariner but honestly, this piece would be so perfect for wearing out on the water sailing, swimming, and I wouldn't feel badly about actually using it for its intended purpose versus a sub at literally 3x the price after tax. Not to mention there's ZERO way of knowing when I can even get the sub. Hopefully before my birthday next year, but this I can actually get and use right now before summer ends. I can also wear it skiing in the winter. It could be a great every day wear and with the rubber there's less of a concern about scratching and dinging up a bracelet.

I just have to try it on somewhere in person to see how I like the fit. My wrist size is 7" exactly, but I have read that the SO 42 and the sub both wear very similarly. Both are great looking watches in different respects.
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 12:13 AM   #23
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
I've somewhat come full circle with my watches. I started out with a Breitling SUPEROCEAN and after 10 years I am probably more into them than my Rolex collection. I just find it to be the perfect watch for me. My goal is to have one regular SO w a metal bracelet, one ABYSS model, keep my new Heritage 57 and grab one more interesting color or whatever catches my eye. I feel much better travelling, swimming, etc with a 3K watch on my wrist than a 10K watch.
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2021, 08:04 AM   #24
GST15
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainron62 View Post
I've somewhat come full circle with my watches. I started out with a Breitling SUPEROCEAN and after 10 years I am probably more into them than my Rolex collection. I just find it to be the perfect watch for me. My goal is to have one regular SO w a metal bracelet, one ABYSS model, keep my new Heritage 57 and grab one more interesting color or whatever catches my eye. I feel much better travelling, swimming, etc with a 3K watch on my wrist than a 10K watch.
I agree...I use my SO 43 on rubber, and my Avenger 43 on bracelet as my travel watches.
Old 29 October 2021, 10:55 AM   #25
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST15 View Post
I agree...I use my SO 43 on rubber, and my Avenger 43 on bracelet as my travel watches.
There is a lot of fun factor and sexiness in the Breitling line. Kinda makes the watch hobby fun again. Rolex can get so serious and so pricey and then all the traditionalists tell you what watches are acceptable and such. It can be a bit much at times.
Old 30 October 2021, 12:05 AM   #26
GreatCircle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainron62 View Post
100% agree with you !!

Compared to the hysterical prices of some of the other brands these colourful vintage Breitling superoceans represent an absolute inimaginable value for money. They are super cheap, run very precise , are bombproof and give me so much joy wearing !

Old 30 October 2021, 11:04 PM   #27
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCircle View Post
100% agree with you !!

Compared to the hysterical prices of some of the other brands these colourful vintage Breitling superoceans represent an absolute inimaginable value for money. They are super cheap, run very precise , are bombproof and give me so much joy wearing !

Love that and that is exactly what I mean! You can do so much with them, it isn't sacrilegious to change the band and have some fun with the watch. I also second that after owning Rolex, Breitling, TAG, Omega, I think Breitling is as well built and solid as anything else. To me it is like a Toyota, may not be the fanciest, but solid, solid, workmanship and movements that you cannot hurt.
Old 22 June 2022, 09:43 PM   #28
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The orange dial looks like a fun one … I say GO FOR IT
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2022, 11:16 PM   #29
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
The orange is fantastic! Both the new and neo-vintage are superb, but I feel as if they was a golden era for Breitling.

Agree with Michelle there regarding the older model with the helium escape valves.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2022, 02:40 AM   #30
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I like Breitling but I think I would switch to another model before duplicating something. I realize that takes orange out but I would go with something like this

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote