The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 April 2015, 09:23 PM   #1
Rmatlanta
"TRF" Member

How to switch strap on 5127

Hello all. Sorry for the dumb question. I'm switching the strap on my 5127 and I don't know how to do it (old and new are PP leather straps). Is this something I can pull off myself? Do I need a tool? Thanks!!!!
Rmatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2015, 12:42 AM   #2
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
You need a strap removal tool to remove the springbars. I would recommend getting a set of quick change bars for future swaps (you'll need right strap).
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2015, 02:54 AM   #3
Rmatlanta
"TRF" Member

Thank you!!
Rmatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2015, 03:20 AM   #4
jopek
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, IWC , Rolex
There is a good video on how to do this without scratching your watch.(be aware of the occasional slip of bad language but otherwise good)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbqKXpIlhRE

Then a Mike suggests, a strap with quick removal spring bars is a good idea.
However, Patek ones are Gold and i did read somewhere on this forum that they are AD only supply and expensive.

Good luck.
jopek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2015, 04:00 AM   #5
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
When I got my 5712 sized the watchmaker broke his screw driver, in front of me, I thought my heart was going to stop as I was expecting a HUGE scratch, but by a miracle not a scratch...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2015, 06:12 PM   #6
jopek
"TRF" Member

... Im shaking just reading that !
So glad i have quick release.
Old 28 April 2015, 08:21 AM   #7
PP101
"TRF" Member

Presumably genuine real PP straps cannot be used with the quick release spring bars, as the straps will not have the little cut out in the strap which seems to be needed ?

Are the quick release bars 100% safe and could they scratch the watch case if they have a small protrusion out towards the case ?
PP101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2015, 01:28 AM   #8
jopek
"TRF" Member

My new PP came with the quick release bars and a small cut out at one end. Its perfectly fine and cannot scratch.
Old 29 April 2015, 02:49 AM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

Quick change spring bars on these high-end watches are a must, you do not want to scratch the back of your lugs with some metal tool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
When I got my 5712 sized the watchmaker broke his screw driver, in front of me, I thought my heart was going to stop as I was expecting a HUGE scratch, but by a miracle not a scratch...
Lucky you, I broke a screwdriver while working on an old pocket watch movement some time ago, the watchmaker who previously worked on it had turned the screws so tight that my screwdriver head broke off at the tip and I ruined the Geneva stripes on the gear train bridge... fortunately for me the movement was just for training purposes and did not belong to anyone.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2015, 02:53 AM   #10
PP101
"TRF" Member

When did PP start fitting quick release as standard (if they are now fitted as standard) ?

Also, is it correct that PP use special gold spring bars as suggested above, and if so are these available as an add on to a strap order placed with PP (logic would suggest they are, but who knows what PP charge for them ....) ?

Lastly, are all spring bars the same ? If I were to order a PP strap without spring bars but then try and fit with cheapo steel spring bars, would they definitely fit the opening on the PP strap ? It could be that PP have adopted some sort of quirk in their spring-bar shaping to avoid this and force one to buy PP spring-bars.
PP101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 08:30 AM   #11
shnxx
"TRF" Member

Any more information about this?
I'm looking to get a custom strap for mine but it seems like the spring bar will make that difficult.
Old 31 May 2016, 08:35 AM   #12
Alford78
"TRF" Member

I'm interested too but as far as custom straps the maker should be able to make the cutout just like Patek does and I've seen some custom straps with the cutouts but cannot recall who made them. I wouldn't mind having these springbar types with every watch if that's possible.
Alford78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2016, 08:40 AM   #13
shnxx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alford78 View Post
I'm interested too but as far as custom straps the maker should be able to make the cutout just like Patek does and I've seen some custom straps with the cutouts but cannot recall who made them. I wouldn't mind having these springbar types with every watch if that's possible.

Yes that would be pretty sweet
Old 31 May 2016, 12:08 PM   #14
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quick release are the way to go...I did a number on the back of the lugs on some beaters after a ton of strap changes
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote