The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 9 July 2018, 07:20 AM   #1
K2Luxury
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, FPJ + LF
Is the Lange Zeitwerk Minute Repeater a flop ?

I have been thinking, is it too much money for a watch that looks just like the Striking Time ?

None of our friends among the big collectors have pulled the trigger on it.
Wondering what the issue is...

Any thoughts ??

Shaz
Old 9 July 2018, 08:02 AM   #2
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!

Interesting question. Unless you have insider information around the number of units ALS have sold on this model. Not sure how your statement / query can be substantiated ?

Is your criteria financial success or something else?

Are you basing this on not seeing the watch on many wrists?

Actually some brands and watch models measure their ‘success’ on how rare they are... 🧐

I personally like the watch a lot and it is uncommon to see compared to the relative rarity of minute repeaters on the wrists of WIS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 08:26 AM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

does a white gold watch look too similar to a stainless steel one? Same thing. If you like the complication its probably worth it
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 09:13 AM   #4
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
I would be glad to have it on my wrist. For the price I can’t think of something I would rather have.
cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 10:21 AM   #5
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Luxury View Post
I have been thinking, is it too much money for a watch that looks just like the Striking Time ?

None of our friends among the big collectors have pulled the trigger on it.
Wondering what the issue is...

Any thoughts ??

Shaz
Are you referring to the striking time or is there another piece? I’m sure part of the issue is the size. The zeitwerk is already too big for most people without making it bigger and thicker. I love it though.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 10:38 AM   #6
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Hi Shaz,

Can you please share the price you're selling the Minute Repeater, Decimal, and Striking Time pieces for? Understanding the price differences across these 3 models will allow us to shed some further light on the item as I'm honestly not sure myself.

I'm in the market for a chiming Zeitwerk myself so any information you can share would be of great interest, thanks!
eviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 12:54 PM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Are you guys able to easily move any high dollar langes? I just assumed they sold slow in general. I know even the entry level pieces move like molasses at all the dealers I visit. Pity because they are such nice pieces. This hobby is an emotional one and for me the langes often lack that warmth the Swiss brands have developed so well.
Old 11 July 2018, 05:35 PM   #8
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Are you guys able to easily move any high dollar langes? I just assumed they sold slow in general. I know even the entry level pieces move like molasses at all the dealers I visit. Pity because they are such nice pieces. This hobby is an emotional one and for me the langes often lack that warmth the Swiss brands have developed so well.
Lange just don't move, most of the PP AD in Taiwan requires buyers to buy a Lange to get on the list for pieces like 5711.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 07:43 PM   #9
gengar
"TRF" Member

Is something really a flop if no one else does it? And the minute repeater complication is far more interesting to me than the sonnerie, tbh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cda555 View Post
I would be glad to have it on my wrist. For the price I can’t think of something I would rather have.
I can think of two minute repeaters I'd rather have, and I'd be able to buy nearly both of them for the 500k+ CHF asking price for the Zeitwerk minute repeater.

I honestly love digital displays and the look of the Zeitwerk and wouldn't mind picking up the base model at some point for the novelty (it'd be great for my first ALS), but the 44mm+ diameter and 14mm+ height of the minute repeater make it unwearable for me.
gengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 01:16 AM   #10
K2Luxury
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
Interesting question. Unless you have insider information around the number of units ALS have sold on this model. Not sure how your statement / query can be substantiated ?

Is your criteria financial success or something else?

Are you basing this on not seeing the watch on many wrists?

Actually some brands and watch models measure their ‘success’ on how rare they are... 🧐

I personally like the watch a lot and it is uncommon to see compared to the relative rarity of minute repeaters on the wrists of WIS.

It was a very "candid" question... not motivated by any special agenda.
Just that a few of my colleagues and other ADs I know told me they didn't manage to sell any.

And on top I haven't seen any around thats it...
K2Luxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 01:23 AM   #11
K2Luxury
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviperman View Post
Hi Shaz,

Can you please share the price you're selling the Minute Repeater, Decimal, and Striking Time pieces for? Understanding the price differences across these 3 models will allow us to shed some further light on the item as I'm honestly not sure myself.

I'm in the market for a chiming Zeitwerk myself so any information you can share would be of great interest, thanks!

The Minute Repeater is around $ 340k
Decimal Strike $ 115
Striking Time (depends on metal) in the $ 93k range

I think looking at the numbers written here answers my question...
Old 12 July 2018, 01:32 AM   #12
K2Luxury
"TRF" Member

Quote:

We did sell some expensive Langes, lately the Datograph Tourbillon (2 pieces) but you are right except the special pieces its generally slow.
But I must say, they have some exceptional watches
Old 12 July 2018, 04:40 AM   #13
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I would not call it a flop. It is different and probably a smaller fan base. With that said, it probably wont hold value if you purchased at MSRP. I own a datograph up down and the timezone 1. Been considering selling the later. At one point considered the zeitwerk. I have a small wrist so would have to be the plain Zeitwerk and even then still not sure how well it would fit. And to be clear, I do not always buy a watch based on what I predict its value to be. I buy what i think i would like and sometimes it has turned out to be positive in terms of value and other times not.

Quote:
We did sell some expensive Langes, lately the Datograph Tourbillon (2 pieces) but you are right except the special pieces its generally slow.
But I must say, they have some exceptional watches
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 04:44 AM   #14
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Watch collecting is indeed an emotional hobby. I have often asked myself why I havent own a Lange until now. They are nice watches, with good discount to be had and superbly well made. But some how or rather none of them actually "click". The watches sometimes languishing on AD display for years at a time also add to the unfortunate impression that nobody wants them. For example my local AD in Jakarta have an 1815 chrono in WG that has been around for more than 2 years now and they cant move it despite offering a steep discount. Even the strap has worned out from many customers trying them on but not buy.

The closest Lange I will eventually get is probably the Zeitwerks but I am waiting for Lange to make some improvement on this model before I take the plunge.
Old 12 July 2018, 05:07 AM   #15
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!

Quote:
It was a very "candid" question... not motivated by any special agenda.

Just that a few of my colleagues and other ADs I know told me they didn't manage to sell any.

And on top I haven't seen any around thats it...

No issues. They are nicely made watches I think. Perhaps these will be the models that end up being collectible 30-50 yrs down the road...

alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 05:17 AM   #16
Vipes
"TRF" Member

If I’m in the market for a MR, I’m looking at Patek and not Lange. I love Lange but Patek makes the best MR, IMHO.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 06:55 AM   #17
K2Luxury
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
If I’m in the market for a MR, I’m looking at Patek and not Lange. I love Lange but Patek makes the best MR, IMHO.

Patek's Minute Repeater's are indeed a safe bet and easy to wear
Had a crush on a 5207p honey dial... unfortunately had to let it go...

Shaz
Old 12 July 2018, 01:55 PM   #18
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Minute Repeater is around $ 340k
Decimal Strike $ 115
Striking Time (depends on metal) in the $ 93k range

I think looking at the numbers written here answers my question...
Yes, exactly.

For me, I think I'm going to purchase the Striking Time REF: 145.029. The Striking Time complication is more useful for me than the Decimal Strike, so that's an easy choice.

As for MRs, I'd also choose Patek, and there is plenty of choice.

Out of interest, what prices are the Datograph Perpetual Tourbillon's actually selling for in the current market?

It's a beautiful watch...

eviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 02:40 PM   #19
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Patek's Minute Repeater's are indeed a safe bet and easy to wear
Had a crush on a 5207p honey dial... unfortunately had to let it go...

Shaz
I no longer feel Patek makes the best MR in terms of sound. More brands are getting very good at it. However, when you throw in other things such as history, second hand value, and etc., yeah, Patek is still the top choice.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 03:26 PM   #20
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Wow, lots of differing opinions on here. Interesting to say the least. I can't afford all of the high end pieces just yet, but I'm more comfortable on the more affordable end of each watch brand. However, after much soul searching, I don't find Patek Philippes to really strike me. I don't like the Nautilus as much as others crave it. I personally like the Aquanaut more, but even then it's not as attractive to me as the Girard Perregaux Laureato. While I find it kind of ugly, I only like the 5119 and 5120 because of how old world and strange their hobnail bezels are and I strongly considered them just because of their unique designs. Otherwise, I feel none of the designs have spoken to me.

I find that Audemars Piguet only makes Royal Oak watches and lacks creativity beyond the Royal Oak and Offshore watches. However, I respect the Royal Oak and I wish I could have one in the future just because of how important the time piece was in transforming the mechanical watch from function to luxury, which Rolex has since perfected in the marketplace.

Of the Big 3, I personally find Vacheron Constantin to have the best dress watches with designs that speak to me from their Patrimony to Traditionnelle designs.

With all that said, none of the Big 3 speak to me in the way that makes me truly want them beyond just the brand name. I just want one or more from each brand because of their prestige, not because I actually like them.

I think Lange is a little bit different for me. Their design language is very set in stone from their 3 piece case designs, alpha sword hands, to their movement designs. It's all very austere and everything is done expertly well. Simple, more is less type of designs.

But mostly, it's the story. I just love the story behind A. Lange & Sohne compared to the Big 3. Or maybe it's because I just like German things such as cars and watches. Whatever the case is, I don't really care about resale value since I don't buy and trade up to something else. I pick my pieces based on what I like and what I can afford and keep them with me throughout my life time as they age with me.

Also, I always find it sad that Breguet isn't considered one of the Big 3 Swiss watchmakers. I personally find their French style watches to be a turn off but at the same time, I highly respect their history and even their design language. I'd actually rather have a Breguet and Vacheron Constantin over a Patek Philippe and Audemars Piguet just based on designs alone, however, it seems people only talk about Patek Philippe and Audemars Piguet here.
tryptobphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 08:17 PM   #21
K2Luxury
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviperman View Post
Yes, exactly.

For me, I think I'm going to purchase the Striking Time REF: 145.029. The Striking Time complication is more useful for me than the Decimal Strike, so that's an easy choice.

As for MRs, I'd also choose Patek, and there is plenty of choice.

Out of interest, what prices are the Datograph Perpetual Tourbillon's actually selling for in the current market?

It's a beautiful watch...

The Datograph Tourbillon is at around USD 255k (retail is higher)

Shaz