The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11 March 2018, 12:15 PM   #1
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Cleaning Dial - Part Deux

So I have a project - well I have a small part of a project - and need some advice on the dial. My watchmaker is doing the overhaul but I’m either cleaning the dial or having it refinished.

I’ve found the most recent thread in WatchTech from 2014: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=350762

Do the experts know if any new products or tools have come about since then?

Now I know inquiring minds always want to know - and I’m prepared to tell all... With some pics.

My father’s old Omega Seamaster from the early 1960’s was set aside upon his death in 1984 by my Mom. She put it in a box and that went into a drawer and it lay there until her death in 2016. Oh, did I mention we all lived in Miami - and the home wasn’t air conditioned until the ‘90’s? Yes, the little microbes have had their day with the lacquer clear coat that covers the painted dial.

This was the dress style Seamaster - not the diver. Back in the ‘60’s Omega was putting the name on lots of models to help market them. It has the 550 movement and some parts are hard to get so I sourced a period correct 550 for my watchmaker to use as a parts bin (despite having a Swatch/Omega parts account some old parts are no longer orderable).

Here’s what I’m up against:

Dial with 50+ years of schmutz (my quasi-accurate description) and lacquer eating microbes/mildew. You can see I brushed a couple of the small mounds of puffy, crusty schmutz. The color is the yellowed lacquer that was applied to what was a silver painted dial.

Now, after reading some tips, talking with my watchmaker and reading threads on TRF - I applied some limited talent to a small segment using a soft brush.

Used a toothpick for just dislodging crusty mounds and around the hour markers/sticks. Kept the strokes light and followed a tangent from the center hole to the outer edge.

Here’s where I am now - and the reason for the question.

There is some stubborn yellowed lacquer that won’t be easily moved off the surface. And I worry about damaging the underlying dial. You’ll see where one segment of the chapter ring held up to the brushing while and adjacent segment departed with the schmutz.

A new type cleaning product that eats lacquer but doesn’t eat dial paint would be great. But the silk screened script is an obvious concern.

Thanks in advance for any advice from your professional personal experience. If there is no hope here then I’ll just have to send it to the refinishers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote