The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 September 2021, 09:37 PM   #1
jesulaiman
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 3800, AP 14800
5066A authentic?

Hi guys. I want to purchase a 5066A from a grey dealer in my area. Would you guys help me & let me know if the watch looks legit?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jesulaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 09:38 PM   #2
jesulaiman
"TRF" Member

P.S. the watch don’t come with paper or box. That’s why I’m asking

Old 10 September 2021, 12:14 AM   #3
fredfiga
"TRF" Member

seems pretty legit.
fredfiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2021, 12:16 PM   #4
jesulaiman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfiga View Post
seems pretty legit.

Thanks [mention]fredfiga [/mention]
I wonder what the black spots on the hour markers are (marked by red circles). Are they turning tropical because of age? Or is it something else? They only appear on the upper left part though.

Old 10 September 2021, 07:06 PM   #5
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
im wearing the same watch right now bought new
the one in the pictures it been polished
my watch does not have the black dots anywhere
i would pass without papers too risky
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2021, 08:27 PM   #6
Xerxes77
Banned

Looks good…
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2021, 10:39 PM   #7
Partekular
"TRF" Member

People who buy PPs are informed of the importance of keeping the papers and told that they cannot be replaced. For the buyer of a modern model no to have them is… probably unusual. I would never buy without papers and for a watch like that would also have expected the original purchaser would have kept it.

How did the dealer satisfy himself that the watch wasn’t lost/found or stolen? Has the dealer got a copy receipt with the name of the original owner, name and address on it identifying who they bought it from? That might help as you can contact them.

Personally speaking: I wouldn’t buy it. You may have trouble selling it on ……
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2021, 11:01 PM   #8
jesulaiman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
People who buy PPs are informed of the importance of keeping the papers and told that they cannot be replaced. For the buyer of a modern model no to have them is… probably unusual. I would never buy without papers and for a watch like that would also have expected the original purchaser would have kept it.

How did the dealer satisfy himself that the watch wasn’t lost/found or stolen? Has the dealer got a copy receipt with the name of the original owner, name and address on it identifying who they bought it from? That might help as you can contact them.

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

I think the watch is produced around 2000s (maybe between 2002 to 2007, also looking at the caliber 330/295).

Yes, I also prefer to buy a watch with papers, especially high end watches like PP.

I haven’t asked the dealer about where he purchased it or whether he has the contact of the previous owner, but the dealer said that he has a service paper. He showed it to me and the watch has been recently sent to a PP service center in my area, dated June 2021 (very recent). The service paper has the movement serial number that matched with the watch, so it is indeed that watch that got serviced.

However, the service is not a complete service (movement checking, accurate timekeeing etc), but rather a part job which is only polishing. Therefore, there’s no 2 years warranty that comes with the service (like one expect from a complete service). The question is: Does having a “part job” service in a PP service center justify that the watch is authentic? Do they check the authenticity of the watch prior to servicing/polishing the watch? I can imagine this is the case for a complete service since they have to open up the watch completely and check the parts one by one (and replace it if needed).

Old 10 September 2021, 11:06 PM   #9
jesulaiman
"TRF" Member

I guess the dealer send them to PP service center after receiving it to check whether it is stolen/lost or found? And with the watch came back polished by PP without being alerted meaning it’s a green light?

Also, I have a question, if I requested for an Extract from Archives and give the photos of the watch with the serial no and stuff, and the watch was reported to be stolen/lost & found, what would happen?

Old 10 September 2021, 11:35 PM   #10
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:

How did the dealer satisfy himself that the watch wasn’t lost/found or stolen? Has the dealer got a copy receipt with the name of the original owner, name and address on it identifying who they bought it from?
A lot of people are not watch enthusiasts and worried about resale value, as a result there are a lot of watches that don't have boxes and especially papers.

An a dealer is not going to hand over the name of people they buy watches from. What if you used the name to target houses to rob, or contact them to try and buy watches directly from them.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 12:25 PM   #11
aproo
"TRF" Member

With the service paper, it is good. PP service center does the quick check. They won't touch the watch much less polish if it was otherwise. Anyways, the watch looks fine.
aproo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 07:47 PM   #12
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

It’s a hard pass for me without papers, unless it’s a very cheap price.

A lot of people are not watch enthusiasts or worried about resale value, as a result there are a lot of watches that don't have boxes and especially papers, but NOT modern Patek’s.

Patek’s are mass produced but in much smaller numbers, very expensive, the owner is aware it’s not “just an expensive watch”, all of them are the pride & joy of most owners. They don’t discard the b&p and wouldn’t forget them in a house move.

Some do get lost of course but it’s not many, vintage is a different story. As others have said it may be hard for YOU to move unless you have excellent selling feedback.

A few final thoughts, I have NEVER been given “service papers” by Patek. Polishing is an optional extra and charged for separately from the service. There are a lot of very good fakes especially of the Patek sports models.

Good luck with what you decide.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2021, 08:22 PM   #13
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Today you can't buy a Nautilus or an Aquanaut from an AD unless you can prove your pedigree but 10 years ago you negotiated a discount, gave them your credit card, they sized the bracelet or strap and shoved you out the door. It was explained that you would need the COO if there was a warranty issue but beyond that the importance of the paperwork wasn't emphasized. No one warned you that, in 2021, the difference between the value of an Aquanaut with the COO and one without the COO would be almost as much as what you had just paid for your watch, after the discount from MSRP. That's why lots of PPs have been separated from their COOs.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 12:05 AM   #14
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:

As someone who owns a 5066a, bought new, nobody gave two rats' heinies about papers in the '90s.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2021, 03:30 AM   #15
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesulaiman View Post
Thanks [mention]fredfiga [/mention]
I wonder what the black spots on the hour markers are (marked by red circles). Are they turning tropical because of age? Or is it something else? They only appear on the upper left part though.

Anybody has an idea what the spots are? Have seen similar dial anomalies at other Aquanauts as well.

edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2021, 08:23 PM   #16
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
it debris what it is who knows has nothing to do with patina or natural aging
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote