The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 October 2023, 09:42 AM   #1
juth
"TRF" Member

Newbie need some suggestion on 5212A watch

I never purchased PP before, but I like the 5212A - COMPLICATIONS. I saw the grey market price is almost the same as the retail price, Does that mean I can walk in and buy one from the AD store? if not how should I process it??

Currently, I am wearing the TT Rolex sub blue color, I bought it at the AD 2020 before the pandemic. they offered me the black sub with date the week after lockdown, but I refused because of the pandemic (yea, I regret it now). after that never got any call from that SA. My plan was to get a couple of Rolex then get a PP from that AD. Right now the AD no longer carries PP. they only have Rolex now. should I start all over with another AD? I am in the Bay Area. age 40. Don't really like the TT or gold watch which is too flashy for me. any suggestion will help. Thank you!
juth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 03:30 PM   #2
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juth View Post
I never purchased PP before, but I like the 5212A - COMPLICATIONS. I saw the grey market price is almost the same as the retail price, Does that mean I can walk in and buy one from the AD store? if not how should I process it??

Currently, I am wearing the TT Rolex sub blue color, I bought it at the AD 2020 before the pandemic. they offered me the black sub with date the week after lockdown, but I refused because of the pandemic (yea, I regret it now). after that never got any call from that SA. My plan was to get a couple of Rolex then get a PP from that AD. Right now the AD no longer carries PP. they only have Rolex now. should I start all over with another AD? I am in the Bay Area. age 40. Don't really like the TT or gold watch which is too flashy for me. any suggestion will help. Thank you!

Nah just go grey. Guess Shreve was your Ad. 5212 will still be tough from Ad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2023, 04:41 PM   #3
juth
"TRF" Member

yea, it is. I don't want to go grey. Don't want to give up right now. I just want 1 PP(for now) should I try Kerns? they have Rolex and PP. Thank you!
Old 6 October 2023, 10:11 PM   #4
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
If you’re only 40 I would start with a new AD.

5212 is awesome. I bought one when they first came out. Probably the best thing is it can take almost any strap you want to put on it.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 01:16 AM   #5
Turbo Racer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I really like the 5212. It’s an interesting watch. Glad to hear about the versatility with straps. If you have the time, ad would be a good way to go. You never know when you’ll want another from them. Good luck!
Turbo Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 07:42 AM   #6
HJZS2K
"TRF" Member

Agreed. Good piece to ask but as far as I know it isn't available to just walk ins. Wearing mine right now on a delug strap. I love this thing.

Sent from my SM-F731U1 using Tapatalk
HJZS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 07:46 AM   #7
ExplorerI
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I
I’ve asked a couple ads. They basically said forget about it
ExplorerI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 10:19 AM   #8
juth
"TRF" Member

Thank you, I like the 5212 because it is not flashy. Hard to notice it is a PP. I will start with a new AD. I know I can’t just walk in and buy the watch. I want to know if I buy a white gold sub or gmt Rolex with the AD do I have a chance? Like the 5212 is 40k. If I spend 40k on other watch with the AD do I have a chance? Thank you.
Old 7 October 2023, 04:09 PM   #9
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlomax View Post
Herzlich willkommen in der Welt der Uhren! Es ist großartig, dass Sie sich für die Patek Philippe 5212A Uhr interessieren. Als Neuling in diesem Bereich kann es manchmal überwältigend sein, die richtige Wahl zu treffen. Hier sind einige Vorschläge, die Ihnen bei Ihrer Entscheidung helfen können:

Informieren Sie sich über die Uhr: Beginnen Sie damit, so viel wie möglich über die Patek Philippe 5212A zu erfahren. Erforschen Sie ihre Funktionen, das Uhrwerk, das Design und die Geschichte dieser Uhr. Je mehr Sie wissen, desto besser können Sie entscheiden, ob sie Ihren Bedürfnissen und Ihrem Geschmack entspricht.

Google translate hat nicht funktioniert? Bisschen wenig Deutsche hier oder ;)

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 06:57 PM   #10
juth
"TRF" Member

I like the 5212 is because it is not flashy. It is a PP. I always want a vintage look watch. I think I will start a new AD. My question is: the 5212 is about 40k. If I bought a white gold Rolex sub with the AD. Am I have a chance to get in the waiting list of 5212? Or I have to purchase couple PP before get in the waiting list?? How should I start? Thank you.
Old 7 October 2023, 09:26 PM   #11
londonpilgrim
"TRF" Member

5212A is a great choice for a first Patek.
londonpilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2023, 10:47 PM   #12
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by juth View Post
I like the 5212 is because it is not flashy. It is a PP. I always want a vintage look watch. I think I will start a new AD. My question is: the 5212 is about 40k. If I bought a white gold Rolex sub with the AD. Am I have a chance to get in the waiting list of 5212? Or I have to purchase couple PP before get in the waiting list?? How should I start? Thank you.
TBH the 5212 has been out for a while and IMO it’s not exactly a hype piece.

I’d just ask for it straight up.

If you want to buy other things it can’t hurt.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 02:57 AM   #13
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Google translate hat nicht funktioniert? Bisschen wenig Deutsche hier oder ;)

"Welcome to the world of watches! It's great that you're interested in the Patek Philippe 5212A watch. As a newbie in this field, it can sometimes be overwhelming to make the right choice. Here are some suggestions that can help you make your decision: Find out more about the watch: Start by learning as much as you can about the Patek Philippe 5212A. Explore its functions, movement, design, and history of this watch. The more you know, the better you will be able to decide if it suits your needs and tastes."
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 04:19 AM   #14
tng11
"TRF" Member

I've had my eyes on the 5212A as well over the last few years. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that going via the AD route is going to be impossible even though I'd like to have my name on the papers. Asked all the ADs in Canada, a few in the US, UK, HK and Singapore and pretty much got laughed out.

Shame considering I'd be okay with paying a bit more and I'd like to build a profile for the long run. I saw 2 examples in mint condition, less than a year old being sold for 34-35K USD while I was in Tokyo last month. Both greys still have them in stock.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 04:06 PM   #15
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Salons will tell you it's one of the most in-demand pieces probably because of the fact that it is steel and comes at a lower price point than other watches from Patek in the catalogue. I would stick to AD if you plan on purchasing other watches down the line, or go grey if it's a probable one and done with Patek.
I am waiting on the 5212 from a salon after purchasing only a 5235 and was told my time would come but should be patient. How much wait time - no idea.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 11:20 PM   #16
MAT4150
"TRF" Member

How do you like your 5235? I've been between that and a 5212 for my next PP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
Salons will tell you it's one of the most in-demand pieces probably because of the fact that it is steel and comes at a lower price point than other watches from Patek in the catalogue. I would stick to AD if you plan on purchasing other watches down the line, or go grey if it's a probable one and done with Patek.
I am waiting on the 5212 from a salon after purchasing only a 5235 and was told my time would come but should be patient. How much wait time - no idea.
MAT4150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 12:03 AM   #17
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAT4150 View Post
How do you like your 5235? I've been between that and a 5212 for my next PP.
I absolutely adore the regulator. Funny enough i was ready to purchase the 5524r but the SA pulled the regulator out and it was love at first trial. Note that many people will tell you it's an outlier in the Patek catalogue but i don't necessarily see it as a bad thing.
I would say it's more of a special occasions piece and would sit well in a diverse collection. If you want a one and done watch it's probably not the best candidate. 5212a might be easier to wear being in steel.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2023, 01:25 AM   #18
MAT4150
"TRF" Member

I have a 5110 that I love but the quirkiness of both of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
I absolutely adore the regulator. Funny enough i was ready to purchase the 5524r but the SA pulled the regulator out and it was love at first trial. Note that many people will tell you it's an outlier in the Patek catalogue but i don't necessarily see it as a bad thing.
I would say it's more of a special occasions piece and would sit well in a diverse collection. If you want a one and done watch it's probably not the best candidate. 5212a might be easier to wear being in steel.
MAT4150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 12:54 PM   #19
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Maybe in this climate you can get a 5212 without a purchase history but I doubt it. Good luck! I love it because it is very legible even though it has 5 central hands and the dauphine hands work really well in low light; and of course the dial fonr!

The SA case and cream color make it very easy to match any color strap and I use a bracelet most days because I am always washing my hands.

pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 01:29 PM   #20
juth
"TRF" Member

I never think I can get one without purchasing history. I need help on how to start the process. I was gonna purchase a white gold Rolex sub first then get in line for the 5212 will that work? That AD has Rolex and PP.
Old 14 October 2023, 01:58 PM   #21
watchguy1234
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnb View Post
Maybe in this climate you can get a 5212 without a purchase history but I doubt it. Good luck! I love it because it is very legible even though it has 5 central hands and the dauphine hands work really well in low light; and of course the dial fonr!

The SA case and cream color make it very easy to match any color strap and I use a bracelet most days because I am always washing my hands.

The bracelet is lovely. Can you share where you purchased this from? Thanks.
watchguy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 04:34 PM   #22
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=pdnb;12982789]Maybe in this climate you can get a 5212 without a purchase history but I doubt it. Good luck! I love it because it is very legible even though it has 5 central hands and the dauphine hands work really well in low light; and of course the dial fonr!

Is this blue strap a patek strap? If so, what's the color and leather?
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 07:56 PM   #23
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJZS2K View Post
Agreed. Good piece to ask but as far as I know it isn't available to just walk ins. Wearing mine right now on a delug strap. I love this thing.

Sent from my SM-F731U1 using Tapatalk
Hey.. May I know the strap size ?

Thanks
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2023, 07:57 PM   #24
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnb View Post

wow which bracelet is this
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote