The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 14 March 2020, 11:10 AM   #1921
-lenny-
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 👑
I just shake my head... Stockpiling bananas? Those things are stinky and brown in like 5 days tops!
Old 14 March 2020, 11:18 AM   #1922
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by -lenny- View Post
I just shake my head... Stockpiling bananas? Those things are stinky and brown in like 5 days tops!
Just my personal opinion... I think people are worried about supply chain transportation disruption.
This island store is not large, and provides groceries, cleaning supplies, etc and some OTC/hygiene products for local families and a lot of elderly.
I was surprised because I would never have thought bananas would be so popular. It is possible though that a lot of banana bread is on the menu at many households.
Old 14 March 2020, 11:41 AM   #1923
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Sounds like it’s way more widespread then being reported, Ohio saying they could have as many as 100,000 cases. How can we know when we aren’t testing.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Old 14 March 2020, 11:46 AM   #1924
chappuy1750
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: JLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Ok all I am going to re-open this thread but take notice of this final warning. If I have to clean up one more political post the thread closes and the member goes no questions asked.
Thank you. Great thread worthy of a second [or third] chance. We very much appreciate your efforts to keep it on track and within guidelines.
Old 14 March 2020, 11:54 AM   #1925
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

I flew this morning , I was the only one wearing a mask and everyone and their dog coughing , sneezing , hacking a lung were not wearing anything and barely trying to stop putting it everywhere so I don’t have a whole lot of faith in most people.
Old 14 March 2020, 11:56 AM   #1926
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Friend sent me this today. What a world we live in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 March 2020, 12:00 PM   #1927
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Old 14 March 2020, 12:04 PM   #1928
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Oh my...
Old 14 March 2020, 12:07 PM   #1929
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carry The Interest View Post
Nothing official but potentially a significant uptick in flights getting cancelled.

I believe Delta cancelled more flights beginning this weekend than even after 9|11 attacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 14 March 2020, 12:16 PM   #1930
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:

Somehow I don't think that would go down very well in a bank.
Old 14 March 2020, 12:19 PM   #1931
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Quote:

Laugh if you will but you gotta be careful with those dollar bills folks, they are rife with all sorts of microscopic evilness. He must have really needed that tp!
Old 14 March 2020, 12:23 PM   #1932
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
The safest place to be social seems to be with my TRF friends

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Old 14 March 2020, 12:23 PM   #1933
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgodiving View Post
Laugh if you will but you gotta be careful with those dollar bills folks, they are rife with all sorts of microscopic evilness. He must have really needed that tp!
Yes, I've heard that cash is quite dirty. But I guess we could always launder it.
Old 14 March 2020, 12:54 PM   #1934
77T
2024 Pledge Member

the Coronavirus outbreak thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post
Yes, I've heard that cash is quite dirty. But I guess we could always launder it.

As info, Dr. Fauci had a CNN interview with Anderson Cooper a night or two ago. Among many issues, mail, paper and currency were discussed - FWIW here is that section of the transcript below -

Anderson Cooper:
We got a lot of questions, the questioner has. Emily Mitchell, Salt Lake City. Emily, what’s your question?

Emily Mitchell:
Hi, Anderson. Thanks for having me. My question is regarding the mail. I’m a stay at home mom and I do a lot of online shopping, so I’m curious how long Coronavirus lives on surfaces and how we should be handling the mail?

Anderson Cooper:
We’ve got a ton of these, Dr. Fauci. Mail, also money, currency.

Dr. Fauci:
Yeah. There was a paper that was either submitted or already published from one of our people who looked at the detection of viable virus on a variety of substances; stainless steel, polypropylene, cardboard cloth and things like that. For the most part, the titration of it and the titer of it on surfaces is probably measured in a couple of hours. I would think something that goes to the mail, by time it gets to you, that’s it. And even if it is on there, would it be high enough of a concentration to actually be transmitted? Although it’s important, I don’t want to downplay the recommendations of wiping down the kinds of things that you could easily wipe down; doorknobs and screens and things like that. I think if you start thinking about money and mail and things like that, you could almost sort of immobilize yourself, which I don’t think is a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 14 March 2020, 12:57 PM   #1935
77T
2024 Pledge Member

BTW, I’m using ApplePay for this whole trip - pay off my AppleWatch without touching anything

Old 14 March 2020, 12:59 PM   #1936
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
At this point any overreaction is applauded.

Old 14 March 2020, 01:00 PM   #1937
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
BTW, I’m using ApplePay for this whole trip - pay off my AppleWatch without touching anything

I’ve been on that Apple Pay and now it’s more useful than ever. I went to a crappy store that didn’t accept it and had to use my cc and sign lol I felt like I was touching a public toilet seat
Old 14 March 2020, 01:05 PM   #1938
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’ve been on that Apple Pay and now it’s more useful than ever. I went to a crappy store that didn’t accept it and had to use my cc and sign lol I felt like I was touching a public toilet seat

Not me - if they don’t do ApplePay I whip out cash and tell them to keep the change Brings a whole new perspective on solicitous tipping.

I did teach a few fast food people how to do ApplePay- they didn’t even know they had it despite the big sticker on the front door...

So I should probably ask Apple for a slice of the commission

Old 14 March 2020, 01:18 PM   #1939
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
There are 8 confirmed cases in my hometown of San Diego (county wide). Out of a population of over two MILLION. So... roughly saying, the odds are around 250,000 to 1 of contracting this virus... even less of suffering long term health problems and even less of dying from it.

I don’t see what the panic is about.
So, you think that only 8 people in your hometown have contracted the virus? Get back to me in a couple of months and tell me if you still believe that only 8 people in your hometown were infected when you wrote that.

There is no need to panic. Just protect yourself against the virus and the inevitable consequences of this outbreak.
Old 14 March 2020, 02:04 PM   #1940
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
Bananas display, March 13, 2020 1600 ET

No panic.

Bananas have been in low supply for awhile now Wal Mart is always out like Submariners ..FOMO time.

People freaking out about people freaking out is just plain freaky.
Old 14 March 2020, 03:52 PM   #1941
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
As info, Dr. Fauci had a CNN interview with Anderson Cooper a night or two ago. Among many issues, mail, paper and currency were discussed - FWIW here is that section of the transcript below -

Anderson Cooper:
We got a lot of questions, the questioner has. Emily Mitchell, Salt Lake City. Emily, what’s your question?

Emily Mitchell:
Hi, Anderson. Thanks for having me. My question is regarding the mail. I’m a stay at home mom and I do a lot of online shopping, so I’m curious how long Coronavirus lives on surfaces and how we should be handling the mail?

Anderson Cooper:
We’ve got a ton of these, Dr. Fauci. Mail, also money, currency.

Dr. Fauci:
Yeah. There was a paper that was either submitted or already published from one of our people who looked at the detection of viable virus on a variety of substances; stainless steel, polypropylene, cardboard cloth and things like that. For the most part, the titration of it and the titer of it on surfaces is probably measured in a couple of hours. I would think something that goes to the mail, by time it gets to you, that’s it. And even if it is on there, would it be high enough of a concentration to actually be transmitted? Although it’s important, I don’t want to downplay the recommendations of wiping down the kinds of things that you could easily wipe down; doorknobs and screens and things like that. I think if you start thinking about money and mail and things like that, you could almost sort of immobilize yourself, which I don’t think is a good idea.

Some posts may be misinforming us?

An Australian doctor answering questions 10 minutes ago on ABC News stated that viable coronavirus has been found after being on a solid surface for up to 9 days depending on temperature and humidity?

That is a little different from ‘probably a couple of hours’?

Is this thread is causing more harm than good?

Old 14 March 2020, 03:58 PM   #1942
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
The toilet paper thing is a great example of how panic breeds panic. I heard about this toilet paper hoarding, and thought, how ridiculous! But then I’m like, well, if I can’t get it easily and there’s a shortage, I guess I need some.... and this is the self fulfilling prophesy-like cycle. Crazy.
Old 14 March 2020, 04:12 PM   #1943
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
I flew this morning , I was the only one wearing a mask and everyone and their dog coughing , sneezing , hacking a lung were not wearing anything and barely trying to stop putting it everywhere so I don’t have a whole lot of faith in most people.
That is horrifying.
Old 14 March 2020, 04:39 PM   #1944
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are 8 confirmed cases in my hometown of San Diego (county wide). Out of a population of over two MILLION. So... roughly saying, the odds are around 250,000 to 1 of contracting this virus... even less of suffering long term health problems and even less of dying from it.

So keep in mind, that doesn’t say 2,500 total cases, it’s says 2,500 new cases that day

On Valentine’s Day, would anyone have believed it if someone said the entire country of Italy will go into lockdown by mid March? It was the whole “no need to panic” perspective that led Italy to its crisis now.
Old 14 March 2020, 04:53 PM   #1945
mjr24
Banned

Definitely got real in my area today.....both Wisconsin and Illinois governors ordered all schools closed....Illinois until at least March 31 and Wisconsin until at least April 5.
Old 14 March 2020, 05:08 PM   #1946
SearChart
TechXpert

Rush hour trains are empty here, panic definitely has spread... Also toilet paper shortage
Old 14 March 2020, 05:51 PM   #1947
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Apple closes all stores WORLDWIDE except for the 42 stores they’ve recently re-opened in China a few days ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...a-til-march-27

My thoughts?

Bad move IMHO, they should have closed all stores! The world outside of China has been completely alienated.

Lovely... great way to inadvertently show their support (disrespect) for their historic prosperity that’s been fueled by the US and EU.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Old 14 March 2020, 05:55 PM   #1948
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Apple closes all stores WORLDWIDE except for the 42 stores they’ve recently opened in China a few days ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...a-til-march-27

My thoughts?

Bad move IMHO, they should have close all stores! The world outside of China has been alienated. Bad move...
Makes perfect sense. China has it under control, the rest of the world does not.
Old 14 March 2020, 05:56 PM   #1949
A971
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There were 8 confirmed cases at one point in every instance / town / city / country of this outbreak.

Nobody started at 1,000 or 10,000. Even Wuhan.

What makes you think that the trajectory that you witnessed, now countless times globally, does not apply to your circumstances?

I agree that you shouldn’t panic... not helpful.

But genuinely curious — how is it that you feel that your situation is different?

Old 14 March 2020, 05:58 PM   #1950
Tommyk
"TRF" Member

I'm really disappointed in the amount of group think that exists. All I went to the store for was some beer and a salad. And I end up seeing mass chaos and empty shelves at my local trader Joe's.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Closed Thread