The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 5 December 2012, 11:45 AM   #1
jphj012
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Omega and Cartier Comparison

Since I have no experience with Omega and Cartier watches, are they both in the same class? In terms of movement, I would assume Omega has the upper edge. However, with brand recognition, resale value, reliability, design, and elegance, which would come on top?
jphj012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2012, 03:11 AM   #2
Cuts33
"TRF" Member

Since nobody chimed in I will take a stab at it.

For the past several months I was very close to pulling the trigger on the calibre de cartier with the white dial and black strap. I loved the watch but something was "just not right."

I began looking at other watches including Rolex, IWC, JLC, Panerai. At the end of the day, I went with the Omega PO 8500.

These are just my personal opinions but to me Omega represents a better value over Cartier in terms of what you are getting from a mechanical/engineering standpoint.

The Calibre was the only Cartier I seriously considered because it was the only one with their new in-house movement (they have since added it to the new Tank). I couldn't justify $5-$6K in my own head for an off the shelf ETA movement finished by Cartier.

However, even though Cartier does produce their own movement, to me, the 1904-MC calibre is nothing special and I don't see anything "innovative" about it. For that reason, I give the upper hand to Omega and the 8500 movement, which you can learn a lot about by searching the forum.

In terms of brand recognition, I think most people in the US have heard of both. I would imagine that more people associate Cartier with luxury than they would with Omega. Unfortunately Omega dug a pretty big hole for themselves during the "quartz years" and is only recently digging their way back out. You also have to remember that the amount of people who go on watch forums is a very very very tiny minority of the general population.

Reliability - I think the 8500 is probably more durable but its yet to be proven. However, Omega does offer a 4 yr warranty versus 2 yr from Cartier.

Resale value - if you buy with a good discount or used you won't take too much of a hit if you go to resell it. If you buy new at MSRP, I would think they are about the same in terms of resale value. Both will lose 30-50% depending on the model.

Design, elegance, etc. - that's all up to you and is a personal preference.

At the end of the day, I don't think you can wrong with either.

For me though, I cared more about what I was getting versus what other people thought I had. This and other factors made Omega the easy choice for me.

GOOD LUCK!
Cuts33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Bulldurham08
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
IMO, to the general public, most would say Cartier. Unfortunately, when it comes to watches, I put Omega on top.

Most watch savvy folk would prefer a Omega over a Cartier for reasons stated above...innovation, design, RELIABILITY, etc.

Like mentioned above though, the WIS population is so minute compared to the general public...

Bulldurham08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2012, 12:34 PM   #4
jphj012
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Thank you Cuts33 and Kyle for your input. Both of you have interesting points.
jphj012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2012, 12:10 AM   #5
Elementa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai, Rolex
I think Cartier makes a beautiful watch but not in the same league as Omega.
Elementa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2012, 04:03 AM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

I think if you look at resale value you should go for Omega.
Both brand make good quality watches and are very reliable.
However design and elegance is a matter of personal opinion, I'd never get a PO, it's just too bulky imo. I like the 300m smp and every de ville but that is again just my opinion.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2012, 04:21 AM   #7
JB7
"TRF" Member

It's a strange comparison in the first place, I think.

It's more common to say, Omega v Rolex, or Omega v Tag, but that's a new one on me...

Not to take anything away from Cartier, they're a brand I associate with someone 'older'.
JB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2012, 06:03 AM   #8
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Cartier are mainly a jewelry brand more comparable to Chopard than a pure watchmaker like Omega and Rolex. For ladies Cartier is the most desired watch brand generally in a similar vein to Rolex for men.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote