The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 28 August 2021, 06:25 AM   #1
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Succumbing to hype? Patek vs. F.P. Journe

All, looking for a bit of outside perspective on where I am currently planning on taking my collection. I've satisfied my Rolex itch for the moment and have been gravitating to F.P. Journe or Patek.

If I were (able to) buy today, I'd look at the F.P. Journe Octa Automatique Réserve Havana or the new dial Quantieme Perpetuel. Big if on ability.

If I went Patek, I'd be looking at the 5396R sector dial, 5205G, 5320G or 5236P.

I'm favoring FPJ, and believe so because I like the design of them better, but I don't know if I'm succumbing subconsciously to the hype about the hot hyped brand whose appeal with pass in the coming years.
Watchdoyouwant? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 06:35 AM   #2
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I would go with FPJ QUANTIÈME PERPÉTUEL with bracelet, it's such an incredible timepiece.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 06:37 AM   #3
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdoyouwant? View Post
All, looking for a bit of outside perspective on where I am currently planning on taking my collection. I've satisfied my Rolex itch for the moment and have been gravitating to F.P. Journe or Patek.

If I were (able to) buy today, I'd look at the F.P. Journe Octa Automatique Réserve Havana or the new dial Quantieme Perpetuel. Big if on ability.

If I went Patek, I'd be looking at the 5396R sector dial, 5205G, 5320G or 5236P.

I'm favoring FPJ, and believe so because I like the design of them better, but I don't know if I'm succumbing subconsciously to the hype about the hot hyped brand whose appeal with pass in the coming years.

I was fortunate enough to have received my 5320G and FPJ Resonance almost at the same time back in June. The two watches are very different and I love them both. Patek is traditional with better finish and a Patek PC is just Patek DNA. The Journe is just different and every time I looked at it, I found something new which amazes me.

Interestingly that I was considering the FPJ QP but decided to get a Patek PC as PC is their signature movement. And I get the RQ, because it represents Journe.

Comparing the two is like apple and oranges. But both are probably close to the best at what they are representing. BTW, have you considered a Chronometre Souverain? I find the manual movement is more appealing than the Octa as the rotor gets in the way for appreciating the architecture of the movement.
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 06:45 AM   #4
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
BTW, have you considered a Chronometre Souverain? I find the manual movement is more appealing than the Octa as the rotor gets in the way for appreciating the architecture of the movement.
The Chronometre Souverain is beautiful--for sure--but I'd favor a bit more complication I think. Also, call me silly, but I really like the convenience of an automatic.

FPJ and Patek really are apples and oranges. I just don't want to unwittingly buy a ticket on the hype train.
Old 28 August 2021, 07:11 AM   #5
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Chronometre Souverain is beautiful--for sure--but I'd favor a bit more complication I think. Also, call me silly, but I really like the convenience of an automatic.

FPJ and Patek really are apples and oranges. I just don't want to unwittingly buy a ticket on the hype train.
I think the brands might be apples to oranges, but something like CS to Calatrava line is like nice apples vs even nicer premium apples. With the nod in this case going to FPJ going to more premium.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 07:11 AM   #6
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don’t think FPJ is hype. But of course I am biased
Old 28 August 2021, 07:16 AM   #7
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t think FPJ is hype. But of course I am biased
Well, neither do I, but I want to make sure!
Old 28 August 2021, 07:23 AM   #8
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, neither do I, but I want to make sure!

Old 28 August 2021, 07:25 AM   #9
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
The thing with Patek Philippe is that they are time tested since 1839. And as one famous watch auctioneer said: they never cut corners since 1932.
so they don't have a lot of mistakes.
of the ones you mentioned they are on two different universes: the AC is almost half the price of a PC. the inline PC is even more than double the AC.
i bought an AC first then a PC. if time goes back i would've skipped the AC experience and saved for the PC. The inline PC is a little stretch for me because once i reach that level of price....i am not too far from the PCC.

I love F P Journe and loved it before a certain grey dealer started advertising about it like for years now....unfortunately i didn't get one when the prices where reasonable. and i am always discouraged of getting an independent out of fear that the watch brand will end up like Frank Muller or Roger Dubuis
Old 28 August 2021, 07:26 AM   #10
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Go with Patek, 5320G or 5236P.
History History History.

FP Journe is just a hype.
Old 28 August 2021, 07:27 AM   #11
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
I would go with FPJ QUANTIÈME PERPÉTUEL with bracelet, it's such an incredible timepiece.
I didn't even know they came on bracelet for current pieces!!
thanks for the info
Old 28 August 2021, 07:41 AM   #12
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
The thing with Patek Philippe is that they are time tested since 1839. And as one famous watch auctioneer said: they never cut corners since 1932.
so they don't have a lot of mistakes.
of the ones you mentioned they are on two different universes: the AC is almost half the price of a PC. the inline PC is even more than double the AC.
i bought an AC first then a PC. if time goes back i would've skipped the AC experience and saved for the PC. The inline PC is a little stretch for me because once i reach that level of price....i am not too far from the PCC.

I love F P Journe and loved it before a certain grey dealer started advertising about it like for years now....unfortunately i didn't get one when the prices where reasonable. and i am always discouraged of getting an independent out of fear that the watch brand will end up like Frank Muller or Roger Dubuis
You've exactly identified my dilemma. And you're right that the prices of the PP watches I'm considering run quite the gamut. I'd be leaning towards a PC vs AC, but since I don't like the idea of a manual wind PC, the PCC is not really something on my radar.

I significantly prefer the dials of the FPJ watches over the PP options, but the finish, history and longevity of PP is compelling. The struggle is whether to buy a watch that I perhaps like slightly less aesthetically but has a better history/finish over a watch that is the reverse. I also am, as you mentioned, a bit put off by the pushing of FPJ in the secondary market. I buy assuming I will hold onto my watches for life, so "value" is sort of irrelevant, but I also don't want to buy into the next Frank Muller.
Old 28 August 2021, 07:44 AM   #13
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Go with Patek, 5320G or 5236P.
History History History.

FP Journe is just a hype.
Help me understand why you think that.
Old 28 August 2021, 07:46 AM   #14
Xerxes77
Banned

Patek remain Patek
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 08:06 AM   #15
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You've exactly identified my dilemma. And you're right that the prices of the PP watches I'm considering run quite the gamut. I'd be leaning towards a PC vs AC, but since I don't like the idea of a manual wind PC, the PCC is not really something on my radar.

I significantly prefer the dials of the FPJ watches over the PP options, but the finish, history and longevity of PP is compelling. The struggle is whether to buy a watch that I perhaps like slightly less aesthetically but has a better history/finish over a watch that is the reverse. I also am, as you mentioned, a bit put off by the pushing of FPJ in the secondary market. I buy assuming I will hold onto my watches for life, so "value" is sort of irrelevant, but I also don't want to buy into the next Frank Muller.
As you mention, you do not plan to sell the watches so you should buy what you like since whatever $$ you sink into the purchase, it is essentially zero. Interestingly this was the exact feedback of my 13 YO daughter a few days ago while I was driving her to school and boosting about my watches' "value". All she asked was: Are you selling any of them? I think she was really tired of me talking about watches.

So even if FPJ becomes the next Frank Muller, you will still have a watch which you love years from now, correct? The appeal and reason why you buy it should not change just because no one is loving it anymore.

With that said, I am risking at repeating myself. PP and FPJ are really apples vs oranges, you should find a chance to see it in person before making the decision. One is traditional, better finish albeit "boring" but not in a bad sense. FPJ is not as well finished but have amazing details especially in the movement architecture and dial look (if it is what you like).

In a perfect world, everyone of us here should have the entire PP and/or FPJ catalogue in our collection.
Old 28 August 2021, 08:11 AM   #16
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Succumbing to hype? Patek vs. F.P. Journe

Any Journe these days is tough to secure. You should contact a boutique about timeframe for delivery of a QP but I’d guess two years if you’re lucky. If you look at availability and the chance to get a nice discount off of retail, I’d choose the 5320g. I own both, and prefer the Patek (but just barely).

vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 08:26 AM   #17
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyologist View Post
Any Journe these days is tough to secure. You should contact a boutique about timeframe for delivery of a QP but I’d guess two years if you’re lucky. If you look at availability and the chance to get a nice discount off of retail, I’d choose the 5320g. I own both, and prefer the Patek (but just barely).

For a Perpetual calendar, I would definitely prefer the 5320G (again, I am extremely biased here)

However, the QP from FPJ is technically more interesting. (unbreakable from user error)

For FPJ, I would stick with CO or RQ or CS or TV. But that's my personal bias.
Old 28 August 2021, 08:36 AM   #18
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Those are truly beautiful. I love that boutique only blue dial.

The solution to the problem is get both!
Old 28 August 2021, 08:40 AM   #19
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Those are truly beautiful. I love that boutique only blue dial.

The solution to the problem is get both!
Problem solved and you are welcome.
Old 28 August 2021, 08:49 AM   #20
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Definitely a good idea to buy the 5320 now and place a deposit towards a QP!
Old 28 August 2021, 08:51 AM   #21
ChaseATX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5270g
Quote:

I believe you this is great advice. You’re waiting on the FPJ no matter the model unless you go aftermarket. Buy brand direct.

Also, FPJ is not hype. It’s really great. I’m hoarding them.
ChaseATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 09:05 AM   #22
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseATX View Post
I believe you this is great advice. You’re waiting on the FPJ no matter the model unless you go aftermarket. Buy brand direct.

Also, FPJ is not hype. It’s really great. I’m hoarding them.

This is great advice. You will probably not see the FPJ QP until 2023 at the earliest. In the meanwhile, I think there should be some 5320 out there to be found.
Old 28 August 2021, 09:15 AM   #23
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

However, the QP from FPJ is technically more interesting. (unbreakable from user error)

Agree with this and that’s why having both is so great. The Journe is definitely technically more interesting/superior with the genius setting mechanism, instantaneous date change and 8-day power reserve. Whereas I prefer the aesthetics of the Patek with the moon phase, “modern vintage” looks, stepped lugs and superior case finishing.
Old 28 August 2021, 09:27 AM   #24
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What's typical for a FPJ deposit?
Old 28 August 2021, 09:32 AM   #25
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What's typical for a FPJ deposit?

I was told by the boutique that they won’t need a deposit until one month before delivery for my Elegante order. So it should work well for your case.
Old 28 August 2021, 09:36 AM   #26
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is great advice.

In regards to the overall brand comparison: IMO both maisons are artwork, each with their own ethos. More appropriate that comparing the brands is deciding which is the right one for you.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 09:52 AM   #27
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I like the rose gold guilloché dial of the FPJ QP but bizarrely my AD has not seen the delivery of most FPJ for a long time. I will get it if it is available. I find the rose gold of the FPJ very desirable, and am a big fan of guilloché work.

QP_Blanc_OR_face.png
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 10:01 AM   #28
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I like the rose gold guilloché dial of the FPJ QP but bizarrely my AD has not seen the delivery of most FPJ for a long time. I will get it if it is available. I find the rose gold of the FPJ very desirable, and am a big fan of guilloché work.

Attachment 1240984

From my understanding, most if not all the FPJ pieces are sold for 2022 before arrival. Boutique and ADs will be getting allocation later this year and then the wait game can start if there is allocation for the model you are interested.

So if you are indeed interested in this QP, you may want to let your AD knows so they can put you down for an allocation.

This is what the US boutique and my European AD told me and the process seems to be the same for both. Of course, the boutique probably gets more allocation but I bet they also have more people in line.
Old 28 August 2021, 10:14 AM   #29
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
From my understanding, most if not all the FPJ pieces are sold for 2022 before arrival. Boutique and ADs will be getting allocation later this year and then the wait game can start if there is allocation for the model you are interested.

So if you are indeed interested in this QP, you may want to let your AD knows so they can put you down for an allocation.

This is what the US boutique and my European AD told me and the process seems to be the same for both. Of course, the boutique probably gets more allocation but I bet they also have more people in line.
Thanks for that info. I will bring a bottle to my AD later
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2021, 10:15 AM   #30
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Thanks for that info. I will bring a bottle to my AD now

Love to see you join the bandwagon